As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scorpions and Shujenga: Tabletop Games Folded 1000 Times

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z-smXt2G7sOD2Si3QGTrBDTnbcY-TkGA/view?usp=sharing

Tom is a busy person. Another new mech, once again in an early draft. The SSC Emperor, a long range support mech. Specializes in granting overshield to allies (though it also has an ability that grants overshield to enemies but makes it explode when it's depleted) and shooting lightning. Only has 5 HP, but it also has resistance against all damage that originates from more than 3 spaces away.

Also in Vampire 5th edition news, I just found out they did a kickstarter for a new book which I'm sad I missed. Adds a lot of details on religion and cults for the setting, but also adds in the Hecata which was one of the clans I was looking forward to the most. The Hecata are a conglomeration of the various necromancer clans from earlier editions and share the Oblivion discipline with the Lasombra. There's a manuscript available for backers, so there's a bunch of details available (though I sadly won't have access to the manuscript myself until they open up the backerkit for additional purchases, but I'm not running V5 right now anyway). They've greatly expanded Oblivion to include more necromantic support powers (like being able to see tethers, items that bind spirits to the world) and with new "Ceremonies" (like Rituals for Blood Sorcery) that include the straight up raising the dead or binding spirits parts. Also a few Lasombra themed ceremonies as a callback to Abyss Mysticism. They also added a TON of customization to Hecata to represent the various sub-factions that compose them via loresheets. Notably some of the sub-clans get different disciplines (standard array is Oblivion, Auspex, and Fortitude) like Giovanni substitute Dominate in place of Auspex, or Gorgons (The Lahmia) substitute Potence in place of Auspex. They also just add a ton of really cool abilities via Loresheets. Like Harbingers of Ashur (Capadocians combined with Harbingers of Skulls) can straight be a ghost inhabiting a vampire's corpse and gain resistance to things like dominate (but a vulnerability to powers that manipulate spirits), or a Dunsirn can use their wealth to buy and maintain separate identities, and Nagaraja can of course eat flesh instead of drinking blood. Sounds like they did a lot of work to make sure you can customize Hecata a ton so you can choose to run a full Hecata game if you want.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Other character concepts I am working on:

- Some sort of ex-spy for a minor noble house. My initial plan was just that they had gotten burned and were currently laying low, but I'm kind of bored of that already so I'm working through some other ideas. Top runner is that they pulled off the heist of the century and managed to get away with enough money to live out the rest of their life hidden away in a cabin. Or so they thought - they've run out of money and are now an old and out of practice spy working like, basic second story jobs in order to make ends meet.
    - A fighter, just because I love the DW fighter. Probably armed with some sort of cool polearm, I've been thinking some variety of haughty noble who washed out of military training because they weren't immediately made a commanding officer. But I'm joining an established game (I mean, like one adventure established, but still), and standoffish prick characters kind of suck for that.

Maybe the Burn Notice version of the burned spy? Blacklisted and no idea why?
    "My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a spy until... "We've got a Burn Notice on you, you're blacklisted." (Whistles) When you're burned, you've got nothing. No cash, no credit, no job history. You're stuck in whatever city they decide to dump you in. You do whatever work comes your way. You rely on anyone who's still talking to you: a trigger happy ex-girlfriend, an old friend who used to inform on you to the F.B.I. Family too; if you're desperate. And a down and out spy you met along the way. Bottom line: as long as you're burned you're not going anywhere."

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That was kind of where my initial thoughts were headed, but I...

Well honestly, I couldn't come up with a way to make them look cool. Everything I pictured was just athletic and moderately attractive person in their late 20s to 30s. With y'know, daggers and stuff. Which is fine, but also starts feeling like plenty of other characters I've played (or, really, NPCs that I've played, as I've spent a lot of my time GMing). Playing a thief would be good because I know that the existing players are already trying to plan a heist, but I think that's making it feel even more like just playing a stock NPC character, y'know?

