As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

19596979899101»

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Lower Decks looks good to me! Especially after 3 seasons of far too self-serious Trek.
    Ah fuck, you jinxed it, now they're editing in a new ending where the crew saves all life in the galaxy from a space laser.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Lower Decks looks good to me! Especially after 3 seasons of far too self-serious Trek.
    Ah fuck, you jinxed it, now they're editing in a new ending where the crew saves all life in the galaxy from a space laser.

son of a bitch

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Oh please, everyone knows you save that plotline for the absolutely guaranteed to come out eventually movie.

Star Trek: Quantum or some bullshit, probably.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I'd be a lot happier if they picked one genre and just worked at being good at it instead of this random throw-shit-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach.

It's not confidence, it's a desperate attempt to find an avenue for the Trek franchise they can understand and repeat without bothering much with looking at what made any of the good Trek actually good.

Yup. This isn't confidence. It's using the streaming media bubble as an excuse to make desperate stabs at monetizing the franchise.

There were no new Trek series between 2005 and 2017. In the past 3 years, CBS has put 6 Trek series into production. None of them have been cancelled. I'm not really seeing how this is evidence of desperation.

Even in the "streaming bubble," if a product isn't making money they don't usually respond by making more of it.

When Lower Decks launches, Trek will be at its busiest point in the franchise's history. These are not fly-by-night shoestring budget productions either; CBS et. al. have invested millions into these shows, and keep investing. I'm not sure that supports an argument that CBS is "desperate."

Putting 6 shows into production is absolutely a sign you are desperate to make money from this franchise you own that, as you note, had been doing nothing for over a decade. They are throwing everything at the wall. Streaming makes it much easier to shit out a series and slap it on your own platform and just see what happens.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I'd be a lot happier if they picked one genre and just worked at being good at it instead of this random throw-shit-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach.

It's not confidence, it's a desperate attempt to find an avenue for the Trek franchise they can understand and repeat without bothering much with looking at what made any of the good Trek actually good.

Yup. This isn't confidence. It's using the streaming media bubble as an excuse to make desperate stabs at monetizing the franchise.

There were no new Trek series between 2005 and 2017. In the past 3 years, CBS has put 6 Trek series into production. None of them have been cancelled. I'm not really seeing how this is evidence of desperation.

Even in the "streaming bubble," if a product isn't making money they don't usually respond by making more of it.

When Lower Decks launches, Trek will be at its busiest point in the franchise's history. These are not fly-by-night shoestring budget productions either; CBS et. al. have invested millions into these shows, and keep investing. I'm not sure that supports an argument that CBS is "desperate."

Putting 6 shows into production is absolutely a sign you are desperate to make money from this franchise you own that, as you note, had been doing nothing for over a decade. They are throwing everything at the wall. Streaming makes it much easier to shit out a series and slap it on your own platform and just see what happens.

Throwing everything at the wall, except the exact formula that has proven itself over and over again over decades. That's the weird part.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

That might make sense if they had announced 6 shows at once, out of the blue. But they didn't. Discovery premieres in 2017, and response is such that CBS immediately greenlit it for a second season and started pre-production for Picard and Section 31. Shortly thereafter, Lower Decks and the as-yet-unnamed YA show were announced as well. Discovery season 2 drops, leading to Strange New Worlds through fan response alone.

From what I can find, Discovery and Picard have budgets of ~$8 million per episode. So, at minimum, CBS has spent $312 million on Trek since 2017. That's not counting advertising costs, or the costs of making Lower Decks/Section 31/Strange New Worlds/YA Show.

And we know they're about to spend at least $160 million more, for another 10 episodes of Picard and presumably 10 for Strange New Worlds.

Whatever your opinion of New Trek's quality, no business is going to pump half a billion dollars into an IP unless they're seeing a return on investment.

If New Trek were not successful, and CBS was "desperate to make money," they would not continue to make New Trek. Rather, they would do things with minimum production costs for maximum return on investment--like AI-driven remasters of DS9 and Voyager, and pumping out microtransaction-heavy mobile games.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.