As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    So you can buy the Faux Hollows mount with a gold Khloe commendation if you have one. At first I thought it was just bait, but then I found out it's not binding so you can actually sell it on the market board.

z2sl9sg.png

I think I could have gotten away with charging more maybe, but I think I came out of it about better than I expected to as it was.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roegadyn
    Also, leave it to Koji and team to work a Weird Al reference into the Nier raid quest chain.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    finally made it to shb but decided to do a pit stop and finish the crystal tower chain

watching mechanics videos took longer than it took pugs to steamroll the fights

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    zucchini wrote: »
    finally made it to shb but decided to do a pit stop and finish the crystal tower chain

watching mechanics videos took longer than it took pugs to steamroll the fights

yah, all of Crystal Tower is pretty trivial. The HW Alliance is a little harder, but not much. The SB one can wipe you in some places. ShB is actually kind of hard.

That said, even the newer and harder Alliance Raids are designed to be forgiving. 24 people doesn't mean 24 people who need to play perfectly, it means two backup tanks, five backup healers, and any number of backup rezzers, plus a bunch of red shirts that can fade in and out of life without effecting much more than the time-to-kill.
    simulacrum wrote: »

hey I know this one

• Options
    Lalafell
    which is good, because I occasionally zone out during long fights

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    So that one enemy in the Heroes’ Gauntlet has me more confused than before.
    Not only does the Ink Mage have Flambé II, which I guess is based on Broil II, but it also has Ruin III, and Gravity.

So it’s a Scholar, and a Summoner, and an Astrologian, of all things.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So that one enemy in the Heroes’ Gauntlet has me more confused than before.
    Not only does the Ink Mage have Flambé II, which I guess is based on Broil II, but it also has Ruin III, and Gravity.

So it’s a Scholar, and a Summoner, and an Astrologian, of all things.
    no it's an ink mage

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    somehow i ended up getting wind up onion knight and puff of darkness today

woo

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Shiva fight was pretty neat

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    who's ready to watch yo-kai

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    More Eden definitely won’t happen until 5.4 right?

So, like, early 2021?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    that is my understanding of the roadmap yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I would have been quite upset to do some of these quests before the introduction of flying mounts in ARR zones

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Lalafell
    I got a clear of the new EX trial on what had been a practice party!

And my weapon dropped!

Not a bad evening.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I would have been quite upset to do some of these quests before the introduction of flying mounts in ARR zones

Oh god yeah, I was so glad I had a stack of aetheryte tickets to burn through back when I started playing (I started when HW came out)

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I thought they said that they're gonna be back to the every 3 months cycle on patches now? Or at least close to it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    5.4 will be november/december barring some new delay

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    the plan is to just resume the old cycle but the pandemic isn't going anywhere so who knows

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    The delay was caused because they needed to setup their WFH workflow, now that that's in place they can continue working at their usual pace. I'm totally fine with a 4m patch cycle, though. I'm a casual scrub with a huge backlog of games anyway.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    Started playing this again. Leveling AST this time. Alternating between PotD and doing Dungeons. Slowish going, but I'm getting like 2 levels a night

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Hyur
    I think I officially hate everything about this event. Blue Mages having their whole arsenal regardless of level means that I've lost out on even Bronze participation in Fates I've been present for from beginning to end, because everything dies before I can see it, much less target and hit it. And the rewards just look shoddy and cheap. The art style of this Yo-kai Watch franchise says "toys you buy from a gas station vending machine" to me, and the mounts, minions, and weapons look jarringly out of place, like they were modeled originally for a PS2 era game that came free in a cereal box.

Also, a warning. The weapons from ARR and Heavensward jobs can go in your Armoire, but the new weapons from Stormblood and Shadowbringers jobs can not. Even though I have space to spare, having this crappy looking junk sitting around eating up inventory slots is going to irritate me enough that if they don't patch them in to the Armoire within two weeks, I'm setting that as a deadline to throw them away.

I'd skip it entirely, but I can unfortunately imagine a future where I'd want to cosplay as a Kingdom Hearts expanded universe D-List antagonist, and these weapons seem made for just that.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    just give it some time, this event was going to be weird day one, even without blue mages

(though I do find it darky funny that some of the game's most maligned content is suddenly extremely useful)

• Options
    Lalafell
    you don't need to get gold to get tokens though right?

the low level fates are rough without suitable AOEs but the hw/sb ones arent too bad, especially with all the people

• Options
    Cactuar
    I wasn't going to bother, but I kind of unironically love all the silly and bright looking weapon skins

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

the low level fates are rough without suitable AOEs but the hw/sb ones arent too bad, especially with all the people

You need to get at least silver rank, IIRC. The issue is mostly just stuff like swiftcast 1000 needles, The Dragon's Voice being a humongous AoE, and Missile having pretty decent accuracy and halving the fate boss' HP with every shot.

