As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars] Open TROS Spoilers! Beware!

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    But spinny lightsaber isn't cool it's bloody farcical like if you wielded your lightsaber in pogo stick fashion you wouldn't be measurably less cool, hoppin around like an arsehole with a serious frowny face expression

I dunno I imagine a dark lord sitting there, the wowm wowm noise as he just menacingly bounces on the lightsaber. "If you do not turn I will jump on you young padawan you should consider your next actions wisely."

Other 'cool' ideas:
    What if you had like ten of them sticking out of your hat and you threw it like Raiden? The Lightsombrero.
    Lightsaber Wolverine claws?
    A crossbow that shoots lightsabers. The string is also made out of lightsaber.
    A hat with a lightsaber sticking out of it so you could ram them like a rhino.
    Lightsaber shoes so you can kick someone.

And of course there was Darth Xtreme from the EU, who added lightsabers to the front of his hoverboard so he could slice both epic waves and Jedi.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Actually I think that may be the main problem with the spinny lightsabers it comes from people with extremely serious demands to be taken seriously, if some sort of plucky brash clownish figure did the spinny lightsaber itd be fine

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Raiden is lightning guy. Hat guy is Kung Lao.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Mark Hamil with a bit of behind the scenes magic from Empire Strikes Back.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    It's not much of a stretch to imagine that a bunch of Jedi and padawans would have been taken down by inquisitors doing dumb shit like spinny lightsaber. Most Jedi aren't going to be as talented as Obi-Wan, Anakin, and the other Jedi that get a spotlight in the shows/movies.

Is this actually true? Do we have any reason to believe that Obi-Wan in particular is singularly skilled in the Force? Like is there any evidence that he is above replacement level besides a "well he's one of our protagonists he must be."

I'm just legitimately curious.
    He beats Anakin 1 v 1 in his biological prime, and is able to fight him to a stalemate again as Vader ~25 years later. Considering the way Vader tosses around other Jedi throughout the canon, this suggests Kenobi is far above average tier, at least in dueling/saber combat. Rebels:
    He also dispatches Darth Maul in 3 moves flat when they meet on Tatooine

Considering how all over the place the movie fighting choreography is as a function of our temporal reality and filmmaking history, I'm not sure visual flair is a fair indicator of skill, but outcomes probably can be relied upon.

Senna1 on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Listen, spinning is how things fly and the faster they spin the more they fly. Look at a bird sometime, losers.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I thought Darth Maul was great in The Phantom Menace, he was the goon, and he was great at it, he was a capable fighter, looked cool and threatening. They should have left him dead, instead of trying to make him into something that he wasnt.

I thought they should have merged Maul and Grievous into one character (after Maul got bifurcated) and kept him around for the full PT.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Christ but Lucas wasted good villains.

Fencingsax wrote: »

This is what I get for being a Street Fighter person. Made to look like a fool on a gaming forum.
    Senna1 wrote: »
    It's not much of a stretch to imagine that a bunch of Jedi and padawans would have been taken down by inquisitors doing dumb shit like spinny lightsaber. Most Jedi aren't going to be as talented as Obi-Wan, Anakin, and the other Jedi that get a spotlight in the shows/movies.

Is this actually true? Do we have any reason to believe that Obi-Wan in particular is singularly skilled in the Force? Like is there any evidence that he is above replacement level besides a "well he's one of our protagonists he must be."

He beats Anakin 1 v 1 in his biological prime, and is able to fight him to a stalemate again as Vader ~25 years later. Considering the way Vader tosses around other Jedi throughout the canon, this suggests Kenobi is far above average tier, at least in dueling/saber combat. Rebels:

Considering how all over the place the movie fighting choreography is as a function of our temporal reality and filmmaking history, I'm not sure visual flair is a fair indicator of skill, but outcomes probably can be relied upon.

Is this just Vader being written super inconsistently depending on the author (or I guess the will of the Force or some bs)? Luke Skywalker is barely trained, he holds his own twice. Dooku makes pretty light work of him. I assume Ahsoka (she certainly seems to believe that) would ultimately lose but I guess we'll never know?

On the other hand he beats the shit out of Kanan and Ezra?

Even if we want to count pilot Vader, the way he annihilates Phoenix Squadron is very different from the Battle of Yavin. It just seems like his ability is written poorly.

Like maybe Obi-Wan is replacement level but he has worked with Anakin so long he knows his habits. It's like when a player leaves in free agency and plays against his old team but he still knows the play calling.

