As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I suspect that, although it their treatment wasn't justified, to the extent that they might have been hounded off of world after world by solids given their behavior, it might have been more than just simple paranoia

like maybe the Founders kept telling people how they should be ordering their societies. And perhaps with varied methods to get them to do it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Both the Founders and Section 31 took a 'this might be a threat to us = this is a threat to us, ergo we must destroy it' approach. Neatly justifying their actions with the fact that see? We tried to wipe them out just in case, and now they're all pissed about it and being a threat, we were right all along!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I suspect the real reason is that they came out with the 100 thing before the dominion storyline.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    I suspect the real reason is that they came out with the 100 thing before the dominion storyline.
    They mentioned the 100 thing and established themselves as the leaders of the Dominion in the same two-parter.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hey spoilers but ep5 kicks right off with some serious extended eye gore. Whatever the context its in, it's still gross. I wish they'd stop just doing whatever they want in Trek "just because they can".

Edit: Now that I've watched 5 episodes, i can cement this new show into Very Good but also yet another example of people thinking that premiere tv = making your viewers miserable. Walking dead, game of thrones, discovery. So many shows where the permeating theme of the show is "do bad things to our characters for a long time but i swear there's a payoff wait no come back". I'm just...not into that right now.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I love Pratchett's joke on this. An explorer points to a mountain and asks a local what it is called. The mountain is then named as the words spoken in the locals language. Which translates to "Your finger, you idiot!"

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hey, could be worse. Could be the Grand Tetons.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Realistically a universal translator knows what language it is translating and so none of that matters. Sahara means desert in arabic, not english. Plus you'd almost certainly have a robust library of proper nouns and the like.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    i quite like the idea that the Founders are just the Roman Empire. Therefore it makes sense if their Oppression economy can't sustain itself without conquering new worlds and taking their resources to maintain Oppression.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The universal translator has always read the script so it knows exactly how to translate what is being said.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It's a stupid idea but the Changelings are painfully stupid at times in their own alien way

Which tracks, like, everyone has their intellectual blind spots. They're also as an entity culture basically the embodiment of group think to a fault. They'll all convince themselves this is a great idea, I totally buy that

The Hundred were sent out centuries ago. Presumably, they were sent during a time before the Founders became so fascist. They might have even been sent before the creation of the Dominion. It is implied that the Changelings are immortal so time isn't an issue for them.

• Options
    It's a stupid idea but the Changelings are painfully stupid at times in their own alien way

Which tracks, like, everyone has their intellectual blind spots. They're also as an entity culture basically the embodiment of group think to a fault. They'll all convince themselves this is a great idea, I totally buy that

The Hundred were sent out centuries ago. Presumably, they were sent during a time before the Founders became so fascist. They might have even been sent before the creation of the Dominion. It is implied that the Changelings are immortal so time isn't an issue for them.

The Dominion is like two thousand years old. I'm not sure on what they specifically say about when The Hundred were sent out, but presumably it was after that.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The Dominion is like two thousand years old. I'm not sure on what they specifically say about when The Hundred were sent out, but presumably it was after that.

Not necessarily. Odo didn't show up in anything warp capable. Trek is always a bit weird with times and distances on the galactic scale, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were sent out thousands of years ago.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The universal translator works by reading the brain-waves of the person or some such, IIRC. That is presumably how it know when a word is meant to be translated and when it's a proper name to keep intact. Or when it's a cultural thing to not translate at all, like when Klingons say Qa'pla it doesn't translate to "hi diddly ho neighborino".

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Female Founder did say that they didn't expect the first of the Hundred to return for another 300 years.

Also, the fact that the Founders don't age means that they don't care about the speed of travel. It doesn't really matter to them if it takes 400 or 500 years to get from one side of the galaxy to the other. Heck, for all we know, the Founders dropped the Hundred off in warp 5 ships.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Founders fell into the common 4x trap, since they didn't need to develop their tech to colonize planets, they let that lapse and got crushed by the other races who spent more time in the lab.
    Sad really, but kind of impressive to see how thoroughly they made a comeback.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    i quite like the idea that the Founders are just the Roman Empire. Therefore it makes sense if their Oppression economy can't sustain itself without conquering new worlds and taking their resources to maintain Oppression.

Honestly this is a bit of an unfair comparison

for the Roman Empire

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The Dominion does not seem to ever want for resources and that does not seem to be any sort of consideration in their expansionist policy.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The Dominion does not seem to ever want for resources and that does not seem to be any sort of consideration in their expansionist policy.

I do not see how you came to this conclusion. They completely rely on constant flow of resources from the wormhole and then later from factories they set up inside their conquered territories. They were always low on White and other supplies and the biggest Federation victories were in disrupting those resources.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I do not see how you came to this conclusion. They completely rely on constant flow of resources from the wormhole and then later from factories they set up inside their conquered territories. They were always low on White and other supplies and the biggest Federation victories were in disrupting those resources.

That's after the war is already started. Once you are fighting in the alpha quadrant the wormhole obviously represents a supply bottleneck and one that Sisko ultimately controls one way or the other. But they did not start the war because of resources.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Picard Ep 5 was pretty good! Though not perfect by a long shot. It's also a nice change of pace to see Frakes directing, I've noticed he likes to throw pretty unconventional camera angles and actor positioning in every now and then, and it worked pretty well the few times he did it in episode 5.

