As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [GIF] thread is mourning Stephen Wilhite by arguing about pronunciation (nsf56k)

18687888991

Posts

  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Sound

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh deer

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    The sound might make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    That's the biggest raspberry slushy I've ever seen.

    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Wow! I wonder what kind of conditions permit those ice crystals to form like that without being a sheet?

  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Wow! I wonder what kind of conditions permit those ice crystals to form like that without being a sheet?

    Wild guess is that it's salt water adjacent to a moving glacier?

  • Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    It's called "Candle Ice", which is a type of "Rotten Ice".
    Article from the Journal of Glaciology.

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Windburn wrote: »
    It's called "Candle Ice", which is a type of "Rotten Ice".
    Article from the Journal of Glaciology.

    That is wild! Thanks for the ref, the paper is some fascinating reading

  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Wow! I wonder what kind of conditions permit those ice crystals to form like that without being a sheet?

    Wild guess is that it's salt water adjacent to a moving glacier?

    That clip was taken at Banff, so it's freshwater.

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    Both have sound, but the first doesn't really need it.

    crushed car

    Holy fuck, modern car safety design is amazing.

    yeah when I was younger my grandpa liked to complain about how all these modern plastic cars are so unsafe, not like those old metal monstrosities from the 50s and 60s

    I was just a kid so I didn't know shit from shit, but stuff like this makes it clear that for as experienced and knowledgeable my gramps was (and he really was) everyone is capable of talking out their ass from time to time

    It's counterintuitive, honestly, but modern car safety is designed around making them exactly as soft and squishy and breakable as your grandpa thought they were.

    They are literally designed to smash and squish and break and not stay rigid and strong when they're in a crash, with the small but incredibly important exception of the part of the car where the people are.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    Both have sound, but the first doesn't really need it.

    crushed car

    Holy fuck, modern car safety design is amazing.

    yeah when I was younger my grandpa liked to complain about how all these modern plastic cars are so unsafe, not like those old metal monstrosities from the 50s and 60s

    I was just a kid so I didn't know shit from shit, but stuff like this makes it clear that for as experienced and knowledgeable my gramps was (and he really was) everyone is capable of talking out their ass from time to time

    It's counterintuitive, honestly, but modern car safety is designed around making them exactly as soft and squishy and breakable as your grandpa thought they were.

    They are literally designed to smash and squish and break and not stay rigid and strong when they're in a crash, with the small but incredibly important exception of the part of the car where the people are.

    yeah, modern cars are designed to protect the occupants, old cars were designed to protect the cars

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    Both have sound, but the first doesn't really need it.

    crushed car

    Holy fuck, modern car safety design is amazing.

    yeah when I was younger my grandpa liked to complain about how all these modern plastic cars are so unsafe, not like those old metal monstrosities from the 50s and 60s

    I was just a kid so I didn't know shit from shit, but stuff like this makes it clear that for as experienced and knowledgeable my gramps was (and he really was) everyone is capable of talking out their ass from time to time

    It's counterintuitive, honestly, but modern car safety is designed around making them exactly as soft and squishy and breakable as your grandpa thought they were.

    They are literally designed to smash and squish and break and not stay rigid and strong when they're in a crash, with the small but incredibly important exception of the part of the car where the people are.

    yeah, modern cars are designed to protect the occupants, old cars were designed to protect the cars

    Even then, only to a limited degree. Flip anything upside down and all the occupants are probably dead as the roof caves in. Take a side impact and watch the non-structural door allow fatal intrusion into the passenger compartment. Give an 1/4 overlapped full speed impact to the front and the engine gets dropped in the driver’s lap while the front of the car crumbles.

    They were better at absorbing low speed collisions without damage, but for everything else they were trash.

    Orca on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I've got an older family member that's really into classic cars. Likes restoring them, going to classic car shows, has a couple of fun older cars they like to keep running.

    A few years back, car safety came up in conversation, and I assumed they would do the whole "older cars were safer!" bit, but they actually went on a whole thing about how safe newer cars are, how much progress has been made, and that if they had to pick, they would 100% get in wrecks in newer cars than older ones.

    So that was nice.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sadly I still feel unsafe driving a larger SUV in a world full of lifted trucks and monster 2-3 foot tall grills.

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tangent, but I really wish claw games weren't as rigged as they are. I find the actual art of grabbing onto things with a claw as a fun bit of skill, but having it be literally too weak to lift anything is just.. annoying.

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    You should try those japanese claw games where you're not even trying to pick something up, just nudge it ever so slightly bit by bit over hundreds of runs until it maybe falls in the hole.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I feel bad for that cat. Can you imagine finding a nice quiet comfortable place to nap, and then some jackass wakes you up by dropping a stuffed elephant on you?

  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I feel bad for that cat. Can you imagine finding a nice quiet comfortable place to nap, and then some jackass wakes you up by dropping a stuffed elephant on you?

    I mean, yeah, I have kids.

  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    Sound


    The "Whaddo I do!?" is so unexpected, it's the meat of the wonderful journey we're taken on.

    This is just a natural reaction to drinking sparkling water in the first place.

    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular


    Just waiting for the season to start here in California...

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    And something a bit lighter (sound on).

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    that dude is definitely a theater kid

  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular


    I think the goal is to slap someone without spitting out the drink? I can't stop laughing

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My local Taco Bell has a kid getting very relaxed and weird on the intercom. I just kinda cringe and try my best to remain neutral. Already jacks up my anxiety that the fast food places around here know me by name/voice...

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Sound

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    This is adorable

  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    This is adorable

    @Framling

    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh no.

    Ooooh no no no no no nononononono nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Saucer Separation.

  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    now imagine a human doing that

    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    now imagine a human doing that

    I mean I have had some pretty gnarly sunburns...

  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Sound!

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it's like the gift of the magi except everybody wins

  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Zebras. Second is loud.


    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I genuinely had no idea just how human a zebra scream could sound

  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I genuinely had no idea just how human a zebra scream could sound

    It sounds like a human scream because it is a human scream.

  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.