Options

[Webcomics] Marys and Wilburs and Cagle Cats, oh my!

12467100

Posts

  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    notya wrote: »
    RE: Outsider

    I'm going to be so so so pissed if the space elves turn out to be evil. I like them.

    There aren't going to be good guys in a giant galactic war that press gangs species into joining.

    Yeah, remember that "neutrality" is not a thing in this conflict. Genocide is the explicit punishment from both sides for not flying under the correct banner.

    Not so much punishment as much as ... Denying the enemy dedicated to your extinction assets to aid in that extinction.

    But, taking ww2 allies for example, just because they're the "good guys" doesn't stop your friends from being sent to invade dieppe.

  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It's expected that the sexy space elves whose eyes are perpetually in a bedroom smoulder will engage in a romantic something with our male lead. It's also expected that things are not as they seem don't judge books by their covers there's something sinister about their government/culture!

    The sexytimes haven't started, so who knows how concepts like good or evil will play out.

    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The space elves have explicitly been stated to have genocided multiple species. The other side "just" invades your planets and punts you off them.

    Neither side is very good but one lets the species try and make it elsewhere, like the ones that initially made contact with humanity.

  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Speaking about Outsider,

    I really like Outsider!

    But it's been going on and off since 2003

    And even at a regular update pace we're dealing with a page per week

    It'll be 2040 before it starts wrapping up

    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Speaking about Outsider,

    I really like Outsider!

    But it's been going on and off since 2003

    And even at a regular update pace we're dealing with a page per week

    It'll be 2040 before it starts wrapping up

    I intend to live that long.

    I read Berserk you know.

  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    zik5t4zv5btu.png
    Questionable Content

    Yeah, that sounds more like a patreon side-business.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    Speaking about Outsider,

    I really like Outsider!

    But it's been going on and off since 2003

    And even at a regular update pace we're dealing with a page per week

    It'll be 2040 before it starts wrapping up

    I intend to live that long.

    I read Berserk you know.

    that's fine but is the creator of Outsider going to live that long

    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    there was a very long hiatus in the middle of that I'm pretty sure, it wasn't regularly updating 1 page a week until about a year or two ago

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    3qv9wb622chx.png
    Dumbing of Age

    Oh, I'm totally using that for my kids actual middle name.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    3qv9wb622chx.png
    Dumbing of Age

    Oh, I'm totally using that for my kids actual middle name.

    tenor.gif?itemid=11888006

    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider093.html

    Where our dear ambassador defends his reasoning concerning the two forces

  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider093.html

    Where our dear ambassador defends his reasoning concerning the two forces

    "Slavery is a reversible condition, but annihilation is permanent."
    I've never understood the split of that argument. The Umiak will enslave you if you join them and win, and the Loroi will wipe you out if you join the Umiak and lose. If you join the Loroi and win, they won't wipe you out and won't enslave you (except as love slaves, obviously), and the Umiak may wipe you out or enslave you if you lose.
    Joining the Umiak sounds like the theoretical worst outcome either way.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider093.html

    Where our dear ambassador defends his reasoning concerning the two forces

    "Slavery is a reversible condition, but annihilation is permanent."
    I've never understood the split of that argument. The Umiak will enslave you if you join them and win, and the Loroi will wipe you out if you join the Umiak and lose. If you join the Loroi and win, they won't wipe you out and won't enslave you (except as love slaves, obviously), and the Umiak may wipe you out or enslave you if you lose.
    Joining the Umiak sounds like the theoretical worst outcome either way.

    To be honest, it kind of seems like the Loroi will want to get rid of humanity anyhow for religious/psychic reasons.

    ...But then again the story's already set up a situation where unbeknownst to Enzin the rest of humanity manages to get in contact with the Umiak and join them, so things are probably just going to get really complicated in general. You don't just set up a situation where you send one diplomat ship to each side and then just ignore the second ship.

  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider093.html

    Where our dear ambassador defends his reasoning concerning the two forces

    "Slavery is a reversible condition, but annihilation is permanent."
    I've never understood the split of that argument. The Umiak will enslave you if you join them and win, and the Loroi will wipe you out if you join the Umiak and lose. If you join the Loroi and win, they won't wipe you out and won't enslave you (except as love slaves, obviously), and the Umiak may wipe you out or enslave you if you lose.
    Joining the Umiak sounds like the theoretical worst outcome either way.