I was hoping for more out of the "heist" scene with the crazy get ups and what not, but was left sort of wanting - the cast has still got that awkward first season vibe when all together.

7 will be missed, as it felt like Jerry Ryan brought some serious life to the show. She's so far been the only one that feels real on screen. She takes over every scene she's in and they really nailed her wardrobe. Even Stewart's performance has weirdly seemed to lack confidence -but that might be chalked up to 7's side plot and motivations being pretty straightforward. It was a nice touch for her to ask Picard about his humanity. And that line about wanting to allow Picard to still have hope was rad.

The villain turn with Agnes was well done and a surprise.

I'm also starting to suspect Rios somehow downloaded portions of his personality into the EMH program.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It's interesting how
    colorful and lively Freecloud was compared to Federation worlds.

Federation worlds tend to be sterile, uniform, and rather boring. While it makes sense for Starfleet quarters to be simple and plain, civilian areas rarely have any personality or interesting aesthetics. And places that do have their own style tend to have it because of their history, like Picard's vineyard or Sisko's restaurant. Modern Federation style seem to be as bland as generic hotels.

And Vashti was so much more diverse compared to Romulus. There are all sorts of different Romulan cultures and fashion on Vashti, even after it's been deteriorating for more than a decade. While Romulus was grey and boring, with every Romulan having the same terrible haircut and clothing.

It seems like established powers like the Federation and Romulan Star Empire are culturally stagnant.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    TNG reunification:
    Starts interesting. Then bam, Sela. Villain monologue. Ugh.

The romulan plot seems overly complicated compared to to how it was countered by just flying a cloaked ship into the empire and beaming people down and up and down and up.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Listening to the latest episode of The Greatest Discovery podcast, they point out
    that Rios' ship is called La Serena. My first thought is - is this a Firefly reference? Is the ship named Serenity? Now googling some Spanish dictionaries tell me that la serena means the night air, so it's not a direct translation to serenity, but still it seems too close to not be a reference.

Also on Rios, I was expecting not to like him, I was expecting them to be trying too hard to make him 'cool' and for it not to work. To my surprise, I think he's a good character and I like him!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Worst. E.M.H. Ever.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Episode 5
    Icheb got done dirty. :(

I liked the interweaving of the Voyager theme as Seven leaves. It kinda sets you up for the rug pull of her going right back to vengeance.

• Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Listening to the latest episode of The Greatest Discovery podcast, they point out
    that Rios' ship is called La Serena. My first thought is - is this a Firefly reference? Is the ship named Serenity? Now googling some Spanish dictionaries tell me that la serena means the night air, so it's not a direct translation to serenity, but still it seems too close to not be a reference.

Also on Rios, I was expecting not to like him, I was expecting them to be trying too hard to make him 'cool' and for it not to work. To my surprise, I think he's a good character and I like him!

Ship name is actually La Sirena which is a Mermaid-like creature in Filipino Mythology. You can see the official ship logo here:

https://www.cbsstore.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/star-trek-picard-la-sirena-journal

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I was wondering what that logo was on Picard. precisely where the starfleet arrowhead would normally be.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    TNG reunification:

The romulan plot seems overly complicated compared to to how it was countered by just flying a cloaked ship into the empire and beaming people down and up and down and up.

2000 invading Romulans always seemed like an insufficient number to hold Vulcan.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Episode 5 was fun. I am starting to really really warm to the cast solidly here.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Everyone being irritable, angsty and miserable is starting to wear thin.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I agree, the fans really need to get a grip on themselves

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

I agree, the fans really need to get a grip on themselves

giphy.gif

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Best part of episode 5? Not a single scene with the incest twins.

Second best part? Big neon Quark's sign on Freecloud! That whole planet screams Quark. It's too perfect.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Did Rios really just reference
    Get Smart (99), and Stranger Things(11)? I mean it could be an incredible coincidence but he's trying for the name of a female character that's a number, and he just happens to come up with two others?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Hey spoilers but ep5 kicks right off with some serious extended eye gore. Whatever the context its in, it's still gross. I wish they'd stop just doing whatever they want in Trek "just because they can".

Edit: Now that I've watched 5 episodes, i can cement this new show into Very Good but also yet another example of people thinking that premiere tv = making your viewers miserable. Walking dead, game of thrones, discovery. So many shows where the permeating theme of the show is "do bad things to our characters for a long time but i swear there's a payoff wait no come back". I'm just...not into that right now.

I cannot deal with eye stuff at all. I had my face covered for that first part. I literally passed out for a full minute at the ophthalmologist due to stress and all the did was dilate me and take pictures of my retina.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    TNG reunification:

2000 invading Romulans always seemed like an insufficient number to hold Vulcan.

I assume they were planning to hold the planet hostage with anti-matter bombs or whatever super weapons the Romulans have. It would be easy for Starfleet or the Vulcans to overpower 2,000 commandos, but 2,000 commandos with bombs that can blow up a continent? Probably wouldn't want to risk it.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I cannot deal with eye stuff at all. I had my face covered for that first part. I literally passed out for a full minute at the ophthalmologist due to stress and all the did was dilate me and take pictures of my retina.

Yeah I'm very close to the same way so I wanted to kinda give a heads up.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Second best part? Big neon Quark's sign on Freecloud! That whole planet screams Quark. It's too perfect.

Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun!

• Options

Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun!
    You!!!

This discussion has been closed.