As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yee-haw! My name is [Nintendo]! This is my horse, [Nintendo]! That's right-same name!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Mori alerted me to the fact that Disco Elysium is coming to Switch and I am very excited.

Now all I need is for Ace Attorney 4-6 to be released for Switch, too.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Seriously; just bill them as a second trilogy. It works when you consider how Apollo-Heavy the stories of 5 and 6 are.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    FINALLY

THE SWITCH IS NOW A REAL CONSOLE

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Butler wrote: »
    This game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt8kIBYCs5I

This game was made for me. I've just finished the first section and it's absolutely outstanding. It's like Endless Ocean meets Rendezvous With Rama, with some ominous sprinklings of 2001 and Heart of Darkness (the book, that is, not the terrible terrible game).

Be warned, though, that it is very much a text-based game, not in how you input commands (thank God) but in how you learn about the world you're exploring, so be prepared for a lot of reading. But this isn't a fault IMO, it's an ingenious fusion of the best parts of books and video games.

DAMN Y'ALL I AM SO PUMPED TO CLICK TRIANGLES AND READ ABOUT SPORES

Finished IOW last night. I think I'd give it 8/10 overall. The story and gameplay were flawless - or at least, they were exactly what they were intended to be. I had to knock points off for lack of polish though.

This was the first Switch game I've ever played that actually crashed, not once but three times across 12 hours of gameplay, but thankfully the autosaving meant I never lost any progress because of this. There was also obvious lag - lag!- in quite a few sections, which is inexcusable for a 2D game running on the same hardware that handles Breath of the Wild. Also some grammatical errors and a couple of cases of story beats triggering absurdly late because the developers obviously hadn't anticipated people discovering certain areas and species at the times I did. Worst of all, another glitch appears to have locked me out of the game's epilogue, and I can't find any videos of it on YouTube yet.

With all that said though, I'd still strongly recommend the game even in its current state, and it's about one patch away from being an outright masterpiece. Really hope it gets a sequel or an expansion.

EDIT: I e-mailed the developer and it seems that what I saw was the epilogue, the glitch is that the end can be triggered from anywhere in the base instead of just the room where [REDACTED] is.

Butler on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

This is “Japan: Some Short Films”.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Several of them also feel like "America: As Seen By Japan".

God, there needs to be a new F-Zero. If only so I can play it again after someone stole my copy of GX.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Seriously; just bill them as a second trilogy. It works when you consider how Apollo-Heavy the stories of 5 and 6 are.

Yeah it's really weird how they keep rereleasing the old trilogy on everything including microwaves but won't do shit with the new trilogy

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

God, there needs to be a new F-Zero. If only so I can play it again after someone stole my copy of GX.

That is an inherent part of Japanness in the modern era, yes.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So, there are some pretty neat deals on the e-shop atm, but I realized that for some reason, I want the little cartridges in their tiny boxes? Why is this a thing with me and Nintendo games?!

(I did get the Zelda DLC though, even though I'm not far into the main game at all)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

There's a lot to unpack here but I really like how the Captain Falcon one explicitly has a 20th century Amtrak locomotive.

• Options
    Bastion and Transistor are both dirt cheap right now, I got them both for less than $10 total.

• Options
    Bastion’s a real nice get.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

That is an inherent part of Japanness in the modern era, yes.

It's kind of hard to find the right phrasing for this, but the feeling I get from those endings is... what happens when you give someone wearing multiple game-dev hats a modest budget and a requirements page that says shrug. It feels very "collegiate programmer humor", and most of the characters in F-Zero (of which there are like, 30, which I know from experience is a surprisingly high number of characters to have to create backstories for) exist as a couple of sentences' worth of characterization at best. The endings needed to exist (insofar as someone proposed the feature, it got accepted, and they started work on it) and what resulted was just whatever the animator felt like putting in.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I bet they kept the bugged version because it looks better

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The makers of F-Zero were ahead of their time for shitposting.

• Options
    Finally got around to finishing my Skinny Mario Colossus level in SMM2. Code is Y7N-M25-W0G if anyone's interested.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    The makers of F-Zero were ahead of their time for shitposting.

Entire characters are shitposts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I was reminded so I am once again asking: hey, how the hell have Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD not been put on Switch yet? Or even mentioned?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    turtleant wrote: »
    I was reminded so I am once again asking: hey, how the hell have Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD not been put on Switch yet? Or even mentioned?

because Nintendo is seemingly run by a forgetful committee who will envision making pianos out of cardboard to make money, but will only occasionally do things people actually want.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Porting games from the WiiU architecture to the Switch is probably non-trivial, and there's a number of other up-ports they're probably working on as well. Rumors have it that they're currently working on porting a fuckton of Mario games for the 35th anniversary, for instance.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

If we see the rumored legacy Mario games out this year then you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a similar Zelda celebration in 2021

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    Porting games from the WiiU architecture to the Switch is probably non-trivial, and there's a number of other up-ports they're probably working on as well. Rumors have it that they're currently working on porting a fuckton of Mario games for the 35th anniversary, for instance.