• Options
    edited February 2020

Well honestly, I couldn't come up with a way to make them look cool. Everything I pictured was just athletic and moderately attractive person in their late 20s to 30s. With y'know, daggers and stuff. Which is fine, but also starts feeling like plenty of other characters I've played (or, really, NPCs that I've played, as I've spent a lot of my time GMing). Playing a thief would be good because I know that the existing players are already trying to plan a heist, but I think that's making it feel even more like just playing a stock NPC character, y'know?

Turn the description on its head? Everybody suspects a superspy with the James Bond physique, and maybe if the job is to infiltrate the Kings Court and report back to his enemies that's a good idea. But for the most part, being a spy is about being nondescript. Who's going to expect the slightly overweight, slightly but not overly below average looking schlub with a bum knee of being the spy? You don't have to be an amazing physical specimen to be dexterous and charismatic.

Even better, tell the party you're an old servant or performed some minor role in a temple or something as a very not-important priest. Then you can have those fun moments where you pick a lock using some tools that were concealed on somebody else's person, and when your party is going "Hey, how do you know all this sketchy stuff?" and you can be "I have no idea what you're talking about, it was unlocked the whole time."

edit: And it just so happens that you "know a guy" in whatever far-flung place you need a contact in.

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    tonight we got into a fight we were absolutely not ready for with a high priestess of Myrkul

she downed three of us with a single fireball (including both our healers)

our fighter managed to close the distance and fuck her up extremely while I stood back and blasted her, making her burn a bunch of spell slots on Shield

she finally panicked and Misty Stepped away from him, only to wind up... right next to me
    she tried to run away but provoked an attack of opportunity from me, from the one weapon I had that could take advantage of that - a humble dagger

so after all that I just stabbed her in the spine and down she went

mean bunch here in Baldur's Gate

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    My friend has decided to run with my dumb idea of a Barbarian with the Noble background

Just a big dumb posho whose ancestor spirits are like the Victorian ruling class stereotype, all bluster and "I say, this simply will not do, harrumph"

In the Perth crew's last campaign I rolled a noble lizardfolk barbarian, or 'noblizarian', named Irhtos. His backstory was that he'd been left as an egg on the doorstep of a wealthy human family in Waterdeep, the Goldfellows. They raised him as their own son, but when he began experiencing berserker rages he set off on a journey to discover his ancestral roots. Then he made some friends, got distracted and killed a bunch of giants instead.

EDIT: I've said this before but while berserker barbs are a good build for players new to 5e, if you're at all comfortable with 5e systems then Spirit Totem is probably a lot more fun and lends itself to better RP opportunities.

Butler on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Some more Unearthed Arcana subclasses. I've really liked the last several that they've put out, and this is another good set. Creation Bard, Love Cleric, and Clockwork Sorcerer

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020-Subclasses02.pdf

I like the Clockwork's ability to cancel advantage or disadvantage. The Love Cleric's central ability seems really good, and the Creation Bard has a nice enhancement to bardic inspiration.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I really like the sorc level 1 thing because that stays super relevant forever. And it's a cool and flexible mechanic.

The cleric level 1 feature seems incredibly op. Giving two people a permanent +1d4 to everything is just insane.

The bard is a fun theme but is quite weak, imo, especially compared to the other two.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

Turn the description on its head? Everybody suspects a superspy with the James Bond physique, and maybe if the job is to infiltrate the Kings Court and report back to his enemies that's a good idea. But for the most part, being a spy is about being nondescript. Who's going to expect the slightly overweight, slightly but not overly below average looking schlub with a bum knee of being the spy? You don't have to be an amazing physical specimen to be dexterous and charismatic.

Even better, tell the party you're an old servant or performed some minor role in a temple or something as a very not-important priest. Then you can have those fun moments where you pick a lock using some tools that were concealed on somebody else's person, and when your party is going "Hey, how do you know all this sketchy stuff?" and you can be "I have no idea what you're talking about, it was unlocked the whole time."

edit: And it just so happens that you "know a guy" in whatever far-flung place you need a contact in.

