As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [GIF] thread is mourning Stephen Wilhite by arguing about pronunciation (nsf56k)

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Both dogs look so happy as they inflict thousands of dollars of damage to the car

What's the bet on cat or squirrel hiding in the engine bay

We were never there. They can't prove shit.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    GrotesqueVacantInsect-size_restricted.gif

e: I got 62 cents from google for confessing to searching for this for a meme.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    "Let me see if that seal is still down there."

"yes yes it is"

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I've never seen a penguin yell NOPE before

• Options
    Sound

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Sound

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    LOL I was wondering what he was on about for a while

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I can see what he meant

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I can see what he meant

I was with him the whole ride.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I was absolutely certain that second car was doing to disappear into the abyss.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    That man was riding on a vacuum.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    That man was riding on a vacuum.

That was my favorite.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I appreciated the control interface for the chair.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I appreciated the control interface for the chair.

That's not a chair.
    It's a toilet.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    I love this kind of ingenuity

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    That's some of smoothest Iaido I've seen, from both guys. The one that drew directly into a high guard is no slouch.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    That's the end of Sanjuro right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkF6Zz67TE

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've watched that gif like twenty times I still can't see the guy on the left draw the sword. It just goes from hand on hilt to under the guy's chin. Like there are not enough frames to capture how crazy fast that guy is.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Looks like all the unsheathing is done with his left hand, the right just rotates at the wrist to bring the blade up.

sig.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I've watched that gif like twenty times I still can't see the guy on the left draw the sword. It just goes from hand on hilt to under the guy's chin. Like there are not enough frames to capture how crazy fast that guy is.

If you look at the scabbard you can see it twitch backwards during the draw which I think he's using to help clear the blade.

• Options
    edited May 2022

it doesn't help that the picture is hella compression artifacted and low resolution

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I did Iaido a long time ago, and I certainly never got near the level of the dude in that video, but in general, manipulating the scabbard with your left hand was key to getting quick draws.

The scabbard is secured by a decently broad piece of cloth called an obi, which gives you a good amount of ability to shift the scabbard around. In the kata I learned, you'd do as much pulling the scabbard backwards, off of the blade, as you would move the blade forward, to get into a position where you could cut (or in this example, move the blade across your body into a thrusting position).

Unfortunately, the gif is from an angle that makes the scabbard work basically invisible. You can see that he flattens the blade out across his body (note how the end of the hilt ends up pointing towards the camera) and draws across his body, before flicking the point out towards his opponent.

It's a combination of moving the blade, moving the scabbard, and moving his entire body that facilitates the quick draw, which is why it's so impressive.

For something that is similar (though, not nearly as fast) check starting around the 2 minute mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7GRI6Pjadg

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

edit: I did a dumb comment

Psykoma on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    One of my favorite parts of that Iaido gif is it took me like twenty watches trying to understand the quick draw to even notice the dude swinging the kasurigama in the back

• Options
    I noticed that first because there is so much more going on and with the artifacting it's way easier to see.

It took me a hot minute to figure out what was going on in the foreground was such a big damn deal.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that's just a rubber sword going boing.

Like the samurai had in the old days to pretend to do hari-kari with when they didn't actually like their boss.

• Options
    It's hara-kiri.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The baseball broadcaster?

• Options
    Yes.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    what the fuck

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    hmm I get a slight feeling of pulling to the side but not as dramatically as that gif
    feels like it's trying to stabilize the head against a surface pressing it from that direction, which causes your head to turn because the pressure is from something attached to your head, not a surface

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think the entire purpose is to get your idiot friends to put a hanger on their head.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I just tried it and it definitely gave a clear feeling of wanting to turn my head in the direction of the hook.

I also tried it with the hook pointing toward the front and back, and it made me want to tilt my head up (back) and down (front), although the sensation wasn't nearly as strong.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's the same basic mechanism as throwing salt over your shoulder to avert bad luck. The hanger gets stuck on the Devil's horns and the movement is caused by his attempts to surreptitiously disentangle himself.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i actually don't have a wire hanger in my house so i can't try, i tried with a plastic one but it can't fit over my head.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains