As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yee-haw! My name is [Nintendo]! This is my horse, [Nintendo]! That's right-same name!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Color Splash at least had some good writing and jokes, and it had the realest talk in any Mario game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFBYSr-cPI

...wow. Not going to split hairs, that's a really heavy bit of monologue.

I could seriously see that as a conversation in a Fire Emblem or Tales Of game.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Colour Splash's writing was reportedly as good as any of its predecessors

Makes me wish I had played it

dN0T6ur.png
    edited May 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »

Now on the one hand, I know everyone wants unique-looking characters like in the first two Paper Marios

But this does remind me that the best parts of SMRPG were how Bowser related to the nameless individuals in his legion of followers

As long as they have distinct personalities, like the Bob-omb seemed to, then I'm doubly on board

I'm just a bit worred by Bob-Omb being named Bob-Omb. Like, Bobbery looks amazing, but him having a unique name is also really neat, as it's part of him being a distinct character.

But, Bob-Omb does look to have some personality to him, even if he doesn't get a name.

Also, there was a screenshot on the site of Mario running from some giant Chomp alongside a Magikoopa. I think it'd be neat if there was a Magikoopa partner.

Honestly, I don't need them to have names

Super Mario RPG used less text to give more personality to its unnamed characters than a lot of named characters in TTYD. If we can have clearly defined personalities and stories, like the train scene in Color Splash, then having these characters who at first glance seem to be nothing but become more distinct the longer you spend with them? That would be really nice

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Super Mario RPG had unique character models who were all named. How is that your example?

edited May 2020
    Super Mario RPG had unique character models who were all named. How is that your example?

Holy shit you are reflexively confrontational

I'm referring specifically to Bowser's minions scattered throughout the game, with the strongest example being the small Goomba family, which culminates in Bowser giving his blessing for the Goomba parent to leave his service and focus on their children

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    A fair point. I suppose when I saw Bob-Omb, I immediately compared him to Bobbery.

Which is both not fair at all, (because how do you top Bobbery's design?) and entirely fair (Nintendo came up with Bobbery).

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The speculation I have seen is that the reason the party members appear to be generic Bowser minions is that they WERE faceless peons but are now the last remaining non-Origami'd troops and are suddenly unique and important

Which is a Pretty Good hook, to me

CYpGAPn.png
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    The speculation I have seen is that the reason the party members appear to be generic Bowser minions is that they WERE faceless peons but are now the last remaining non-Origami'd troops and are suddenly unique and important

Which is a Pretty Good hook, to me

if that's the case I'm more cool with it because it would make them special somehow despite not really having a character design visually

if i walk past a small village of 10 bob-ombs with my parner bob-omb, named bob-omb, I might roll my eyes a little

i would strongly prefer them to be visually unique or be established characters like jr, which i like the inclusion of

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I like it when characters have names and distinct features

X22wmuF.jpg
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya making it where 95% of the npcs you interact with aren't just toads is a good start, but I'm hoping that we get plenty of unique spins on the designs of the various Mario world characters. If every toad looks like a generic toad, every goomba and koopa look like their normal design, etc. than that will be a bit disappointing.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Well, we have an archeologist toad, for one.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Super paper mario is fine. Not as good as thousand year door, better than the next 2 sequels that sapped all the character from the series.
    Shit, I momentarily forgot that Super Paper Mario existed. That game was jank as hell and lacked a lot of beloved classical elements, but it was ultimately still bold enough and clever enough to be great. Maybe that is a hittable mark for Origami King...

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    That trailer certainly started out strong, with creepy You Will Be Assimilated origami Peach. I’m intrigued to see where it goes based on that alone.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Color Splash at least had some good writing and jokes, and it had the realest talk in any Mario game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFBYSr-cPI

...wow. Not going to split hairs, that's a really heavy bit of monologue.

I could seriously see that as a conversation in a Fire Emblem or Tales Of game.

Oh jesus there's a followup to that later in the game. :bigfrown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP1sPPY42yM

Now I'm thinking about how Bowser's Chain Chomp weapon in Super Mario RPG was actually a rescue dog that attacked Bowser's enemies because it loved him so much

dN0T6ur.png
    I was happy that one of the chain chomp upgrades was actually just new clothes for that same Chain Chomp

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I wish I didn't come across the hard-lock issue with PAL versions of SPM, as I never got far because of that.

