As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yee-haw! My name is [Nintendo]! This is my horse, [Nintendo]! That's right-same name!

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I'm very tempted to buy it but I really don't have a lot of time to spend on grindy multiplayer games anymore.

I am very interested in the Bioshock collection, but am waiting to see how well it runs in handheld mode.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I played most of the Borderlands games singleplayer, so that does not apply to me! Ha!

• Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    I'm a little ways into Bug Fables and it's very cute and pushing all the right shameless spiritual successor buttons for me. I've thought "they did it, they did the thing!" on so many little details so far.

I don't trust Arlo anymore on YouTube but I did watch his video on this one and it looks great. There are just too many things that want my money this week!

I just got through the first chapter, so like an hour and a half in, and it's hitting all the right nostalgia and regular good game buttons for me. Strong recommend.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit wary of Bug Fables because the publisher, Dangen Entertainment, has a history of royally screwing over their developers.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    SPM 6-1 faked putting me through a comically long gauntlet AGAIN

That was like, a pillar of that game I guess

At least it seems like shit is going down, story-wise

hey, you know how Thousand Year Door has that hundred-floor endurance challenge

continuing Super Paper Mario's tradition of comically long gauntlets...
    they have two hundred-floor gauntlets

and you need to do the second one twice

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Well

have to say I didn't expect this game to go "Mario fails to save a world, everyone there dies, then one of the bad guys murders all the heroes and they end up in hell".

I LOVE this game's insistence on referring to death exclusively as Game Over, though.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I've been replaying a bunch of my 3/DS games lately out of, I dunno, some kind of atavistic impulse to return to an era where the world wasn't like it is, but in any event, I recently started back into Kid Icarus Uprising and immediately remembered why I've played 150 hours of this 15-hour game. The core gameplay is so elegantly designed, the line readings are terrific and the plot overall has this gallumphing Saturday morning cartoon feeling, there are just so many different enemies and weapons that the combinations are endless even before you get into the fact that the game is technically a looter-shooter and you could spend forever trying to roll or fuse the perfect weapon.

But I am not here just to gush about the game. I am here to share my surprise that the online mode apparently still has regular players. Like most of the games Sakurai's directed lately, KI:U has a challenge board that asks you to do various things for prizes. Several of them involve the the online mode. So I figured, what the hell, let's see if there's anything still out there. And as soon as I clicked "Light vs. Dark", I had a game ready in two minutes (one minute of which was just me screwing around in the pre-game making sure I had the right weapon set). Not bad for a game that's over eight years old by now.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Super Paper Mario implied an entire fucking judeo-christian mythology exists within the Mario universe a few months before Galaxy introduced Rosalina and I’m reeling

You literally rescue Peach from eating the forbidden fruit of knowledge of Eden

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Super Paper Mario implied an entire fucking judeo-christian mythology exists within the Mario universe a few months before Galaxy introduced Rosalina and I’m reeling

I want to play this game

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

You say rescue but I read that as Mario prevents Peach from learning the truth of the world and thus gaining the power to overcome the shackles now revealed upon it. He urges her to stare at the shadows in the cave without ever turning around.

This is why Luigi is the actual hero.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

I don't need feel the need to add modifiers to the statement: "Super Paper Mario has the best plot and writing of any of the Paper Mario games."

Speaking of which I've been playing Bug Fables,, the Paper Mario inspired insect RPG on Switch and I'm liking it a lot. It even has a hard mode, which is... pretty hard!

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

Judeo-Christian but also, at the same time, rather Greek! There's a Cerberus Chain Chomp and everything.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Underwhere is more Hades than Hell.

• Options
    Yeah you also have to pay Charon to cross the river Styx, but he takes 4 coins per crossing, not 2

Of course you can also just jump right in and swim across

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ok I can't take it anymore, I'm starting a no commentary playthrough of SPM when I get home.

(This isn't a demand to stop talking about it I just have to see this game properly at long last).

