[Star Wars] Open TROS Spoilers! Beware!

195969799101

Posts

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Heresy time: I'm actually not a fan of Babu Frik.
    He's too small, and too cute. I cannot take him at all seriously. He's not a character, not a sentient being; he's a finger puppet. He's obviously a finger puppet.

    Yeah I legit groaned in my mind when Babu Fruk showed up. He serves no purpose in the story other than to sell merchandise. He's a MacGuffin character in an entire move full of MacGuffins. He had one semi-funny scene which I guess elevated him above the rest of the film, but the bar was so low and his placement was so obvious and manipulative that it just fell flat for me.

    When I found out later that Babu Frik was apparently popular or something, I was mystified. Like, I guess he's cute but he's a complete non-entity like all the other random character in this movie. I guess he had personality so that elevated him above all the other new additions.

    kimeShadowenOneAngryPossumjothkiAistanJoolanderLanlaornDizzy DSteelhawkmysticjuicer
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    They were pushing that new droid on the kids channels before the movie. Just warming up everyone's merch buying impulses really. Droid mostly forgettable in the movie.

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it's me, the target demographic for babu frik that still hated this piece of shit movie

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    ElvenshaeConnGiggles_FunsworthmysticjuicerThorn413QuidKetar
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Babu Frik is an obvious and wonderful homage to Old Chu the eye designer from Blade Runner and I will not hear him disparaged in this thread, you heathens.

    _
    iOS: hlprmnky | PSN: hlprmnky_2 | SC2: Callow.126
    Giggles_Funsworth
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    ElvenshaeGiggles_Funsworth
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I dunno if you want to pay homage to an Asian character through a tiny finger-puppet who is only there for comedic relief...

    Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    ElvenshaeGiggles_Funsworth
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    Oh you mean his son, Obi Wan Organa.

    steam_sig.png
    ElvenshaeInquisitor77FencingsaxJoolanderGiggles_FunsworthpainfulPleasance
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    So I finally got around to seeing this last night. The first thing I thought walking out was that this reminded me so much of an 80's cartoon level movie.

    Palpatine in this movie:
    i8iswz5e6nf6.png

    Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    ElvenshaeCapt Howdy
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    80s style Star Wars movie you say?

    Shit now I want a Star Wars movie that deep dives into the mystical force stuff, with sith and jedi battling each other in an ancient war, using incredible martial arts training and powers

    Except the main character is Jak B'rTon

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    BloodySlothTrajan45GiantGeek2020painfulPleasance
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    He does have a connection to the name. The same way a tiller takes the name Tiller, Solo says something about Han. Finn has a connection to his name after 3 seconds because his first friend ever refused to call him by a number. Acquired names can have tons of meaning packed into them.

    And again, I don't think the movie did it well. I just feel like one could take the bones out of Solo and build something good. It reads like a Tragedy, but it's filmed as a Comedy.

    mysticjuicerShadowenkimeRingo
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    He does have a connection to the name. The same way a tiller takes the name Tiller, Solo says something about Han. Finn has a connection to his name after 3 seconds because his first friend ever refused to call him by a number. Acquired names can have tons of meaning packed into them.

    And again, I don't think the movie did it well. I just feel like one could take the bones out of Solo and build something good. It reads like a Tragedy, but it's filmed as a Comedy.

    Yeah, but he didn't take the name, it was given to him because he had nothing better at the moment. Like, it wasn't a moment of realization of identity, it was a gag to get to the next scene.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    FANTOMASElvenshaeshryke
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    He does have a connection to the name. The same way a tiller takes the name Tiller, Solo says something about Han. Finn has a connection to his name after 3 seconds because his first friend ever refused to call him by a number. Acquired names can have tons of meaning packed into them.

    And again, I don't think the movie did it well. I just feel like one could take the bones out of Solo and build something good. It reads like a Tragedy, but it's filmed as a Comedy.

    Yeah, but he didn't take the name, it was given to him because he had nothing better at the moment. Like, it wasn't a moment of realization of identity, it was a gag to get to the next scene.