I would prefer the old school combat because I loved their take on it and there's not much I've seen that's similar (Steven Universe: Save the Light was pretty good), but I am down for other interesting twists if they've got meat on the bones.

But if they go down the well of consumable attacks again I'm going to be flabbergasted.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The Hurly Gloves were Bowser's best weapon cause he just chucks Mario at enemies

Mx. Quill on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

I've never heard of Operation Logic Bomb before.

Peewi on
    Some of these youtube videos that are showing up on my main page now must think I watched the new Paper Mario trailer with my eyes closed. Good thing they're there to tell me all 30 or 50 or however many things I missed.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wild guns rules though

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I was going to try and guess Mario's origami companion's origami based name; Foldine? Creasy?
    But it turns out it's Olivia because that also starts with O I guess.

The king is named Oli. Which can also be read “Ori” in Japanese. So Olivia goes with the same origami theme.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh, "Orivia"
    doesn't localize into english at all lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Now on the one hand, I know everyone wants unique-looking characters like in the first two Paper Marios

But this does remind me that the best parts of SMRPG were how Bowser related to the nameless individuals in his legion of followers

As long as they have distinct personalities, like the Bob-omb seemed to, then I'm doubly on board

I'm just a bit worred by Bob-Omb being named Bob-Omb. Like, Bobbery looks amazing, but him having a unique name is also really neat, as it's part of him being a distinct character.

But, Bob-Omb does look to have some personality to him, even if he doesn't get a name.

Also, there was a screenshot on the site of Mario running from some giant Chomp alongside a Magikoopa. I think it'd be neat if there was a Magikoopa partner.

Honestly, I don't need them to have names

Super Mario RPG used less text to give more personality to its unnamed characters than a lot of named characters in TTYD. If we can have clearly defined personalities and stories, like the train scene in Color Splash, then having these characters who at first glance seem to be nothing but become more distinct the longer you spend with them? That would be really nice

Give me sidekicks/NPCs with completely normal names

Freddie the Magikoopa. Ted the Goomba, etc

I’m seriously considering picking up Shovel Knight again on Switch, for a silly reason.

I’m trying a minimum-jumps run of King of Cards (a fun game to do this on, because of the movement options available), and I wish I could take screenshots and videos on my Wii U, like I could on switch, to share interesting parts of the run.

The run fails at being a 0 jump run on the first screen, by the way. Still really fun to find the minimum, though.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Bob the Omb?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Bub, maybe.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Bob-Omb the Bob-Bass

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Bobbobbob-bob Bob-bobbom

liEt3nH.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Also wild idea, Mario gets to name his companions.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    darunia106 wrote: »

Sure, but only if it’s Mario that does it.

Alessandro the Shyguy
    Roberto the Bob-Omb
    Giuseppe the Boo
    Maria the Wiggler...

Edit: I’m certain he doesn’t speak but I’d really enjoy Mario dropping more Italian.

[A simple Toad shop in the first town. Mario trots up to the counter.]
    Mario: Mi scusi!
    Toad: Oh, hi, welcome to your one stop shop for all things mushroom!
    [Mario buys whatever.]
    Toad: Thanks, come again.
    Mario: Ciao!

Not a lot, just little phrases in that silly voice that let you know he’s Italian.

Endless_Serpents on
    darunia106 wrote: »

As with the baby Yoshi in TTYD?

Actually, it would be kinda neat if Bob-Omb here was calling himself "Bob-Omb" because hes the only normal one left, after Oli got to everyone else. As if to say "well, what's the point of a name right now? I'm the Bob-Omb". And then he lets Mario nickname him, because eh.

Huh, this is interesting. A (now-removed) Chinese version of the Origami King trailer showed the archologist Toad (I'm gonna call him "Dus T." until we learn more) with Mario in the battle scene. Not a confirmation of partners in battle, but it's an interesting difference that might mean that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0tWmvbAVe4

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Having seen the Origami King trailer... does the game still have the bad combat mechanics, or... ?

Gundi wrote: »
    Having seen the Origami King trailer... does the game still have the bad combat mechanics, or... ?

Looks like you can just normally use jump and hammer without a consumable item so that's a step forward regardless of how well the positional mechanics work out.

Initial impressions are that it doesn't, but we really don't know for sure.

All they've confirmed about the combat is the ring moving mechanic.

I'm basing that assumption off this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez5EZ1AIVWo

This discussion has been closed.