As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Music On] Video Game Music

urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I've decided that music in a video game can make or break the enjoyment factor (for me, at least). RPGs especially need good music, for me to sit through 30+ hours of grinding, leveling, etc.

But, as of late, it seems like Music in video games isn't what it used to be. I may be wrong (and I probably am) but it seems like this is much less important factor in making games... and they usually half ass it.

I'm going to do my best to post all the games in which I think the music has changed the tide for my enjoyment. I want you guys to suggest games that have great music, especially ones that I miss.

I'll try my best to keep this updated, and post links to sites where you can download music from.

LINKS!
www.ocremix.org -> Probably the best site on the net to get remixed songs of your favorite games! I have almost every song from this site downloaded.

www.vgmusic.com -> Great place to get .mid files of the (almost) original songs for almost every game you can think of!

GAMES!
Nintendo GameBoy
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Pokemon (series)
Super Nintendo Sega Genesis PlayStation 1 Nintendo 64 Sega Dreamcast Nintendo GameCube PlayStation 2
  • Xenosaga
  • Shadow Hearts
  • Shadow Hearts: From the New World
  • Shadow Hearts: Covenant
  • Shadow of the Colossus
Microsoft Xbox
  • Halo
  • Halo 2
  • Ninja Gaiden
Nintendo DS
  • AdvanceWars: Dual Strike
  • Pokemon series (Includes Gameboy/Advance)
PC
[/LIST]

Note: This list is very preliminary. If you guys could list some games for other systems that would be awesome. I'm drawing a blank right now on any recent games (which is bad). I will (as soon as we get more people posting) also sort these by systems, for your viewing pleasure!

PS: If this thread violates the TOS for G&T, please close it!

EDIT: Added a few games, including Xenosaga for the PS2. The music was conducted by the London Symphony Orchestra and was probably one of the only good things about the game.

EDIT (5/23/07): Sorry for the lack of updates; Had a dentist appointment in the morning, and didn't even turn my computer on when I got home from class. Added: Fallout series (amazing game! the music adds SO much to it), Oblivion (I agree, great orchestral music), Pokemon Series (I prefer the music to the first two, but the music is actually really good), Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (Phendrana Drifts could put me to sleep; So peaceful), Tetris (Duh.), Monkey Island (been years since I've heard it, but still remember alot of the songs), Sonic + Knuckles... And many others.

EDIT: Added a lot of links to games that are found on OCREMIX.ORG -> I will also (here shortly) be adding links to each game on vgmusic.com as well, so you can jump straight to the game by clicking on here.

urahonky on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Deus Ex and System Shock 2 Sound tracks are fantastic and free, forgotten the links atm though..

Rez "Gamers Guide..." remix is lovely too, if you're in the mood for that type of thing. The standard OST is available there to, but I prefer that mix.

LewieP on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks LewieP, I absolutely forgot about those two PC games (love both of them).

Also reminded me of PN03 for the Gamecube. Seriously, if you've not played the game (I bought it on eBay for $0.70 with a $1 shipping charge), give it a shot. The music is great. It's hard to maneuver but otherwise it's a great game.

urahonky on
    edited May 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Thanks LewieP, I absolutely forgot about those two PC games (love both of them).

Also reminded me of PN03 for the Gamecube. Seriously, if you've not played the game (I bought it on eBay for $0.70 with a $1 shipping charge), give it a shot. The music is great. It's hard to maneuver but otherwise it's a great game.

I also recommend it just to see one of the first steps in the PN03 -> RE4 -> God Hand evolution chain. If you like either of those to games, it's worth picking up PN03 considering how dirt cheap it is these days. If you don't like either of those two games, then I don't know what to say other than O_o

LewieP on
    edited May 2007
    I bought it on a whim, because I'm a huge Capcom fanboy. I avoided it because everyone made it sounds like it was some sort of rhythm game. But when it was priced at $.70 it's hard to pass that up. It turned out to be a great action game. (with amazing music)

urahonky on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Skies of Arcadia.

Beats the pants off any Final Fantasy orchestral.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Seems like an increasing number of games don't even compose new music and just grabbed licensed stuff.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Skies of Arcadia.

Oh God, you're right! I especially loved the ship battle music.

urahonky on
    edited May 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Seems like an increasing number of games don't even compose new music and just grabbed licensed stuff.

It's a shame. Because music adds to the feel of a game.

urahonky on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Halo

Over and over and over. I don't care if half the people here hate the series, the music is some of the best gaming has ever seen.

bruin on
  • Mister ServoMister Servo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Metal Gear Solid 3 had one of the best soundtracks in the series, in my opinion. I know some people didn't like the Bond type theme song, but I absolutely loved it. I couldn't stop humming it for a long time after.

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
    edited May 2007
    edited May 2007
    Although I'm not a big fan of HALO, i'll admit that the music (intro music) was indeed really good.

