As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Best part of episode 5? Not a single scene with the incest twins.

Second best part? Big neon Quark's sign on Freecloud! That whole planet screams Quark. It's too perfect.

Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun!

Come right now, don't walk, run!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The episode where Thomas Riker steals the defiant is a good one, except when he's mean to O'Brien. :( And Miles was so sad about it too! Friggin kinda-evil Riker.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The episode where Thomas Riker steals the defiant is a good one, except when he's mean to O'Brien. :( And Miles was so sad about it too! Friggin kinda-evil Riker.

Even goes full Xanatos in the middle of it

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The fact that they go with him ripping off his sideburns to ominous music to end a segment is possible one of the best jokes the franchise has ever done.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVFWJ6DxVZc

Cause if you aren't really into Star Trek it's completely baffling.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My favorite media reviewer, Movies with Mikey, did a video on the history of Star Trek. Like all of his videos, it's really good! My favorite part being that he can praise someone while also pointing out their deepest flaws, and it never seems inconsistent, mean, or like he's shitting on the person for the fun of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7OTFp_kDI

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Oh BBC, you and your getting the vapours over weird things. The more things change!

(I refer to the later anecdote of TNG's The High Ground, a story ostensibly about terrorism, got shelved by the BBC for Data claiming Ireland achieved reunification in 2024 through terrorism.)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Recently, my favorite show, Steven Universe, got cancelled in parts of Europe (including the UK), because they made explicit that two characters are both GIRLS and in love. They did this visually by having the masc-presenting character wearing a dress, and the fem-presenting character wear a tux (for their wedding), so no amount of dubbing changes could "Fix" it.

So yeah, the more things change.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SwampFoxSwampFox Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Bah! Apparently I don't know how to hide a post on mobile. I'll repost later or more likely go back to lurking.

SwampFox on
    "It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Sir. Winston Churchill
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Best part of episode 5? Not a single scene with the incest twins.

Second best part? Big neon Quark's sign on Freecloud! That whole planet screams Quark. It's too perfect.

I also noticed
    that during his interrogation of Rios, Mister Fop mentioned a positive reference from “Mister Quark, on Feringar” which led me to believe that the Quark’s we see on Freecloud is a franchise. Quark doing well for himself, entanglements with the Breen notwithstanding!

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    How else could he afford his own moon?

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    And right next to Quark's bar. Mr. Mot's Hair Emporium!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Across the street from Cyrano Jones' Exotic Pet Store.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My favorite media reviewer, Movies with Mikey, did a video on the history of Star Trek. Like all of his videos, it's really good! My favorite part being that he can praise someone while also pointing out their deepest flaws, and it never seems inconsistent, mean, or like he's shitting on the person for the fun of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7OTFp_kDI

yeah this was really good

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man episode 5, ugh. I wish I liked this show.

Also would it kill CBS to hire the original actors for these people, come on.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Icheb’s actor is apparently a piece of work. I certainly can’t imagine Jerri Ryan agreeing to work with him again if what I’ve read was true

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The original actor for Bruce Maddox, Brian Brophy, doesn't seem to be an active actor, either. Sounds like he is focused on teaching at Caltech now.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So I was re-watching the end of TOS "Amok Time", where Spock openly shows his joy at finding out he didn't kill his captain and friend, and then tries to restore (or retreat behind) his dignity. And part of that, which I never noticed before 'cause it's quick and subtle and we don't see his hands: he gives his tunic a quick tug down, what a later generation would call the (real) "Picard Maneuver".

But that's not what I thought of first. No, I thought of that scene in Wrath of Khan, where Spock again takes a moment to adjust his uniform and compose himself, before speaking to his captain and friend... one last time.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The original actor for Bruce Maddox, Brian Brophy, doesn't seem to be an active actor, either. Sounds like he is focused on teaching at Caltech now.

Orville doesn't seem to have any trouble pulling in a pile of Trek actors. Granted, it's not having them reprise former roles, but it does seem like it shouldn't be that hard to get some of the former actors to come back.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I just watched the latest episode of Picard and holy shieet...
    P.I.M.P. H.A.T.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    P.I.M.P. H.A.T.
    Patrick Stewart as a hammy French space pirate was fun too

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    P.I.M.P. H.A.T.

Especially since
    Picard said he was a bad actor before!

And now we saw

We saw everything

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    P.I.M.P. H.A.T.

Especially since
    Picard said he was a bad actor before!

And now we saw

We saw everything
    When you have to act like you're Llwaxana Troi's suitor for a Ferengi, you lose something of yourself from the effort.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've finally caught up to episode 5 so pardon me if this has been mentioned before in the spoilers, I've been avoiding them until now:

Firstly, the sublime: I was watching Ep 4 while trying to fix some laptops for my day job, so I was only half paying attention to the screen. I happen to look up around 22:20 and noticed something delightful
    Soji does the little "Data head tilt" thing Data did whenever he was confused. Pretty sure it was intentional since she's right in the middle of the frame when she does it.