• Options
    Lalafell
    hmm interesting.

I'm working backwards since the arr stuff is easier to solo as we get later into the event, fortunately theres tons of people out in sb/hw zones

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Neveron wrote: »

You need to get at least silver rank, IIRC. The issue is mostly just stuff like swiftcast 1000 needles, The Dragon's Voice being a humongous AoE, and Missile having pretty decent accuracy and halving the fate boss' HP with every shot.

Yeah... the Stormblood fates aren't as insane because BLU caps at 60 still, but that's only for two of the weapons. If you're having trouble in earlier areas, note that FATE credit is based on aggro, so tank stance+AoE is pretty effective at racking it up fast.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

Oh

Ooooooh

I thought the game was lagging when the boss's hp just suddenly went in the toilet.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    The Rising will be coming on the 27th. Also, the furnishing reward is based on this side story.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Cactuar
    Does healing people grant Fate stuff?

• Options
    Miqo'te
    turtleant wrote: »

Oh

Ooooooh

I thought the game was lagging when the boss's hp just suddenly went in the toilet.

If two Missiles go off at the same time, that's 100% damage! If someone actually manages to land a Tail Screw, that just outright sets HP to 1 - and Level 5 Death is an instant kill against stuff with levels divisible by 5. There's also Doom (15s delayed instant death) and Launcher (10-50% damage AoE).

Stormblood is mostly safe from it since you can't instant death anything above your level, but there's a couple level 60 FATEs in The Fringes where a blue mage can do four million damage to a grizzly bear.

• Options
    Au'ra
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Does healing people grant Fate stuff?

Yes

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    turtleant wrote: »

Oh

Ooooooh

If two Missiles go off at the same time, that's 100% damage! If someone actually manages to land a Tail Screw, that just outright sets HP to 1 - and Level 5 Death is an instant kill against stuff with levels divisible by 5. There's also Doom (15s delayed instant death) and Launcher (10-50% damage AoE).

Stormblood is mostly safe from it since you can't instant death anything above your level, but there's a couple level 60 FATEs in The Fringes where a blue mage can do four million damage to a grizzly bear.

Can probably also join some of these guys in their parties.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i love blue mage

when it came out, everyone hated it because it was just a really boring, grindy mini-game with no rewards and no interesting or fun spells to learn, with extremely limited amount of content it can even do, and where the few powerful spells that'd be fun to use don't work on basically anything that you'd want to use them on

and for the first time since coming out it's found something that it's really powerful at, and can actually use the gimmicky broken spells on. griefing other players trying to do a really boring, grindy collectathon. just such a well designed job. it's excellent

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Well, this was inevitable. As we all know, the core identity of Blue Magic has always been the ability to bypass boss fights with non-standard status effects. Such that making it comparable to other jobs in the same game would make it unrecognizable. It's similar to how the Bard job is inseparable from a musical instrument weapon type, or how Throw is a core part of Ninja.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    To be fair, they got more interesting spells in the upgrade to level 60.

They've still got huge issues, though. Mighty Guard could maybe get lowered damage penalty in Aetherial Mimicry (Tank), AM in general should probably swap your role for AI purposes (gotta love those abilities that target off-tanks instead being random), and Tank/Healer stance just need more spells in general. And that's before you get into Duty Finder issues and being forced to go through dungeons to get spells but having to use the party finder to do so.

• Options
    Lalafell
    You know what could (have been) an interesting take on Blue Mage? Make it an All-Rounder role, like you-know-who from the main story. Have Aetherial Mimicry alter which spells are available to you based on your role, essentially giving the job a different set of skills focused to that role. So like, if you mimic DPS, you get skills like Moon Flute, which greatly boost your damage output, or a combo of Angel Whisper and Final Sting to survive a suicide attack with low HP. Mimic Tank to have access to stuff like Mighty Guard, and so on.

The problem is that that's essentially the Arcanist problem mapped onto 3 roles instead of just 2. But that could be a neat way of making a huge spellbook work.

• Options
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    You know what could (have been) an interesting take on Blue Mage? Make it an All-Rounder role, like you-know-who from the main story. Have Aetherial Mimicry alter which spells are available to you based on your role, essentially giving the job a different set of skills focused to that role. So like, if you mimic DPS, you get skills like Moon Flute, which greatly boost your damage output, or a combo of Angel Whisper and Final Sting to survive a suicide attack with low HP. Mimic Tank to have access to stuff like Mighty Guard, and so on.

The problem is that that's essentially the Arcanist problem mapped onto 3 roles instead of just 2. But that could be a neat way of making a huge spellbook work.

Let's be honest - the problem with having BLU do heals or tanking is that monster abilities are 99% damage output, because enemies healing themselves back up isn't fun and them being tough is usually just stats and passive effects.

This discussion has been closed.