    He lived with the name for the rest of his life. The dude didn't tattoo it on his forehead. It became a liability to keep it as soon as he deserted the military, but he did. It absolutely meant something to Han, no matter how the scene fumbled the moment.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    He does have a connection to the name. The same way a tiller takes the name Tiller, Solo says something about Han. Finn has a connection to his name after 3 seconds because his first friend ever refused to call him by a number. Acquired names can have tons of meaning packed into them.

    And again, I don't think the movie did it well. I just feel like one could take the bones out of Solo and build something good. It reads like a Tragedy, but it's filmed as a Comedy.

    Yeah, but he didn't take the name, it was given to him because he had nothing better at the moment. Like, it wasn't a moment of realization of identity, it was a gag to get to the next scene.

    He lived with the name for the rest of his life. The dude didn't tattoo it on his forehead. It became a liability to keep it as soon as he deserted the military, but he did. It absolutely meant something to Han, no matter how the scene fumbled the moment.

    I mean, the problem is more that the audience has an affinity for the name more than the character does. He kept the name because he's Han Solo. He didn't become Han Solo because he thought the name was good. That's the reason the scene makes no sense, because it only really makes sense or matters because we've seen the movies.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Han getting the Solo name was better than what they did with Rey, at least.

    RichymysticjuicerMonwynThorn413ShadowenQuidkimesullijoMunkus BeaverJoolanderswaylowbrynhrtmnpainfulPleasance
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    The Solo name would have been better if there was a running gag of him trying to get the name corrected but failing due to bureaucracy like US Grant with his name and meaningless middle initial.

    Couscous on
    mysticjuicerRichyGiggles_FunsworthFencingsax
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Han getting the Solo name was better than what they did with Rey, at least.

    Are you kidding? Rey got ALL the names, and smooched the other names, not even EU characters have such a strong name game.

  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem.

    But the "please hold, lol yo momma!" fits perfectly.

    Fencingsax
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    He does have a connection to the name. The same way a tiller takes the name Tiller, Solo says something about Han. Finn has a connection to his name after 3 seconds because his first friend ever refused to call him by a number. Acquired names can have tons of meaning packed into them.

    And again, I don't think the movie did it well. I just feel like one could take the bones out of Solo and build something good. It reads like a Tragedy, but it's filmed as a Comedy.

    Yeah, but he didn't take the name, it was given to him because he had nothing better at the moment. Like, it wasn't a moment of realization of identity, it was a gag to get to the next scene.

    He lived with the name for the rest of his life. The dude didn't tattoo it on his forehead. It became a liability to keep it as soon as he deserted the military, but he did. It absolutely meant something to Han, no matter how the scene fumbled the moment.

    I mean, the problem is more that the audience has an affinity for the name more than the character does. He kept the name because he's Han Solo. He didn't become Han Solo because he thought the name was good. That's the reason the scene makes no sense, because it only really makes sense or matters because we've seen the movies.

    I see your point here, but I have a weird theory that Solo actually works better if you have zero knowledge of Star Wars. All the ham handed winks and nods that grate anybody with a passing familiarity are just stacked on top of moments that narratively work on their own - it’s annoying that Han first seeing the Falcon is played as this epic thing, but if he’s just a guy who is desperately trying to get any ship? It plays.

    So very weird. I started a rewatch yesterday before life got in the way, and I have to say I’m really coming around to thinking this isn’t just a fun movie, but a legitimately good one.

    I took notes on why and I’ll inflict them on the thread later!

    OneAngryPossum on
    ArteenGiggles_FunsworthAtlas in ChainsFencingsaxGiantGeek2020mysticjuicerSixpainfulPleasance
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited February 14
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    He does have a connection to the name. The same way a tiller takes the name Tiller, Solo says something about Han. Finn has a connection to his name after 3 seconds because his first friend ever refused to call him by a number. Acquired names can have tons of meaning packed into them.

