As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Love] and the gentle person

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanks, all.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Drez, have you raised this with her? She might just be a person who struggles with work and isn’t realising how she is dumping this on you when she comes up to you like this.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I’m going insane. I cannot take the hot/cold shit anymore. One day she’s super friendly, chatty, even ambiguously flirty; the next day she acts like I’m not there. It wouldn’t drive me so crazy if I didn’t see and interact with her almost every day at work.

I can’t do this anymore. I need to leave this job. Maybe this city. She is driving me insane.

I feel like a Stepford smiler right now.

Drez, I might have missed a post somewhere but is this a person you are currently romantically involved with?

No, and I’m just trying to figure out our friendship at this point. One day we’re cool, she’s asking my advice, including me in in this, this, and that, making suggestions about doing this, this, and that after work or on the weekend or whatever, treating me like a confidant, someone close, and then hours on the same day with zero interaction later she’s cold, aloof, even dismissive, and it doesn’t feel like her general demeanor changed because she seems to be consistent with other people in the office. It’s like she turns her friendliness toward me on and off at random. She did it to me yesterday and again today. I’m really tired and frustrated. I hate just about everyone else at work so I don’t even know what to do anymore.

I'd say distance yourself from her in general Drez, like don't stop being friends necessarily but orient yourself so that cold, aloof, even dismissive is the expected. She's just not as close of a friend as you think she is. Or you're more invested than she is.

this is the not best advice

treat her like a close friend because she's s clearly exactly that. if that is not something you can do, which is fine and understandable, the best thing is to tell her that

I do feel like she is a close friend (usually) and I feel like she feels I am too (usually) and I don't want to drop her like a sack of potatoes, but I don't fucking understand those times where she just treats me like a nonentity.

I've actually talked to her about it, somewhat. Like this one time she dismissed something I said (again in a work context) and she could tell I got angry and upset about it. So she asked me and I explained that I felt she was being dismissive and some more around how I felt about it and she apologized and said she'd do her best to be more cognizant and I think she was for awhile but then just back to the same shit.

I think I have some rather deep-seated hangups about feeling dismissed and ignored in general and feel that a real friend would at least try not to do that, whether its within a work context or not.

i'm going to go out on a stupid limb and say she most likely has some social anxiety issues

nothing against and total respect to how you feel but sometimes those people just need to curl up and avoid everything

in any case it deffo sounds like you should look for romanticism elsewhere

I was wondering this. I know that I can be very inconsistent with how I interact with people. I wonder what it's like from their perspective.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Turns out that VSCO does not stand for Visual Communications.

It does involve a sort of visual communication, though.

Very Sad Cat Ogre
    Vivid Sour Clatter Orange
    Voluminous Sound Carry Officer

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oh man my dispensary has online ordering this is so dang convenient!

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I’m going insane. I cannot take the hot/cold shit anymore. One day she’s super friendly, chatty, even ambiguously flirty; the next day she acts like I’m not there. It wouldn’t drive me so crazy if I didn’t see and interact with her almost every day at work.

I can’t do this anymore. I need to leave this job. Maybe this city. She is driving me insane.

I feel like a Stepford smiler right now.

Drez, I might have missed a post somewhere but is this a person you are currently romantically involved with?

No, and I’m just trying to figure out our friendship at this point. One day we’re cool, she’s asking my advice, including me in in this, this, and that, making suggestions about doing this, this, and that after work or on the weekend or whatever, treating me like a confidant, someone close, and then hours on the same day with zero interaction later she’s cold, aloof, even dismissive, and it doesn’t feel like her general demeanor changed because she seems to be consistent with other people in the office. It’s like she turns her friendliness toward me on and off at random. She did it to me yesterday and again today. I’m really tired and frustrated. I hate just about everyone else at work so I don’t even know what to do anymore.

I'd say distance yourself from her in general Drez, like don't stop being friends necessarily but orient yourself so that cold, aloof, even dismissive is the expected. She's just not as close of a friend as you think she is. Or you're more invested than she is.

this is the not best advice

treat her like a close friend because she's s clearly exactly that. if that is not something you can do, which is fine and understandable, the best thing is to tell her that

I do feel like she is a close friend (usually) and I feel like she feels I am too (usually) and I don't want to drop her like a sack of potatoes, but I don't fucking understand those times where she just treats me like a nonentity.

I've actually talked to her about it, somewhat. Like this one time she dismissed something I said (again in a work context) and she could tell I got angry and upset about it. So she asked me and I explained that I felt she was being dismissive and some more around how I felt about it and she apologized and said she'd do her best to be more cognizant and I think she was for awhile but then just back to the same shit.

I think I have some rather deep-seated hangups about feeling dismissed and ignored in general and feel that a real friend would at least try not to do that, whether its within a work context or not.

i'm going to go out on a stupid limb and say she most likely has some social anxiety issues

nothing against and total respect to how you feel but sometimes those people just need to curl up and avoid everything

in any case it deffo sounds like you should look for romanticism elsewhere

I was wondering this. I know that I can be very inconsistent with how I interact with people. I wonder what it's like from their perspective.