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Crossposting this from G&T:
    Don't know if anyone else really cares, but I picked up two of the spaceships for Starlink, Neptune and Pulse, for $1 each at Dollar Tree up here in Maine. Given I only paid $10 for the starter pack at Best Buy around Christmas, I feel like I've gotten a fair amount out of my investment. I've seen that some folks are finding more ships at their stores, so I'll probably go back out later this week and see if they got any more in. The Neptune ship is really quite impressive - bulky and well detailed.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I think I'm about halfway through Okami now. It's been a frustrating experience in more ways than one, because there is so much there that's brilliant and just a few things that almost ruin it. The biggest sticking point for me is that it's ridiculously sexist. Not even in a product-of-its-time way, this thing is off the chain. Issun, who's basically the Navi/companion fairy stand-in, is a total fucking perv who never shuts up about how hot various women are, and most of the (young) female characters have ludicrous Dead or Alive breast physics and no real agency.

It's super dissonant with the rest of the gameplay, which is otherwise colourful and engaging and even child-friendly. There's no blood or gore, you mostly fight demonic phantoms, and you level up not through combat but by helping people and healing the land.

Sad to say I don't think it deserves its reputation as one of the greatest games of all time. Call me a prude, but when I'm romping around feeding bunnies and finding treasure and making cherry trees bloom and then my companion screams out WOW CHECK OUT THE GAZUNGAS ON THAT BROAD it kind of kills the magic.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I wish I had never revisited Okami via the HD edition on Steam. Nothing about it other than the visual design holds up from my memories of it. It was just a gigantic disappointment in almost every respect.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I mean did you check out the gazungas though

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Was not expecting the Paper Bug game to feature discrimination allegory... But like there's a recurring story thread about how a few lady bugs stole some food from the Ant Kingdom so the asshole Ant Queen decided to banish all ladybugs to the outskirts of the Ant Kingdom and now all ladybugs need special work or travel permits to do... anything. And like it's ironically (or maybe on purpose) driven a bunch of ladybugs into crime both because they now have no options and also have grudge against the ants. Or how the Bee Kingdom has a rigid caste system that many bees are not happy with. Or how there's mad beef between the Wasps and the Ants. (Because of buttface ant queen I'm sure.) Or how all the roaches mysteriously vanished not long after the current monarch took power. The writing is pretty good, for the most part. Each of the three protagonists has a very distinct personality and background and they compliment each other well.

Vi: A curious headstrong young bee who left the hive because she wanted to see the world. Selfish, greedy, extremely independent, and easily excitable. Can be kind of an ass but has a softspot for outsiders and loners. Generally does not like other bees and people with authority. Is not brave, but does not think ahead far enough to prevent her from doing daring feats.
    Kabbu: A beetle who recently arrived in the ant kingdom from far away for reasons unknown. Earnest, charitable, brave, overly honest and trusting... basically an all around good bug. Except for the fact that he seems to have some serious self worth issues and has some sort of mysterious backstory behind why he even left his home in the first place, which he refuses to even slightly acknowledge whenever someone brings up what his past might have been like. Easily embarrassed and also easily sucked into other people's enthusiasm.
    Leif: A moth that the other two find trapped and sleeping in a cave while looking for treasure. Weird stuff has happened to him, the most obvious weird thing being him developing ice powers. He wants to figure out what happened to him since he fell unconscious in that cave. He's acerbic, overly formal, and suspicious of others. That being said he errs closer to Kabbu's generous nature than Vi's selfishness. Likes cute animals and is a foodie. Is also the most self-aware of the group, and likes to trade barbs with Vi.

Also its battle system is way better than any of the paper mario games. And the enemies are better designed. (I mean not aesthetically, but mechanically.)

Gundi on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

The game gave me little choice! There was a cutscene where a nice lady was explaining how to deal with a haunted shipwreck and your character's eyes are practically jammed into her cleavage!

The ironic thing is, for how backwards the game's sexual politics are otherwise, Amaterasu is... well, you don't have to look very hard to see her as queer-coded. She's a female god in the body of a male wolf, and given the above cutscene she appears to be at least somewhat into women. And (so far) the game never makes a big deal of this or plays it for laughs, though it's safe to say this is probably just an example of ignorance cutting both ways.

Butler on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Butler wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

The game gave me little choice! There was a cutscene where a nice lady was explaining how to deal with a haunted shipwreck and your character's eyes are practically jammed into her cleavage!

The ironic thing is, for how backwards the game's sexual politics are otherwise, Amaterasu is... well, you don't have to look very hard to see her as queer-coded. She's a female god in the body of a male wolf, and given the above cutscene she appears to be at least somewhat into women. And (so far) the game never makes a big deal of this or plays it for laughs, though it's safe to say this is probably just an example of ignorance cutting both ways.

Well, this IS Amaterasu, the goddess who once was brought out of a funk by the goddess of dawn doing a striptease at her. "Amaterasu as a thirsty bisexual" is a take as storied as "Zeus as a manwhore".

Basically what I'm saying is that if you want to headcanon the boob focus as Ammy ogling the hot ladies to make it less annoying, honestly, you have a thousand of years of tradition backing you up.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Also I dont think Amy is meant to be read as in a male wolf body, I think they just wanted to make the funny pee attack.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I sort of remember it mostly just being Sakuya (the tree spirit you meet from the start of the game) and Priestess Rao (the aforementioned lady from the Ryoshima arc) who get the whole “HEY LOOK AT THE BOOBS” thing from the camera work and costume design.

Which is not to say that those examples aren’t eye-rolling, or that Issun doesn’t need to shut up.

I would argue the thing about agency, but it sort of involves spoilers, and ends up not being a total rebuttal anyway. It is a story where basically everyone needs help from the local god at some point, though.

Enlong on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Okami's soundtrack still owns bones though.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Did Nintendo ever give a reason why the Switch's SNES/NES channels don't match the library of the Virtual Console? Or why there's no N64 channel?

I know, complaining about Nintendo's online stuff is not particularly original, but this feels like one step forward and two steps back, to quote one of the greatest minds of our generation, MC Skatkat

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Did Nintendo ever give a reason why the Switch's SNES/NES channels don't match the library of the Virtual Console? Or why there's no N64 channel?

I know, complaining about Nintendo's online stuff is not particularly original, but this feels like one step forward and two steps back, to quote one of the greatest minds of our generation, MC Skatkat

The number of Nintendo-owned NES and SNES games that aren't on the service has gotten pretty thin; the most major ones left are the DKC games and the Mother games, and then after that it's a bunch of much smaller titles more like the ones we've gotten in the past few updates. Some of the remaining games, like Super Mario RPG and DKC, are postulated to have licensing issues based on elements that belong to third parties

They haven't made a statement about why third-party titles that were on the VC aren't on the current services, but based on the number of third-party classic collections that are being sold on the eShop, it seems reasonable to assume that third parties are not willing to license out their games to be played for "free" at whatever rate Nintendo would be willing to pay.

There hasn't been any information about a potential N64 channel, either. We can only speculate as to what's keeping those games from coming in a timely manner, because it seems like they should be here eventually—though even that isn't guaranteed

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I would probably re-buy Tactics Ogre and Mario RPG no questions asked. I hadn't considered the licensing issues with the monthly fee thing, and they probably don't want to have both VC and their channels? Hmm

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

Nintendo doesn't want you to play their old games except in the extremely controlled arbitrary ways they decide you can.

sig.gif
  • Options

Nintendo doesn't want you to play their old games except in the extremely controlled arbitrary ways they decide you can.

Who at Nintendo HQ do I have to grab by the shoulders and shake to make them realize how much more money they could be making if they made better decisions

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Who at Nintendo HQ do I have to grab by the shoulders and shake to make them realize how much more money they could be making if they made better decisions

It is impossible because their current decisions are extremely lucrative. Smash sold a bajillion copies and still has frankly unprofessional netcode compared to what's possible.

• Options
    edited June 2020

It is impossible because their current decisions are extremely lucrative. Smash sold a bajillion copies and still has frankly unprofessional netcode compared to what's possible.

The concept of "enough money" does not exist, especially to corporations!

Seriously though, I can't believe that there are *less* legal ways to enjoy some old games today than there were a decade ago.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Nintendo is 100% committed to the Disney Vault model. They think if they don't put GameCube games out available for anything, then those games aren't taking attention away from their newer games, and then they can release Path of Radiance or TTYD HD on its own in 2 years and charge 50 dollars for it.

And I mean, they're right. They keep getting away with it and it's working.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    maybe i'm wrong but all the stuff around sticker star and color splash has me convinced that miyamoto has a chip on his shoulder about thousand year door and it's not getting re-released until he retires

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

The number of Nintendo-owned NES and SNES games that aren't on the service has gotten pretty thin; the most major ones left are the DKC games and the Mother games, and then after that it's a bunch of much smaller titles more like the ones we've gotten in the past few updates. Some of the remaining games, like Super Mario RPG and DKC, are postulated to have licensing issues based on elements that belong to third parties

They haven't made a statement about why third-party titles that were on the VC aren't on the current services, but based on the number of third-party classic collections that are being sold on the eShop, it seems reasonable to assume that third parties are not willing to license out their games to be played for "free" at whatever rate Nintendo would be willing to pay.

There hasn't been any information about a potential N64 channel, either. We can only speculate as to what's keeping those games from coming in a timely manner, because it seems like they should be here eventually—though even that isn't guaranteed

Yeah, Nintendo had a big virtual console before companies realized they could just sell their games themselves. But that horse is out of the stable already. Now nobody is ever going to want to let Nintendo just put them up for peanuts - why would they, when they can sell you Final Fantasy IV themselves for 15 bucks?

So far as I can tell, the only weird omission is the N64 games. The SNES and NES catalogues have pretty much everything they can realistically have.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Yeah, Nintendo had a big virtual console before companies realized they could just sell their games themselves. But that horse is out of the stable already. Now nobody is ever going to want to let Nintendo just put them up for peanuts - why would they, when they can sell you Final Fantasy IV themselves for 15 bucks?

So far as I can tell, the only weird omission is the N64 games. The SNES and NES catalogues have pretty much everything they can realistically have.

The NES and SNES Classics both have better libraries than the current Switch offerings. Switch has River City Ransom, Crystalis, the Breaths of Fire and Demon's Crest, but besides that I'll take the Classics' exclusives over the Switch's anyday.

sig.gif
  • Options

The NES and SNES Classics both have better libraries than the current Switch offerings. Switch has River City Ransom, Crystalis, the Breaths of Fire and Demon's Crest, but besides that I'll take the Classics' exclusives over the Switch's anyday.

Licensing for the mini consoles was probably a lot simpler than licensing for NSO would be

I wonder if part of it is down to Nintendo not wanting to remove games from the service, where possible—though, again, I think the biggest part is probably down to third parties not being down for whatever deal Nintendo was peddling

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    maybe i'm wrong but all the stuff around sticker star and color splash has me convinced that miyamoto has a chip on his shoulder about thousand year door and it's not getting re-released until he retires

This is a really popular theory but I don't think it's actually based in anything concrete. Miyamoto hasn't actually flexed his authority on projects being run by the second or third generation of directors in years and years, that we've heard about (and we've still heard about a lot in games as recent as Breath of the Wild)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Licensing for the mini consoles was probably a lot simpler than licensing for NSO would be

I wonder if part of it is down to Nintendo not wanting to remove games from the service, where possible—though, again, I think the biggest part is probably down to third parties not being down for whatever deal Nintendo was peddling

Games HAVE been taken off the Virtual Consoles, though. Even before the Wii's VC was shut down, you couldn't get Ys I & II for it anymore, for example.

(that particular case probably had a lot to do with XSEED getting licensing rights to publish Falcom games in the west)

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.