Can we not put like open spoilers about Rebels in a general star wars thread? Like some of us are just watching the show now because of its recent availability on disney +

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Quid wrote: »
    Christ but Lucas wasted good villains.

Well. Good villain designs.

Having only seen the movies and no Prequel EU material going into Revenge of the Sith, all the Grievous stuff was pure nonsense for me. Ewan McGregor doing a damned good job of being charming while staring at a blue screen and having no clear idea how to react.

Grievous does his spinny lightsaber bit and Obi-Wan doesn’t even blink. Not like, “I’ve got this,” stoicism, just “George doesn’t know what I’m supposed to be reacting to yet, so he told me to play it neutral.”

OneAngryPossum on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    https://youtu.be/WIj7gIDFDe4

That was the first introduction of Grievous. He's a terribly frightening character.

Then Lucas got a hold of him and decided "lol what of he had my cough?"

Edit: That's not an exaggeration either. Lucas literally came in one day with a bad cough and thought it'd be funny if they recorded it and used it for Grievous.

Quid on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

This is what I get for being a Street Fighter person. Made to look like a fool on a gaming forum.

Is this just Vader being written super inconsistently depending on the author (or I guess the will of the Force or some bs)? Luke Skywalker is barely trained, he holds his own twice. Dooku makes pretty light work of him. I assume Ahsoka (she certainly seems to believe that) would ultimately lose but I guess we'll never know?

Even if we want to count pilot Vader, the way he annihilates Phoenix Squadron is very different from the Battle of Yavin. It just seems like his ability is written poorly.

Like maybe Obi-Wan is replacement level but he has worked with Anakin so long he knows his habits. It's like when a player leaves in free agency and plays against his old team but he still knows the play calling.

Point of order; he wasn't trying to kill Luke, so holding back was necessary.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited December 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Point of order; he wasn't trying to kill Luke, so holding back was necessary.

Not even at points during the throne room? If you want to argue he's very conflicted, I think you could argue that during the Revenge of the Sith fight.

Also he could just beat the shit out of Luke and make him come with. What prevents him from choking him until he passes out and just dragging his ass back to Palpy?

ChaosHat on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I’ll admit, I fell off the EU and anything outside of the movies pretty hard after The Phantom Menace. Never touched any of the books or animated series from that period - even as I heard they were better than the actual movies, I just did not give a damn about that setting or those characters in that point of the story.

So I know that Mace Windu and Grievous and Maul and Anakin have all these adventures that are supposedly strong and effective, but all I ever saw was Samuel Jackson being bored, a robot that isn’t a robot that mostly exists as a vehicle to add more lightsabers, a great character design that existed primarily for trailers, and... Hayden Christensen complaining about sand to be romantic.

It’s great that the ideas were stronger elsewhere, but the movies barely even have worthwhile villains, outside of a plainly evil Palpatine that isn’t any fun until 45 minutes before the end of the trilogy. And I guess it’s kind of amazing that somebody else could salvage Lucas’s ideas only for him to come back around and break them again.

Edit: God, just thinking of what a waste Christopher Lee was in these movies. I genuinely have no idea as to what that character’s motivations or history are. I could not tell you if he was ever meant to be an actual villain.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    It’s great that the ideas were stronger elsewhere, but the movies barely even have worthwhile villains, outside of a plainly evil Palpatine that isn’t any fun until 45 minutes before the end of the trilogy. And I guess it’s kind of amazing that somebody else could salvage Lucas’s ideas only for him to come back around and break them again.
    Some of the ideas are just great. But the PT is a classic example of what happens when no-one can tell the guy at the top "No. This idea of yours is bad and we shouldn't do it"

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/WIj7gIDFDe4

That was the first introduction of Grievous. He's a terribly frightening character.

Then Lucas got a hold of him and decided "lol what of he had my cough?"

Edit: That's not an exaggeration either. Lucas literally came in one day with a bad cough and thought it'd be funny if they recorded it and used it for Grievous.

I just want to chime in that the Tartakovsky Clone Wars is by far the best Star Wars animation.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It's absurd that we got Christopher Lee as a Sith lord whose character is a callback to Dracula and they somehow managed to make him completely uninteresting.

It's absurd that we got Christopher Lee as a Sith lord whose character is a callback to Dracula and they somehow managed to make him completely uninteresting.

