As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Elan Sleazebaggano went home and became a family man

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Finished up Season 1 of Rebels with our group watch

That was a hell of a finale, goddamn

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm just about to start season 6 of clone wars then I can't wait to start on rebels! I think my fave star wars stuff is all empire times side stories so I'm excited.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    A conversation on Twitter has reminded me that somehow a lot of people walked away from the force awakens thinking that Finn was committed to fighting the First Order st the end. It makes me wonder if it’s even possible to clarify that sort of thing when a movie goes out of its way to give the character a speech about how he doesn’t care about all of that and he’s only there to rescue his friend.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    A conversation on Twitter has reminded me that somehow a lot of people walked away from the force awakens thinking that Finn was committed to fighting the First Order st the end. It makes me wonder if it’s even possible to clarify that sort of thing when a movie goes out of its way to give the character a speech about how he doesn’t care about all of that and he’s only there to rescue his friend.

I don't think this is a good argument seeing as Han didn't necessarily commit to fighting the Empire by the end of New Hope in an overt way but then had apparently done just that as Empire Strikes Back picks back up.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Han wasn't unconscious the entire time between movies. As far as Finn is concerned when he wakes up in TLJ it's been no time at all since the end of TFA.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Han wasn't unconscious the entire time between movies. As far as Finn is concerned when he wakes up in TLJ it's been no time at all since the end of TFA.

Because it basically has been...what, a week? Tops?

Meanwhile it's obviously been a while (even if you don't know about the canonical time of 3 years) between ANH and ESB.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Posted this in the other thread: Finished season 4 for Rebels. Holy crap! Not even sure what to say. It was much better than I was expecting. Maybe contrasting against the ST is helping it, but dang that was a good season. Endings in general are hard to nail, and I think they did a pretty good job.

Only part I didn't like:
    The time and space gateway thing seemed to be the weakest part. If the Jedi had something like that, it kind of means they'd know Order 66 was coming and/or could change it, or any number of time traveling scenario's. I wasn't even sure what it was doing there in the end. How did it know where to go? Why did the emperor need access but then already have a small part of it? Was that part only to Ezra? How did the Emperor already seem to have access but not access? Time travel is just so tricky to handle, just wish they went a different route.

The wolves warping across the planet was another stretch, but at least you could hand wave that one to maybe there were set gates that they knew about. Not that they had magic force teleportation.

Weirdly they handled the Jedi thing pretty well. It was always going to be tough with the whole Yoda "last of the Jedi you'll be" line. You knew both of them couldn't stay with the group by the end, but overall I really like the idea of leaving Ezra and Thrawn as unknowns. Thrawn is just too good a villain to have ended him here. Could make for a good transition to old EU Thrawn, scraping remnants back together.

Overall, it's been while since I was excited about anything Star Wars. I think the SWTOR expansions (kotfe/kotet) may have been the last time. Definitely would love to see Filoni return after Clone Wars is done to do more Rebels. If they need more live action stuff for Disney+, I could probably be talked into a non-animated version.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Getting a fairly low profile director for a big blockbuster project?

James Gunn, Taika Waititi, The Russos, Peyton Reed etc.

Yep. The other thing Marvel has done well is given the lower profile directors a framework to work with. I personally think it helps since the director/writers don't get too crazy with world-level details and can focus on the story they are trying to tell. Thor: Ragnorak is a good example of Taika mentioning something like how they gave him some framework around the high level stuff (I'm sure the ending was part of that) but then let him do what he does for the rest.

If the ST has taught us anything, it's that someone needs to reign in the world building so we don't keep going DBZ with force "power levels".

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I don't think that the sequel trilogy has done much to tell us about world building at all (except for parts of last jedi)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think TLJ's Canto Bight/introduction of proper class warfare section is maybe the strongest world building in a Star Wars film

After 7 movies of mostly clear cut good/evil lines (outside of the Jedi's hubris) the reveal that A) there's an entire ultra rich class of folks entirely unaffected by the wars and B) these people are playing both sides and ultimately profiteering and prolonging the conflict is

That's some spicy stuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've been re-watching Clone Wars and I like how whenever Anakin does something morally questionable the Vader music plays for a second. Just to hammer that whole thing home.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think TLJ's Canto Bight/introduction of proper class warfare section is maybe the strongest world building in a Star Wars film

After 7 movies of mostly clear cut good/evil lines (outside of the Jedi's hubris) the reveal that A) there's an entire ultra rich class of folks entirely unaffected by the wars and B) these people are playing both sides and ultimately profiteering and prolonging the conflict is

That's some spicy stuff

I can't wait for the sequel to TLJ to come out and do more stuff with this incredibly important information, I mean, what kind of a sequel would look at that and ignore it

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I don't think this is a good argument seeing as Han didn't necessarily commit to fighting the Empire by the end of New Hope in an overt way but then had apparently done just that as Empire Strikes Back picks back up.

The argument to the people are thinking is that during the film Finn commits to the Rebel cause and that his plot in TLJ is a betrayal of that. So yes pointing out that no such plot happened and TFA ends with Finn willing to endanger the rebellion to get a chance at saving Rey is a good argument.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It is a strange arc for a emancipated reformed child soldier to not free their fellow victims but to blow them all up

• Options
    It is a strange arc for a emancipated reformed child soldier to not free their fellow victims but to blow them all up

What, you weren't satisfied with his arc being...yelling another character's name a bunch?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I remember seeing Finn with a lightsaber in the promo material for The Force Awakens and thinking "I hope he ends up being a dumb fucking clown idiot who's only personality trait is a crush" and as such was not disappointed by the sequels.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Remember Finns great big full body leaky stumbly baby diaper suit

Often all I can think about

• Options
    The fact that Rise of Skywalker
    Literally had characters who Finn met who were former stormtroopers like him, and then they did...nothing with that

Is astoundingly dumb

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I honestly wish TLJ had decided to be about Canto Bight if they were going to go that way. As it is, the sequence is not integrated all that smoothly.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I have decided that the TLJ and TRS are closer to the 80s animated Transformer movie than they are to the OT.

