As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The DS9 theme is my favourite

Makes me wanna boldly go, which is funny because DS9 is not about boldly going anywhere other than the murky realms of moral relativism

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRuf3svyk0

Also I like the Picard theme. It feels underspoken and contemplative, which fits where Picard is at the start.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The DS9 theme is my favourite

Makes me wanna boldly go, which is funny because DS9 is not about boldly going anywhere other than the murky realms of moral relativism

yeah I adore the DS9 theme, it's one of my favourite opening themes in TV in general, honestly.

Also I really liked the Picard theme! I don't think the series had stellar music overall but there were some really good pieces, especially that theme.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I used to hate the DS9 theme merely for the crime of not being the TNG theme. Thankfully I've grown out of that stage and can appreciate it for what it is.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    TNG just used the theme Jerry Goldsmith composed for The Motion Picture. Though, speaking of the movies, I loved how they got James Horner to make the theme for the Wrath of Khan. It's like after getting Goldsmith for the first movie they wanted to keep getting top billed composers for their movies.

https://youtu.be/TDW5-VczFHo

This seemed like the most seafaring theme of them all. Master and Commander might have used something like this.

Aaaactually... It does sound a little like Claude Debussy's La Mer which I bet was intentional.

https://youtu.be/hlR9rDJMEiQ

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    That alt TNG theme has serious GalaxyQuest feels.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Star Trek 5 has some really really underrated music, they brought Jerry Goldsmith back for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjSqwGpX7hg
    The first minute is basically music from TMP and then it turns into this moody what does god need with a starship situation

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    TNG just used the theme Jerry Goldsmith composed for The Motion Picture. Though, speaking of the movies, I loved how they got James Horner to make the theme for the Wrath of Khan. It's like after getting Goldsmith for the first movie they wanted to keep getting top billed composers for their movies.

This seemed like the most seafaring theme of them all. Master and Commander might have used something like this.

Aaaactually... It does sound a little like Claude Debussy's La Mer which I bet was intentional.

Wrath of Khan music is by far my favorite Star Trek music. Really hits me in all the right places.

I liked it so much, that when I was a young teenager and couldn't afford to buy the soundtrack, I took my boom box and recorded the opening theme from our VHS copy of Wrath of Khan. You can imagine the piss poor audio quality. I didn't care, it meant I could listen to it in my room.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh man, somebody did my work for me and just made a 15 min mix of all the best music from 5:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3O7QFUeDU0

well worth a listen for some background music. give me some more o dat klingon theme

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    If CBS just sold this show or the rights to Netflix, HBO, or Hulu, we'd probably have a larger chance of traditional Trek.

That's what depresses me. I've come to believe CBS is simply incapable of making good Star Trek again, and haven't been able to since basically Voyager. For whatever reason good writing and letting Trek do what Trek is good at can't pierce the entrenched corporate thinking around that place. Basically CBS needs to give a really good writing and production team a blank check to make a slow, cerebral show, and they're just never going to do that. I mean..what VP is going to risk their position greenlighting that?

I'm not too worried. I have a feeling all these streaming platforms are in for a wake-up call when they realize folks don't want to be paying $10-15 a month for 5+ of them. I've listened to a couple podcasts now with business analysts that are scratching their heads around these network services; as it's profitable and way less work to just make content and sell it to others. Why take on all the overhead of building and maintaining a platform (making it work across dozens of devices, network performance and costs, maintenance, etc)?

If I had to guess, Peacock and CBS are going to be some of the first to go. I just can't see them competing with Apple, Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon, and Disney. The question is how long will that take, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Wrath of Khan music is by far my favorite Star Trek music. Really hits me in all the right places.

I liked it so much, that when I was a young teenager and couldn't afford to buy the soundtrack, I took my boom box and recorded the opening theme from our VHS copy of Wrath of Khan. You can imagine the piss poor audio quality. I didn't care, it meant I could listen to it in my room.

omg I did the same thing
    (though what I recorded was the two fights with Reliant.)

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    If CBS just sold this show or the rights to Netflix, HBO, or Hulu, we'd probably have a larger chance of traditional Trek.

