Options

[Webcomics] Marys and Wilburs and Cagle Cats, oh my!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    statler wrote: »

She's going to boink her boss, isn't she

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I expected that to happen already frankly

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So I went and looked at the Chickweed Lane strips after that, out of morbid curiosity.
    First, a little more context: it seems that Monty wants to gradually replace humanity with cockroaches because we're made in His image, and yet we embarrass Him by how we behave.
    And it seems that the cast talked ambiguously-God out of it by... skinny dipping. (And the actually good character, above, talking earnestly and respectfully with Him.)
    Then, after a whole bunch of filler interjections (Sunday comics, etc) of men being distracted by random snoggings from assorted hot wimmen, it eventually moved on to another alleged plot (it's very silly, I shan't describe it) and I punched out.

Two thoughts:
    One, going by some interpretations of the OT, the Creator being vain and insecure as fuck, and expecting adoration from His creations while treating them like... well, like this, is actually rather on brand. :/
    Two, I've given Chris Claremont shit for years for putting his fetishes into his run of X-Men whenever he could, but he's got nothing on Brooke McEldowney.
    This is a syndicated newspaper comic that's like 90% snogging and legs, 9% "jokes", and 1% "plot." For all that it's relatively softcore, I think it might compare with or even outdo the likes of Alfie or Oglaf.

Ok I couldn't help but go back myself to read more of the story, having no longer any strong feelings about any of the characters made it much easier. And yeah, dude interrupts the throughline of the story multiple times for sexual interest, but it's all "hush-hush, say no more." style sexuality. It reminds me very much of a very old SNL sketch with Jon Lovitz called "Randy Theater" or similar, where Lovitz is narrating an oh-so-sexual interaction between an 18th century lady and her footman, with all sorts of hints and teases as to what they might be up to. Eventually the footman says the equivalent of "let's fuck" and the lady agrees, only to have the randy host get very upset and angry that the implicit has been made explicit.

So yeah, 9 Chickweed Lane is a sex comic without the sex. 10 years ago I was too prudish to read sex comics outright, so this would have been right up my alley (and I probably would have said this had nothing to do with sex, ha ha. I am the outraged bawdy theater narrator).

Aside from the sex, there's really no there there. It's just not anything. I imagine Monty was intended to be some sort of witty take on a god-figure, but he's just so boring.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So I went and looked at the Chickweed Lane strips after that, out of morbid curiosity.
    First, a little more context: it seems that Monty wants to gradually replace humanity with cockroaches because we're made in His image, and yet we embarrass Him by how we behave.
    And it seems that the cast talked ambiguously-God out of it by... skinny dipping. (And the actually good character, above, talking earnestly and respectfully with Him.)
    Then, after a whole bunch of filler interjections (Sunday comics, etc) of men being distracted by random snoggings from assorted hot wimmen, it eventually moved on to another alleged plot (it's very silly, I shan't describe it) and I punched out.

Two thoughts:
    One, going by some interpretations of the OT, the Creator being vain and insecure as fuck, and expecting adoration from His creations while treating them like... well, like this, is actually rather on brand. :/
    Two, I've given Chris Claremont shit for years for putting his fetishes into his run of X-Men whenever he could, but he's got nothing on Brooke McEldowney.
    This is a syndicated newspaper comic that's like 90% snogging and legs, 9% "jokes", and 1% "plot." For all that it's relatively softcore, I think it might compare with or even outdo the likes of Alfie or Oglaf.

Ok I couldn't help but go back myself to read more of the story, having no longer any strong feelings about any of the characters made it much easier. And yeah, dude interrupts the throughline of the story multiple times for sexual interest, but it's all "hush-hush, say no more." style sexuality. It reminds me very much of a very old SNL sketch with Jon Lovitz called "Randy Theater" or similar, where Lovitz is narrating an oh-so-sexual interaction between an 18th century lady and her footman, with all sorts of hints and teases as to what they might be up to. Eventually the footman says the equivalent of "let's fuck" and the lady agrees, only to have the randy host get very upset and angry that the implicit has been made explicit.

