As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Rival Wings is the best right now... Played six rounds, won six rounds. No one knows what they are doing and it is the best for people like me trying to get our rival wings mounts. Just a little direction and my team steamrolls the other team. Going to be sad when people figure this PvP mode out in the next couple days.

Sat beside the enemy base in an oppressor and just hammered it with missiles, no one was even attacking me... it was bizarre. When the other team finally came to kill me (after getting about 7-8 missiles off), it was two other oppressors. My wife was asking why I was laughing.

Oh god, really? I know what I'm doing after work tonight then.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Is it even worth messing around with material until the late game

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited May 2020
    Au'ra
    Is it even worth messing around with material until the late game

Materia are pretty strictly for endgame. You can slap em in sockets fine before then, but anything outside of extreme trials+ difficulty won't need them at all.

Polaritie on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    If not max level, sell your materia on the market board.

If the materia you have is worthless, use 5 of them a week for that Challenge log entry to get a crafting class some extra XP (XP is percentage-based and scales with level).

If all your crafting classes are maxed...I dunno, set up a marble racing league?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    some lower level materia is useful for some quests like some of the older relic weapon quests, I think that's the only reason it has value on the marketboard. Other than that you really only care about USING the most current 2 levels, which is... 7 and 8 in shadowbringers? Primarily 8s, 7s are only used for overmelding crafted gear.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Au'ra
    some lower level materia is useful for some quests like some of the older relic weapon quests, I think that's the only reason it has value on the marketboard. Other than that you really only care about USING the most current 2 levels, which is... 7 and 8 in shadowbringers? Primarily 8s, 7s are only used for overmelding crafted gear.

V and VI have some niche use for maxing stats on some gear still due to being cheaper. Especially Vs, as they overmeld the same as VIIs.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I know very little about this "squadrons" thing because I've mostly ignored it. Are they like trusts in that you can run dungeons with them but they run it about half as fast as an actual formed party does?

You have a control panel that I don't think you get in Trusts, and your squadrons have buffs and such you can equip.

For a while when they first came out, Squadrons were super fast if you spammed the attack button with an Archer in your squad, because that would make them spam Barrage with no cooldown and murder trash mobs in short order.

Viera
    they're like trusts with less personality and less being scripted to actually do mechanics

BahamutZERO.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    OK, looked up a(n old?) video about Rival Wings, and it seems simple enough to grasp the concept. Get Ceruleum to summon robots. Defend towers with cannons. Cruise Chasers are for killing players, Oppressors are for slowly marching up to the towers and killing them with missiles, and Brute Justices are for making a comeback after some of your stuff gets blown up.

Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    OK, looked up a(n old?) video about Rival Wings, and it seems simple enough to grasp the concept. Get Ceruleum to summon robots. Defend towers with cannons. Cruise Chasers are for killing players, Oppressors are for slowly marching up to the towers and killing them with missiles, and Brute Justices are for making a comeback after some of your stuff gets blown up.

Cruise chasers are useful for killing players, but the priority is generally to smash the other team's robots with em.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Just remember Mechs>Merc>Mid for priority of what to do

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    Thinking of trying to transfer servers, none of my IRL friends play anymore

Polaritie wrote: »

Cruise chasers are useful for killing players, but the priority is generally to smash the other team's robots with em.

I use their conal attack to coral the enemy players and force them away from our opps too...

Killing people doesn't really matter, which confuses new people. Forcing the enemy players to withdraw and keeping them off your opps is just as good as killing them.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Is there a PA free company?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Viera
    not really, there's some PA people in Ghost on Sargatanas but it's not primarily a PA FC and isn't tied to the forums. PA people are scattered around.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the PA forums, just generally speaking, are not a particularly large social group these days

liEt3nH.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    GHOST is a much bigger collection of randos than it is a forum FC.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    I'm in GHOST. It's got a lot of good people in it even if they're not from the forums.
    And one I'm not particularly fond of, but I just don't engage with that particular person.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    hope it's me

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    stormblood white mage quests spoilers, discussion of eorzean medical science

They haven't been paying attention. The alchemist's guild runs a version of St. Jude's in Ul'dah, and several quests have made it clear that there is a popular understanding of what cancer is. Eorzean medicine isn't as advanced as our own, but it's definitely not medieval - more along the lines of being around turn of the 20th century.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    hope it's me

he told me it is

EzUAYcn.png
    edited May 2020
    Nah, it's not a forumer.

I was trying to say not everyone in the guild is great without calling a specific person out. Especially when they're not even here.

Lars on
    Au'ra

They haven't been paying attention. The alchemist's guild runs a version of St. Jude's in Ul'dah, and several quests have made it clear that there is a popular understanding of what cancer is. Eorzean medicine isn't as advanced as our own, but it's definitely not medieval - more along the lines of being around turn of the 20th century.

I mean, SCH's cleanse used to be called Leeches. But when it actually works because magic, well. And yeah, Eorzean medicine isn't bad between Ul'dah's alchemists and Gridania's conjurers - in terms of the care available it's probably closer to the middle of the century because magic.

Really though, the fact that alchemy actually works (and is incredibly potent when it's a master doing it), the existence of white magic, etc. all make direct comparisons hard. Eorzeans can do things modern medicine simply can't in terms of rapid recovery.

Are there any prosthetics in Eorzea?

(Spoiler for HW and later)
    I know Raubahn doesn't seem to wear one, and I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else that would need a prosthetic.

I'm sure that Garleans probably have them.

edited May 2020
    Au'ra
    Lars wrote: »
    Are there any prosthetics in Eorzea?

