As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars] Elan Sleazebaggano went home and became a family man

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I think TLJ's Canto Bight/introduction of proper class warfare section is maybe the strongest world building in a Star Wars film

After 7 movies of mostly clear cut good/evil lines (outside of the Jedi's hubris) the reveal that A) there's an entire ultra rich class of folks entirely unaffected by the wars and B) these people are playing both sides and ultimately profiteering and prolonging the conflict is

That's some spicy stuff

I think that information needs way more context. There was a ton of old EU lore about what Incom was and why they would make X-Wings for the Rebels and so on. The Disney explanation being "Mr. Monopoly makes all of it because he LOVES money!" is kind of... stupid. Like... wouldn't the Emperor just send troops to kill a company openly arming the Rebels, like when he massacred the banks and merchants at the end of the Clone Wars? There has to be a lot more to it. Not saying it's an unworkable idea, just that Rose's explanation is like... very stupid.

I decided to look up that scene because I'm pretty sure they say they are selling to the republic and the FO not the rebels but in searching I discovered that at least one group of people is doing some sort of full re-edit of TLJ and I want you to know I fucking hate you for setting off the events that showed me that.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    What era is the High Republic?
    Based on the leaks, somewhere between 300-400 years before TPM
    so what you're saying is it could be 420 BBY

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think TLJ's Canto Bight/introduction of proper class warfare section is maybe the strongest world building in a Star Wars film

After 7 movies of mostly clear cut good/evil lines (outside of the Jedi's hubris) the reveal that A) there's an entire ultra rich class of folks entirely unaffected by the wars and B) these people are playing both sides and ultimately profiteering and prolonging the conflict is

That's some spicy stuff

I think that information needs way more context. There was a ton of old EU lore about what Incom was and why they would make X-Wings for the Rebels and so on. The Disney explanation being "Mr. Monopoly makes all of it because he LOVES money!" is kind of... stupid. Like... wouldn't the Emperor just send troops to kill a company openly arming the Rebels, like when he massacred the banks and merchants at the end of the Clone Wars? There has to be a lot more to it. Not saying it's an unworkable idea, just that Rose's explanation is like... very stupid.

I decided to look up that scene because I'm pretty sure they say they are selling to the republic and the FO not the rebels but in searching I discovered that at least one group of people is doing some sort of full re-edit of TLJ and I want you to know I fucking hate you for setting off the events that showed me that.

I accidentally found that once when I was looking for the opening Poe scene on YouTube

The edits they made there were taking out the "unnecessary" funny bit with BB-8 trying to fix the ship, and making it so that nothing bad happens so that Poe is just a cool hero for the rest of the movie

Anyway, now YouTube recommends more of those clips to me, because algorithms are hell, and you haven't lived until you've seen them try to replace Laura Dern with old Ackbar footage

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't really care about that era of the Republic anymore but
    Wookiee with a lightsaber, huh...

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That's some spicy stuff

Although, if they are openly dealing with the FO, why did Leia or anyone in the Republic not just send a guy to check what was going in with big weapons systems orders?

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

It’s a new era! Apparently it was barely even touched by the old EU

Fencingsax wrote: »

That's some spicy stuff

Although, if they are openly dealing with the FO, why did Leia or anyone in the Republic not just send a guy to check what was going in with big weapons systems orders?

Although the movies don't make this clear the FO was a legal government within the Republic. Selling weapons to the FO wasn't illegal or anything.

Quire.jpg
    Jimothy wrote: »

Oh it's all the same

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Oh it's all the same

There will be bad guys with British accents, and good and bad space wizards, and fighters that look suspiciously like TIEs.
    Somehow.
    Always.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That's some spicy stuff

Although the movies don't make this clear the FO was a legal government within the Republic. Selling weapons to the FO wasn't illegal or anything.

Wait, what?

I mean, beyond the concern of them significantly rearming should be a concern anyways, I just....

Man, fuck the ST.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

Looks like it’s only 200 years before Phantom Menace, though that still means no Sith (unless the Jedi who encounter them die without being able to report back), since the Sith were thought extinct for a thousand years

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    They weren't within the Republic, but they were ostensibly at peace with it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    JayKaos wrote: »

Any intelligence or defense agency would have found out they were rearming in approximately 3 seconds though. I mean, beyond just leaving them alone, this is something that should not have been a surprise.

That's some spicy stuff

Wait, what?

I mean, beyond the concern of them significantly rearming should be a concern anyways, I just....

Man, fuck the ST.

I forget the details but as I recall Jakuu is the site of a decisive battle in which the Remnants of the Empire rose up to take and hold territory. It ends with the Republic and the FO signing a treaty recognizing them. That's why the Resistance exists. Leia and her crew are waging a war against them secretly aided by members of the Republic.

I'm not really sure what the problem is though. The description in TLJ is pretty directly analogous to the military build-up of WWI. Each side probably did have a certain understanding of what the other side was doing. Starkiller base is the only thing that really tipped the balance and that was probably an internal program done in secret. All of this is pretty standard.

...Until you get to the Final Order which is pretty dumb.

Quire.jpg

Any intelligence or defense agency would have found out they were rearming in approximately 3 seconds though. I mean, beyond just leaving them alone, this is something that should not have been a surprise.

That they were preparing for war wasn't a surprise. The damage Starkiller base does is supposed to be so extreme as to have given the FO the advantage they needed to begin a war properly.

Quire.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

That's some spicy stuff

That's some spicy stuff

Wait, what?

Man, fuck the ST.

I forget the details but as I recall Jakuu is the site of a decisive battle in which the Remnants of the Empire rose up to take and hold territory. It ends with the Republic and the FO signing a treaty recognizing them. That's why the Resistance exists. Leia and her crew are waging a war against them secretly aided by members of the Republic.

I'm not really sure what the problem is though. The description in TLJ is pretty directly analogous to the military build-up of WWI. Each side probably did have a certain understanding of what the other side was doing. Starkiller base is the only thing that really tipped the balance and that was probably an internal program done in secret. All of this is pretty standard.

Not exactly. They signed a peace treaty with the empire, which then who knows what happened to do, and then the first order was some secret thing that was happening in the background of Bloodlines. And then...stuff I guess. Man, the sequel era was really opposed to explaining anything.

edited February 2020

That they were preparing for war wasn't a surprise. The damage Starkiller base does is supposed to be so extreme as to have given the FO the advantage they needed to begin a war properly.

"Yeah, they actually have a pretty decent army..."

*Washington and several other major cities go up in mushroom clouds*

"... oh and it turns out, they have a nuke. uh. multiple nukes."

*troops and tanks start rolling off container ships in ports all around the country*

"Look, no one could have foreseen this."
    because it's dumb and an excuse to roll back to the status quo of plucky rebels massively outgunned by an Empire

Commander Zoom on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

That's some spicy stuff

Wait, what?

Man, fuck the ST.

Jakku is the end of Operation Cinder, which is mentioned in several stories, notably the Aftermath novels and the Battlefront 2 campaign. Basically, a big ol' planet bomb is supposed to kill the Imperial Remnant and the bulk of the New Republic army/fleet as Emperor Palpatine flipping one last bird at the galaxy. The premise before TRoS was that Palpatine was very cross for losing and was starting the First Order in the Unknown Regions (in secret) as a replacement for the Empire, which sucks now in his opinion since it didn't prevent him from losing. TRoS adds the annoying and stupid detail that uh... he was alive and stuff, just needed a couple decades to heal up and such I guess.

Leia kind of did find out, this is what Bloodlines and the Poe Dameron comics are about. Her creating the Resistance to figure out what the First Order is doing and to stop them without committing to open war (because she doesn't have the political role to push the Republic to war or the capital to convince people to do that for her). TFA's reveal of Starkiller base sounds a lot more reasonable after TRoS reveals that Palpatine's plans used the console to spawn infinite secret resources and troops.

TFA's reveal of Starkiller base sounds a lot more reasonable after TRoS reveals that Palpatine's plans used the console to spawn infinite secret resources and troops.