That's what depresses me. I've come to believe CBS is simply incapable of making good Star Trek again, and haven't been able to since basically Voyager. For whatever reason good writing and letting Trek do what Trek is good at can't pierce the entrenched corporate thinking around that place. Basically CBS needs to give a really good writing and production team a blank check to make a slow, cerebral show, and they're just never going to do that. I mean..what VP is going to risk their position greenlighting that?

I'm not too worried. I have a feeling all these streaming platforms are in for a wake-up call when they realize folks don't want to be paying $10-15 a month for 5+ of them. I've listened to a couple podcasts now with business analysts that are scratching their heads around these network services; as it's profitable and way less work to just make content and sell it to others. Why take on all the overhead of building and maintaining a platform (making it work across dozens of devices, network performance and costs, maintenance, etc)?

If I had to guess, Peacock and CBS are going to be some of the first to go. I just can't see them competing with Apple, Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon, and Disney. The question is how long will that take, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Business-think imo. You see all the money the people you are selling the content to are making and think "But that could be my money!".

This entire thing basically started because Netflix suddenly began making a bunch of money on their streaming service and every content making entity was like "But that's my content. It's my money!".

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    I loved how they got James Horner to make the theme for the Wrath of Khan. It's like after getting Goldsmith for the first movie they wanted to keep getting top billed composers for their movies.

James Horner was actually not a big composer at the time! They couldn't afford a big composer, because the movie was only made because Harve Bennett promised Paramount he could bring it in for something like under $15 million, so they went cheap wherever possible.

In 1982 Horner was 29 and teaching music at UCLA. he'd only done a couple of film scores up to that point, the main one being for Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (Corman's low-budget Star Wars ripoff). Star Trek II was what made him big.

A lot of the music for The Wrath of Khan was actually...creatively repurposed stuff from Battle Beyond the Stars. I guess he believed in waste not want not:

https://youtu.be/GFElkz1e6Js

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited May 2020
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I loved how they got James Horner to make the theme for the Wrath of Khan. It's like after getting Goldsmith for the first movie they wanted to keep getting top billed composers for their movies.

James Horner was actually not a big composer at the time! They couldn't afford a big composer, because the movie was only made because Harve Bennett promised Paramount he could bring it in for something like under $15 million, so they went cheap wherever possible.

In 1982 Horner was 29 and teaching music at UCLA. he'd only done a couple of film scores up to that point, the main one being for Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (Corman's low-budget Star Wars ripoff). Star Trek II was what made him big.

A lot of the music for The Wrath of Khan was actually...creatively repurposed stuff from Battle Beyond the Stars. I guess he believed in waste not want not:

https://youtu.be/GFElkz1e6Js

As I said a week ago when this came up in the movie thread:
    Roger Corman's The Magnificent Seven Samurai... IN SPACE!

John Boy vs. John Saxon! with George Peppard as Space Cowboy (yes really), Sybill Danning as the eye candy in a metal bikini, Robert Vaughn basically reprising his role from the Seven, assorted quirky and colorful aliens to round out the crew, and introducing a promising young composer named James Horner...

And Horner continued to be well-known for... "creatively repurposing" elements of his previous work throughout the rest of his career.

Commander Zoom on
    It's a dirty little secret, but most movie composers "reuse" elements. John Williams, though one of my favorites, frequently outright steals passages from classical music.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I remember when people were all like, "John Williams is a hack! The Imperial March is just Mars, the Bringer of War!"

And there's that whole Youtube video with that guy who sings every pop song created that uses the same chords as Pachelbel's Canon.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I remember when people were all like, "John Williams is a hack! The Imperial March is just Mars, the Bringer of War!"

And there's that whole Youtube video with that guy who sings every pop song created that uses the same chords as Pachelbel's Canon.

Or, indeed, Axis of Awesome's Four Chord Song.

