As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hyur
    Aurum Vale, Dzemael Darkhold and Cutter's Cry are the trio of kind of weird dungeons that seem to evoke world design from FFXI a little more strongly to me. Particularly the uneven floors with a lot of geometry it's easy to get your feet hooked on. I could easily imagine each of them as branches of the Crawler's Nest, Garliage Citadel, and Quicksand Caves respectively.

And yeah, the first room of Aurum Vale definitely recreates the FFXI feel of taking one wrong step and aggroing an entire fucking zone. Players screaming in broadcast for all the lower level hunting parties near the entrance to the Yhoator Jungle to hide, because they're running for the zone border and bringing every goblin in existence with them.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    several of the 2.0 dungeons are reworked 1.0 areas, and "dungeons" were apparently way different back then

the linear dungeon design from 2.1 onward can sometimes feel limiting, but it really is a necessary evil if people are primarily going to be running them with three strangers who don't communicate

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Aurum Vale, Dzemael Darkhold and Cutter's Cry are the trio of kind of weird dungeons that seem to evoke world design from FFXI a little more strongly to me. Particularly the uneven floors with a lot of geometry it's easy to get your feet hooked on. I could easily imagine each of them as branches of the Crawler's Nest, Garliage Citadel, and Quicksand Caves respectively.

And yeah, the first room of Aurum Vale definitely recreates the FFXI feel of taking one wrong step and aggroing an entire fucking zone. Players screaming in broadcast for all the lower level hunting parties near the entrance to the Yhoator Jungle to hide, because they're running for the zone border and bringing every goblin in existence with them.

Good lord this took me back, I can see the stream of mobs behind the unlucky soul now, starting to zone to escape but still getting hit one last time and dying, and leveling down to boot. Ah memories.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Au'ra
    To be fair, the outcome can be okay for rDPS classes there... I've finished off bosses that way on occasion. Run like hell and just keep shooting.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    So, our group downed E5S on the first night we tried it, got E6S done four weeks later, and just now finished E7S six weeks after that, although two of those weeks we had to PUG a tank. About how long does successfully learning E8S usually take? (if adjusted for the fact we only attempt raids one night a week)

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    see you in 3 months

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    SabreMau wrote: »
    So, our group downed E5S on the first night we tried it, got E6S done four weeks later, and just now finished E7S six weeks after that, although two of those weeks we had to PUG a tank. About how long does successfully learning E8S usually take? (if adjusted for the fact we only attempt raids one night a week)

Gonna be a while. E8 is significantly harder than all the other ones by a large large margin.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Yeah, E8S is a pretty big step up this tier. Best advice is to pick a Light Rampant strat early and then just stick to it. It's a wall of a mechanic, there are a million ways to do it, and you will wipe there for a long time no matter which one you pick. Only thing to do is to just drill the movement/timing over and over again until everyone has it down.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Is there any reason not to pop a melee limit break on a dungeon boss if we've got it

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Is there any reason not to pop a melee limit break on a dungeon boss if we've got it

Go for it

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    turtleant wrote: »
    The first room of aurum vale is type of dungeon design that never shows up again and it's weird.

Big open room with patrolling mobs just ain't this game's style.

The Fucking Vale is one of a handful of 1.x dungeons that just got a quick onceover before getting put in. It's telling that those dungeons as a whole tend to be the dungeons everyone hate to get in roulette.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

If you have a caster or ranger, you can use a limit break between bosses to do a bunch of damage to a big group of enemies. Helps clear them out quicker and puts less pressure on the healer or tank. Seeing as dungeon bosses rarely have anything approaching an enrage mode, the random enemies may be harder encounters, if the tank likes to pull the entire dungeon.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    At least it has decent boss fights in 2.0

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell

The Coincounter is a nasty surprise, though. I think he's the first Minotaur-type enemy you're likely to encounter, and that type having AOEs only telegraphed by name and facing is something that kills a lot of newbies.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Enlong wrote: »

The Coincounter is a nasty surprise, though. I think he's the first Minotaur-type enemy you're likely to encounter, and that type having AOEs only telegraphed by name and facing is something that kills a lot of newbies.

yep hi this was me

I kept getting KO'd and being like what the fuck even happened

• Options
    At least the two-handed swing that one-hit KOs non-tanks can be stunned every time it comes up, unless someone else is stunning him more often and causing him to go immune early.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    At least the two-handed swing that one-hit KOs non-tanks can be stunned every time it comes up, unless someone else is stunning him more often and causing him to go immune early.

...fuck, really?

I need to stun more in ARR content I guess; I only learned about stunning the Castrum Mid colossus recently too.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it varies which ARR bosses can be stunned or not, but that one definitely can be. I dash through him for every one-handed club swing, and when he goes for both hands I hit Low Blow. The cooldown on that is 25 seconds, but it'll be back up before it's time for the next 100-Tonze Swing.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    ph blake wrote: »

...fuck, really?

I need to stun more in ARR content I guess; I only learned about stunning the Castrum Mid colossus recently too.

Almost all 2.0 content bosses can be stunned.