I am now considering a spy who is based primarily on Harvey Bullock, with some additional influence from Columbo and Brad Pitt in the Ocean's movies.

I don't think I'll be able to get away with the false identity when joining the party trick, as I have done that before and at least one of the players knows about it, but we'll see, I may still try it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I kind of like the idea of a nondescript, dumpy, decisively non-action, non-charismatic spy who's like "Well yeah, spying is 99% bureaucracy - just, bureaucracy done in their headquarters". Probably wouldn't make for a very engaging character to play, though.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I kind of like the idea of a nondescript, dumpy, decisively non-action, non-charismatic spy who's like "Well yeah, spying is 99% bureaucracy - just, bureaucracy done in their headquarters". Probably wouldn't make for a very engaging character to play, though.

I think theoretically that is the sort of thing I would like to do, although I agree it's not a terrible engaging character to play.

I'm also working to make sure things still mesh with the thief playbook - at a certain point you start wondering why this person can even backstab someone in the first place.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Some more Unearthed Arcana subclasses. I've really liked the last several that they've put out, and this is another good set. Creation Bard, Love Cleric, and Clockwork Sorcerer

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020-Subclasses02.pdf

I like the Clockwork's ability to cancel advantage or disadvantage. The Love Cleric's central ability seems really good, and the Creation Bard has a nice enhancement to bardic inspiration.

Huh they changed it so now that link goes to the previous UA classes

• Options

I think theoretically that is the sort of thing I would like to do, although I agree it's not a terrible engaging character to play.

I'm also working to make sure things still mesh with the thief playbook - at a certain point you start wondering why this person can even backstab someone in the first place.

I guess it really falls to what sort of party role you want to fill. This is an excellent idea, IMO, for a Face character that also explains why you're good at sleight of hand, lockpicking, can appraise things, have ranks in esoteric knowledge skills, "know a guy" for any obscure thing in any random place, etc. Sometimes you've gotta shiv somebody though, and it's always better to do that when you're not their main focus. It doesn't take much training at all to know that you can stab somebody better if they're not paying attention to you.

Steam
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kind of like Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War, or Dijkstra from Witcher 3

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I get why they don't do it, Sneak Attack is a major part of Rogue from a balancing standpoint, but I'd be into more archetypes that trade Sneak Attack for other features

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rogue without Sneak Attack is a great concept for a game that isn't D&D.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I get why they don't do it, Sneak Attack is a major part of Rogue from a balancing standpoint, but I'd be into more archetypes that trade Sneak Attack for other features

I want a Druid subclass/archetype that removes Wildshape.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    expendable wrote: »

I guess it really falls to what sort of party role you want to fill. This is an excellent idea, IMO, for a Face character that also explains why you're good at sleight of hand, lockpicking, can appraise things, have ranks in esoteric knowledge skills, "know a guy" for any obscure thing in any random place, etc. Sometimes you've gotta shiv somebody though, and it's always better to do that when you're not their main focus. It doesn't take much training at all to know that you can stab somebody better if they're not paying attention to you.

Yeah the party already has a bard so I'm not going to try to do that. Which yes, characters like Columbo are super charismatic, just in a non-standard way, and that's not really the direction of that archetype that I was trying to go. Less of a deliberate bluff and more of actually a boorish fuckup who just happens to have fairly quick wits and extremely light fingers.

End of the day I'm probably going to play my immolator, I'm more attached to them as a concept and I think they'll fit well with the tone of this group as I've seen it so far, but I like coming into things with options.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

My nemesis

• Options

Convince your DM to rework the game to be set entirely inside a white-collar office. Reframe everything about the thief class to be in terms of paperwork (they can backstab someone... by delaying time-off request they put in almost two weeks ago).