George Lucas was masterful in wasting good characters and actors in them. Like Ewan did his best to make Obi great, but god damn was Lucas just fucking stepping on that dick the whole time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Spinny lightsabers are one thing but it's when you use it to helicopter around like what are you even doing it's fucking LIGHT, IT HAS NO MASS!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I thought Darth Maul was great in The Phantom Menace, he was the goon, and he was great at it, he was a capable fighter, looked cool and threatening. They should have left him dead, instead of trying to make him into something that he wasnt.

I thought they should have merged Maul and Grievous into one character (after Maul got bifurcated) and kept him around for the full PT.

God what an easy choice that would have changed almost nothing!

*walks away ranting about goddamnstupidshitattackoftheclonesaarjdkfs*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

In addition:

1. He is in fact a full-fledged Master.
    2. Yoda or Mace or any other available Master might have been sent to deal with Grievous, notorious for killing Jedi. The Council sent Obi-Wan.
    3. If you've read the novelization of III, it's repeatedly made clear just how good a Jedi Obi-Wan is. I would go so far as to say that the novelization implies that if every Jedi in the Clone Wars had been more like Obi-Wan, things might have ended very, very differently.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I went diving to find canon power stuff. Obi-wan is described as one of the greatest duelists of his generation in a book (and by his feats on-screen), Anakin describes him as being 'as wise as Mastery Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu' but iirc he was being whiny in that scene so * that, he defeats Grievous who killed like a zillion Jedi no sweat, and in Rebels
    he defeats Maul, who is repeatedly shown as being a few cuts above the jobber force users in the rest of the series, faster than I think any Force user has been defeated outside of Vader cutting through jobbers.

Also it was interesting to read that Mace Windu 100% overwhelmed Palpatine for real and would have killed him, bringing all of Palp's plans to nothing through brute force.

I kind of figured Palpatine was playing mind games there.

Kamar on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The lightsaber spinny thing is probably fucking terrifying if you do not also have a lightsaber and are trained to use it. Which is the era in which the Inquisitors lived in until the Rebels crew showed up.

Like, against blasters and whatnot, it's an incredibly effective shield that can also kill you.

Keep in mind the Inquisitors seem mostly to be equal to the lowest tier of Jedi Knights. Enough to wander around murdering hiding padawans and untrained Force Sensitives, especially with Stormtrooper support.

They show up and ambush murder you with the Dark Side. Stupid bullshit probably works well for them, since a target that gets a rematch and expects the nonsense is rare, and a target that would murder them in the first exchange gets kicked up to Vader.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

God what an easy choice that would have changed almost nothing!

*walks away ranting about goddamnstupidshitattackoftheclonesaarjdkfs*

Well, my thinking on it was then you could dial up the drama between Maul and Obi-Wan. Maybe have a little mystery why there's this force wielding droid going around murdering the fuck out of Jedi. Big reveal boom it's Darth Maul. The PT felt like it needed a visible villain for the good guys to deal with over the course of all three films. Instead it was kinda "monster of the week" going from Maul to Dooku to Grievous.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The lightsaber spinny thing is probably fucking terrifying if you do not also have a lightsaber and are trained to use it. Which is the era in which the Inquisitors lived in until the Rebels crew showed up.

Like, against blasters and whatnot, it's an incredibly effective shield that can also kill you.

How would that contraption be an effective shield against blasters. Do you think Helicopters are immune to gunfire from above, or World War 2 dogfighters were invincible from the front?

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

How would that contraption be an effective shield against blasters. Do you think Helicopters are immune to gunfire from above, or World War 2 dogfighters were invincible from the front?

Helicopter blades can't reflect bullets like lightsabers can reflect blasters.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The spinny lightsbers are dumb but also probably practical. Lightsabers are hard to use. Ifs easy to main yourself in ways that it isnt when using a sword for example. (Swords mass makes it easier to hold, armor works against them to touching yourself wont burn though everything, a non-slicing blow with a sword will be unlikely to cut and if it does damage is likely to be minimal. You dont need to use nearly as much force to cut through a limb with a light saber as you do with a longsword.

So the spinny thing you juat hold in front of you and it will pretty reliably block blaster bolts and also do a decent job of stopping other melee weapons, you just have to move the center away from the incoming blade. Plus the terror spinning blades factor and...
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Is time travel really that much of a leap in a science fantasy setting filled with prophecy and precognition?