And I agree with MGS3; That's some music I can hum all the time.

urahonky on
    edited May 2007
    Haha, I'd love to add The Offspring, because nothing beats listening to their songs while playing a good shooter game. (Really fast paced music)

urahonky on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All three Shadow Hearts.

Persona 3.

Wild ARMs.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited May 2007
    Good call Blackjack! Seriously, I missed those :( I'm ashamed of myself.

urahonky on
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Skies of Arcadia.

Oh God, you're right! I especially loved the ship battle music.

Im not sure on the legality of posting a link to download the entire sountrack as mp3s.

So if anyone wants it hit me up with a PM.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some of the music in World of Warcraft is pretty good, and although I can't really remember it that well, I remember most of the music in Half-Life 2 as being good.

Peewi on
    edited May 2007
    WoW did indeed have some good music, I've also added StarCraft, because I loved the Terran music SO much, I had it in mp3 format on my cd player (back in the day) for the longest time.

HL2 music was amazing, but too bad it was few and far between.

urahonky on
    edited May 2007
    I love the music of Advance Wars, and here is all the music for download.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited May 2007

Does that site have the music for the DS version? Or is it just the GBA versions? Sorry... Blocked by websense.

urahonky on
    edited May 2007
    I'm wondering about how they get the midis they have on vgmusic.com. Initially I would have thought that they somehow extract them directly from the games, but I think the Zelda:TP midis sound different than the music ingame.
    I've also read on wiki that some of it's music is midi and some of it is actually orchestrated, but does anyone actually know what songs are which?

Peewi on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm wondering about how they get the midis they have on vgmusic.com. Initially I would have thought that they somehow extract them directly from the games, but I think the Zelda:TP midis sound different than the music ingame.
    I've also read on wiki that some of it's music is midi and some of it is actually orchestrated, but does anyone actually know what songs are which?

people make them. By hand.

yalborap on
    edited May 2007
    I heard everything in TP is midi music.

The midi music on that site is extracted differently than you might think. I read about it when vgmusic.com first started; I can't remember for the life of me right now, but I'll be sure to post a link for you; Or just send you the information in a PM later on Peewi.

EDIT:

Okay question answered.

urahonky on
    edited May 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

people make them. By hand.

Well, that explains why it sounds a little different.

Peewi on
    edited May 2007

Does that site have the music for the DS version? Or is it just the GBA versions? Sorry... Blocked by websense.
    That link is just for DS, but if you explore the site you'll find music for both of the GBA games.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The SNES was fairly capable at producing some impressive sound, Personally FFVI is my favorite videogame soundtrack ever (most of the cast has thier own theme, and dancing mad is awesome), although Chrono Trigger is pretty damn good too.

LockeCole on
    edited May 2007
    Cool, I certainly will when I get home. Thanks for the link!

Oh and I'm off to class for about 6 hours. So don't expect this to get updated in the mean time. So please, keep posting some games that have good music. And I'll get around to finding them online; With a direct link to them for your hearing pleasure. :)

urahonky on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I ordered the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack a few days ago.

DarkPrimus on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fire Emblem has some pretty sweet music.

I mean, OK, they tend to recycle stuff like 'Together We Ride', but it's solid music all the same. I especially like tracks like 'Into the Shadow of Triumph', 'Into the Shadow of Victory' and 'Bittersweet Victory'.

WotanAnubis on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've got Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2 OST Disc 1 in my car stereo right now. Fucking awesome.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    People, stop this. The reason why we have a new video game music thread every week is because everyone either just says, "The music for <this game> is balls-hot. I like <random track> especially," and leaves it at that! No conversation at all. And, oh, occasionally, we'll get the one guy who just mentions all the game soundtracks he was able to torrent in a single post. Besides the necessary mention of ocremix.org, nothing really good comes of these threads. No one walks away and says, "hey, drhazard mentioned in a single sentence that he liked the Deus Ex soundtrack. I should go get it!"

So c'mon. Give me some meat. Give me something to make me want to look it up.

Here, I'll give an example. Mark Morgan's written quite a few scores, and though his most recent ones are probably never going to be heard by most people (25 to Life), there are three that I would suggest for atmosphere alone. Fallout and Fallout 2 were both scored by him, and he captures the desolation of the wasteland extremely well. Most importantly, though, I would imagine that anyone listening to one of the soundtrack after playing the game would immediately recognize that it was there in the game, but can't tie it to a specific event. It reminds me of the Gladiator soundtrack in that regard--you know it's there in the background while you're watching it, but it isn't grabbing you by the short and curlies and demanding that you pay attention at the expense of the rest of the movie.

