As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] WWE roster receives "quiet demotion" to developmental performance center

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It at least makes sense for AEW to talk about video games because one of their top guys is both super into video games and literally in video games. It's an easy and natural merchandising opportunity and just a chance to make a good wrestling game which they actually have experience in playing and fond memories of. And they're doing it in a space where WWE2K games have been shit for a long time. The last game Vince McMahon probably played was cup and ball, and the XFL is going into an area against the dominance of Madden and Fifa.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    jonny439 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that racism accusations won’t prevent Tessa from becoming champion in TNA or any major promotion unless there is some heavy mainstream coverage and negative financial consequences. I hope I’m wrong but Hulk Hogan is currently on a legend contract with “PG” WWE that has national sponsors.

Her other bad behavior bullying and locker room fights are definitely something that any promotion could easily sweep under the rug. I hope I’m wrong I really do.

I feel like Hulk Hogan got forgiven because he is Hulk Hogan, still one of the most recognizable in the wrestling world. And he was still kicked out for a couple of years and had to do a public ”apology” tour before he could get back in. Which is fucking gross but here we are.

Tessa Blanchard is not nearly as big of a name, and despite being a third generation wrestler, not someone WWE ever picked up, besides a couple of sporadic appearances. As so many women came forward at once, I wouldn’t be surprised if this just a thing that was “known” but not talked about, so she was passed up. Because while WWE is willing to defend some shitty stuff when you’re with the company and make them money, why would they actively take on a young talent who it sounds like is a fuck?

I wouldn’t be surprised if TNA goes through with it, as they are kind of in a corner storyline wise, but they are also inviting some bad headlines if they make her champion.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    WWE already has the role of asshole third-gen wrestler filled by Orton. And if he gets put on the shelf, Bo Dallas is right there to pick up the slack

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Tessa Blanchard is not nearly as big of a name, and despite being a third generation wrestler, not someone WWE ever picked up, besides a couple of sporadic appearances. As so many women came forward at once, I wouldn’t be surprised if this just a thing that was “known” but not talked about, so she was passed up.

Can't speak as to if the racism had anything to do with it, can only speak to what I know was talked about/rumored at the time, which is during the MYC she pissed basically everyone off (talent and management), criticized other talent, and supposedly leaked the results (nobody knew why but it seemed obvious it had at least something to do with being out in the first round). TL;DR of it is her being a jerk has been a thing that's followed her around wherever she's went the last 5 years

Can't speak as to why it hasn't really stuck in fans' minds until now. Could be a lot of people finally taking women's wrestling seriously in the past year or two, could be people finally looking past the last name

If there's positives to take away: it's getting noticed now. It's not going away tonight regardless of the result. And it's already directly costing her money/bookings

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I can't believe Trent Seven is fucking dead.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Tessa Blanchard is not nearly as big of a name, and despite being a third generation wrestler, not someone WWE ever picked up, besides a couple of sporadic appearances. As so many women came forward at once, I wouldn’t be surprised if this just a thing that was “known” but not talked about, so she was passed up.

Can't speak as to if the racism had anything to do with it, can only speak to what I know was talked about/rumored at the time, which is during the MYC she pissed basically everyone off (talent and management), criticized other talent, and supposedly leaked the results (nobody knew why but it seemed obvious it had at least something to do with being out in the first round). TL;DR of it is her being a jerk has been a thing that's followed her around wherever she's went the last 5 years

Can't speak as to why it hasn't really stuck in fans' minds until now. Could be a lot of people finally taking women's wrestling seriously in the past year or two, could be people finally looking past the last name

If there's positives to take away: it's getting noticed now. It's not going away tonight regardless of the result. And it's already directly costing her money/bookings

I think there's just a difference between "she's kind of a dick" and "she's actively racist." Like, I was able to enjoy her work when I just thought she was an ass because I don't have to work with her, but this is a bridge too far.

• Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Marty Scurll is staying in ROH and is now head of creative as well. This is pretty shocking considering AEW folks seemed to imply that him working there was all but a done deal. I mean he’s young and maybe after a few years he could still end up there but this is really surprising.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Of all the things Marty could have done at this point in his career, staying in ROH is the one I least saw coming.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    I'm guessing that getting the book is what pushed him over the top. That's way more interesting than anything they'd have him do in AEW. (Leading Goth Cult #5. He'd be leading Goth Cult #5).

