As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yee-haw! My name is [Nintendo]! This is my horse, [Nintendo]! That's right-same name!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I remember TTYD committing to the Pianta couple "I love you" bit, so there is some precedent.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    TTYD has some real obnoxious backtracking throughout that I think a lot of people don't remember.

Also the frankly absurd difficulty spike right at the end.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah going back and forth until you learn that ghost’s name and tracking down Admiral Bobbery are way worse bits than the hamster wheel.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I seem to recall there being multiple tiers to the buy-your-way-out quest, one of which you might well miss. Something like...
    you start out with the hamster wheel, then you have to buy something from some guy that lets you spin the hamster wheel faster, and eventually you get to the secret stash if you bribe the doorman or something?

But you can skip buying the boost if you're persistent enough.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Y’all talking about how Paper Mario TTYD or Super Paper Mario have bits where you do something for a long time to progress the story, but nobody seems to remember that time that Paper Mario 64 had you spend years making a cake.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9WtWMByFGYU

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Kupi wrote: »
    I seem to recall there being multiple tiers to the buy-your-way-out quest, one of which you might well miss. Something like...
    you start out with the hamster wheel, then you have to buy something from some guy that lets you spin the hamster wheel faster, and eventually you get to the secret stash if you bribe the doorman or something?

But you can skip buying the boost if you're persistent enough.

I just did it last night, here are the actual steps:
    1) Hit the 1-Rubee block 100 times, which takes less than a minute
    2) Buy the password to the hamster wheel room from the informant in the left room on the second floor (need Peach to glide there)
    3) Go to the hamster wheel and get 10,000 Rubees from it, takes about 5 minutes
    4) Buy the password to the vault from the informant in the left door on the 3rd floor
    5) Find Slim in the chest hidden on the left side of the 2nd floor, need to float there with Peach and switch to 3D with Mario
    6) Find the hidden block in the wall on the left side of the 3rd floor, need to go 3D with Mario
    7) Climb to the attic, get past the lasers with Slim, there's the vault containing a million Rubees

I suspect that something would prevent you from just grinding out the million (which would take about 84 hours on the block or 9 hours on the wheel) because that would allow you to skip getting Slim. Either that or he just shows up when you go pay it out.

Ah fuck I forgot you do have to squeeze past some bars to finish the level. That would be the part where you're forced to get Slim before you get out. So I guess nevermind it's probably technically possible to do it the long way.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Also, after you finish that chapter and go back to town, one of the rando NPCs will tell you something like "My life is so boring, I wish I could go on an adventure... I feel like... accidentally incurring a massive debt I'd have to work off. Haha! Just kidding! Who would want that?"

Paper Marios were so good.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Y’all talking about how Paper Mario TTYD or Super Paper Mario have bits where you do something for a long time to progress the story, but nobody seems to remember that time that Paper Mario 64 had you spend years making a cake.

[snip good Stryder7x video]

You joke, but PM64 also had some pretty tedious sections. Flower Fields is the infamous one for all the backtracking it makes you do, but it's also got small annoyances like that long boring trip up and down star hill.

I would definitely argue that it's less tedious than some of the stuff TTYD makes you do, though, like the Pianta romance, the entire middle of the Glitz Pit, and the repeated backtracking in Twilight Town. And Boggly Woods isn't all that great, IMHO.

Personally I prefer 64 to TTYD for these reasons, but it's subjective. Thousand Year Door probably has the better partners and a stronger overall story, but Paper Mario's still good in both categories.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    TTYD may be my favorite game that I could only theoretically replay once every five or ten years

Even on my initial playthrough I was getting very impatient with the back-and-forth to get Bobbery

I suspect the pacing in the game may overall be bad, but it's been a long time and I have no easy way to test that now

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    i don't remember the bobbery part very well, but it's probably also been about 5 years since i replayed it

the only part of the game i remember strongly disliking was boggly woods, but i think i had a high tolerance for the a-little-overdone bits the series likes to do

i should replay it, maybe streaming it would be fun

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The only part of TTYD that I'm not a huge fan of is Boggly Woods, but that's mostly because the punis can be kind of a pain to herd around sometimes.

For the other parts, sure there's a good bit of backtracking, but I didn't really mind it too much cause the settings were so well done.

Like sure you do a lot of back and forth in twilight town, but the whole place nails that creepy horror movie atmosphere and between the clock chimes turning people into pigs and the whole identity theft thing I was pretty interested in continuing the story. I never felt like the game was really losing me.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    After playing some PM64, I will say that TTYD really could’ve done with keeping Mario’s spin-dash. Makes traveling way quicker.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The only part of TTYD that I'm not a huge fan of is Boggly Woods, but that's mostly because the punis can be kind of a pain to herd around sometimes.

For the other parts, sure there's a good bit of backtracking, but I didn't really mind it too much cause the settings were so well done.

Like sure you do a lot of back and forth in twilight town, but the whole place nails that creepy horror movie atmosphere and between the clock chimes turning people into pigs and the whole identity theft thing I was pretty interested in continuing the story. I never felt like the game was really losing me.

i definitely remember them getting stuck on terrain a lot and causing issues

so my frustration with the woods was mostly the gimmick just not working sometimes

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    After playing some PM64, I will say that TTYD really could’ve done with keeping Mario’s spin-dash. Makes traveling way quicker.

Is spin dashing quicker than riding Yoshi in TTYD? Or is it a convenient way to get past certain obstacles? I ask because I only briefly rented PM64 (and honestly didn't like it much. TTYD was a million times better in my eyes.)

• Options
    edited May 2020
    It can be really fast, yeah. Particularly if you have the Speedy Spin badge equipped. It has an animation at the end where he slows down to exit the spin, but you can cancel that with a jump and just do the spin again. It can be nice to outrun enemies you don’t want to fight, too.

