Options

[Imperator Rome] Wasn't Built In A Day

2»

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Invading Egypt is such a huge pain in the ass without naval superiority. The Nile breaks up the delta into areas which can't mutually support each other well so I have to keep my forces consolidated and siege slowly. Sinai is a shithole of deserts and hills broken up by impassable terrain. And both are too far away for a reserve in well stocked philistia to get there fast enough to help.

Also I'm super outnumbered due to Egypt's apparent army makeup of a hojillian light infantry. Which like, sure any individual Judean army is capable of fending off a lot light infantry, but I only have so many legions and they can't be everywhere at once.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I have many Judea tips if you want them.

edit: in the meatime have a free galatia
    7A8DA6D878E562F3A7000E24AEE5B7E7F054135D

Gundi on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Kingdom of David:
    680FB4562823443148FE3877B7E23DE7F26F02B9

I need another good war against the Seleucids to pick up Holy Pilgrim I think.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Got Holy Pilgrim last night. Probably going to retire this run there, there's not much left to do other than alternate wars against Egypt, Seleucids, and Asia until I run into another major power and I just don't care about seizing more land.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    There's a new Dev Diary focusing on updates in the next DLC to my FAVORITE IR faction, Egypt! (I'm taking a few Egyptology courses on Great Courses Plus, so great timing!)
    As you might have guessed, there is plenty of Diadochi-themed goodies in the incoming Heirs of Alexander DLC. Today, we are focusing on Ptolemaic Egypt. While not as adventurous or glamorous as his direct rivals, Ptolemaios I founded the most successful and renowned of the Diadochi kingdoms, which lasted until 30 BC when Ptolemaios’ last descendant - the famous Cleopatra VII - was defeated and her kingdom annexed by the Romans.

The four new missions from the DLC will accompany you through the greatest achievements and most challenging times of the Ptolemies, focusing on the early kings (Ptolemies I to III), encouraging you to emulate and even surpass their successes. Each mission focuses on one side of Ptolemaic politics: the conflict with the Antigonids first and the Seleukids later in Palestine and Phoenicia, the constant menace from the neighboring people of Cyrenaica and Kush, the dominion over the eastern Mediterranean, and the economic and cultural development of Egypt and, in particular, of its capital, Alexandria.

Antigonids and Seleukids - The Eastern Border
    Palestine and Phoenicia have always been the natural direction of Egyptian expansion - just think that the famous battle of Kadesh of pharaoh Ramesses II was fought almost a thousand years before our start date for this same area!
    The Ptolemies contended this area to the Antigonids first and the Seleukids later for centuries, with alternating fortunes. In this mission, you will lead Egypt to the limits of its historical expansion in Syria and beyond while facing the specific challenges and reaping the unique benefits these lands have to offer.
    For instance, Judea was a turbulent subject for their Hellenistic overlords of this period (e.g., the Maccabean revolt against the Seleukids in 167-160 BC); however, if Egypt succeeds in improving your relationship with the locals, you will gain a juicy historical event chain.
    EYWNMkU.jpg
    Unruly neighbors - Greater Empire
    As you can see, this mission has three main directions: on one side, you are encouraged to strengthen your position on the Red Sea by sending explorers, expanding ports, and conquering trading posts, which will force you to deal with Egypt’s historical nemesis, the Kush. On the opposite side, you have the unstable western border with Cyrenaica; despite being mostly of Greek culture, the area was hardly integrated into the Ptolemaic kingdom and offered a naturally restless playground for disloyal princes of the court. Before you freak out: yes - there were already some events dealing with Magas’ revolt; yes - they have been expanded upon and integrated into the mission; no - the previous events have not been paywalled. Instead, the central path is a cheeky challenge: can you do better than Alexander himself and set up a western branch of the Macedonian empire?
    ReoLo4r.jpg
    On a different topic, did you know that any attempt by the Ptolemies to breed African elephants for their army failed, so they were forced to capture wild elephants where they lived naturally, in modern-days Eritrea and Sudan?
    ggZxAcA.jpg
    Modernizing Egypt - The Macedonian Pharaoh
    This mission is entirely focused on developing your starting provinces and echoes the internal politics of the early Ptolemies. The city of Alexandria is the main focus of the tree; founded as a beacon of Greekness in Egypt by Alexander, the city was transformed into the Hellenistic world’s true capital by Ptolemy I and his descendants. By developing the city’s infrastructure, investing in festivals, building wonders, and introducing new cults, you will grow your capital into the finest city in the world! On the other hand, the Ptolemies did not neglect the chora (i.e., everything outside the cities) - and you won’t either - by investing in the colonization and reclamation of the lands along the Nile.
    Egypt was the home of a very ancient and well-rooted religion so, among the Ptolemies’ politics of integration between the locals and the new Hellenic élite, a place of honor was held by the introduction of syncretic cults: gods that did not belong to either Hellenic or Egyptian religion originally, but were meant to become a natural part of both. To reflect the gradual and incidental nature of such innovations, these new cults will be introduced by missions and follow-up events.
    J70zmoq.jpg
    Sea Wars - Thalassocracy
    Finally, to the last mission! Its starting point is given by Ptolemy’s interests and challenges from our starting date to his death. Still, the mission itself pushes the boundaries of Ptolemaic achievements and encourages you to answer the question: what would have happened if Ptolemy’s maritime politics had been entirely successful and he had won the race to sea control against Demetrios? Secure historical Ptolemaic bases, challenge the other Diadochi in Greece, and become the eastern Mediterranean’s hegemon to find out!
    egpOPat.jpg

