As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scorpions and Shujenga: Tabletop Games Folded 1000 Times

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    How much can you much around with your feed to make it seem creepy?

Play music just out of comfortable hearing level, get a Zoom background that changes slightly, stuff like that

In face to face games I've had success with characters hearing monsters before seeing them, which lets their imagination do a lot of the work

Oh I love the idea of this, but I am not particularly technically skilled and don't have a whole lot of setup time. The best I could do is walking into the other room with my bluetooth headset so my voice sounds like a robot.
    captaink wrote: »
    I've been doing Monster of the Week over discord for a few weeks now. We're at 4 players, but death isn't really on the table very often.

The Tome of Mysteries has an article about adapting the game for one-shots and convention games, but it's mostly concerned with pacing your game to fit a timeslot. The main thing I've noticed in convention games is giving everyone just one Luck point, and you can still push them pretty hard with Harm.

As far as killing, you can always bring that player back in as a ghost or monster when their character dies. Let them cross to your side of the table and have some fun.

Yeah I'm specifically looking at a couple of games where death is on the table - stuff designed for one shot horror like Cthulhu Dark and Trophy. Which is part of why I ask that specifically. I could definitely opt for something that goes a bit lighter on them, but those specifically are games that end with at least a couple of players dead.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Does anyone here have a bunch of horror GMing experience? I'm running a one shot for my regular group this weekend to give our GM some writing time for the next adventure - last time I did this I did a pretty goofy animal adventure game, so I kind of want to switch things up to show range, and I was looking at the stack of horror games I have laying around.

My primary concern is player count - this will likely be for five players, which feels like a lot for horror. Familiar tactics of splitting the party up or turning them against each other will be more difficult and time consuming, they'll be able to collectively take more damage (be it physical or otherwise), that sort of thing. And stuff like killing off one player in a three person game is something that I would feel a lot better about because it would speed the climax sufficiently, whereas in a five player game I worry there would still be a lot of game that a player has to sit out of.

Also this will all be digital, of course, which is less ideal for horror in my experience, but nothing to be done there.

I GM'd the Alien Cinematic Adventure (IE, prebaked PCs and a one shot) around halloween last year for a group of five players. It solves the issue of player deaths by letting them take over NPCs and also every NPC has a different agenda the players are playing towards.

It was an absolute riot and the system's pretty darn light for how many pages it takes up. Highly recommend it.

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    The Alien rpg is good stuff. I thought I was doing pretty good until my first character turned into a zombie 15 minutes into the session and was terrified the rest the game. One of the most effective bits was every time you actually see one of the Aliens, there's a random chance it rolls one of its good attacks and you instantly die... or it might just screech at you and run off. Very unsettling.

Also got to punch a Xenomorph in the face! Because at some point you realize you've no good options and might as well go out with a bang. Knocked its ass off a walkway (still died later, though, those random attack rolls ain't no joke).

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My players overwhelmingly voted for a horror one shot, so I ended up running a game of Trophy last night, using the incursion A Warm and Pleasant Hum.

Overall I think things went really well. Five players was definitely a lot to be running it with, and I needed to come up with a bunch more conditions in advance to add to the list provided, but my players took to it fairly quickly, I got some solid scares in, everyone had a good time.

I have some stuff I'll do differently in the future if I run it again, and from the sounds of things, I may get that opportunity. It was a lot to keep track of, especially with everyone making their characters on the spot and trying to frantically keep notes about everyone because I can't see their character sheets, but I managed to keep it running pretty smoothly still.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I got to GM a game of Agon 2E over Roll20 yesterday. It went great, and that game absolutely slaps!

It has a simple session structure: Heroes sail up to an island -> Heroes engage in 'Contests' -> Heroes engage in a final 'Battle', which is basically 3 contests linked with special stakes. A Contest is like, "Okay, we're going to convince the Queen to let us into the royal archives. This is a contest of Arts & Oration vs. the Queen." Usually, everyone rolls; some suffer, some prevail, and one is best. You earn Glory points by participating, so usually everyone rolls, and the players are in some light competition.

There's a little bit of crunch for the players to engage with; it's like a Mouse Guard situation where you want to build the largest possible dice pool by calling on the resources on your character sheet (mark Pathos (it's stress), call on a Bond, call in a Divine Favor, etc)

As the GM, I love that they've pre-written 20 islands, and I love how they've written them. It's a loose collection of suggested Contests, relevant NPCs, and 'Mysteries' about the situation. Mysteries are both information about the island the heroes can uncover through play, and open-ended questions where the GM is invited to decide what's really going on, or find out in play. It was really easy to keep things moving by using the suggested material, and also (with the fairly light rules, just one resolution mechanic) easy to pivot when the players wanted to do something that the prep didn't explicitly cover.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Glad to hear that it's good. I'm looking forward to getting it on the table myself, but I haven't like, fully wrapped my head around the rules yet. I've got a bunch of brain conflict with Agon 1E (a good game in its own right, but one I will probably never actually run) is a part of it, and I think I need to just like, buckle down and actually prep a session to get past that sort of thing, you know?