For sure, I just figured they woulda been high up the priority list
    Wyborn wrote: »
    If we see the rumored legacy Mario games out this year then you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a similar Zelda celebration in 2021

Is next year an anniversary of some kind? I've no mind for remembering dates.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Neveron wrote: »

For sure, I just figured they woulda been high up the priority list

Is next year an anniversary of some kind? I've no mind for remembering dates.

35th

• Options
    As this year for Mario, so next year for Zelda
    and Metroid, but we'll see if that turns out to be... anything

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    for zelda's 25th they gave us an entire game and a bitchin' album, so, the bar is high

• Options

Other people are hopefully correct with the anniversary, but

YES! I really don't get it. They've had dry spells with no major first party releases, and those HD versions were made with some effort, and I found it as baffling as not releasing a Mario 3D World port (which is now coming as I understand it). Nintendo knows better than anybody that the Switch install base is way bigger than the WiiU's, so there is a way bigger audience for these great games. It's one of those frustrating "Oh Nintendo" moments. I probably would have bought my Switch a whole year earlier if those titles had been released.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    for zelda's 25th they gave us an entire game and a bitchin' album, so, the bar is high

Huh. You know they didn't make much of Mario's 25th in comparison but Galaxy 2 was a Hell of a celebration game

Makes me wonder about this year, barring corona delays

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I beat Cradle in Goldeneye last night and now I'm trying to do Egypt on 00 despite never playing the level before

its not going well

control had the best elevator music ive ever heard though and its hilarious because its a independent track that only plays when your in the elevators lmao

"James what are you doing goldeneye is set to fire on London!

Sorry Q this track bangs"

https://youtu.be/xaZKNHj1pZI

caverns has it as well lmao

https://youtu.be/p2rwOXLtgkQ

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    As this year for Mario, so next year for Zelda
    and Metroid, but we'll see if that turns out to be... anything
    Fingers crossed for Metroid Pinball 2

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Huh. You know they didn't make much of Mario's 25th in comparison but Galaxy 2 was a Hell of a celebration game

Makes me wonder about this year, barring corona delays

Wasn't Super Mario All-Stars on Wii an anniversary thing?

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Oh and Cradle is like still a top tier level with a banger track

https://youtu.be/GQZLEegUK74

"From the cradle to the grave. Your grave James!
    Always loyal to the mission, never to your friends!
    James Bond! Her Majesty's loyal terrier, you sicken me!
    What's the matter James? No glib remark, no pity comeback
    You'll never win James
    Finish the job James! If you can! I was always better James!
    For England James?"
    "No, for me!"

yeah ima watch Goldeneye again now

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The Cradle track is in all seriousness my fav video game track. My job often involves training exercises when I’ve got to get dressed and into a speedboat in a certain time limit to save a dummy out at sea, and I’ve played that a lot over the years as I’m doing it.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Oh hell yeah, that's cool to finally see. You can even do stuff like swap the left and right control sticks.
    Full notes:
    Added a bookmark feature to News.
    This feature allows you to bookmark your favorite news items.
    • A maximum of 300 news items can be bookmarked.
    • An internet connection is required to view bookmarked News items.
    • News items that are no longer available cannot be viewed, even if they were bookmarked.
    Added an option to transfer software data between the system memory and an SD card.
    • Users can now transfer downloadable software, update data, and DLC from the system memory to an SD card (and vice versa).
    • Note that save data and some update data cannot be transferred to an SD card.
    Added an option to remap the controller buttons.
    • Analog stick and button configurations can now be changed for each paired controller.
    • Custom configurations can be saved as favorites in System Settings > Controllers and Sensors.
    • Custom configurations are stored on the Nintendo Switch system.
    • Configurations can be customized for the following controllers: Joy-Con (L), Joy-Con (R), Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Button configurations can also be customized on the Nintendo Switch Lite system.
    • This feature is not available for other controllers.
    • On each system, up to five favorite custom configurations can be saved for Joy-Con (L), five for Joy-Con (R), five for Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Five configurations can also be saved as favorites for Nintendo Switch Lite.
    Added a new section in User Settings for Play Activity Settings.
    • The options for "Display play activity to:" and "Delete Play Activity" have been moved from Friends Settings to the new Play Activity Settings.
    Added new selections to the lineup of user profile icons.
    • Select from 6 new icons from the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game for your user.
    General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    This mother fucker said downlopadable

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    they should have left it that way imo

• Options
    Zelda BotW update: I have now activated all the towers. I guess I can get going on the main quest now, and recover my memories and whatnot. I'm still at 5 hearts, too...

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    system level button remapping is very good

also i really wish they'd add more avatars faster or let me buy packs or SOMETHING

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Finding out that you get five customization profiles per controller option rather than five profiles altogether is better than I assumed when I first read that description

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Remapping controller buttons is pretty damn sweet. A lot of games these days have internal mapping options, but being able to do it at a system level means you can do that with any game.

This discussion has been closed.