Also one with ftl travel :p

wbBv3fj.png
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    I was at Roppongi Hills last night with the missus where the cast and crew of TROS is currently in Japan promoting the new movie.

We saw Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Kathleen Kennedy, and J.J. Abrams at the event. Pretty cool and unexpected (as my wife and I weren't planning on seeing them but still a welcome surprise, to be sure).
    uasiqndr9hbh.jpeg

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

He was hand-picked to go up against General Grievous in RotS, wasn't he?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Canon Obi is great but not the best as far as force stuff goes. Good enough to be a master but no Yoda. Hes better with a lightsaber, in large part due to his time under Qui Gon but still below Mace and some others. His most notable skill was as a diplomat and negotiator for which he was famous during the Clone Wars.

Basically he's strong enough for the stories to put him in the middle of it reasonably but not so strong that he'll always win.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Honestly in cannon being a good negotiator and diplomat was what Jedi's excelled at, so that's a super useful skill.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Obi-Wan is a master of Soresu which is the Form III lightsaber combat style that focuses on maximum defense, if I recall correctly, which is a perfect counter to Grievous who was all about offense and intimidation (and Obi-Wan wasn't intimidated by the likes of Grievous). That and Obi-Wan was pretty cagey and ended up using a blaster rifle against him, something a Jedi wasn't expected to wield.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    So when people played with their Star Wars figures back when they were younglings, did they only ever use official Star Wars vehicles and bases or did they, as we did in the Bogart household, build stuff out of Lego and reuse old cardboard packaging that kinda looked like a spaceship if you cut some bits out of it or polystyrene inserts for TVs and the like that made instant budget-conscious alternative white Hoth buildings?

I think we just played with what we had on hand, but it’s been at least 30 years so my memory is a little hazy. I think we had Luke’s speeder and parts of Jabba’s palace along with a few random figures none of whom I can recall exactly. And they were secondhand to start with and we were kids so they didn’t last.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Spinny lightsabers are one thing but it's when you use it to helicopter around like what are you even doing it's fucking LIGHT, IT HAS NO MASS!

Yeah, when Tartakovsky Grievous uses a spin attack, the appropriate response would be "what the fuck do we even do against this?" because it's like trying to fist-fight a blender with laser teeth. By the time you've figured out you missed a block, you've already been blended into a homogenous blob of Force goo. That's if he doesn't get you with one of his murder-feet first.

Then the Inquisitors have those fuck-awful spinny sabers, which manage to look dumb, look impractical, and have the dumbass flying thing tacked on for good measure. That was some really really bad design there, and some classic lightsaber one-upmanship for goofy/shitty designs as well. It's probably why the Inquisitors are never mentioned outside Rebels, because their lightsabers are just so embarrassingly dumb. I hope Palpatine sat down after that and made a big note to stick on his office desk that says "no more minions with goofy fucking lightsabers, they always suck".

edited December 2019

Yeah, when Tartakovsky Grievous uses a spin attack, the appropriate response would be "what the fuck do we even do against this?" because it's like trying to fist-fight a blender with laser teeth. By the time you've figured out you missed a block, you've already been blended into a homogenous blob of Force goo. That's if he doesn't get you with one of his murder-feet first.

Then the Inquisitors have those fuck-awful spinny sabers, which manage to look dumb, look impractical, and have the dumbass flying thing tacked on for good measure. That was some really really bad design there, and some classic lightsaber one-upmanship for goofy/shitty designs as well. It's probably why the Inquisitors are never mentioned outside Rebels, because their lightsabers are just so embarrassingly dumb. I hope Palpatine sat down after that and made a big note to stick on his office desk that says "no more minions with goofy fucking lightsabers, they always suck".

The Inquisitors have a presence in most of the new Imperial-era EU stuff. They're the primary threat in Fallen Order and have the double-bladed spinning lightsabers.

I can't remember if any of them ever actually use the spinning in Fallen Order, though.
    Ninth Sister no doubt used hers to survive her fall off camera, though.

Kamar on
    Kamar wrote: »

The Inquisitors have a presence in most of the new Imperial-era EU stuff. They're the primary threat in Fallen Order and have the double-bladed spinning lightsabers.

I can't remember if any of them ever actually use the spinning in Fallen Order, though.
    Ninth Sister no doubt used hers to survive her fall off camera, though.
    Only as brief attacks

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So I binged what’s been released of The Mandalorian and I want more now please

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The way ep 5 ended probably doesn't help.

Shadowen on
This discussion has been closed.