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

My nemesis

I would say wildshape is even more defining to druid than sneak attack is to rogues.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    If you want to get rid of sneak attack for rogues you should probably honestly just get rid of the rogue class

It's my favorite of the Core Four and the only one I don't regularly call for the removal of, but it's a mishmosh of loosely unified abilities that would do better split up into multiple things, in my opinion

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Rogue is a victim of D&D only ever wanting to have one StealthyPerson class, so it's a mix of an assassin-y type cloak&dagger killer, a back alley thug, a cat burglar, a charming but untrustworhy confidence man...they throw pirates and duelists in there too, it's just too much stuff.

I know that they're trying to get away from "just make more classes" as a solution but seriously just make more classes and split rogue out into the coherent components.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Rogue is a victim of D&D only ever wanting to have one StealthyPerson class, so it's a mix of an assassin-y type cloak&dagger killer, a back alley thug, a cat burglar, a charming but untrustworhy confidence man...they throw pirates and duelists in there too, it's just too much stuff.

I know that they're trying to get away from "just make more classes" as a solution but seriously just make more classes and split rogue out into the coherent components.

Part of the issue, as I see it, is that a D&D class is defined and balanced by their combat utility

Which would make the skill focused subsets of the rogue (the cat burglar and the con man) a bit more difficult to construct as freestanding entities

Perhaps the end result there is that they're better off keeping them stuck together?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well that sort of opens into the discussion of "is D&D as a system too focused on combat" (yes, it 100% is), but you're not wrong, D&D has a very hard time dealing with any archetype that doesn't have immediately apparent martial ability.

• Options
    I remember that the "thief" was renamed to "rogue" in 3rd Ed, and I kinda feel like it had an image change at the same time, as well; before, it was presented more as a sneaky operator who climbed walls and forged documents and such, and after it was presented as a light-armored finesse-fighter who still engaged in the thief's extracurricular activities. Am I mis-remembering this? How was the thief presented in 1st and 2nd Ed?

I feel like the fighter is a tremendously broad thing as well, isn't it? A soldier, a gladiator, a bodyguard, a palace guard, and the kind of maladjusted reprobate who plunders old dungeons and monster lairs are all going to approach physical combat for different reasons, with different goals, and using different tactics - but because they all use their physical bodies to swing material weapons at their enemies, they're all "fighters". I guess if we look hard enough, we can pick apart all the stock D&D classes like this, but "fighter" has always felt to me like a very default "This NPC doesn't really have any special abilities; I dunno, make 'em a fighter".

• Options
    Yeah I think both the fighter and the rogue should be torn apart into two or more component classes (my general picks are Soldier/Brawler and Burglar/Highwayman respectively)

I also think there are a fair number of similar issues with the cleric and the wizard, as the two other members of the core set, but my personal solution there would just be to get rid of them because I think that they make much better NPCs than PCs and could easily exist exclusively in that space

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Make a version of d&d without spellcasting classes

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My proposal is to allow a character to pick up archetypes as they progress within the same class.

So at third level your Rogue might pick up the Assassin archetype/subclass and as a result gain sneak attack. At 6th or 7th level they can either continue in the Assassin archetype/subclass or pick up the beginning features of the Thief archetype/subclass.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    My proposal is to allow a character to pick up archetypes as they progress within the same class.

So at third level your Rogue might pick up the Assassin archetype/subclass and as a result gain sneak attack. At 6th or 7th level they can either continue in the Assassin archetype/subclass or pick up the beginning features of the Thief archetype/subclass.

4E had some of this and it worked very well.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think in 2nd Rogue was occasionally used as a catchall term for the sneaky-type classes and kits (Thief, Bard, etc.), and Thief was just the main version of it. Similarly, Warrior was used for any class or kit with full attack progression and d10 or better hit die (Fighter just being the one focused entirely around specialized training, but including Paladin, Ranger, etc.), Priest for any divine caster who got spells up to 7th level (pre-3rd, the highest spell level for divine casters, so Cleric, Druid, etc.), and Mage for any squishy arcane caster (Wizards, specialist wizards, etc.).

