Options

[Love] and the gentle person

24567102

Posts

  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I heard some girls at my old work complaining about dating services and if they basically didn't act like they wanted straight up sex up front they couldn't get a date at all. That could just be endemic to the region or the age or both, but it was pretty chilling to hear.

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Probobabably a bot.

    That said if a robot wanted to give me sweet head I wouldn't necessarily say no.

    A ro-job, we call that

  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Maybe she was just offering you an expertly poured beer

  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Maybe she was just offering you an expertly poured beer

    damnit Brovid, this was literally what I was thinking when I got the message; "how can I make this into a beer drinking joke. Are you a bar tender that is cruel to the locals and gives them way too much head off the tap to try and move bottle inventory? No that's terrible to assume, I will take whatever foam you give me"

  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My dad poured me a beer at the weekend that made me prohibit him from ever pouring me a beer again. It was literally half a pint of Guinness with half a pint of head.

  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Smh at your dad

  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Probobabably a bot.

    That said if a robot wanted to give me sweet head I wouldn't necessarily say no.

    A ro-job, we call that

    Alternatively if it were to use its manipulator arms

    A RAM-Job

    Juggernut on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Dog thread I am excited to report I am going along on a private lesson tonight to help train a dog who is both deaf and blind

    We aren't charging them because the owner is a vet tech at our local vet, and also because this is the first time we've worked with a pet with this specific set of disabilities, so we'll have to experiment a bit and I'm excited for it

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I might have a date tomorrow night? She's a snowboarder. *swoon*

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Dog thread I am excited to report I am going along on a private lesson tonight to help train a dog who is both deaf and blind

    We aren't charging them because the owner is a vet tech at our local vet, and also because this is the first time we've worked with a pet with this specific set of disabilities, so we'll have to experiment a bit and I'm excited for it

    I would be very curious as to what you end up going with there. I've worked with both blind and deaf dogs, but never both at once. You would need to do some sort of touch based training, I assume?

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Had a girl offer me "great head" as a cold open, with the only thing her profile being "fun". May be time to retire Ok Cupid

    Hold on
    Let's see where she's going with this

    Well its all coming to a head

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, not to double post, but 1 month ago exactly was my 1 year wedding anniversary. We also realized that we've been together overall for nearly 7 years. Thats so many years. Like its hard to remember things from the before time where my brain doesn't just insert her into it.

  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Dog thread I am excited to report I am going along on a private lesson tonight to help train a dog who is both deaf and blind

    We aren't charging them because the owner is a vet tech at our local vet, and also because this is the first time we've worked with a pet with this specific set of disabilities, so we'll have to experiment a bit and I'm excited for it

    I would be very curious as to what you end up going with there. I've worked with both blind and deaf dogs, but never both at once. You would need to do some sort of touch based training, I assume?

    Very much so! We're lucky this one is a Border Collie and super smart, so she was picking up on things very quickly. The intent is to make all of the hand signals we would usually teach be modified into touch signals instead, including for praise since she can't hear or see it.

    This Collie in particular is entirely deaf, missing one eye, and can see about 2-3 feet away in shadows with the other. But it's really impressive how she's already totally acclimatized to her surroundings in only ten days (she's six months old and was in the shelter from 10 weeks until 5.5 months), almost entirely on touch and her amazing sense of smell! You'd be surprised to hear how little vision she has after meeting her; she found me at the front door in under a minute of us arriving, and she throws her nose in the air every time she wants to get her bearings and it is very cute.

    We started off with teaching her a signal for praise, which is touching her chest, and then immediately giving her treats. The sit is a tap to the pressure point between the two back legs above the tail, and the down is a tap to the pressure point between the front shoulder blades. Every time she does a sit or down with the command, we'd immediately tap her chest and give her a treat. By the end of the session (and certainly by the end of the week) she should associate that touch with a treat and be very easy to work with, comparably. The owner should have the sit, down, and stand started this week, and next week we're going to build on that, teach a very close by recall command as well as more heeling work, and if she invests in a vibration (*not* shock) collar, start building on that for the down so she can use it in an emergency if she's away from the dog. We also suggested using scent diffusers with dog-safe scents in case she ever gets lost - the scents would carry and potentially help bring her back in.

    It's a very fun way to train! Really challenges the perspectives and forces us to think about how to rearrange our lessons for a dog whose senses are just entirely different. It's like a very cute puzzle.

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    and she meant next Tuesday...

    Over under on me getting ghosted?

    Also I don't know how much effort I'm supposed to be putting in to actually meet up, so far it seems to be an issue where I suggest a day/place and leave the timing up to them...and then get nothing.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    and she meant next Tuesday...

    Over under on me getting ghosted?

    Also I don't know how much effort I'm supposed to be putting in to actually meet up, so far it seems to be an issue where I suggest a day/place and leave the timing up to them...and then get nothing.

    doodman, you have to do the planning; I hate to say it but the ladies, in my experience, prefer to do no planning whatsoever for first dates. suggest time, place, day, and adjust from there as per her feedback.

  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have been with @Moriveth since he was 19. I mean, I was also young (22), but I also had had a 4 year relationship and had been living with my bf and had graduated college by the time we met. Poor soul barely had any adult life without me...

  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    And now he's addicted to anime, videogames, lawyering and weed.

  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I have been with @Moriveth since he was 19. I mean, I was also young (22), but I also had had a 4 year relationship and had been living with my bf and had graduated college by the time we met. Poor soul barely had any adult life without me...

    Amy and I got together in 1999, in high school. I know them feels!