The primary purpose was not to explore a world and/or tell a story, the primary purpose was to create a reason to sell other things. Storytelling and Worldbuilding were secondary and tertiary to that.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I don't think that the sequel trilogy has done much to tell us about world building at all (except for parts of last jedi)

idk, Starkiller base was channeling some of the worst of the Legacy EU (sucking star plasma, shooting from unknown regions to the core worlds, splitting beams for individual planets in different orbits). You had ships that go into hyperspace and hit another ship, causing a mini nuclear explosion (why have weapons at all? Just have droid/drone missiles with hyperspace generators). Not to mention all the force stuff, surviving in space, projecting across the galaxy, super lightning that can attack an entire fleet, super healing, force ghosts causing physical damage, and probably others I'm missing.

That's some spicy stuff

I did like that part. I also liked canonizing the need for fuel. It was kind of assumed but it makes sense.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I have decided that the TLJ and TRS are closer to the 80s animated Transformer movie than they are to the OT.

The primary purpose was not to explore a world and/or tell a story, the primary purpose was to create a reason to sell other things. Storytelling and Worldbuilding were secondary and tertiary to that.

Honestly, I can't agree. TLJ is the most Star Wars has ever tried to hammer home a message and it explores that very thoroughly, while filling in plenty of worldbuilding-- we were just talking about the extra layer Canto Bight adds to the conflict we'd been following for seven movies at that point

And while I don't care for TRoS, they were definitely trying stuff with the story, just mostly bad and regressive stuff. I mean Exogol and Force dyads and secret Sith cults are all worldbuilding

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I don't think TLJ adds that layer particularly well? Like, it wants to. I can see what it's trying to do, but there is just so mich cruft and nonsense that it doesn't work for me.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »

Honestly, I can't agree. TLJ is the most Star Wars has ever tried to hammer home a message and it explores that very thoroughly, while filling in plenty of worldbuilding-- we were just talking about the extra layer Canto Bight adds to the conflict we'd been following for seven movies at that point

And while I don't care for TRoS, they were definitely trying stuff with the story, just mostly bad and regressive stuff. I mean Exogol and Force dyads and secret Sith cults are all worldbuilding

I'm not saying those things were non-existent, just that they were a lower priority than merchandising and as a result, the attempts at worldbuilding and storytelling were unrefined and generally bad.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    NuStar Wars has been pretty good at getting newer directors. Aside from JJ you've got Rian, whose biggest success is Looper, and Colin was hired off just one movie. Gareth and the comedy dudes who got dumped are definitelty not small fish though. Tbh I'm surprised that they're not playing it safe. Solo and RoS were super safe in their (eventual) director picks and i was kinda expecting more of the same.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I don't see TLJ as being particularly merchandising-driven.

I mean, the porgs were just a solution to wildlife being on-camera, rather than a planned cash-in.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    You know what just sprang to me unbidden?

The lava lightsaber from Star Wars Galaxies
    LavaCrystalLightsaber.jpg

I think there was like, a Mustafar expansion? I feel like HK-47 was there???

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    HK-47 was almost certainly there and in fact everywhere, because Star Wars never met a character archetype it didn't find a way to drive into the ground, and "murderbot" was probably the first real new archetype for them in years so we gotta get the most out of that

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    HK-47 was almost certainly there and in fact everywhere, because Star Wars never met a character archetype it didn't find a way to drive into the ground, and "murderbot" was probably the first real new archetype for them in years so we gotta get the most out of that

Yeah I just looked it up, he's absolutely in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbOAgiA2LQ0

This clip is complete nonsense, and I didn't hear him speak once (which like, what's even the point), but by god, he's in there

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Rebels bit pulled out of spoilery context:

I'm certain that in the SWRPG campaign of which this is clearly a dramatization, most or all of the players were rolling their eyes when Dave brought out his damn wolves again.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I'm certain that in the SWRPG campaign of which this is clearly a dramatization, most or all of the players were rolling their eyes when Dave brought out his damn wolves again.

Much like the noble hedgehog, Filoni only knows a single trick.
    But, it's a really good trick.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Much like the noble hedgehog, Filoni only knows a single trick.
    But, it's a really good trick.

Spinning?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    no four pronged penii

wait no that's echidnas

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    and that's the joker's trick

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

That's some spicy stuff

I think that information needs way more context. There was a ton of old EU lore about what Incom was and why they would make X-Wings for the Rebels and so on. The Disney explanation being "Mr. Monopoly makes all of it because he LOVES money!" is kind of... stupid. Like... wouldn't the Emperor just send troops to kill a company openly arming the Rebels, like when he massacred the banks and merchants at the end of the Clone Wars? There has to be a lot more to it. Not saying it's an unworkable idea, just that Rose's explanation is like... very stupid.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So Project Luminous is getting announced at an event tonight in like an hour and a half

But a book seems to have leaked

• Options
    I literally just got mad about Rise of Skywalker earlier today, why am I letting myself get excited about this announcement
    this is a rhetorical question, I know it's because I'm a mark

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    WHAT DID I SAY.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    What era is the High Republic?

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    What era is the High Republic?
    Based on the leaks, somewhere between 300-400 years before TPM

This discussion has been closed.