2.X is a lot of the dev team learning and futzing around with stuff.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Au'ra
    If you want to flex, stun the doom mechanic on the first Qarn boss.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    So, yeah, I just ran a bunch of things to check who's stunnable in ARR.
    [Sastasha]
    Chopper: Yes
    Captain Madison: Yes
    Denn the Orcatoothed: Yes

[Tam-Tara Deepcroft]
    Void Soulcounter: Yes
    Galvanth the Dominator: No

[Copperbell Mines]
    Kotos: Yes (however, the Flambeaus in the gauntlet are immune)
    Ichorous Ire: Yes
    Gyges the Great: No

[Halatali]
    Firemane: Yes
    Thunderclap Guivre: Yes
    Tangata: No

[Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak]
    Coeurl O' Nine Tails: Yes
    Graffias: No

[Haukke Manor]
    Manor Claviger: Yes
    Manor Jester/Steward: Yes
    Lady Amandine: Yes

[Brayflox's Longstop]
    Great Yellow Pelican: Yes
    Inferno Drake/Tempest Biast: Yes
    Hellbender: Yes
    Aiatar: Yes (in both locations)

[Sunken Temple of Qarn]
    Teratotaur: Yes
    Golem Soulstone: No / Temple Guardian: Yes
    Adjudicator: Yes

[Cutter's Cry]
    Myrmidon Princess: No
    Giant Tunnel Worm: No
    Chimera: No

[Stone Vigil]
    Chudo-Yodo: No
    Koshchei: No
    Isgebind: No

[Dzemael Darkhold]
    All-Seeing Eye: No
    Taulurd: No
    Batraal: No

[Aurum Vale]
    Locksmith: Yes
    The Coincounter: Yes
    Miser's Mistress: No

[Trials]
    Bowl of Embers: Yes
    The Navel: No
    The Howling Eye: No

Cape Westwind: No
    The Chrysalis: No
    The Steps of Faith: No
    A Relic Reborn Chimera: Yes
    A Relic Reborn Hydra: No
    Battle on the Big Bridge: No
    The Dragon's Neck: No
    Bowl of Embers (Hard): Yes
    The Navel (Hard): No
    The Howling Eye (Hard): No
    Thornmarch (Hard): No
    The Whorleater (Hard): No
    The Striking Tree (Hard): No
    Akh Afah Amphitheatre (Hard): No
    Urth's Fount: No

Bowl of Embers (Extreme): No

I didn't check the level 50 dungeons, the Bahamut raids, or the rest of the Extremes, because I've already been awake too long and while the 50 dungeons might be a mix of stunnable and immune, there are too many of them for right now. I can't exhaustively check all the Bahamut ones solo, and I'm assuming that anything immune in Hard is also immune in the Extreme. The one exception is that Ifrit is stunnable in Normal and Hard, but not Extreme.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Most pro stuns are on the giant robot sword guy boss in Castrum Meridianum. Just never let it go invuln.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    That one requires multiple stuns to prevent all of his immunities, right? Or is there a specific timing where you can stun only once and it keeps him from shielding up? In the former case, I'd assume it would need a paladin, the only class with a stun that has no cooldown aside from GCD, or coordinated teamwork stuns.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Miqo'te
    That one requires multiple stuns to prevent all of his immunities, right? Or is there a specific timing where you can stun only once and it keeps him from shielding up? In the former case, I'd assume it would need a paladin, the only class with a stun that has no cooldown aside from GCD, or coordinated teamwork stuns.

80% 50% and 20%

Only tanks need to coordinate it typically, first stuns second tank does and third is done by the first tank as it should be up in time.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    Au'ra

It takes multiple, yes. Most groups will whiff it and you just wait for it to die. Worth noting that DoT effects snapshot, so landing them before it goes immune will mean full damage during it from them iirc.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you can definitely skip the third without stunning him but i'm not sure how to do it reliably

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I use a lot of fantasias
    you can definitely skip the third without stunning him but i'm not sure how to do it reliably

good group damage, is my best guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hyur
    Decided to try being a Healer for once, queued up as a baby Conjurer. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I can imagine how much worse it could get at higher levels. I have a mouse and keyboard for my PS4, but I get occasional spikes of weird input lag on the keyboard that would be more than enough to get a party killed, so actual team gameplay is all on the controller for me.

I think beyond hardware trouble the thing that stresses me out most about healing, and to a lesser extent tanking, is that they require a greater degree of knowledge of what we're going to fight and what it's capable of. When I'm bringing the DPS, I know exactly how hard to go - full throttle, at all times. But when I'm on the mitigation side of the team I seem to play far too cautiously, and that slows things down.

Anyway, going to take Conjurer up to at least 30 so I can have a full set of job stones, and finally retire my Friendship Circlet and Brand-new Ring from EXP boosting duty.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Healing is like a upside down curve

Easy at the start cause you got like two buttons, annoying in the middle cause you don't have your full kit, and then easy again at level cap with your full kit (in normal mode content of course).

Getting level synched below 30 on SCH is the most boring dungeon run you'll ever do. Even with fairy heals not being as strong as they used to, you'll still spend 99% of the run just pushing Ruin 1 over and over.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Eh, most boss mechanics are pretty similar after a while. There's unique things in every one of them, but the unique parts are usually the most telegraphed and start off rather non-lethal.

Obviously Ex trials etc are a different beast.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

good group damage, is my best guess.

You can also potentially skip the second without stunning a second time, though that requires very good damage

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Don't forget to get your free unicorn after you unlock WHM.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Miqo'te
    I might use that more if the horse model in game didn't looks like someone who never saw a horse before modeled it off of the verbal description from a drunk person.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Au'ra

You know, I've never been able to figure this out, because the quest doesn't seem to be there for me.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Polaritie wrote: »

You know, I've never been able to figure this out, because the quest doesn't seem to be there for me.

It's from somebody down in the conjurer guild cave in Gridania iirc, not the WHM trainer.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Roegadyn

It's from somebody down in the conjurer guild cave in Gridania iirc, not the WHM trainer.

also you specifically have to be a conjurer to get it, that's what usually trips people up

just unequip the job stone

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Au'ra

also you specifically have to be a conjurer to get it, that's what usually trips people up

God dammit. That's dumb.

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    heavensward is fun so far

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra

God dammit. That's dumb.

A good descriptor for the CNJ/WHM storyline in general.

This discussion has been closed.