I ran into my brother on the tram one morning and trying to get any small talk out of him about how life’s going is like pulling teeth.

Then I realized that’s probably exactly how my coworkers feel every morning when they try to small talk me and I give ambiguous non-answers to everything.

Flarne on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My back is still achey today, it feels a bit less achey than yesterday but still, bleh.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go dress up as a Santa with an electric guitar at a skate park for a christmas themed skateboard rap music video.

Living my best life.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Sometimes I’ll feel like I’ve been chatty and @Moriveth will complain about how quiet I am, then when I look back at our text history I’m genuinely surprised by how short and blunt a lot of my responses are! I guess I do more talking in my head...

• Options
    I mean to be fair

I tend to send you an annoying amount of messages

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm gonna go dress up as a Santa with an electric guitar at a skate park for a christmas themed skateboard rap music video.

Living my best life.

I hope you're credited as St. Nickenbaker

• Options
    Also re. what @Flarne says, my family is horrible about communication and it took me years to realize

I get told about births and deaths and that’s about it!

Here’s examples of my chat with Mori over the past couple of days:
    2019-12-11%2010.20.22.jpg

• Options
    yeah, how dare you

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Honestly I just read it as a relationship between a British person and an American. That might say more about me and my interactions with British folks than anything else, though.

• Options
    There are definitely a lot of small social differences between the UK and US that I still struggle with!

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

a thing i was thinking of starting to do is vaping CBD flower / hemp instead just to be able to do it while cutting down on getting too high / still getting some benefit but being less KO'd

has anyone tried

poo
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    the trick is to write every text message with full punctuation

hey! are we going to the thing tonight ??
    Yes.
    uh are you upset about something lol ?
    No.
    so are we okay
    No.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    As much as I’d just love to disengage completely, every time I make the decision to do that and actually just don’t engage with her at all, she pulls me back in. I feel like a ping-pong ball.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent. I’ll just suffer for now, it’s what I do best anyway.

This is the coworker that went with me as a date to my ex-friend/other coworker’s wedding who then tried to fuck her a couple of months later. Unfortunately I have a clusterfuck of emotion exacerbated by still having to work with him sitting behind me too.

This is way way easier for me to say than it will be for you to do - but you don't have to let her pull you back in. There are no strings on you, you are as in control as you do or do not want to be.

I say this from a place of having been there and almost having something like this (but not quite) break me up for far too long. It is not easy, it is not fun, but it is 100% the best thing you can do for yourself. There are a handful of reasons she might be acting this way but you actually don't really need to concern yourself with any of them. You gotta do you, man, and this shit is not healthy for you.

Nor is the whole "I shall suffer because it is what I am good at." Just cause you have doesn't mean that it defines you. Also, you're not getting bonus points for it. Not a soul is looking toward you and going "ya know? he suffers REALLY well...I admire it."

Live your best life, dude. And that honestly doesn't involve this person as a main player in the least.

Thanks, this...helps a lot more than I thought it would.

All I can really say from the little context we have is that if she was thoroughly interested in dating she wouldn't pull the aloofness card

There were several guys back in uni and the occasional one since in the workplace where I would very much like and want to be friends with them, but sense their romantic interest, and as a defense mechanism I'd go colder when it became very obvious that they were leaning harder into a crush, until they seemed to be over it and we could go back to being friends again

It'd be great if we could just talk openly about where things stand but women don't have as much access to that option for fear of retribution, generally

Get a new job and see if it's easier to maintain an amicable relationship from there

I get that this goes into dark places real fast but I still want to bring it up in the spirit of transparency and growth.
    As a cis white man, at this point I completely understand the bolded is a thing, the thing I am understanding less (especially as I get older) is why people would be friends with someone they also fear retribution from if they were open and honest about the nature of their (friend) relationship?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Fear of losing a friend? Not everyone hears, "Sorry but I'm just not interested in you in that way." the same way. For some people, it means exactly that. For others, it means a break from all non-necessary contact entirely.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    well considering the way men are allowed/expected to act

the choice basically becomes, take a gamble on some men, but still protect yourself with defensive behavoirs

or just never be friends with any man

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    dang mori maybe shut up for a bit

THAT'S why your back hurts; having to carry that whole conversation

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    As much as I’d just love to disengage completely, every time I make the decision to do that and actually just don’t engage with her at all, she pulls me back in. I feel like a ping-pong ball.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent. I’ll just suffer for now, it’s what I do best anyway.

This is the coworker that went with me as a date to my ex-friend/other coworker’s wedding who then tried to fuck her a couple of months later. Unfortunately I have a clusterfuck of emotion exacerbated by still having to work with him sitting behind me too.

This is way way easier for me to say than it will be for you to do - but you don't have to let her pull you back in. There are no strings on you, you are as in control as you do or do not want to be.

