Options

[Star Wars] Elan Sleazebaggano went home and became a family man

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Mando episode 4 spoilers
    I can't believe they pulled the "someone shot the baby! Oh no actually they got shot first" trick again and I still fell for it

This episode ruled.
    If you make a magnificent seven plot I am legally obligated to be all in.

Also, things we learned/were spelled out in this one
    I liked the conversation about his helmet and how that was used as tension and a set up for down the line for if and when he takes it off in front of someone.

I loved the exchange- what happens if you take it off (in front of someone)?

“I can’t put it on anymore”

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    screw the haters. After watching the prequel trilogy the solo movie was amazing.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Solo movie is fun. Sometimes Star Wars just need to fun.

Also Star Wars needs to sometimes be terrifying and the
    AT-ST in this episode was terrifying which it hasn't been since Shadows of the Empire.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Solo needed more heist. I wanted the ocean's 11 of star wars. their heist was 1) lie 2) blast em 3) cheese it

but yeah, it was fun

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I’m starting to believe that people had an inflated image of Star Wars in general. Nothing could’ve been made that’ll fill those expectations

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I’m starting to believe that people had an inflated image of Star Wars in general. Nothing could’ve been made that’ll fill those expectations

Or people just have different tastes?

Solo had some good bits, but they were completely undermined by the need to over explain the origin of every last little detail about Han. Aside from the stripes on his pants, thankfully.

But Rogue One? Great. The Last Jedi? Great. The Force Awakens? Fun, with good characters and a great cast, and managed to make me believe that good Star Wars could still be made. Just, hopefully in a less derivative way going forward.

The Mandalorian? Far better than I ever expected. To the point that I'm really looking forward to the Obi Wan series.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Solo and Rogue One were both plagued by a lot of trouble behind the scenes if I remember correctly. Swapping directors, reshoots, etc. Neither of them should've been as good as they were all things considered so I'm willing to cut them more slack. Especially Rogue One. My only real issues with it were the questionable implementations of cgi characters.

The fight over Skariff was awesome and the unused footage from the OT's made it feel spot on. Not to mention the Vader Hallway of Death remains possibly the most terrifying thing in a Star Wars movie to date.

Oh and the set, costume and prop design were all A+ as well. They really nailed the grungey, lived in, vintage tech vibe of the original films. That's something I don't think the sequels have completely gotten.

Basically what I'm saying is that Rogue One fucking slaps.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    And it had Mads Mikkelsen so it gets even more points.

We should put Mads in more Star Wars. Put him in 5 Star Wars.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The only thing that could get me on board with these new fangled star wars is if the next one just fucking quintuples down on the hair raisingly terrible attempts at comedy and boy "they fly now" gives a body hope

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Solo and Rogue One were both plagued by a lot of trouble behind the scenes if I remember correctly. Swapping directors, reshoots, etc. Neither of them should've been as good as they were all things considered so I'm willing to cut them more slack. Especially Rogue One. My only real issues with it were the questionable implementations of cgi characters.

The fight over Skariff was awesome and the unused footage from the OT's made it feel spot on. Not to mention the Vader Hallway of Death remains possibly the most terrifying thing in a Star Wars movie to date.

Oh and the set, costume and prop design were all A+ as well. They really nailed the grungey, lived in, vintage tech vibe of the original films. That's something I don't think the sequels have completely gotten.

Basically what I'm saying is that Rogue One fucking slaps.

My mom likes the original Star Wars films, but gets confused by the constant time period hopping. I generally just tell her, oh this story is X years before or after this story.
    When she saw Rogue One, she went from ambilvalence, to impressed, to tears by the end. Especially when I did the trick of immediately putting in ANH on the player seconds after Rogue One ended.
    "OH!"

• Options
    Star Wars should forever have dumb comedy. I will defend to the Nun puppets from TLJ to my grave. My entire tombstone will be a manifesto to TLJ, all written in skewed yellow text.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Absolutely, the blu rays should have all the hours and hours and hours and hours of yo mamma jokes that got left in the ol cuttin room

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Rogue One is absolutely my favoute "movies with mom" experience I've had, and her reaction pretty much followed yours. As a half-Mexican family, having Diago Luna as a supporting actor made it all the better too (Let him touch the Yabba, cowards).

