As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] is the only parent I ever knew

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Gotta say Crusher because she never tells her son who his actual father is and she openly flirts with the man in question

That takes balls

wait, what

I never got the implication that Beverly and Jean-luc did anything back in the day

Oh Wesley

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Uriel wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Bones is the best doctor and it isn't even close

fuck that! it's obviously the EMH

I disagree.

My opinion is affected by hating voyager though.

I just think Leonard McCoy is a great character and his relationship to Spock and Kirk is super fun and satisfying.

If you listen to the WHM trek podcast theyve added . . . layers to Bones that make him even better

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    No, it's perfect.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    @poorochondriac what do you make of the fact that it appears the only thing justin wilson is adamant about measuring accurately is garlic

is he a friendly dracula

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    poorochondriac what do you make of the fact that it appears the only thing justin wilson is adamant about measuring accurately is garlic

is he a friendly dracula

This is an intriguing prospect

Oh, somewhat related - I interviewed for a show today, and when the typical, "What're you watching?" question came up, I was like, "A lot of cajun cooking shows, but mainly one with a million year old mumbler who tells five-minute-long jokes about fishing as he pours Miller Lite into a stock pot." The showrunner was absolutely fucking delighted, I imagine because he has to spend most meetings talking about Watchmen or Succession or whatever, and it was a nice change of pace.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    @poorochondriac what do you make of the fact that it appears the only thing justin wilson is adamant about measuring accurately is garlic

is he a friendly dracula

So can draculas have like, a certain amount of garlic and they just gotta ride that line?

3clipse wrote: »
    poorochondriac what do you make of the fact that it appears the only thing justin wilson is adamant about measuring accurately is garlic

is he a friendly dracula

So can draculas have like, a certain amount of garlic and they just gotta ride that line?

It's like capsaicin for humans

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

is he a friendly dracula

Aaaaaah so the worst thing for a vampire is to get garlic on their genitals.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

is he a friendly dracula

Not amazing for humans, either.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

is he a friendly dracula

Not amazing for humans, either.

Don't kinkshame me.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    As an Italian American I can tell you that garlic balls are one of the fine sensual pleasures in life.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Clearly Watchmen has been pretty great overall, but I think A God Walks Into Abar is my favorite episode of TV I've seen this year.

minor incident on
    Clearly Watchmen has been pretty great overall, but I think A God Walks Into a Bar is my favorite episode of TV I've seen this year.

"Nostalgia" is in contention for my favorite episode TV ever

That show's only had one episode that I'd consider anything short of "incredible" (the third episode), and even that one was still totally good! Just not mind-blowingly good.

Clearly Watchmen has been pretty great overall, but I think A God Walks Into a Bar is my favorite episode of TV I've seen this year.

"Nostalgia" is in contention for my favorite episode TV ever

That show's only had one episode that I'd consider anything short of "incredible" (the third episode), and even that one was still totally good! Just not mind-blowingly good.

My favorite film is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so this episode had my number and got me reeling pretty hard. It was legitimately beautiful, and god damnit the show about blue Superman brought a year to my eye.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That's... Not a great tattoo. The art not the design.

It's intentionally bad to represent 2019.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

Maybe this one will actually materialize

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I wouldnt appreciate an internet meme tattoo that doesnt look like total shit

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Hope so! That book is fantastic

CYpGAPn.png
    BlankZoe wrote: »

And a great fit for a prestige cable adaptation. A lot of very cool ways to tackle it.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

uyvfOQy.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Don't post pics of @Rorshach Kringle without his permission.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Flipping through the channels and Simpsons was on. It was the ending credits so naturally the theme song was playing.

This is nothing strange, as I hear that theme probably at least once a week if not more. Except this time it managed to dislodge a memory from decades past. A horrible memory. That memory was...

FUCK THE MUSEUM LEVEL IN BART VS. THE SPACE MUTANTS ON NES!!!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    BlankZoe wrote: »

And a great fit for a prestige cable adaptation. A lot of very cool ways to tackle it.