Then in 3rd they made it so that Rogue was the term for the main subtlety-types, and Thief as a game term kind of disappeared. Warrior became the NPC class for non-special full attack progression types you describe (which always seemed backwards to me; Warrior sounds both deadlier and more high fantasy to me than Fighter), Priest was abandoned almost entirely in game terms, and Mage did sort of become a catchall for focused arcane casters, but not as an official game term.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ideally I want a classic fantasy rpg where magic is weird and esoteric from the players pov and often ritual based so it isn't rooted in the games combat mechanics so much as the narrative.

• Options

I actually really like this sort of approach, generally speaking - my general thing with RPGs is that characters should be less focused on getting better at one thing as they go, and more focused on getting a wider variety of things that they can do.

But I'll also note two specific requirements that are more or less necessary to making it work:
    - First the base class needs to still have abilities of their own, something to make them interesting to play. If nobody gets interesting abilities until level 3, you're going to see a lot of games starting at level 3, and you might as well just have that be your system from the get-go.
    - You also need to make sure that specialization isn't necessarily over-rewarded. Make sure that the extra abilities you would gain from switching off your assassin track to the thief track are just as valuable as continuing down the assassin track. This is a lot easier if you're handling everything as separate abilities and not just improving sneak attack or whatever.

The personal spin I like to put on this style of leveling is actually full on changing the class name based on what abilities you've chosen - you start off as a rogue, and then you become an assassin or a thief or a highwayman in-between or what have you.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I think in 2nd Rogue was occasionally used as a catchall term for the sneaky-type classes and kits (Thief, Bard, etc.), and Thief was just the main version of it. Similarly, Warrior was used for any class or kit with full attack progression and d10 or better hit die (Fighter just being the one focused entirely around specialized training, but including Paladin, Ranger, etc.), Priest for any divine caster who got spells up to 7th level (pre-3rd, the highest spell level for divine casters, so Cleric, Druid, etc.), and Mage for any squishy arcane caster (Wizards, specialist wizards, etc.).

Then in 3rd they made it so that Rogue was the term for the main subtlety-types, and Thief as a game term kind of disappeared. Warrior became the NPC class for non-special full attack progression types you describe (which always seemed backwards to me; Warrior sounds both deadlier and more high fantasy to me than Fighter), Priest was abandoned almost entirely in game terms, and Mage did sort of become a catchall for focused arcane casters, but not as an official game term.

2nd Edition PHB had Wizard, Warrior, Rogue, Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I feel like the biggest sign that Rogues are a nothing ass class is in how they don't translate to more open char gen systems at all.

Like, take Shadowrun (mostly because it's open ended and still has magic). You can make a monk, a wizard, a fighter and so on and so forth with pretty clear cases of "what those dudes should be good at"

The rogue is just... like half the skill list that isn't academic or combat based?

• Options
    3rd Edition added skills to D&D (I mean, we had non-weapon proficiencies before, but... not quite the same thing), and said "K, rogues are the skill class".

Just like how fighter became the feat class.

A more open-ended char gen system is usually built around skills as the foundation, not a thing that's stapled onto an already existing char gen system. Like, D&D keeps skills and attack bonuses as distinct systems, while a more generic char gen system would probably say "your rank in face-punch skill determines your attack rolls, your face-talk skill determines your schmooze rolls", etc.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Roald Dahl worked for British Intelligence during WWII.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Roald Dahl worked for British Intelligence during WWII.

Also he flew fighter planes... so he may not be the most appropriate example.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I remember that the "thief" was renamed to "rogue" in 3rd Ed, and I kinda feel like it had an image change at the same time, as well; before, it was presented more as a sneaky operator who climbed walls and forged documents and such, and after it was presented as a light-armored finesse-fighter who still engaged in the thief's extracurricular activities. Am I mis-remembering this? How was the thief presented in 1st and 2nd Ed?

Rogue in 2E was no less sneak-attack focused than 3E.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Make a version of d&d without spellcasting classes

I have and got booed for it

This discussion has been closed.