    To be honest, it kind of seems like the Loroi will want to get rid of humanity anyhow for religious/psychic reasons.

    ...But then again the story's already set up a situation where unbeknownst to Enzin the rest of humanity manages to get in contact with the Umiak and join them, so things are probably just going to get really complicated in general. You don't just set up a situation where you send one diplomat ship to each side and then just ignore the second ship.

    At the end of the day though, considering the scale of the conflict, Earth isn't going to matter either way. IIRC it was implied that the number of ships the Loroi and the Umiak were throwing at each other in the border skirmishes of their war dwarfed the entire Earth fleet by several orders of magnitude and were considered acceptable losses.

  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    But Earth could be a vital supply of attactive males and soylet green.

    Ya know, keep the Loroi morale up.

    Karoz on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider093.html

    Where our dear ambassador defends his reasoning concerning the two forces

    "Slavery is a reversible condition, but annihilation is permanent."
    I've never understood the split of that argument. The Umiak will enslave you if you join them and win, and the Loroi will wipe you out if you join the Umiak and lose. If you join the Loroi and win, they won't wipe you out and won't enslave you (except as love slaves, obviously), and the Umiak may wipe you out or enslave you if you lose.
    Joining the Umiak sounds like the theoretical worst outcome either way.

    To be honest, it kind of seems like the Loroi will want to get rid of humanity anyhow for religious/psychic reasons.

    ...But then again the story's already set up a situation where unbeknownst to Enzin the rest of humanity manages to get in contact with the Umiak and join them, so things are probably just going to get really complicated in general. You don't just set up a situation where you send one diplomat ship to each side and then just ignore the second ship.

    At the end of the day though, considering the scale of the conflict, Earth isn't going to matter either way. IIRC it was implied that the number of ships the Loroi and the Umiak were throwing at each other in the border skirmishes of their war dwarfed the entire Earth fleet by several orders of magnitude and were considered acceptable losses.

    I think Earth might still matter in some ways - humanity looking like the Loroi seems like it might be causing some kind of religious schism, and humans being immune to the Loroi's psychic powers seems like it might be a big deal.

    As a military power they're insignificant, but I suspect the political ramifications are going to be significant. And probably not in a way that's good for humanity.

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Time to start doing some of those Humanity Fuck Yeah moves. Like slinging asteroids at ships

  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    what comic is that so I can never read it again?

  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    what comic is that so I can never read it again?

    9 Chickweed Lane. I used to read it angrily a few years back, but cut off all contact when the author implied he was having a god-like character turn a beloved character's child in-utero into a cockroach.

    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    5xg38en6ygrd.jpg
    Atomic Robo

    Okay, I like this Alan.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    but cut off all contact when the author implied he was having a god-like character turn a beloved character's child in-utero into a cockroach.

    What.

    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    is that a syndicated comic, does that actually run in newspapers

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    I know it was running in the Boston Globe for a while. No idea if anyone still carries it.

    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    is that a syndicated comic, does that actually run in newspapers

    Yes and yes.

    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    For sale: letters to child, never read.

    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    but cut off all contact when the author implied he was having a god-like character turn a beloved character's child in-utero into a cockroach.

    What.

    This right here is the last comic I read, back when I was regularly hate-reading 9 Chickweed Lane. Diane, the character being talked about in the background, was one of the few actually likable characters in the comic. I was so pissed I even wrote an email to Brooke McEldowney telling him off.

    f3dgi0w2jd5g.png

    I'm sure he didn't actually do it, because yes this is a newspaper syndicated comic, but the suggestion was so gross and hateful towards his own character that he cured me of ever wanting to read it again.

    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    what the fuck

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Remember how Scott Kurtz, who is a pretty good writer, couldn't get a syndicated newspaper comic? Yet that shit is published?

  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think there was also a recent comic written to a future child telling them that their mum has the sexiest legs in the world and that theyll get a really good look at them when theyre being born.

This discussion has been closed.