Wasn't there supposed to be an adaptation of The Yiddish Policeman's Union coming out at some point? That's the one I'm really interested in, but it seems to have dropped off the radar.

tynic on
    Isn't Spotify just Pandora but shackled to Facebook?

Spotify's more like iTunes.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Isn't Spotify just Pandora but shackled to Facebook?
    Nnno

Pandora is radio stations that you can influence but have no direct control over outside of skipping songs, although it has been years since I have used it so they may have changed.

Spotify is an on-demand music service that lets you play specific albums and songs and make your own playlists.

Both are terrible for musicians

CYpGAPn.png
    Well musicians have been pretty terrible to me over the years so I'm glad I have avenues at which to get my retribution.

The RIAA are the enemy.

Capitalism is the enemy.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The RIAA are the enemy.

That's why we build the wallll, we build the wall to keep us freeeeee

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite!

All of which are American dreams!

I should fire that tune up on Spotif...oh no!

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just received my Twin Peaks box set

20 Blu-Ray disks of the entire series plus Fire Walk With Me, and a bonus 4K disk of the pilot and episode 8 of The Return

it's in this ridiculous box that folds out into a Red Room set complete with a acrylic cutout figure of Cooper and Laura Palmer and it was an expensive limited edition where this is basically the only show where I will justify the indulgence

it even came with a "Certificate of "yticitnehtuA so what I'm saying is time to die now

6F32U1X.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The virgin
    The best TNG episode is, unfortunately, in DS9. I'm on my phone and can't look it up properly but it involves O'Brien going to space prison.

For O'Brien, the Enterprise was a space prison:

https://chiefobrienatwork.com/

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Drez wrote: »
    The virgin
    The best TNG episode is, unfortunately, in DS9. I'm on my phone and can't look it up properly but it involves O'Brien going to space prison.

The episode in question is actually called hard time.

Miles is convicted wrongly of espionage and is sentenced to have memories implanted of serving a 20 year prison sentence where
    he kills his cell mate for food.

It throws super dark even for ds9, the acting (particularly colm meany and Alexander siddig at the end) and story are great but it is a very depressing episode.

Actually I give the episode a hard content warning for
    miles pointing a phaser at his own head.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Drez wrote: »
    The virgin

The episode in question is actually called hard time.

Miles is convicted wrongly of espionage and is sentenced to have memories implanted of serving a 20 year prison sentence where
    he kills his cell mate for food.

It throws super dark even for ds9, the acting (particularly colm meany and Alexander siddig at the end) and story are great but it is a very depressing episode.

It's my favorite overall episode of Trek. Colm Meaney does such a goddamn job on it.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My favorite episodes of ds9 are homefront and paradise lost where there is almost a military coup of the federation government (capital city... Paris?) because of a single founder infiltrating the planet.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    My favorite episodes of ds9 are homefront and paradise lost where there is almost a military coup of the federation government (capital city... Paris?) because of a single founder infiltrating the planet.

It is darkly comical how perfectly Star Trek predicted the way we would respond to 9/11 in the coming years.

Quire.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I finished my rewatch of the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Here are my thoughts:
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1

Master Character Ranking
    #1. -- Cordelia 
    #2. -- Giles
    #3. -- Buffy
    #4. -- Willow
    #5. -- Angel
    #6. -- Xander

Master Episode Ranking
    I, Robot... You, Jane (1.7)
    Willow's new Internet chat buddy turns out to be a powerful demon electronically unleashed from a centuries-old, newly digitized book.

Nightmares (1.9)
    A series of strange occurrences lead Buffy and her friends to discover that their worst nightmares have literally become reality.

Prophecy Girl (1.12)
    Buffy's plan to live a normal life goes awry when the Earth cracks open and an army of demons emerges.

Witch (1.3)
    Buffy suspects she has a witch on her hands when the cheerleading squad falls victim to sudden blindness and spontaneous combustion.

The Puppet Show (1.8)
    Buffy suspects that a ventriloquist's dummy may be harvesting organs from classmates performing in a talent show.

Angel (1.6)
    Buffy discovers Angel's dark secret and hesitates to do anything about it, which could spell danger for someone she loves.

Out of Mind, Out of Sight (1.11)
    When an invisible menace starts attacking students and faculty at Sunnydale High, the Scooby Gang traces the problem back to Cordelia.

Welcome to the Hellmouth (1.1)
    When teen vampire slayer Buffy tries to start a new life at Sunnydale High, she discovers that the school sits atop a demonic dimensional portal.

Teacher’s Pet (1.4)
    Buffy's biology teacher is killed by a giant praying mantis that assumes the form of a beautiful substitute teacher.

The Harvest (1.2)
    Buffy and her friends encounter a powerful vampire bent on opening a portal to a dimension inhabited by demons.

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (1.5)
    With Buffy preoccupied by her date with Owen, Giles is trapped by a group of vampires seeking to raise a powerful leader.

Best Season Moments
    #1. -- Buffy's ultra-nightmare of her father shit-talking her to her face.
    #2. -- Darla the vampire going full akimbo with two guns against the slayer.
    #3. -- Buffy's reaction to learning about her fate as written in the prophecy 

Best Quote of the Season
    Jenny: You think the mystical is limited to ancient texts and relics? That bad old science made the magic go away? The divine exists in cyberspace, same as out here. 
    Giles: Are you a witch? 
    Jenny: I don't have that kind of power. "Techno pagan" is the term.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I finished my rewatch of the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Here are my thoughts:
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1

Master Character Ranking
    #1. -- Cordelia 
    #2. -- Giles
    #3. -- Buffy
    #4. -- Willow
    #5. -- Angel
    #6. -- Xander

Master Episode Ranking
    I, Robot... You, Jane (1.7)
    Willow's new Internet chat buddy turns out to be a powerful demon electronically unleashed from a centuries-old, newly digitized book.

Nightmares (1.9)
    A series of strange occurrences lead Buffy and her friends to discover that their worst nightmares have literally become reality.

Prophecy Girl (1.12)
    Buffy's plan to live a normal life goes awry when the Earth cracks open and an army of demons emerges.

Witch (1.3)
    Buffy suspects she has a witch on her hands when the cheerleading squad falls victim to sudden blindness and spontaneous combustion.

The Puppet Show (1.8)
    Buffy suspects that a ventriloquist's dummy may be harvesting organs from classmates performing in a talent show.

Angel (1.6)
    Buffy discovers Angel's dark secret and hesitates to do anything about it, which could spell danger for someone she loves.

Out of Mind, Out of Sight (1.11)
    When an invisible menace starts attacking students and faculty at Sunnydale High, the Scooby Gang traces the problem back to Cordelia.

Welcome to the Hellmouth (1.1)
    When teen vampire slayer Buffy tries to start a new life at Sunnydale High, she discovers that the school sits atop a demonic dimensional portal.

Teacher’s Pet (1.4)
    Buffy's biology teacher is killed by a giant praying mantis that assumes the form of a beautiful substitute teacher.

The Harvest (1.2)
    Buffy and her friends encounter a powerful vampire bent on opening a portal to a dimension inhabited by demons.

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (1.5)
    With Buffy preoccupied by her date with Owen, Giles is trapped by a group of vampires seeking to raise a powerful leader.

Best Season Moments
    #1. -- Buffy's ultra-nightmare of her father shit-talking her to her face.
    #2. -- Darla the vampire going full akimbo with two guns against the slayer.
    #3. -- Buffy's reaction to learning about her fate as written in the prophecy 

Best Quote of the Season
    Jenny: You think the mystical is limited to ancient texts and relics? That bad old science made the magic go away? The divine exists in cyberspace, same as out here. 
    Giles: Are you a witch? 
    Jenny: I don't have that kind of power. "Techno pagan" is the term.

In retrospect why was anyone surprised to discover Whedon using the term "Hacktivist" in Agents of Shield. "Techno Pagan"... my god.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.