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Glad to hear that it's good. I'm looking forward to getting it on the table myself, but I haven't like, fully wrapped my head around the rules yet. I've got a bunch of brain conflict with Agon 1E (a good game in its own right, but one I will probably never actually run) is a part of it, and I think I need to just like, buckle down and actually prep a session to get past that sort of thing, you know?

I thought the Critshow Let's Play linked here https://www.evilhat.com/home/agon-reviews-and-actual-play/ (audio only) was helpful to listen to during my prep, if that's your sort of thing

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    A post over on ENWorld got me thinking: really, you could easily run a D&D campaign where the "monstrous races" of orcs, goblins, troglodytes, etc team up to deal with the invasion and colonization of their lands by humans, elves, dwarves, etc. Adventures could include driving out explorers, destroying supply lines, slaying "adventurers", and destroying settlements to keep the territory safe from the invaders. Hell, you could just take the premises of a lot of adventures and flip them so that the PCs are on the side of the "monsters".

I know there's a recently released game on Steam called "This Land is My Land" that is basically about this (I haven't played it yet, tbh). That is, an indigenous warrior fighting to stem the European settler invasion. Just like is usually the case in D&D, the children of the enemy forces are conveniently safe somewhere far away.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    You can generally do a "monstrous races" defending the world if you do a prequel-style game set in Eberron.

Goblins & Orcs teaming up to save the world from invading aberrations from a different realm.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    A post over on ENWorld got me thinking: really, you could easily run a D&D campaign where the "monstrous races" of orcs, goblins, troglodytes, etc team up to deal with the invasion and colonization of their lands by humans, elves, dwarves, etc. Adventures could include driving out explorers, destroying supply lines, slaying "adventurers", and destroying settlements to keep the territory safe from the invaders. Hell, you could just take the premises of a lot of adventures and flip them so that the PCs are on the side of the "monsters".

I know there's a recently released game on Steam called "This Land is My Land" that is basically about this (I haven't played it yet, tbh). That is, an indigenous warrior fighting to stem the European settler invasion. Just like is usually the case in D&D, the children of the enemy forces are conveniently safe somewhere far away.

Buddy of mine did this. Told them all to roll humans, had them play as goblins. It was apparently quite fun

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    One great thing about Roll20 is that you can quit in the middle of things and not have to worry about admin stuff like hitpoint totals or initiative order or token placement

My last two sessions have managed to end on a cliffhanger for the Paladin

Last session, she was being attacked through cell bars by the corpse that she'd pulled towards her for a better look

The session just ended, she'd failed two consecutive Constitution saves after being pecked by a cockatrice, so all she knows is that her character is now turned to stone, and the rest of the party have heard movement behind them that they don't yet know is a previous victim returning to life (which will give them the knowledge that cockatrice victims recover after 24 hours so they won't be tempted to sell the Paladin to a statue merchant, and also give the Paladin's player a character to play while she depetrifies)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ...That seems pretty rude that hte party would do that to her petrified remnants.

(Also hilarious. Also what's going to stop them speedily selling her, and leaving the merchant to grapple with his loss when the statue escapes?)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Bundle of Holding is doing a bundle of Fellowship, a PbtA game that models a rag-tag group of people from different backgrounds getting together to stop the Overlord from doing their evil thing:
    https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Fellowship

I haven't played it myself, but I very much want to. It's very obviously inspired by stuff like LotR and Avatar: TLA, and has some neat stuff that I like:
    - the Overlord is both the name of the GM and also the name of the in-game arch-villain, meaning that the GM gets their own character in the game with their own concrete agendas and progression
    - the playbooks are named and sorta-inspired by traditional fantasy races/classes, but focus less on superficial traits and more on core archetype traits. Like, what makes the Dwarf a Dwarf isn't that they're short, broad, and love gems; what makes them a Dwarf is that they endure, physically or emotionally or whatever. The Elf isn't an Elf because they have flowy hair and frolic in the woods, but because they are a little bit aloof and removed from the physical world. Your Dwarf can be a scrawny gal in a burly exoskeleton, and your Elf can be the descendant of aliens that crashed here generations ago and can use their antigrav belts to run up trees.
    - the agendas and moves encourage general camaraderie, sharing stories about characters' backgrounds, and working together to overcome foes