    And again, I don't think the movie did it well. I just feel like one could take the bones out of Solo and build something good. It reads like a Tragedy, but it's filmed as a Comedy.

    Yeah, but he didn't take the name, it was given to him because he had nothing better at the moment. Like, it wasn't a moment of realization of identity, it was a gag to get to the next scene.

    He lived with the name for the rest of his life. The dude didn't tattoo it on his forehead. It became a liability to keep it as soon as he deserted the military, but he did. It absolutely meant something to Han, no matter how the scene fumbled the moment.

    I mean, the problem is more that the audience has an affinity for the name more than the character does. He kept the name because he's Han Solo. He didn't become Han Solo because he thought the name was good. That's the reason the scene makes no sense, because it only really makes sense or matters because we've seen the movies.

    I see your point here, but I have a weird theory that Solo actually works better if you have zero knowledge of Star Wars. All the ham handed winks and nods that grate anybody with a passing familiarity are just stacked on top of moments that narratively work on their own - it’s annoying that Han first seeing the Falcon is played as this epic thing, but if he’s just a guy who is desperately trying to get any ship? It plays.

    So very weird. I started a rewatch yesterday before life got in the way, and I have to say I’m really coming around to thinking this isn’t just a fun movie, but a legitimately good one.

    I took notes on why and I’ll inflict them on the thread later!

    Watching it without the context, only fixes some very specific grievances, but Solo only existed and got however many viewers it did, because its a SW movie, without that prestige, it wouldnt have been just a bad origin story, it would have sunk production companies, the kind of movie that blacklists the people who worked in it.

    edit: It would have been Cowboys & Aliens, but without the cast.

    FANTOMAS on
    Fencingsax
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON IndiaRegistered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem.

    But the "please hold, lol yo momma!" fits perfectly.
    DeEJ0KJUQAAb6wT.jpg

    ElvenshaeBloodySlothGiggles_FunsworthCommander ZoomshrykeShadowenHappy Little Machinehlprmnky
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem.

    But the "please hold, lol yo momma!" fits perfectly.
    DeEJ0KJUQAAb6wT.jpg

    This bit with Han was also an off-the-cuff oh-shit-what-do-I-do reaction to an evolving situation, not part of an opening sequence that was just a clusterfuck of dumb ideas. Han didn't break into the station with the intention of saying that somewhere, and it also wasn't at a part of the movie that should be helping you get into the feel of the setting before everything kicks in.

    FencingsaxObiFettmysticjuicerLanlaornpainfulPleasance
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Poe's yo momma joke section failed for me because it worked. Han tried something similar, but failed miserably. The yo momma joke succeeding significantly lessened the threat of the first order.

    FANTOMASFencingsaxObiFettLanlaorn
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I liked Poe's joke scene :P

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    ElvenshaeCristovalGiggles_FunsworthQuidCommander ZoomDoctor DetroitShadowenHappy Little MachinemysticjuicerAbsoluteZeroGONG-00
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    monkeykins wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem.

    But the "please hold, lol yo momma!" fits perfectly.
    DeEJ0KJUQAAb6wT.jpg

    I'm familiar with what they were trying to reference. They did a bad job, IMO. Poe's scene could be dropped into a Three Stooges skit. Wild tonal shift from "the New Republic got wiped out a few seconds ago I guess and we are about to kill all that's left of the good guys."

    monkeykins on
    FencingsaxObiFettLanlaorn
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Han getting the Solo name was better than what they did with Rey, at least.

    Idk. That felt really meaningful to me as somebody with parents that aren't my parents, and some pretty fucked up legacy with my actual family.

  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Poe's yo momma joke section failed for me because it worked. Han tried something similar, but failed miserably. The yo momma joke succeeding significantly lessened the threat of the first order.

    I always thought that was the intent. They're Tiki Nazis.

    Commander ZoomDizzy DShadowenhlprmnkyEmperorSeth
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Poe's yo momma joke section failed for me because it worked. Han tried something similar, but failed miserably. The yo momma joke succeeding significantly lessened the threat of the first order.