Zavian on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Update and DLC release date is Feb 16.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So apparently Imperator is getting somewhat retooled (again)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbVx9vkp6h8

I have to admire Paradox for sticking with it.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I guess I appreciate that they keep trying. I'll check it out when they retool it. It's just not super compelling for me right now, hopefully they find their groove here.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    They have had a solid dev blog and update roadmap (with solid fan request listening) since release. The game has had drastic improvements to it since then and has only gotten better as it has gone on.

All in all as solid a pdx game there is. If you like pop management blob sims. I haven't dug too far into the military updates yet but I find it a nice even ground upgrade from the simple numbers and terrain fight it was before.

• Options
    So the long promised big update happened and so far the biggest change that I've noticed is that they royally screwed up the UI.

To the extent that I had to go to the official forums to ask if there was any indication of who was a member of a major family anymore or if I was just supposed to memorize names. (Turns out the top right corner of their portrait is faintly colored in).

The military system reminds me of CK2's levy/retinue split except I have no idea how to effect the size and/or makeup of a levy, and getting access to more than one piddly legion seems near impossible unless you're a major power.

I'm going to try a game or two to see if it clicks, otherwise it's back in the oven to wait for more patches.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Gave up on the game fast during its launch ~ but I am really intrigued by the latest update. May gave it a go.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    How does the game compare to other Paradox games. I find EU4 a little hard to get in, but CK3 is fun.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I picked this up like a week ago when I saw it for $6 on a reputable site. I've played many other Paradox games (not CK3 though) so the learning curve hasn't been too rough. I'm not entirely sure how I would describe it really, it's got a bit of EU4 to it but without the monarch point system that I don't particularly care for, instead using a pop system a bit like Victoria 2 of all things. It also has some character stuff like the Crusader Kings series, though it isn't quite the same scope.

In my typical fashion, I played the in-game tutorial for a bit, and then went for something completely different and instead of playing a super powerful nation like Rome or Maurya I went for Judea. From what I've read about the normal progression of things, I expected the Antigonids to get wrecked and Egypt to become my tributary overlord, but for some reason Egypt didn't join the Diadochi war. This resulted in the Selukids taking a fair bit of land, but not enough to border me, and Macedonia to take western Anatolia, but the Antigonids actually wiped out Thrace in the end. Meanwhile I've been building up my economy and even with having to pay tribute to the Antigonids I'm up to like 9 gold per month and since the Egyptians were having some troubles with a disloyal province I went ahead and convinced the governor to go ahead and move to Judea and bring a province with him, so I have Gaza and its entire province. It seemed the neighborly thing to do to help with Egypt's internal stability but they don't seem to be a big fan of the move. I had been considering performing the same valuable service for the Antigonids, since they had an unruly province to my north but they got some sort of event that has at least temporarily fixed that issue. Which is probably fine, because 20 aggressive expansion is actually kind of a lot. I would be a regional power, except my tributary status (that is likely the only reason Egypt hasn't stomped my face in) limits me to being a local power.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll continue this run, I can't expand via warfare without breaking my tributary status and I'm pretty sure the instant I break my tributary status I cease to exist as a nation. It's been pretty interesting building up the country, and there is a whole bunch there I can still do and I'm sure I'm making plenty of mistakes along the way. I might just keep going until I push too hard and end up getting squashed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Judea is very dependent on getting a lucky start to make it out of the tributary status alive yeah. Fun to try though and very fun when it works.

Sidenote, the Iranian formable Media has just the best hot pink map color, I love it.