As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Next Gen" upgrade path, backwards compatibility, etc...

AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I just now got around to trading in my DS Phat for a Lite...and I'm tempted to upgrade more systems. By "upgrade" I mean "replace."

Specifically, XBox -> 360 and NGC -> Wii. Why? Well, when I got the Lite, GameStop (I know, I know teh debil) gave me a book with "$20 extra when you trade in your XBox" and "get $20 extra when you trade in your NGC" coupons, which both expire on 6/17. Anyone know what their current rate (without cool coupons) is for the Xbox and NGC?

I know about the BC list for the XBox...how does the Wii handle NGC games? 100% flawlessly? Any snags (like how the DS doesn't do multiplayer GBA games)?

Basically, is there any reason NOT to trade up to the current gen of consoles?

AnakinOU on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the only snag for GC BC is online/lan games don't work, so thats PSO 1+2, PSO 3, MK: DD, 1080 and Kirby Racing game (name has slipped my mind just now..)

The only concern with 360 is a possible price drop is probably on the way soon, and possible reliability concerns. It has a solid lineup, with tonnes on the horizon.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Wii. It's currently in a post launch game drought, but there is plenty out (esp in USA) to keep you going till releases pick up. No chance of a price drop for a long time too

LewieP on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    I just now got around to trading in my DS Phat for a Lite...and I'm tempted to upgrade more systems. By "upgrade" I mean "replace."

Specifically, XBox -> 360 and NGC -> Wii. Why? Well, when I got the Lite, GameStop (I know, I know teh debil) gave me a book with "$20 extra when you trade in your XBox" and "get $20 extra when you trade in your NGC" coupons, which both expire on 6/17. Anyone know what their current rate (without cool coupons) is for the Xbox and NGC?

I know about the BC list for the XBox...how does the Wii handle NGC games? 100% flawlessly? Any snags (like how the DS doesn't do multiplayer GBA games)?

Basically, is there any reason NOT to trade up to the current gen of consoles?

Keep the Xbox. Not only is the BC list very patchy, but since production was stopped even before the 360 came out, they're relatively expensive and tough to find/replace.

But you can replace your 'cube without fear. Aside from the mentioned LAN difficulties, I haven't heard of any BC glitches there.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My understanding is that the Wii BC is basically 100%... though I suspect you're shit outta luck for LAN / Broadband stuff and the GameBoy Player. GBA connectivity should work fine. There are many reports that the Wii reduces GC loading times.

I mean, it has all the GC hardware minus the expansion ports.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I actually heard that some GC games load a shade faster.

It's also much easier to get the Wii to output in component, since the GC cables are very, very, rare.

Edit: sorta beat'd on loading thing.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I already have component cables for the NGC and a set for the Wii (yes, I'm a freak).

I remembered another reason to keep the XBox...Steel Battalion. That will never make the BC list.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Buy a Dreamcast.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Buy a Dreamcast.

this is never a bad decision.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    The only reason now to not get a 360 to replace your Xbox is if you really like your EA sports games and/or Steel Battalion. They even have Phantom Dust working now, and certain other popular titles got 360 versions (Far Cry Predator)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Buy a Dreamcast.

Im gonna start slipping it into a lot of my G+T posts, subliminal like just so that I buy a dreamcast can get more people to buy the greatest console noone bought.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Buy a Dreamcast.

Im gonna start slipping it into a lot of my G+T posts, subliminal like just so that I buy a dreamcast can get more people to buy the greatest console noone bought.

that is a noble cause.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Make a list of games you want to play then buy the system that plays them

this whole business about buying a console first is kinda silly

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I have to get another Dreamcast? I mean, I guess I could. My 9/9/99 model is currently connected via VGA to the HT projector, but having another one in the living room might be a good idea.

DC == favorite console evar. Well, maybe tied with the Saturn. But I have much love for the DC. As in, probably over a hundred games including imports (Shenmue 2, Rez, etc.), several plastic bins of controllers, VMUs, arcade sticks, 2 sets of official maracas, keyboards, fishing rods, microphone, pass-through VGA box, Bleemcast, etc. etc. etc.