Now my complaints:

I'm kinda dissapointed that the episodes are rated M. My wife and I have been wanting to share this with our 12-year-old since she's become a big fan of TOS and TNG recently. But I mean, all of the series that aired on network television were usually appropriate for 10+. I mean, there was some violence but it was usually brief and not filled with gore. We've tried showing her some of the episodes by selectively cutting out some of the really nauseating scenes from ep. 1-4. But ep. 5 has proven really difficult what with
    Seven of Nine going on a revenge spree and constantly having flashbacks and then later what with Bruce Maddox going all purple
    it's really hard to cut out the nasty stuff. Anyway, I just feel disappointed because I first watch TOS and TNG when I was 12 and it was designed to appeal to a wide audience back then (yes, Wesley Crusher was my favorite character why do you ask?)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    i5bxq4wn02yq.png
    some good content from both redlettermedia and junkball!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I read something interesting about episode 05
    when that butcher is slicing up icheb, she says "now, where's your cortical node"

We know where it is. He gave it to 7 of 9 as hers was failing, and he could survive without it.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    You're putting grimdark eye gore and revenge rampages on Star Trek? Now that's what I call a taco!

• Options
    Catalase wrote: »

Icheb’s actor is apparently a piece of work. I certainly can’t imagine Jerri Ryan agreeing to work with him again if what I’ve read was true

Where do I click the "I want to know more" button?

• Options
    I guess i can get over the icheb actor being replaced but them not being able to convince the maddox actor to reprise bummed me out

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »

Where do I click the "I want to know more" button?

He said some shit after Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of trying to seduce him when he was only 14.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    You're putting grimdark eye gore and revenge rampages on Star Trek? Now that's what I call a taco!

Revenge isn't new im Trek..
    https://youtu.be/_skkBMvlWBw?t=189

(from 3:09)

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    i5bxq4wn02yq.png

god I seriously cannot give any less of a shit about RLM anymore

they've become such irritating hacks these days, it really bums me out

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    i5bxq4wn02yq.png

Wow, imagine a star trek captain poisoning a whole planet, or leading a whole race into a war under false pretext. Or traveling back in time and recklessly endangering the alpha quadrant. Or going crazy and machine gunning down some Borg who used to be crew members hours ago. Or selling weapons to primitive aliens to arm them against other primitive aliens. Or a captain that dreams about Borg implants coming from his eyes.

Imagine that there ever was something like strife or suffering in star trek. Whew, if there were, then all these arguments would just be total bullshit stemming from some seriously misled nostalgia and only half remembering the source material.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Imagine! Torture in Star Trek! Wow. That never happened before.

Why, it's so blindingly wrong, it's like I'm seeing five lights.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's almost like your mind has evolved to make you forget painful things that happened to you in the past so that you can move forward in life, which has the unintended side-effect of tinting your memory with rose-colored glasses.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    i5bxq4wn02yq.png

Wow, imagine a star trek captain poisoning a whole planet, or leading a whole race into a war under false pretext. Or traveling back in time and recklessly endangering the alpha quadrant. Or going crazy and machine gunning down some Borg who used to be crew members hours ago. Or selling weapons to primitive aliens to arm them against other primitive aliens. Or a captain that dreams about Borg implants coming from his eyes.

Imagine that there ever was something like strife or suffering in star trek. Whew, if there were, then all these arguments would just be total bullshit stemming from some seriously misled nostalgia and only half remembering the source material.

nah nah why think about the series as a whole when you can be edgy and make clickbaity videos where you just sit around and complain about stuff not living up to your shitty sense of nostalgia?

• Options
    To cross the star-streams, those tweets remind me of people getting excited at the rumours George Lucas was interested in resuming control of his own Star thing after, well, stuff best left for the relevant thread.

Like do they really remember?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Revenge isn't new im Trek..
    https://youtu.be/_skkBMvlWBw?t=189

(from 3:09)

Right, but that was just one scene at the end of the episode and was specifically about progressing Data's character. The entirety of TNG was rated PG, so even people getting vaporized by beam weapons was more cartoonish and less gory than ripping out someone's internal organs while making "stirring the mayonnaise jar" sound effects.

Even Picard's nightmares ended before it got disgusting.

Edit: oh wait we're talking about RLM not my comments? Nvm then.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I still find RLM fairly entertaining but a lot of their criticism is based on selective memory of the lore. Like the idea Picard and data had no personal relationship backed up by clips of Picard being "command face Picard" or based on their relationship at the start of their 7+ years serving together and ignoring the character development of the later seasons and movies. Picard spent time teaching Data shakespere on the holodeck, thats as close to sharing a personal experience as he ever got! And whether you love or hate the TNG movies they're cannon, you can't just ignore them because they spoil your point.

Also were they really expecting an episodic series of morality tales using the same 5 sets and cgi shots of the ship? They did that already, it's TOS and TNG. They're great shows but media has moved on and no one is going to make a show the exact same way as they did in 1969 and 1989. They're coming across a bit "old man shaking cane at sky".

All of that said I still think most of Rich Evans plot predictions will turn out to be correct.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    ok so i think people are confusing things in this thread.

the issue is not that there is torture or whatever in star trek, of course there was, but there was context and story arcs and many many episodes of not grimdark before we got to that. the complaints that people have with picard is that it feels like every episode is the grimdark climax and that none of the work was done to get there.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Was the actual on-screen stuff a bit much? Yeah, probably, I can agree with that.

But what I've been seeing a lot of from social media is people being outraged at the mere concept of the event in question happening in the first place. Or the there might be serious themes and political commentary and whatnot in Picard

which is so absurd it actually hurts

This discussion has been closed.