Yoshi is good in TTYD, of course.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I don't remember, is Lakilester in PM64 faster than walking?

One thing that's a real shame with PM64 is that the partners just don't get all that much characterization and interaction. There's a couple standouts (Lady Bow is fantastic), but then you've also got Sushie and Lakilester who just... show up, IIRC. Lakilester's really late in the game, too, so even if they wanted to give him more characterization there just isn't time for it. TTYD tying them into the story more was a great improvement - especially Vivian!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, that’s something I’m noticing a lot in 64; the partners don’t really chime in during conversations the way that TTYD partners do. You’ll get them chiming in if you talk to characters they know (like having Kooper with you when you meet Kolorado), but they’re a lot quieter in 64, Tattle aside.

Again, this is all to be expected; TTYD brought a lot of updates to what the previous game had. Doesn’t make the game bad, just noticeably different from the sequel.

Enlong on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J8-4FYRKlU

Apparently a chunk of these techniques were only discovered in 2019

I like videos like this one because there are some players who treat Breath of the Wild like a character action game, using the intersection of its physics, combat systems, and chemistry to express themselves in ways that are often thrilling:

https://youtu.be/3czQi85E2Uw

If you'd told me ten years ago that we'd be getting cool-looking combo videos out of a Zelda game I don't think I would have known how to respond

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    BotW has such an amazing engine in terms of allowing emergent interactions and such.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    It takes some digging to learn these techniques. This is literally the only video I could find about the "jump into the bomb explosion and then backflip to get focus" move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QGFFqJVbvI

Based on other videos, it's also possible to do this when getting hit by enemies? Like you jump into the blow and then backflip. It might only be possible against two-handed weapons, but it's probably a better way to save your shield while still styling

This game has a lot

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    (Paper Mario)

Oh wow. I just got Bow, and she’s awesome. Enemies with any Defense are a hard counter to her, but when they don’t have defense, her basic attack can do 5 damage after upgrading her. That’s more than anyone in the party can do without spending FP.

• Options
    I kind of miss how low the numbers were in the first few Paper Mario games.

I feel like the smaller numbers made the battles feel more strategic. If the boss has 30 health I can do real quick math in my head to figure out just what attacks I need to do and how many I need to reach that 30.

At least the new game seems to have actual damage numbers in battle again, even if they are way higher than the older games. No more having to ballpark how much health an enemy had and guessing what/how many attacks I needed to beat them like in Color Splash. God that was annoying.

• Options
    Yeah, Paper Mario is really neat with how it does damage values.

Like, I’ll see a move do 8 Damage and I’m blown away. Or I get an upgrade that increases damage by 1, and it’s one of the strongest things in the game. Keeping the overall values low kinda makes every point matter way more.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Nintendo got so close to predicting Nintendo Youtubers but they went strangely deep on the bet that they’d be obsessed with high definition photography of butterflies.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Nintendo got so close to predicting Nintendo Youtubers but they went strangely deep on the bet that they’d be obsessed with high definition photography of butterflies.

huh?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

huh?

The Chameleon Nerd in Super Paper Mario.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Searching nintendo eshop... water water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

• Options
    Speaking of committing too hard to bits:
    djcgp1zmk5mp.jpeg
    dub46wq7g7ks.jpeg
    z8i1ue1baxd5.jpeg

...after making me type in please 5 times and rejecting two alternate spellings

sig.gif
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Picked up Okami HD for $15 the other day. The "Current Deals" filter in the Switch shop continues to deliver.

... So who was borrowing whose ideas between this and Twilight Princess? Because TP only came out seven months later, so there must have been overlapping development, but there are a LOT of similarities.

• Options
    There’s also a part of it that makes me think Wind Waker was an influence on it.

• Options
    Speaking of committing too hard to bits:
    djcgp1zmk5mp.jpeg
    dub46wq7g7ks.jpeg
    z8i1ue1baxd5.jpeg

...after making me type in please 5 times and rejecting two alternate spellings

Super Paper Mario is a pretty fun game, but there's definitely a few times where someone should have put a hand on their shoulder and told them "stop". That entire world is pretty bad, though, not gonna lie.

• Options
    Somebody at Intelligent Systems saw Cape Feare between 2004 and 2007 and went THIS, THIS IS OUR THING NOW.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    So for some reason I thought Xenoblade Chronicles was coming out today so I went on the eshop to buy it.

Turns out it doesn't come out till Friday (which makes more sense tbh), but I did see this game in the upcoming releases section that is out tomorrow.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bug-fables-the-everlasting-sapling-switch/

This game came out on PC last year apparently and from what I can tell the developers sat down and went "If Nintendo doesn't want to make a Paper Mario game in the vein of the first two than fuck it we'll make our own."

Figured I'd put it here since we've had a ton of Paper Mario talk recently.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Okay yeah I'm interested

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    bug fables is cool

it shows its budget in some ways, but if you want a paper mario it's a paper mario

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    It's a good week for Switch games. Xenoblade Chronicles 1, the 2K collections, and Minecraft Dungeons are all on my wishlist.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    bug fables is cool

it shows its budget in some ways, but if you want a paper mario it's a paper mario

I do want a Paper Mario. So this is good news.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on when Doom Eternal is coming out for Switch?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    It's a good week for Switch games. Xenoblade Chronicles 1, the 2K collections, and Minecraft Dungeons are all on my wishlist.

I'm going to stick with the Xbox for Minecraft Dungeons since it's free with Ultimate, but I'm really curious about how the 2k stuff ends up running. It feels like there must be a strict embargo on them though, I'd expect by now to at least have some impressions on performance. I'd rebuy Borderlands to have it portable.

This discussion has been closed.