    I always thought that was the intent. They're Tiki Nazis.

    Yeah, except:
    1. They're Tiki Nazis that hold the entire galaxy in their clutches through brute force and fear. Seems like they should be a threat.
    2. Unless you're making a comedy, you really shouldn't make your movie villain un-threatening, and especially not establish them as not threatening in the first five minutes of the movie.

    sig.gif
    CaedwyrKanaFencingsaxObiFettTrajan45RingoFANTOMAS
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Poe's yo momma joke section failed for me because it worked. Han tried something similar, but failed miserably. The yo momma joke succeeding significantly lessened the threat of the first order.

    I always thought that was the intent. They're Tiki Nazis.

    Yeah, except:
    1. They're Tiki Nazis that hold the entire galaxy in their clutches through brute force and fear. Seems like they should be a threat.
    2. Unless you're making a comedy, you really shouldn't make your movie villain un-threatening, and especially not establish them as not threatening in the first five minutes of the movie.

    I mean, so does the US government.

    Incompetent and gullible evil can do a lot of damage if good can't get their shit together.

    Commander ZoomshrykeShadowenmysticjuicerAbsoluteZeroGONG-00EmperorSethpainfulPleasance
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Non threatening villains are fine. Especially when there are more threatening ones.

    Commander ZoomshrykeShadowenkimebrynhrtmn
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Oh shit, are we finally talking about how Baba Frik sucked in here?

    Dude suuucked.

    Commander ZoomDocshiftyshrykeQuidLanlaornbrynhrtmn
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    Excuse me, did someone ask if Babu Frik fucks?

  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The idea for Han's name is fine, I feel. The tone was the problem. The movie was very pleased with itself for being cute. Filmmakers haven't figured out that we mostly hate all the winking at the camera prequels tend to do. Had it been played as sad, recontextualizing what we know about Han, I think it goes over much better. The movie genuinely had some good ideas. Han himself had a zest for life and he was a good man. A better movie would have *slowly* chipped away at his nature until he becomes the jaded scoundrel we first meet. But it was determined to *very quickly* explain everything we already knew instead.

    Well, the other problem is it makes the name something he has no connection to, which makes certain choices in the ST a little more nonsensical

    He does have a connection to the name. The same way a tiller takes the name Tiller, Solo says something about Han. Finn has a connection to his name after 3 seconds because his first friend ever refused to call him by a number. Acquired names can have tons of meaning packed into them.

    And again, I don't think the movie did it well. I just feel like one could take the bones out of Solo and build something good. It reads like a Tragedy, but it's filmed as a Comedy.

    Yeah, but he didn't take the name, it was given to him because he had nothing better at the moment. Like, it wasn't a moment of realization of identity, it was a gag to get to the next scene.

    He lived with the name for the rest of his life. The dude didn't tattoo it on his forehead. It became a liability to keep it as soon as he deserted the military, but he did. It absolutely meant something to Han, no matter how the scene fumbled the moment.

    I mean, the problem is more that the audience has an affinity for the name more than the character does. He kept the name because he's Han Solo. He didn't become Han Solo because he thought the name was good. That's the reason the scene makes no sense, because it only really makes sense or matters because we've seen the movies.

    I see your point here, but I have a weird theory that Solo actually works better if you have zero knowledge of Star Wars. All the ham handed winks and nods that grate anybody with a passing familiarity are just stacked on top of moments that narratively work on their own - it’s annoying that Han first seeing the Falcon is played as this epic thing, but if he’s just a guy who is desperately trying to get any ship? It plays.

    So very weird. I started a rewatch yesterday before life got in the way, and I have to say I’m really coming around to thinking this isn’t just a fun movie, but a legitimately good one.

    I took notes on why and I’ll inflict them on the thread later!

    Watching it without the context, only fixes some very specific grievances, but Solo only existed and got however many viewers it did, because its a SW movie, without that prestige, it wouldnt have been just a bad origin story, it would have sunk production companies, the kind of movie that blacklists the people who worked in it.

    edit: It would have been Cowboys & Aliens, but without the cast.