I think the art and general design is really dang pretty, and the bundle also includes the recently-Kickstarted and even-more-recently-completed follow-up books that give you a bunch of options, like:
    - giving the party a collective mode of transportation that requires them all to work together (like a ship)
    - replacing a single and concrete Overlord with the Horizon, an open world framework that facilitates exploring the world and letting individual characters progress in their own separate goals
    - an alt game style where the Overlord has already won, and instead of trying to prevent that, the party is instead in rebellion against the Empire
    - obviously a whole lot more playbooks that draw on other familiar fiction archetypes for inspiration

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Hey so my Gamma World character sheet app is coming along pretty nicely I think. It's been a really fun first project.
    mevij0hce2pt.png

So far my players have been able to generate their characters and check out their powers and just sort of play around with it. Looking forward to seeing how it actually handles a game session soon!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Hey so my Gamma World character sheet app is coming along pretty nicely I think. It's been a really fun first project.
    mevij0hce2pt.png

So far my players have been able to generate their characters and check out their powers and just sort of play around with it. Looking forward to seeing how it actually handles a game session soon!

Do want.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    mevij0hce2pt.png

Do want.

app.gammaheroes.com

It's not finished and it's my first coding project so expect bugs and such. And whenever I update it you usually have to refresh a few times to get it to behave again. But check it out! And send me feedback if you have any.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mean, I ain't gonna be able to run a Gamma World game any time soon. But knowing there's a character gen app out there makes it so much more likely that I will try to make it happen.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Delduwath does the Fellowship bundle give you codes to unlock the products on DriveThruRPG? I like having as many of my PDFs in one place as possible.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Delduwath does the Fellowship bundle give you codes to unlock the products on DriveThruRPG? I like having as many of my PDFs in one place as possible.
    @Jacobkosh I'm the same way. I'm actually not getting the bundle, because I already have all the Fellowship-specific content (got the first rulebook as a Secret Santa present on these very forums, bought the add-on playbooks on DriveThru, backed the Kickstarter for everything else), so I'm afraid I can't tell you with first-hand certainty. Almost every single bundle I bought on there lets you unlock the books on DriveThru - I think I've only had one single bundle over the years that didn't? I think it has to do with books not being available on DriveThru at all due to licensing or whatever, and all the Fellowship stuff is normally on DriveThru. My guess is that you'll be able to unlock them on there, but I can't guarantee it for certain. Sorry!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    ...That seems pretty rude that hte party would do that to her petrified remnants.

(Also hilarious. Also what's going to stop them speedily selling her, and leaving the merchant to grapple with his loss when the statue escapes?)

Absolutely nothing - it's like the guy who made a fortune selling one homing pigeon

If they don't think of it, then I might steal the idea for a mystery later on: maybe an unscrupulous art dealer, or possibly somebody who buys a mansion and didn't realise that all their new statuary is going to come to life at some point

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    my friend's running the Tomb of Annihilation module for our in-person group because we missed each other.

He's letting me be a Warforged Artificer named Tinker

some Dwarves dug it out of solid rock and it turned on with a case of total and complete amnesia

but it keeps discovering skills and talents that it apparently used to know, they poke and prod in the back of it's mind. what was it? what IS it?

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Spoilers for the few people in my thursday group. Don't open.

But for everyone else I'm plotting a dumb GITS style one shot investigation and want to check my plot mostly makes sense:
    The investigation begins when, during the demonstration of a next generation armoured suit, one of the test pilots (Eliot Kane) goes berserk. Lashing out and demolishing the viewing box, killing ten including several high ranking civil servants.

Initial investigations will point out a few things:

1) Eliot Kane is a war veteran who was diagnosed with PTSD, decent tech or medical skills will discover that given his recent therapy and medication he shouldn't have being at risk of this lapse in mental faculty except his cyberbrain had being infected with a malignant virus designed with images tailored to trigger him.

2) The company demonstrating the suit is Caltech, an arms and heavy industry manufacturer headed up by Nadia King, who is legally married to the head of company R&D (and the suit's designer) Marcos Llorente, a brilliantly gifted neuro scientist who exists on a Marriage Visa. Though there seems to be little actual love between the two.

3) Eliot Kane was fast tracked to serve in the test program from the unemployment line. Something that Marcos does little to hide. Impressing on the investigators that he views Eliot Kane as a hero and innocent.

The full plot to be revealed based on how they investigate is actually:

Marcos Llorente was tired of designing war machines and having little control over his life working in Caltech. He planned to formally divorce Nadia and take his work to the open market and the medical sector. Nadia King had no desire to lose one of the biggest assets in her company and hatched a scheme: Under post war laws companies could get signed permission to be in charge of prisoners of particular economic value. So her initial plan was to frame Marcos and then use her wealth to buy his penal contract. This did not work with the current Minister of Arms and so she did a deal with the man most likely to be next in line: Thomas Dandy.

Then she used leverage and ample bribes to compromise the corporate assigned therapist who was caring for Eliot Kane: Karen Robinson and used minor scientists and access to Eliot's medical records and therapy tapes to create the triggering virus. Thomas Dandy was conveniently out taking an important call (with a Caltech dead end number). The current minister is killed in a high profile crime that looks to implicate Marcos as attempting to tank the company before he leaves and the wheels spin on her scheme.

Until the investigators step in.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

But for everyone else I'm plotting a dumb GITS style one shot investigation and want to check my plot mostly makes sense:
    The investigation begins when, during the demonstration of a next generation armoured suit, one of the test pilots (Eliot Kane) goes berserk. Lashing out and demolishing the viewing box, killing ten including several high ranking civil servants.

1) Eliot Kane is a war veteran who was diagnosed with PTSD, decent tech or medical skills will discover that given his recent therapy and medication he shouldn't have being at risk of this lapse in mental faculty except his cyberbrain had being infected with a malignant virus designed with images tailored to trigger him.

2) The company demonstrating the suit is Caltech, an arms and heavy industry manufacturer headed up by Nadia King, who is legally married to the head of company R&D (and the suit's designer) Marcos Llorente, a brilliantly gifted neuro scientist who exists on a Marriage Visa. Though there seems to be little actual love between the two.

3) Eliot Kane was fast tracked to serve in the test program from the unemployment line. Something that Marcos does little to hide. Impressing on the investigators that he views Eliot Kane as a hero and innocent.

Marcos Llorente was tired of designing war machines and having little control over his life working in Caltech. He planned to formally divorce Nadia and take his work to the open market and the medical sector. Nadia King had no desire to lose one of the biggest assets in her company and hatched a scheme: Under post war laws companies could get signed permission to be in charge of prisoners of particular economic value. So her initial plan was to frame Marcos and then use her wealth to buy his penal contract. This did not work with the current Minister of Arms and so she did a deal with the man most likely to be next in line: Thomas Dandy.

Then she used leverage and ample bribes to compromise the corporate assigned therapist who was caring for Eliot Kane: Karen Robinson and used minor scientists and access to Eliot's medical records and therapy tapes to create the triggering virus. Thomas Dandy was conveniently out taking an important call (with a Caltech dead end number). The current minister is killed in a high profile crime that looks to implicate Marcos as attempting to tank the company before he leaves and the wheels spin on her scheme.

That's an excellent GITS-y plot, makes sense to me! Just remember that players are usually terrible at solving mysteries.

General RPG mystery adventure thoughts: It is difficult to make sure a bunch of independent brains outside your own go to the places you want them to and think to talk to the right people and ask the right questions and remember all the important bits of information. I'm not sure how I would approach it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

That's an excellent GITS-y plot, makes sense to me! Just remember that players are usually terrible at solving mysteries.

General RPG mystery adventure thoughts: It is difficult to make sure a bunch of independent brains outside your own go to the places you want them to and think to talk to the right people and ask the right questions and remember all the important bits of information. I'm not sure how I would approach it.
    Karen Robinson is explicitly there to fix this.

If the crew are on point and heading in the right direction then they'll find she's weirdly well protected when they go to bring her in for questioning.

If they aren't then they can get a call from her where she asks for protection and safety because she's worried she'll wind up silenced.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    This just came up on the D&D website:
    Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:

We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.

When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.

We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.

We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
    And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Source

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    We will be taking breaks from Avernus, as things are grim everywhere right now and our DM has been struggling with having to get into the mindset of cosmic evil, and switching over to a 5e Spelljammer hack one of our other players made

I'm playing an Arcane Archer fighter who's basically if Robin Hood could more cogently express an actual political standpoint (here being anarcho-communism). The rest of the crew, desperate to take as little responsibility as possible, decided he was the captain of our ship despite the fact that he doesn't believe in hierarchical command structures and doesn't want the job. The first mate/quartermaster is a goliath barbarian who is essentially just culturally a krogan. The ship's cook is a folk hero monk hiding out from his past, the helmsman is a gnome artificer who's the only one who knows how to keep the ship functional, and then there's the changeling diplomat/PR specialist/con artist

Gonna be a fun crew of space dirtbags here

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    pretty empty shit considering they could have done this for years and they still employ "staunchfast ally of rapists" Mike mearls

also if you play AL enjoy using your +1 supplement to avoid racial bonuses lol

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm ultimately glad for the D&D statement, because I know people are going to keep playing D&D and I would earnestly like it to be a better game, even if it will never again be the game for me

But it certainly feels a bit too little, too late as well

People have been pointing out these issues for ages, independent designers have been doing the work to fix it for just as long

And with the stuff they've got going on behind the scenes as well, ehhh, I don't know about any of this

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm ultimately glad for the D&D statement, because I know people are going to keep playing D&D and I would earnestly like it to be a better game, even if it will never again be the game for me

But it certainly feels a bit too little, too late as well

People have been pointing out these issues for ages, independent designers have been doing the work to fix it for just as long

And with the stuff they've got going on behind the scenes as well, ehhh, I don't know about any of this

Yea I decoupled ability scores and race (Species?) selection when I went homebrew last year, and made my Orcs Norwegian. Let me tell you, its been a lot more fun to play them that way, has honorable tradesfolk who snuck in and beat the dwarves at their own game because they had gotten lazy from no competition. Plus my players find it hilarious watching me try to pronounce the names of people and cities. I brought that on myself though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You can't say "too little, too late" about WotC and D&D because they're not fuckin' going anywhere. This is a significant step for a lot of people who play D&D right now and who will play it 5, 10, 20 years from now. Don't dismiss it as "too late" because you were already over D&D.

• Options
    I mean, I think it's both. As I said, I am still glad that they're making these changes, and I do think it is a good thing.

I just also think they need to get their own house in order, push harder with the changes they're making, and, if possible, hire some of the people who have been pushed away from D&D and have been making their own stuff due to their past unwillingness to make this push.

• Options
    No one said it was too late.

They said it was too little.

• Options
    Honestly more than rethinking the way that it talks about race (a very good thing that I'm extremely in favor of and I've been talking about around here for years), I think the thing I would most like to see from D&D/WotC is a greater acknowledgement of the wider RPG community.

Like, if I flip open the rulebook for Blades in the Dark, I'll see a shoutout to Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, The Quiet Year, Night Witches, et alia. I'd reckon the majority of the books on my shelf have something like that tucked in at either or the front or the back of the book. I'm not entirely sure what it would look like for D&D to do something similar, of course, but some form of acknowledgement that there are other RPGs out there that you might also want to check out. And in part, this could be a way to acknowledge that other designers have already been making these changes to their own games, that D&D isn't leading the pack here.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    D&D would cite itself as an inspiration

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular

That would still be an improvement, if they at least pointed out that (for example, in this case) that multiple DM's Guild authors have already addressed this problem in multiple ways and that the ways that they're moving forward is at least partly inspired by those products and authors.

• Options

Yeah, that was part of my problem with conceptualizing it; D&D is just an inspiration ouroboros at this point in time.

But it could still be talking about specific people and acknowledging their accomplishments and contributions. Or maybe inspirations isn't the best way to conceptualize it. It's a pipe dream regardless, I'm certain they won't cede that ground, they're too devoted to being a monolith.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    This took me three minutes. Overall, its pretty easy to break up ability score increases from races.
    Class Ability Score Increases
    Starting at first level you apply ability score increases as chosen through the combination of your race, background, and the class your character has for their first character level. Any such combinations are allowed, with the only provision being the prohibition of increasing any single ability score by +3.

Artificer
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity, Constitution, or Intelligence increases by 1 (your choice).
    Barbarian
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution increases by 1 (your choice).
    Bard
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice).
    Cleric
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice).
    Druid
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution, Wisdom, or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice).
    Fighter
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution increases by 1 (your choice).
    Monk
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice).
    Paladin
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice).
    Ranger
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice).
    Rouge
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice).
    Sorcerer
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution, Wisdom, or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice).
    Warlock
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution, Intelligence, or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice).
    Wizard
    -- Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice).

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Personally I'd just rejigger the math slightly and either add 1 to one or two scores in the standard array or just not have anything give you those stat boosts and maybe you hit slightly less often

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Personally I'd just rejigger the math slightly and either add 1 to one or two scores in the standard array or just not have anything give you those stat boosts and maybe you hit slightly less often

I just went did everyone uses standard array, a +2 and a free feat, so pretty much everyone is rocking the variant human.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I'm preparing for an Eberron game and decided to give everyone a free feat at 1st-level.

Which meant I had to then design Humans to have actual features, which was fun!

This discussion has been closed.