"The third movie makes the first one look less stupid by comparison" is not exactly a glowing endorsement.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So did some signals get crossed? There were rumors of a movie being set in the High Republic era, but it looks like it’s just a book?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    TFA's reveal of Starkiller base sounds a lot more reasonable after TRoS reveals that Palpatine's plans used the console to spawn infinite secret resources and troops.

"The third movie makes the first one look less stupid by comparison" is not exactly a glowing endorsement.

It isn't at all, but one has to admit that the horrible lack of logic in the third one actually makes the first one a more consistent story when it deployed that same mistake on a smaller scale. See, we thought Starkiller base was a gaffe of some kind for several years now. But it turns out that the writers just have NO CLUE what "logistics" are. None whatsoever.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

That's some spicy stuff

Wait, what?

Man, fuck the ST.

Jakku is the end of Operation Cinder, which is mentioned in several stories, notably the Aftermath novels and the Battlefront 2 campaign. Basically, a big ol' planet bomb is supposed to kill the Imperial Remnant and the bulk of the New Republic army/fleet as Emperor Palpatine flipping one last bird at the galaxy. The premise before TRoS was that Palpatine was very cross for losing and was starting the First Order in the Unknown Regions (in secret) as a replacement for the Empire, which sucks now in his opinion since it didn't prevent him from losing. TRoS adds the annoying and stupid detail that uh... he was alive and stuff, just needed a couple decades to heal up and such I guess.

Leia kind of did find out, this is what Bloodlines and the Poe Dameron comics are about. Her creating the Resistance to figure out what the First Order is doing and to stop them without committing to open war (because she doesn't have the political role to push the Republic to war or the capital to convince people to do that for her). TFA's reveal of Starkiller base sounds a lot more reasonable after TRoS reveals that Palpatine's plans used the console to spawn infinite secret resources and troops.

You want to do 90% of what the trilogy does without having a Death Star retread, sticking close to some of the originals World War II combat roots, a chase more sensical in the second act and have a good EU call back or two?

Okay here goes.

First Movie- New Republic dominant military force. First Order building in secret. Super Weapon is anti ship tech with it's silly range still. Only practical for targeting fleets attacking planet or in stationary orbit - NR knows of it's existence but knows it will be able to detect a firing and scramble it's fleets in time so is at a stalemate.

Game breaking tech is invention of new cloaking tech used to hide reflector arrays that are able to quickly divert the beam. FO fires weapon a la North Korea testing nukes periodically in a harmless manner but array suddenly decimates main fleet of the NR. This suddenly leaves the two forces at parity.

Raid on planet at end is small craft/snub fighter only a la the Doolittle raid.

Second Movie opens with the FO on a highly coordinated offensive like the Japanese breakout post Pearl Harbor. The smashing of the main fleet and the sudden offense now has them as the premiere force in the Galaxy but not leaving the good guys at three ships or whatever.

When the resistance base is found at the beginning of the movie by a cloaked scout that followed them from the last battle, a spare FO force is sent to wipe it out and has the firepower to do it. Insert dialogue about how they don't have fuel reserves to jump to a friendly system not currently under siege on such short notice, create pretense for them to stay at sub light - no one is able to send help because FO is all over their shit. You can do the end of the movie basically the same way.

Third Movie - secret fleet peanut butter mixed with clone technology liberated from Republic secret archives in the FOs blitz offensive in movie 2. FO had been losing ground since their offensive kicked off since they are as popular as Space AIDS. About to solve recruitment problems and tip the balance of war. Big show down to wipe out the new cloning facility/drydocked fleet.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    So did some signals get crossed? There were rumors of a movie being set in the High Republic era, but it looks like it’s just a book?

It's a multimedia push for the High Republic as a setting, multiple books and comics announced explicitly, at multiple reader ages.

liEt3nH.png

This event was always just a publishing thing, it's books and comics. There are rumors of video games and eventually movies set in this era, but that's not a sure thing yet

Real mixed emotion about the setting, I think that Star Wars is broadly at its best dealing with frontier-y and western settings, but making it outright the Republic's expansion into frontiers feels like it's going to play in territory about colonization that the setting will not be interrogating, especially when positioning jedi as the noble sheriffs. In that same context, comparing the villains to marauding vikings feels like it's only further playing that up - they're the BAD RAIDERS, while the Republic and the Jedi will be the force for good uplifting these poor pre-existing civilizations to a proper standard and protecting them from the villains.

liEt3nH.png

This event was always just a publishing thing, it's books and comics. There are rumors of video games and eventually movies set in this era, but that's not a sure thing yet

The director announced is for a different thing, I think

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What if it's just Star Trek?