(Spoiler for HW and later)
    I know Raubahn doesn't seem to wear one, and I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else that would need a prosthetic.

I'm sure that Garleans probably have them.

I don't think we ever see any. Garleans definitely have the tech for that, so one assumes Cid and Nero could do it if so inclined. For an Eorzean approach I would assume you'd start with mammet tech. The goldsmiths guild could probably pull it off, it would just be expensive.

Polaritie on
    edited May 2020
    Lalafell

I mean, SCH's cleanse used to be called Leeches. But when it actually works because magic, well. And yeah, Eorzean medicine isn't bad between Ul'dah's alchemists and Gridania's conjurers - in terms of the care available it's probably closer to the middle of the century because magic.

Really though, the fact that alchemy actually works (and is incredibly potent when it's a master doing it), the existence of white magic, etc. all make direct comparisons hard. Eorzeans can do things modern medicine simply can't in terms of rapid recovery.

Note that "Leeches" had a significantly different name in the Japanese. seimeijoukahou, which apparently means something like "Life-purifying method". Which sounds more like the Scholar applying a medical theory.

A bunch of Scholar skills have that sort of name, which is more of an explanation than a name. Lustrate is life-refreshing method, Sacred Soil is Battlefield Medical Treatment Circle. And my favorite: Adloquium is Encouragement Plan. I'm trying to heal people with words of encouragement. Which actually seems less medically sound than leeches.

I kind of like the Japanese names, because they fit with the idea of the Scholar being a battlefield tactician, applying a variety of theories and plans to a given battle.

Enlong on
    Au'ra

Note that "Leeches" had a significantly different name in the Japanese. seimeijoukahou, which apparently means something like "Life-purifying method". Which sounds more like the Scholar applying a medical theory.

A bunch of Scholar skills have that sort of name, which is more of an explanation than a name. Lustrate is life-refreshing method, Sacred Soil is Battlefield Medical Treatment Circle. And my favorite: Adloquium is Encouragement Plan. I'm trying to heal people with words of encouragement. Which actually seems less medically sound than leeches.

Oh, SCH is absolutely the closest to a modern doctor. Their entire theme has been healing via applied knowledge. Their use of bio/miasma was perfectly on theme too - they damage enemies via poison and disease. The upgrade from Bio to Biolysis continues that actually... I kind of think SCH might actually be the nastiest healer in terms of offense because how they attack is to directly destroy their opponent's body.

But unlike WHM and AST, SCH is a lost art (although the current state of the SCH storyline implies a potential for it to rapidly return) - canonically WoL is basically the sole active user of it.

edited May 2020
    Lalafell
    That said, the SCH questline adds at least one more, and creates the opportunity for the knowledge to spread again.

Which kinda reminds me of how the SMN questline results in a whole squadron of Summoners being trained for fighting Primals.

edit:

Also, it only now occured to me how appropriate the use of Miasma is to the Scholar. Being that miasma was an archaic theory of how disease spreads, before germ theory got off the ground.

Enlong on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    That said, the SCH questline adds at least one more, and creates the opportunity for the knowledge to spread again.

Which kinda reminds me of how the SMN questline results in a whole squadron of Summoners being trained for fighting Primals.

All of the nations have been expanding their corps to include jobs. Gridania has been training BRDs, Ul'dah has a corps of SMNs, Limsa has a squad of WARs, and Ishgard is retraining their ASTs in the full Sharlayan tradition.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited May 2020
    Au'ra

All of the nations have been expanding their corps to include jobs. Gridania has been training BRDs, Ul'dah has a corps of SMNs, Limsa has a squad of WARs, and Ishgard is retraining their ASTs in the full Sharlayan tradition.

I mean, half the jobs are already a thing in those nations. PLD and DRG are regular forces in their respective countries for instance (though DRG is a bit special there). WHM is a long tradition (of being taught to very few). Many other jobs are just foreign rather than lost arts or anything (like the whole of Kugane's guards are SAM basically)

Polaritie on
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    considering playing this... havent played since realm reborn and as expected its overwhelming

"I'm going to do this Raid Roulette real quick before running to the bathroom."
    *Queue Pops. Hits Accept."
    "Wait, why are there so many people in the notification?"
    *Realizes I'm in Alliance Raid Roulette instead of Normal Raid Roulette*
    "FUUUUUUUUUUU"

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

I mean, half the jobs are already a thing in those nations. PLD and DRG are regular forces in their respective countries for instance (though DRG is a bit special there). WHM is a long tradition (of being taught to very few). Many other jobs are just foreign rather than lost arts or anything (like the whole of Kugane's guards are SAM basically)

RDM, MNK (I think), NIN, and GNB used to be in the same position as PLD and DRG before everything went down in their respective nations, too. The only really novel jobs, lorewise, are Machinist and to a lesser extent Blue Mage.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Au'ra
    Skeith wrote: »

RDM, MNK (I think), NIN, and GNB used to be in the same position as PLD and DRG before everything went down in their respective nations, too. The only really novel jobs, lorewise, are Machinist and to a lesser extent Blue Mage.

BLU is just foreign again - long tradition in it's home region, and lots of current users... just not in Eorzea. I do like that MCH is a new thing, and the job crystal description is unique to reflect that.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    hope it's me

It's probably me.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    *justin timberlake voice* it's gonna be me

Lars wrote: »
    Nah, it's not a forumer.

I was trying to say not everyone in the guild is great without calling a specific person out. Especially when they're not even here.

Every FC seems to have these people. Mine has a couple incels who only appear around new content for like a month or two. So far I've managed to ignore them, but I don't think i will be able to with the next patch.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.