  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    As a person that has been single essentially all his life: folks who pair up young ain't missing much.

    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I hooked up with my sweetie in my very early 20s. I have now spent more time with her than I existed before her. And I don't regret not being single... not even a little bit <3

  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, my wife and I got married on the 8th anniversary of when we officially started dating. We recently celebrated our 15th anniversary. The only not-my-immediate-family-person I've spent more time with in my life is ... Sid Meier? :D

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My wife and I will have been together for 8 years come this January. Pretty nutty to think about.

  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    omi62ivarcwv.png

    What is your love language as a single person? Mine is killing an entire bag of Cheetos and falling asleep on the couch in front of a nature documentary.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My love language is Klingon.

  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Is this love language thing just the newest myers briggs trend? It feels way too catch wordy.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My love language is Klingon.

    Qapla'!

  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Mine is staring bitterly at my own reflection in a half drained bottle of cheap rye whiskey wondering how it all came to this.

  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Is this love language thing just the newest myers briggs trend? It feels way too catch wordy.

    I don't think so? It's been around for a few years at least. I don't think it purports to be any kind of science (or "science") -based thing, just breaking down how people communicate, ways in which they like to express themselves and ways in which they can appreciate others' communication.
    I don't hate it. It definitely makes sense to me, with the full acknowledgement that it may be some new-age hooey.

    chromdom on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Is this love language thing just the newest myers briggs trend? It feels way too catch wordy.

    More questionable religious affiliation than questionable pseudoscience (Dr. Gary Chapman, the guy who wrote the book, is a Baptist minister, and his various degrees are primarily from Christian colleges)

    But yeah, that's not far off

  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That said, as with all forms of divination, if it is a useful tool for you in understanding and describing your own self, there's nothing directly wrong with it

    It can only cause issues through an undue focus upon it (which some people of course have, as they do with MBTI and the Zodiac)

  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The one true love language is

    omelette du fromage

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I think I've got a coffee date on Thursday now, just gotta figure out what time.

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I feel like the best idea to get from what I've heard about "Love Language" is that everyone shows affection a certain way, and you have to not just realize what kind of ways you show affection, but what ways you like to be shown affection, and try and find a partner who matches both in the receiving and giving ends.

  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Everybody I know thinks I don't like hugs, but I love hugs. I just don't want to hurt people and I'm very large and careful.

    Is that my love language?

  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I feel like the best idea to get from what I've heard about "Love Language" is that everyone shows affection a certain way, and you have to not just realize what kind of ways you show affection, but what ways you like to be shown affection, and try and find a partner who matches both in the receiving and giving ends.

    That sounds like so much work

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I feel like the best idea to get from what I've heard about "Love Language" is that everyone shows affection a certain way, and you have to not just realize what kind of ways you show affection, but what ways you like to be shown affection, and try and find a partner who matches both in the receiving and giving ends.

    That sounds like so much work

    Romantic relationships take a lot of effort and care to maintain! Especially in the beginning.

  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also it's a way of codifying something that you may be able to intuit, which always makes it sound like more work than it is.

  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'll take your word for it. You both used exclamation points so it must be true.

  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I feel like the best idea to get from what I've heard about "Love Language" is that everyone shows affection a certain way, and you have to not just realize what kind of ways you show affection, but what ways you like to be shown affection, and try and find a partner who matches both in the receiving and giving ends.

    That sounds like so much work

    That's why I just do the Cheetos thing.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Dog thread I am excited to report I am going along on a private lesson tonight to help train a dog who is both deaf and blind

    We aren't charging them because the owner is a vet tech at our local vet, and also because this is the first time we've worked with a pet with this specific set of disabilities, so we'll have to experiment a bit and I'm excited for it

    I would be very curious as to what you end up going with there. I've worked with both blind and deaf dogs, but never both at once. You would need to do some sort of touch based training, I assume?

    Very much so! We're lucky this one is a Border Collie and super smart, so she was picking up on things very quickly. The intent is to make all of the hand signals we would usually teach be modified into touch signals instead, including for praise since she can't hear or see it.

    This Collie in particular is entirely deaf, missing one eye, and can see about 2-3 feet away in shadows with the other. But it's really impressive how she's already totally acclimatized to her surroundings in only ten days (she's six months old and was in the shelter from 10 weeks until 5.5 months), almost entirely on touch and her amazing sense of smell! You'd be surprised to hear how little vision she has after meeting her; she found me at the front door in under a minute of us arriving, and she throws her nose in the air every time she wants to get her bearings and it is very cute.

    We started off with teaching her a signal for praise, which is touching her chest, and then immediately giving her treats. The sit is a tap to the pressure point between the two back legs above the tail, and the down is a tap to the pressure point between the front shoulder blades. Every time she does a sit or down with the command, we'd immediately tap her chest and give her a treat. By the end of the session (and certainly by the end of the week) she should associate that touch with a treat and be very easy to work with, comparably. The owner should have the sit, down, and stand started this week, and next week we're going to build on that, teach a very close by recall command as well as more heeling work, and if she invests in a vibration (*not* shock) collar, start building on that for the down so she can use it in an emergency if she's away from the dog. We also suggested using scent diffusers with dog-safe scents in case she ever gets lost - the scents would carry and potentially help bring her back in.

    It's a very fun way to train! Really challenges the perspectives and forces us to think about how to rearrange our lessons for a dog whose senses are just entirely different. It's like a very cute puzzle.

    This is incredibly cool and you are incredibly cool for doing it, just fyi

This discussion has been closed.