    Cowboys and Aliens? The movie that sunk Jon Favreau's career and has kept him from working ever again?

    Doodmann
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Non threatening villains are fine. Especially when there are more threatening ones.

    Hux is an alt-right troll. He's dangerous but he's not really scary in the same way as, like, a Darth Vader.

    Kylo Ren, in that film, is the more dangerous enemy but he's also a conflicted character and the story is set up to make us believe he could go anywhere.

    The big scary enemy is the First Order itself. As just a group. A mass of resources, of people and ships and weapons, far in excess of anything our heroes are capable of mustering.

    Commander ZoomQuidGiggles_FunsworthShadowenmysticjuicerElvenshaekimeAbsoluteZeroGONG-00
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know Texas booniesRegistered User regular
    Babu Frik died anyway I dunno why we're talking about him

    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu/Auldhaerz Swygkhansyn (both on Mateus), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin most days
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Han getting the Solo name was better than what they did with Rey, at least.

    Hey look.

    World's shortest bar to clear.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    FencingsaxShadowenRichyDoctor DetroitElvenshaekimeAbsoluteZero
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    The problem is that the First Order is presented as a military organization that is a threat. It's not some faction of the new republic that is trying to get them to adopt more Empire like policies. As such, Hux is a military officer who is in his position due to merit based achievement. He's not a comp to the president or other elected officials. His incompetence, if you can call falling for a 'yo momma' joke that, reflects on the entire First Order. When he's not a threat, the First Order isn't a threat.

    Imagine the police have a stand off with folks robbing a bank. One of the robbers is on the radio telling yo momma jokes to keep the police occupied while the rest of the gang walks the money out the back, gets in the car, and takes off? Or an North Korean fighter approaching Hawaii, and while doing so is telling knock knock jokes to the air force commander so they don't deploy anyone?

    The Han Solo scene in Ep 4 isn't the same. The person on the radio doesn't know what's going on. There just responding to Han making crap up on the fly and they don't fall for it. The exchange is over really quick. If they wanted to add an homage to that scene in TLJ, saving it for the Casino parts would have worked a lot better.

    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    FencingsaxCaedwyrGiantGeek2020Kana
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    The problem is that the First Order is presented as a military organization that is a threat. It's not some faction of the new republic that is trying to get them to adopt more Empire like policies. As such, Hux is a military officer who is in his position due to merit based achievement. He's not a comp to the president or other elected officials. His incompetence, if you can call falling for a 'yo momma' joke that, reflects on the entire First Order. When he's not a threat, the First Order isn't a threat.

    Imagine the police have a stand off with folks robbing a bank. One of the robbers is on the radio telling yo momma jokes to keep the police occupied while the rest of the gang walks the money out the back, gets in the car, and takes off? Or an North Korean fighter approaching Hawaii, and while doing so is telling knock knock jokes to the air force commander so they don't deploy anyone?

    The Han Solo scene in Ep 4 isn't the same. The person on the radio doesn't know what's going on. There just responding to Han making crap up on the fly and they don't fall for it. The exchange is over really quick. If they wanted to add an homage to that scene in TLJ, saving it for the Casino parts would have worked a lot better.

    Why do we think this?

    And I mean, this entire section of the film reflects the opposite of what you are saying. The resistance tricks Hux and then blows up a bunch of stuff and then the First Order just kinda shrugs and pulls out more giant ships and keeps coming.

    shryke on
    Commander ZoommysticjuicerElvenshaeDoctor DetroitShadowenkime
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Snoke: "You wonder why I keep a rabid cur in such a place of power? A cur's weakness, properly manipulated, can be a sharp tool."

    Hux isn't in his position by "merit based achievment". He's there because he's easily manipulated.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Commander ZoomElvenshaeDoctor DetroitSteelhawkQuidShadowenGiggles_FunsworthkimeGiantGeek2020AbsoluteZerohlprmnkyHappy Little Machinebrynhrtmn
This discussion has been closed.