So yeah, 9 Chickweed Lane is a sex comic without the sex. 10 years ago I was too prudish to read sex comics outright, so this would have been right up my alley (and I probably would have said this had nothing to do with sex, ha ha. I am the outraged bawdy theater narrator).

Aside from the sex, there's really no there there. It's just not anything. I imagine Monty was intended to be some sort of witty take on a god-figure, but he's just so boring.

Tales of Ribaldry!

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/tales-of-ribaldry/n9700

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    I'm still angry about Pearls Before Swine slowly turning into Mallard Fillmore with Puns

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

She's going to boink her boss, isn't she

With a life size Bondage Krampus in the room? No, the boss is going to be all alone on his Christmas.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Glorious news in today's Whomp
    zpe850jyvma7.jpg
    Whomp Possum is back.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    nwtb882rxlmx.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Stop doing this, Tom.

one annie with two heads!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

What doea the alt text say?
    Unfortunately, the breeding population of Mars was entirely sysadmins, resulting in dangerous founder effects. On the plus side, their revolution against Earth will be entirely passive-aggressive.

• Options
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »

My name is Mary and I feel so attacked rn.

Listen, Kate, some of us get motion sick, ok!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    RImESE7.jpg
    Some commenters here think that I overread smugness into Pluggers panels. For instance, my first instinct is to interpret this panel as saying that walking into a chain coffee shop and just ordering a coffee (which, for the record, is what I do, and is something that workers at said coffee chains are perfectly happy to hear, you’re not blowing their minds or anything) is a morally superior act that really sticks it to the big city liberal millennials with their damn frappuccino macchiatos and such. But maybe I’m wrong! Maybe this is just meant to be a value-neutral descriptor of plugger consumer habits, and stringing together a series of nonsense fauxtalian terms isn’t meant as a slight towards the people who actually do order those drinks, at all. If that’s the case, I would propose that the real plugger here, in a country where working-class people are more likely to be in retail than manufacturing jobs, is the slouched, middle-aged, minimum-wage-earning balding-with-a-ponytail dog-man behind the counter, and not Andy Bear, who presumably has a solid pension and set of benefits from his union construction job. Dog-man is probably thrilled to get a plain coffee order, since that’s much less complicated to make! Truly, Andy’s choice is an act of solidarity!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ... yeah, no, it's the first one.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jambalaya in coffee would be terrible!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    RImESE7.jpg
    Some commenters here think that I overread smugness into Pluggers panels. For instance, my first instinct is to interpret this panel as saying that walking into a chain coffee shop and just ordering a coffee (which, for the record, is what I do, and is something that workers at said coffee chains are perfectly happy to hear, you’re not blowing their minds or anything) is a morally superior act that really sticks it to the big city liberal millennials with their damn frappuccino macchiatos and such. But maybe I’m wrong! Maybe this is just meant to be a value-neutral descriptor of plugger consumer habits, and stringing together a series of nonsense fauxtalian terms isn’t meant as a slight towards the people who actually do order those drinks, at all. If that’s the case, I would propose that the real plugger here, in a country where working-class people are more likely to be in retail than manufacturing jobs, is the slouched, middle-aged, minimum-wage-earning balding-with-a-ponytail dog-man behind the counter, and not Andy Bear, who presumably has a solid pension and set of benefits from his union construction job. Dog-man is probably thrilled to get a plain coffee order, since that’s much less complicated to make! Truly, Andy’s choice is an act of solidarity!

Pluggers have never tried out alternative flavors and are terrified at the thought of what might happen if they did.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    latte? sounds like something the BROWNS would like

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Worse than browns, Italians.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    J A M B A L A Y A L A T T E

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Worse than browns, Italians.

I'd say that I resemble that remark, but apparently Ancestry thinks northern Italy is French, so...

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/2683

A safe for work Comic concerning the extra large space Marines

• Options
    https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/2683

A safe for work Comic concerning the extra large space Marines

ochkfpd33zlx.png

• Options
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

The two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

This may be my favorite DoA comic yet.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Ok zak, I have a plan

You're going to need a boom box and a tape of the pina colada song

This discussion has been closed.