But thanks for the suggestion.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have to get another Dreamcast? I mean, I guess I could. My 9/9/99 model is currently connected via VGA to the HT projector, but having another one in the living room might be a good idea.

DC == favorite console evar. Well, maybe tied with the Saturn. But I have much love for the DC. As in, probably over a hundred games including imports (Shenmue 2, Rez, etc.), several plastic bins of controllers, VMUs, arcade sticks, 2 sets of official maracas, keyboards, fishing rods, microphone, pass-through VGA box, Bleemcast, etc. etc. etc.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Be hardcore, and get a dreamcast that was manufactured in 8/99.

Like mine was.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mine probably was, seeing as how I bought it on launch day. But I'll check, just for you.

Then I'll hunt down one from the Hollywood video rental program they had running in July 99, and get it. Just for bragging purposes.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mine probably was, seeing as how I bought it on launch day. But I'll check, just for you.

Then I'll hunt down one from the Hollywood video rental program they had running in July 99, and get it. Just for bragging purposes.

I have the Hollywood video rental pre-release version of Sonic Adventure.

And the Blockbuster rental pre-release version of Sonic Adventure 2.

/brag

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, but you went to UT.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hey, now I got you bragging for me. How awesome is that?

EDIT: But back to your original question - grab the wii and the 360. Both have served me well.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wii60 is definitely what I have planned...I was just wondering how the old games play on the new systems and whatnot.

But Steel Battalion on the projector is too awesome to give up. So I'll keep the old XBox, if just for that.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wii60 is definitely what I have planned...I was just wondering how the old games play on the new systems and whatnot.

But Steel Battalion on the projector is too awesome to give up. So I'll keep the old XBox, if just for that.

If you're really worried about backwards compatibility, then yeah, keep your xbox. Thats what I did.

However, the Wii will play all GCN games. I kept my GCN because I loved my GBA player, but other than that, it's useless now.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As a proud Steel Battalion owner I can honestly say you should not ever get rid of your Xbox.

The Gamecube, though? That can go right out the window. Assuming you can find a Wii.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    seriously the original xbox is pretty cool to keep

one day if you get the modding bug it's the perfect console

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hrmmm...does the GBA connectivity still work on the Wii? I'd hate to lose PacMan Vs...

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hrmmm...does the GBA connectivity still work on the Wii? I'd hate to lose PacMan Vs...

I've not tried it myself but I beleive so

LewieP on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I kept reading NGC as Neo-Geo (Pocket) Color and wondering why you would trade up from a handheld to the Wii.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wii BC is 100%, except for games that use addons like the broadband adapter or the gameboy player(i.e. anything that doesn't use a controller slot). That's the only flaw that I know of.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh yeah, I can confirm that the GC microphone works on Wii too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Buy a Dreamcast.

I own a dreamcast.
    2 Power cords.
    0 A/V cords.

>.<

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Arrath wrote: »
    Buy a Dreamcast.

I own a dreamcast.
    2 Power cords.
    0 A/V cords.

>.<

You can use a PSX AV cable, IIRC.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Oh hot damn, I'll have to try that. Thanks! Of course, I don't have a psx either, but at least a local gamestop or two still carries stuff for em.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Oh hot damn, I'll have to try that. Thanks! Of course, I don't have a psx either, but at least a local gamestop or two still carries stuff for em.

You might not be able to - I think I used my PSX cable before.

When I got my dreamcast, the av cable was kinda messed up, and a few months later, it stopped working. I eventually bought an s-video cable, but I seem to recall using a PSX cable for a few days. In any case, they shouldn't run you more than a buck or so, so it's worth a shot.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

You might not be able to - I think I used my PSX cable before.

When I got my dreamcast, the av cable was kinda messed up, and a few months later, it stopped working. I eventually bought an s-video cable, but I seem to recall using a PSX cable for a few days. In any case, they shouldn't run you more than a buck or so, so it's worth a shot.

You can also use a PSX cable for the GameCube

you won't get any sound, though.

I found this out after accidentally plugging the PSX jack in on a multi-system cable in the middle of the night.

FyreWulff on