My favorite Star Trek music is either the suite from The Inner Light or the First Contact theme.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I heard we were talking about sexy animal-human hybrids and came as fast as I could

... as it were.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I had never heard Mars, Bringer of War before now. But I recognize a couple of movie soundtracks and some t.v. show soundtracks that have clearly borrowed from it. Actually, I find that the opening theme from Star Trek 6 sounds like it has taken more from it than The Imperial March has.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    I had never heard Mars, Bringer of War before now. But I recognize a couple of movie soundtracks and some t.v. show soundtracks that have clearly borrowed from it. Actually, I find that the opening theme from Star Trek 6 sounds like it has taken more from it than The Imperial March has.

and now you can better appreciate this scene:
    https://youtu.be/bfjj7Y9N27c

hp38l0a54aak.jpg

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Vedek Winn before being elected the next Karen of Bajor.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

NBC Universal is owned by Comcast, so I fear they'll be sheltered from their own hubris for a pretty long while.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Vedek Winn before being elected the next Karen of Bajor.

"Bless your space heart."

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The Bell Riots are four years early

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

The Eugenics Wars are much stupider in this timeline too.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »

I want to know who traveled back in time and fucked up this timeline so bad.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

50/50 on Archer/Janeway

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Are they? Maybe this is just the beginning.

Corona virus economic destitution and inner city riots -> Sanctuary Districts -> Bell Riots

Still on track. See you all in the trenches for WW3.

shryke on
  • MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/i_-ZoO87KpY

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    evilbob wrote: »

50/50 on Archer/Janeway

Honestly I think it could be any of the captains. I ran through my mental summaries of episodes and every show seems to have the captain go fuck around in the past at least once. Well to be fair I don't remember enough of Enterprise to be 100% certain on that one, but definitely all the other shows. Picard managed to find a way to fuck up the past without actually using time travel himself on time.

Honestly when you stop and think of it the temporal prime directive stuff they had going on in Enterprise makes a lot of sense. Too bad the execution of everything on that show sucked so bad.

Gnizmo on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

50/50 on Archer/Janeway

The crossover that we all knew we didn't want.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The Temporal Cold War (puke) would've made a lot more sense if Janeway was the culprit.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    There's an episode in season 2 of TNG that focuses on Pulaski and the Enterprise trying to solve an aging issue caused by a project to genetically enhance and create superior humans with telekinetic / psychic abilities.

In this episode, not only is the Federation fine with this, but they use the Transporter to solve the issue....but also end up condemning / quarantining the 12 year old genetically modified humans to the planet for life since they were accidentally causing it.

The whole episode had an amazing amount of problematic issues when you think about it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm trying to get into the head space of whomever programmed Vic Fontaine.

Imagine being so obsessed with ensuring that everyone gets laid properly that you spend actual thousands of hours becoming a holography specialist and then devote like a ton of your craft to building a personality dislocated in time by four hundred years specifically for that purpose.

... hmm ok yeah I'm pretty much there now that I write it out like that, that actually seems completely rational for some reason.

In the Star Trek post scarcity utopia, if your dream is to build a holographic lounge singer who helps people get laid, you have the resources to do that.

steam_sig.png
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    There's an episode in season 2 of TNG that focuses on Pulaski and the Enterprise trying to solve an aging issue caused by a project to genetically enhance and create superior humans with telekinetic / psychic abilities.

In this episode, not only is the Federation fine with this, but they use the Transporter to solve the issue....but also end up condemning / quarantining the 12 year old genetically modified humans to the planet for life since they were accidentally causing it.

The whole episode had an amazing amount of problematic issues when you think about it.

I am sure nothing can go wrong by letting a bunch of super powered adolescents grow up in environment with no love or support. I, for one, expect them have a lot of memorable prom photos when they get older.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

I am sure nothing can go wrong by letting a bunch of super powered adolescents grow up in environment with no love or support. I, for one, expect them have a lot of memorable prom photos when they get older.
    “Wow, the capital city of Betazed in flames! What an ...inventive image for a prom photo! How long did it take you two to write the holodeck program for this one?”
    “Explain, future slave - what is a ‘holodeck’?”

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

And people get mad at the writing in Picard glossing over all the details! (This is a pretty common pattern in Star Trek television though.)

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.