• Options
    Wondered why he was getting offered all that money by them just to stay, so being their head booker definitely helps that make sense

• Options
    Wondered why he was getting offered all that money by them just to stay, so being their head booker definitely helps that make sense

Yeah but he's still booking ROH. What's the point at this point?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

He could be the guy who turns it around.

This is a big chance for him.

Also Tessa imploding and Marty getting the book

what a weird start to 2020

• Options

He could turn it around

But yesterday was the first show he was "heavily involved with" apparently, and it ended with a world title match between PCO and Rush where Nick Aldis stood tall. So. Not something I'd bet on

• Options
    Dear Marty: book Marty to be world champ

• Options
    Dear Marty: book Marty to be world champ

Hes allowed to work NWA so maybe he wins that title

• Options

Maybe the Inner Circle can have a heavy who’s actually allowed to wrestle now.

• Options
    Tessa won the TNA world title

• Options
    edited January 2020

The finish was some video game ass finisher spam

also those Canadian destroyers looked TERRIBLE

EDIT here we go,

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

The finish was some video game ass finisher spam

also those Canadian destroyers looked TERRIBLE

EDIT here we go,

Yikes those are some awful looking moves. I'd feel bad for Sami there but he's hurt people before and promo'd it so eh...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

She got some noticeable (even for TNA audio) boos during her entrance, I wasn't surprised at that

If WWE's taught anybody anything, it's "if you're in charge of a company, never linger on a show-closing moment that'll have negativity"

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to be happy about Brian Cage in AEW. So happy to be seeing him wrestle regularly.

• Options
    Tessa gave a post-PPV promo saying nobody's perfect and no matter what you say about her, she has a strong mind and won't let it get to her

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular

Better to rule in hell than serve in heaven?

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Tessa gave a post-PPV promo saying nobody's perfect and no matter what you say about her, she has a strong mind and won't let it get to her

Thats a way to go after being outed as a racist bully. I would have at least pretended I was going to change.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    “Pobody’s Nerfect” is certainly one way to handle these allegations I guess. What an evil dunce.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

Thats a way to go after being outed as a racist bully. I would have at least pretended I was going to change.

I don't know...the honesty of not even acting like you're going to change is kind of a nice change up.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I mean at least Hulk Hogan gave a half assed apology, Tessa’s response was basically “shit happens”

That will probably be good enough for an depressingly large group of wrestling fans though.

jonny439 on
  • Options
    So I plan on being in Tampa Bay from the Thursday before Mania and leaving Monday so if anybody is interested in splitting an air bnb pm me. I'm going to a bunch of indy shows and will have a Busch Gardens pass that can get you discount tickets for those interested.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's not really surprising Impact didn't really blink at the allegations, given who was already holding the title.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    According to Ryan Satin, part of Marty's new position at ROH will be to strengthen the existing relationships with NJPW and NWA, and potentially start one with AEW. So there is that.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    People need to stop doing the Canadian Destroyer for a while, I can't believe it's pretty much become a transitional move at this point.

• Options
    According to Ryan Satin, part of Marty's new position at ROH will be to strengthen the existing relationships with NJPW and NWA, and potentially start one with AEW. So there is that.

He seems like a guy who would be well-positioned to do that. Wait, did RoH actually do something smart?

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I've been pretty burnt out on wrestling and not watching anything for the past month or so. But Sunday morning when I woke up there was a Fall Guy marathon on. The first episode was wrestling themed. As I was wondering if any real wrestlers from back in the day were going to show up...in comes Andre the Giant. That was fun and I didn't remember him having an appearance on the show.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Every wrestling company really needs to chill out on the Canadian Destroyers.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Every time I see a Canadian Destroyer it looks really silly and dangerous to me. It does not look devastating, it just looks like a dangerous gymnastic stunt.

I swear people are doing it just because it's dangerous and it's cool to do dangerous shit.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
This discussion has been closed.