Real mixed emotion about the setting, I think that Star Wars is broadly at its best dealing with frontier-y and western settings, but making it outright the Republic's expansion into frontiers feels like it's going to play in territory about colonization that the setting will not be interrogating, especially when positioning jedi as the noble sheriffs. In that same context, comparing the villains to marauding vikings feels like it's only further playing that up - they're the BAD RAIDERS, while the Republic and the Jedi will be the force for good uplifting these poor pre-existing civilizations to a proper standard and protecting them from the villains.

Cowboys and Injuns wtf dude it's 2020 we can't do that shit anymore uh uh VIKINGS!

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    What if it's just Star Trek?

Well, somebody should and it sounds like the people who own Star Trek don't feel like it.

Quire.jpg
    Also "what scares the Jedi" is hilarious as an idea that they're trying to pitch, like literally every piece of content about Jedi is about how the scariest thing for them is losing control and choosing to practice the Dark Side

liEt3nH.png
    I'd be into THE NIHIL as a very aggressive race a la Klingons that the Republic just has to kind of parley and work with when it comes to the Outer Rim

liEt3nH.png
    I'm potentially into the setting, at least as far as it being a place to tell stories goes

I'll be less into it when they inevitably have The Discovery of Tatooine as a whole thing

I'm potentially into the setting, at least as far as it being a place to tell stories goes

I'll be less into it when they inevitably have The Discovery of Tatooine as a whole thing

Yeah honestly as much as I'm poo-pooing it, it's going to just be the same as the rest of Star Wars media. A lot of bad, a lot of awkwardly hamfistedly referencing the movies, a lot of lack of interrogation of the setting's themes, and also sprinkled about some good stuff varying from pulpy to deep. Nothing about announcing a new setting push really changes that core Star Warsness.

liEt3nH.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    the setting definitely feels like it could be fraught, though i can't imagine you get Justina Ireland and Daniel Jose Older in the room and that shit doesn't come up repeatedly

if i had to guess i'd say (like previous star wars book lines) the level of "gets the implications" is gonna vary a lot from author to author, unless this really is the kind of ongoing team project they're presenting it as

which seems like it'd be pretty expensive, but i guess they do have disney money so

Daypigeon on
    If they can fulfill the promise of "the Jedi at their height" in a way that isn't just "Yo, there's so many Jedi, make sure to collect all their toys" I would be interested

Give me the Jedi as Obi-Wan describes them in ANH, as like a job a person does instead of a thing a person is

If they can fulfill the promise of "the Jedi at their height" in a way that isn't just "Yo, there's so many Jedi, make sure to collect all their toys" I would be interested

Give me the Jedi as Obi-Wan describes them in ANH, as like a job a person does instead of a thing a person is

Is that... how he describes them

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you don't get Pablo Hidalgo and Daniel Jose Older to go "Whooo colonialism good!"

Is that... how he describes them

It's the interpretation I made after watching it again recently

So much less of what a Jedi is is codified in a way that is to be expected, since it was just one movie

But taken on its own, without the rest of the movies as context, I feel like Obi-Wan describes the Jedi as an a culture of warrior monks almost like the Mandalorians, scattered across the galaxy doing good and training up apprentices

I don't have the exact quotes to justify it in front of me at the moment, and also it's just some bullshit I came up with, but I'm enamored with the version of the Jedi presented in the OT, before it was decided that they all dressed like Obi-Wan in the desert and shit

Basically for me "the Jedi at their height" should mean a bunch of "Luke Skywalker at the beginning of ROTJs" running around the galaxy, not a bunch of SWTOR Jedi OCs

The only quote he gives about the Jedi is "For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic". I guess I could see your read. I always viewed them more as Knights.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.