I say this from a place of having been there and almost having something like this (but not quite) break me up for far too long. It is not easy, it is not fun, but it is 100% the best thing you can do for yourself. There are a handful of reasons she might be acting this way but you actually don't really need to concern yourself with any of them. You gotta do you, man, and this shit is not healthy for you.

Nor is the whole "I shall suffer because it is what I am good at." Just cause you have doesn't mean that it defines you. Also, you're not getting bonus points for it. Not a soul is looking toward you and going "ya know? he suffers REALLY well...I admire it."

Live your best life, dude. And that honestly doesn't involve this person as a main player in the least.

All I can really say from the little context we have is that if she was thoroughly interested in dating she wouldn't pull the aloofness card

There were several guys back in uni and the occasional one since in the workplace where I would very much like and want to be friends with them, but sense their romantic interest, and as a defense mechanism I'd go colder when it became very obvious that they were leaning harder into a crush, until they seemed to be over it and we could go back to being friends again

It'd be great if we could just talk openly about where things stand but women don't have as much access to that option for fear of retribution, generally

Get a new job and see if it's easier to maintain an amicable relationship from there

I get that this goes into dark places real fast but I still want to bring it up in the spirit of transparency and growth.
    As a cis white man, at this point I completely understand the bolded is a thing, the thing I am understanding less (especially as I get older) is why people would be friends with someone they also fear retribution from if they were open and honest about the nature of their (friend) relationship?

I mean I was also talking about workplace relationships here, so there's levels upon which that can occur, several of which I've experienced, so! Reason to be cautious.

Otherwise, there's also social pressures at play when they're in your friend group and you're young and not comfortable broaching the subject with other friends. I'm very willing at 30 to do that and not give a fuck, but my early 20s self was petrified to do so, especially given that a lot of guys in those groups were ones I was unsure about if they'd believe me/be on my side about things or not. And yeah, given the rates of violence against women, it's generally safer to play coy than to be honest about how you feel (or don't, in this case).

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    dang mori maybe shut up for a bit

THAT'S why your back hurts; having to carry that whole conversation

NEVER

• Options

I mean I was also talking about workplace relationships here, so there's levels upon which that can occur, several of which I've experienced, so! Reason to be cautious.

Otherwise, there's also social pressures at play when they're in your friend group and you're young and not comfortable broaching the subject with other friends. I'm very willing at 30 to do that and not give a fuck, but my early 20s self was petrified to do so, especially given that a lot of guys in those groups were ones I was unsure about if they'd believe me/be on my side about things or not. And yeah, given the rates of violence against women, it's generally safer to play coy than to be honest about how you feel (or don't, in this case).

oh yeah, workplace stuff makes it more complicated weirder/worse to respond, I get that and it sucks. Hopefully that is changing too, for doing my part I know if any of my friends talk about flirting with anyone at work I call them out immediately. I practically wack them with a newspaper and yell no.

To the second thing, I'm hoping it's combo of timing an age for us and that things have changed for people in their early 20s in 2019. The dgaf mentality I've arrived to at/after 30 is so freeing.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Ho ho ho mother fuckers
    hj54hiwl1cha.jpg

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Hey Santa!

Do a kickflip!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That's fair, skateboarding does seem unsafe

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I put one foot on a skateboard and was immediately transported outside of my own body where I witnessed my death 1,000 times over.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Skateboarding is fun but it's something you gotta learn when you're young and dumb and full of less brittle bones

Straightzi on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm chock full of brittle bones.

Is like I'm filled with candy cigarettes.

I've never broken one though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Skateboarding is fun but it's something you gotta learn when you're young and dumb and full of less brittle bones

Like skiing.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Like skiing.

skateboarding is the most painful sport, it's so much less forgiving than basically every other board/action sport. Because it's all concrete everywhere.

I like to ART
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    oh I know

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Skiing ain't that bad unless you're trying to learn to jump

In which case yeah, pretty much the same thing

• Options
    Skiing ain't that bad unless you're trying to learn to jump

In which case yeah, pretty much the same thing

except unlike skating, with skiing 90% of the time speed is your friend because you can always slide.

I like to ART
  • Options
    My point was more that skiing is something where nearly everyone I know who skis learned as a kid. The vast majority of adults I know who never learned have gone "nah dawg not gonna fling myself down a hill at 40 mph, thanks."

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It has been too long since I've been skiing. I should rectify that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

a thing i was thinking of starting to do is vaping CBD flower / hemp instead just to be able to do it while cutting down on getting too high / still getting some benefit but being less KO'd

has anyone tried

like for anxiety, or pain? There's pretty good options for both. Anxiety-wise, my place usually has CBD oil (which my friend swears by. It let her go from like, panic attacks just going outside to going to concerts and stuff without panicking) or flower, and also like, tinctures or potions or whatever that you can take sublingual. They also have non-stoning topicals if it's pain.

• Options
    Preview of my date tonight:

https://youtu.be/mfN1kcotvUg

I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.