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Mads was wasted due to reshooting 40% of the film. You can still see the ghost of a real father/daughter relationship in the film.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Mads was wasted due to reshooting 40% of the film. You can still see the ghost of a real father/daughter relationship in the film.

Just like Forrest Whittaker's role.

Rogue One is my goto for an example of greater than the sum of its parts

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Saw is really underdeveloped, but I'm happy since at least Onderon is back in Canon.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Rogue ones got so much going against it. The turn from reluctant hero to hero is so jarring, but the final third of the film is just amazing star wars that I don't care about any of it's other failings. Also scene by scene it's very cool and the actors are all just so great.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Mandalorian ep4:
    Sure, let’s just turn into Seven Samurai for a bit, just get all the classics in there. I’ve been rewatching Rebels because I never saw the last season and marked out a bit at seeing the Loth cat. I appreciate someone put some mood lighting in the AT-ST, and that it died like almost every other AT-ST.

Also, I’m real curious how the trackers work.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    every episode of Mandalorian has been really good

cara dune is my favorite, just as I knew she would be based on the marketing

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Finished watching The Clone Wars. The show had some fantastic storylines, great characters, thrilling action scenes, and sold the slow decline of the republic and Anakin's fall better than the movies ever did, but it also confirmed that Jar Jar Fucks so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Wyborn and I are watching Mandalorian and starting in on Rebels so we're having a very Star Warsy few weeks

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I still don't think Gina Carano is a very good actress but she has so much presence that she mostly makes up for it

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    "Stop touching things."

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I still don't think Gina Carano is a very good actress but she has so much presence that she mostly makes up for it

This was the best I'd seen her in anything, which shows me the right role/writing/director can utilize her well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

And by presence you mean biceps right

Because holy fuckin crow

I have never had a celebrity crush before in my life but I sure as shit have one now

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Also good job directing this episode Bryce Dallas Howard, that was a real trip seeing that name pop up in the credits

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also good job directing this episode Bryce Dallas Howard, that was a real trip seeing that name pop up in the credits

Yeah I thought the direction was well done. Especially (spoilers for episode 4 of the mandalorian)

Making an AT ST terrifying, just well done with the red eyes and emerging.

She also had a good eye for directing the action scenes, as much as nepotism is an issue with Hollywood, if Bryce can bring this level of direction to other projects I'd welcome a new eye even if her dad's name helped get her there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Because holy fuckin crow

I have never had a celebrity crush before in my life but I sure as shit have one now

Never??
    I feel like that's most of my crushes

Also Gina Carano crushes you

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Um she was Crush during the American Gladiators run during the writers Strike and she was the best.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options

Because holy fuckin crow

Never??
    I feel like that's most of my crushes

Also Gina Carano crushes you

I’ve just... never been all that affected by a celebrity’s appearance? Like yeah I think some people look good and some look real good but it’s never been a Thing for me like I’ve seen it be for other people
    At least until right now, where I’m literally looking at an image of Gina Carano as Cara Dune and fanning myself, I mean my god
    Insert eyes emoji here

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Bruh she could snap me in half and I'd have a smile on my face

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mando Episode 4 was great
    Mando transitioning straight into Baby Yoda's beleaguered father was perfect

When he put him in his lap and called him a womp rat I got all warm and fuzzy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    BlankZoe wrote: »

Episode 4 spoiler

stop touching things

*touches something*

Literally something my damn kid does all the time.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    Bruh she could snap me in half and I'd have a smile on my face

How I wanna go out, honestly

Yeah this stuff is heartwarming as shit
    also the kid staring at him while he flipped a switch after being told to stop touching things had me laughing, that’s a classic bit and I’ll always enjoy it

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

So she's like the female Jason Momoa?

• Options
    Either one could crush me

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

that was really close to something my dad used to call my sister and I when we were kids so it got me REAL GOOD

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

So she's like the female Jason Momoa?

It took me a few but I remembered Haywire that mess of a movie

• Options
    I don't see a general Disney+ thread...

I see Disney+ will have a Moon Knight series. It seems my investment was indeed a good one.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    This episode was so good
    That AT-ST had some incredibly menacing hollywood monster energy going on there. That whole sequence was great.

So I think I missed some dialogue and I wasn't quite clear on whether Cara was supposed to be an ex-stormtrooper or not. Mando referred to her as a shock trooper at one point, but I couldn't tell if that was a friendly jab or literal.

This discussion has been closed.