His other soundtrack is, of course, Planescape: Torment. All three of the games mentioned have been scored with a heavy synthesized feel to them, with the Fallouts embracing it fully and the Torment one attempting to have a more combined feel, using synthesizers to both imitate physical instruments and electronic ones. It isn't as atmospheric as the Fallouts--it does get pretty bombastic in places--but its use is for a different function. At least half of the soundtrack is character theme-based, which makes a whole lot more sense for such a narrative game. Each character theme is actually composed of several different themes--how they interact determines the character theme itself.

If you're willing to listen to some stuff from when synthesizers were young and imperfect (have you heard Jeremy Soule's latest stuff done on his personal synth programs? So realistic!), then I can't recommend these three enough. Here's where you can get all three for free:

Fallout 1 & 2: http://www.nma-fallout.com (Yes, I know, No Mutants Allowed blows, but they have the soundtracks)
    Planescape: Torment: http://www.planescape-torment.org/soundtrack/

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone who plays, but does not mention, ANY of the Pokemon games is dead in my book.

The Muffin Man on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone who plays, but does not mention, ANY of the Pokemon games is dead in my book.

I am shocked, shocked that no one on OC Remix has done any Pokemon songs yet.

Remember the Surf theme from R/B? Oh god, I used to just hop on my Blastoise and sit there, listening to it.

DarkPrimus on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shoji Meguro is pretty much all-around awesome, but I like his work on Digital Devil Saga most. Some techno, some metal, some Eastern, a little of everything, and just about all of it is great. Plenty of melodic and intense music.

I miss Yasunori Mitsuda's older works, because he hasn't done anything up to the standards Xenogears and Chrono Trigger/Cross set yet.

And Ar Tonelico has beautiful vocal music, but there's three+ OSTs to wade through to find it, CD-wise.

At least the game has a playback feature.

Wangan Midnight: very seconded. And you can't say that without showing Initial D's soundtrack some love.

Not so much for the original music, but the licensed tracks. Night of Fire, Over The Rainbow, Remember Me, Love Is In Danger...

Why Gamble Rumble isn't playable in-game yet, who knows.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2007
    I have the Doomsday Zone music from Sonic 3 + Knuckles.

Fucking epic.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I ordered the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack a few days ago.

Criminal that this is the first mention of it. The soundtrack deserves at least as much credit as the graphics re: the game's atmosphere. It's so good. When you're approaching the flying colossus at the lake, just swimming towards him slowly, while he sits perched atop an obelisk watching you with curiosity, the music is just perfect. I can't describe it any other way. It's music that complements the game perfectly.

I'm also going to throw Final Fantasy XII out there. None of the songs really stood out to me in the game, but IMO the soundtrack is actually better when you're just listening to it. A lot of the great songs aren't really heard much in the game at all, like maybe once and that's it. I can appreciate it a lot more listening to it outside the game and hearing all the nuances through my earphones. A great composer. I especially like the Main Theme of FFXII.

Also, MGS1 OST>the others, imo. I like it much better than all that breakbeat-infested Gregson-Williams shit. Hibino makes good stuff for the games though. But anytime a boss fight is coming up, I still immediately think of MGS1's boss theme.

Noray on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thread needs more Monkey Island.

The original Midi version was haunting, and the genre required quality in the tune, as you'd be spending a lot of time listening to one location's music. From the near-perfect simplicity of the original two games, the advances in CMI allowed more tonal variation, adding instrumental parts as opposed to just beeps. I don't know whether that makes sense to anybody, as it's late and I'm non-musical and slightly drunk/tired, but the long and the short of it is, Monkey Island music rocks.

And Tetris, because any good player has heard it so many times it's like a mantra.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

D: I'm so sorry. I love the Pokemon battle music.

Actually I've not been into it in D/P as much as other games, despite the higher quality. I guess that's why I didn't think of it.

bruin on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I am shocked, shocked that no one on OC Remix has done any Pokemon songs yet.

Remember the Surf theme from R/B? Oh god, I used to just hop on my Blastoise and sit there, listening to it.

I used to "sit" in lots of parts in the Pokemon games. Especially G/S. The area that is the first time stepping in Kanto. Then when you're actually in Kanto (e.g. north of Cerulean City). Even in Stadium 1 and 2 I did this. Gym Leader Castle in S1 especially, where it's all kinda doom and gloom, then you choose where your next battles will be and BAM! Pokemon theme done in a super-heroic style starts. And the Mewtwo battle......! But most of all, entering the main stadium in S2, which is the New Bark Town theme when done by a small symphony.

Pokemon music just rocks, as silly as that may sound to some. 10 years strong, nearly 1.75 million copies of D/P sold in the U.S. in just over a week, but the music just doesn't quite get the credit it should.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bruin wrote: »

D: I'm so sorry. I love the Pokemon battle music.

Actually I've not been into it in D/P as much as other games, despite the higher quality. I guess that's why I didn't think of it.

Nothing, nothing matches up to the original game's battle/gym leader themes.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner