As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Impeachment] Trial of the 45th President of the United States Begins 2020/01/21

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I think it honestly doesn't matter what articles they threw in there. Neither the public nor Republicans in congress have budged on their opinions since the investigation began, and they're realistically not going to. A narrow plurality thinks Trump should be impeached, and that's what we got.

Dems will vote to impeach on a party line vote. It moves up the Senate, and they vote to acquit on a party line vote. The fallout gets used for campaign ads on both sides.

Whether there are 2 articles or 20, whether we wrapped up the investigation in December or April, this was always where it was going to wind up. The nation is too partisan for it to go any other way.

Hopefully the Dems' campaign ads are really good.

If it "doesn't matter" then why the hell did we let him off the hook for literally everything except this one thing?

I'm sick to my stomach, nobody cares about the rule of law, nobody even cares enough to put on paper that they care about the rule of law. We can't even go through the motions anymore.

The important thing is that we impeached him. That was always the best case scenario. The details of the impeachment, as far as how it will be received by the public, aren't terribly relevant.

Welcome to 2019! It sucks! Now we try to use this as messaging to get the GOP out of power.

I think it is important that we also Do The Right Thing which means not letting him get away with many of his other crimes. If we could realistically get the caucus to support it then it should be in there.

This can also affect messaging, because if it wasn't in the articles of impeachment he was probably innocent of it, right? That was basically how the Mueller report was received by large parts of the media / public.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Do the Right Thing means shoring up the government and enacting laws and firewalls to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future.

I want to see Trump indicted. I want to see him in jail for the laws he broke. That can come if there is political will.

But we need to make it 100% clear that no one is above the law. And the law needs to reflect that.

My eyes are squarely on Barr and McConnell.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Do the Right Thing means shoring up the government and enacting laws and firewalls to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future.

I want to see Trump indicted. I want to see him in jail for the laws he broke. That can come if there is political will.

But we need to make it 100% clear that no one is above the law. And the law needs to reflect that.

My eyes are squarely on Barr and McConnell.

Well I got bad news for you then... :(

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    One thing I just learned about the upcoming Senate trial was how the rules are formed.

I thought the rules required 60 votes, but in actuality it’s just a simple majority. Obviously the GOP has control of the Senate and McConnell will do his utmost to protect Trump, but it does give the Senate Dems more power in setting the rules than I initially thought. There’s a lot of GOP Senators up for re-election next year and a few of them are feeling heat from enabling Trump by things like appointing Kavanaugh and the like, so they have interest in ensuring the trial has at least the perception of holding Trump to task.

There’s a decent chance the Senate trial won’t be a complete clown show. At least, not as clown show as I originally thought.

They can afford three defections and still have a majority enough to make it a clown show. I highly doubt that there are four R senators willing to risk Trump and the party's wrath by siding with the Democrats on anything at all. I have serious doubts there will even be a single one.

That’s probably how it’ll play out.

But McConnell has been getting hit pretty hard in Kentucky the past year and will want the trial to at least have the appearance of not being a clown show, which will give Senate Dems some wiggle room on negotiating the rules.

It’ll still be bad, just not as bad as I originally thought.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Roberts has to preside over this as well. He might not want his legacy to include a hyper-partisan clownshow.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    There's nothing stopping them from potentially getting the financial records and then starting up new articles of impeachment based on that. Fits with the media too. BREAKING NEWS: Impeached president has massive financial corruption unearthed!

It'd be real easy to drive a narrative

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    There aint gonna be a second impeachment

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    One thing I just learned about the upcoming Senate trial was how the rules are formed.

I thought the rules required 60 votes, but in actuality it’s just a simple majority. Obviously the GOP has control of the Senate and McConnell will do his utmost to protect Trump, but it does give the Senate Dems more power in setting the rules than I initially thought. There’s a lot of GOP Senators up for re-election next year and a few of them are feeling heat from enabling Trump by things like appointing Kavanaugh and the like, so they have interest in ensuring the trial has at least the perception of holding Trump to task.

There’s a decent chance the Senate trial won’t be a complete clown show. At least, not as clown show as I originally thought.

They can afford three defections and still have a majority enough to make it a clown show. I highly doubt that there are four R senators willing to risk Trump and the party's wrath by siding with the Democrats on anything at all. I have serious doubts there will even be a single one.

That’s probably how it’ll play out.

But McConnell has been getting hit pretty hard in Kentucky the past year and will want the trial to at least have the appearance of not being a clown show, which will give Senate Dems some wiggle room on negotiating the rules.

It’ll still be bad, just not as bad as I originally thought.

I don't see why he would want that appearance. It's never been a concern of his before. It's much 'better' (at least as far as he and Trump are concerned) if they go 100% on the attack and use every single dirty trick and procedural bit of fuckery to fuck things up as possible. That's what his base loves. Not a fair fight. Not appearing impartial. Making the other side angry. It's what they've always done. It's what they doubled down on when they're in trouble. It's what they do when they have all the cards. The playbook's not about to change just for this.

The only question in my mind is whether they rush through it, yelling about how it's a sham process while using it to smear Biden, or delay and deflect enough so they can go "Welp, too close to the election, we'll let the people decide," which gives them a perfect out either way.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    There aint gonna be a second impeachment
    Yep. At best they're hoping they can time proof dumps of more crimes during the Senate trial to make life that much harder for Republicans, perhaps a Hail Mary for the Nixon tapes effect.

More likely it's stuff to be used in 2020 to further depress R turnout* and try desperately to swing the Senate. Which, really, is what this whole process is about.

* I'd add bolster D turnout, but really I don't think Dem enthusiasm is going to be a problem in 2020 regardless of the nominee.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    Hmm, if they do find something particularly juicy in the financial docs, can they told another charge or two into the trial?

But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Corlis wrote: »
    Hmm, if they do find something particularly juicy in the financial docs, can they told another charge or two into the trial?

Yes, they can pass additional articles. Will they... eh...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    It was dumb to being articles this quickly

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'd put some of the blame on the media as usual. And general public apathy. If Trump shot someone the story wouldn't stay in the news past a couple days.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more I think it honestly doesn't matter what articles they threw in there. Neither the public nor Republicans in congress have budged on their opinions since the investigation began, and they're realistically not going to. A narrow plurality thinks Trump should be impeached, and that's what we got.

Dems will vote to impeach on a party line vote. It moves up the Senate, and they vote to acquit on a party line vote. The fallout gets used for campaign ads on both sides.

Whether there are 2 articles or 20, whether we wrapped up the investigation in December or April, this was always where it was going to wind up. The nation is too partisan for it to go any other way.

If it "doesn't matter" then why the hell did we let him off the hook for literally everything except this one thing?

I'm sick to my stomach, nobody cares about the rule of law, nobody even cares enough to put on paper that they care about the rule of law. We can't even go through the motions anymore.

Anymore?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm still not even getting my hopes up that the SCOTUS will even rule against Trump on his financial records. Not saying it can't/won't happen, but I'll be pleasantly surprised. And without those I don't think it would behoove Dems to make a point of them during the impeachment hearings, unless they want to cite the court battle itself as an act of 'obstruction of Congress'

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The important thing is that we impeached him. That was always the best case scenario. The details of the impeachment, as far as how it will be received by the public, aren't terribly relevant.

Welcome to 2019! It sucks! Now we try to use this as messaging to get the GOP out of power.

The messaging would be stronger if Pelosi hadn't literally scheduled showing support for Trump's trade deals (passing them would hand him a huge win he could campaign on) immediately after announcement of the articles of impeachment.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

When is the right time? If this is too early, then when? Closer to the election so the media can jump on the Republican "it's a publicity stunt" bandwagon? During the election? After the election?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I think it is important that we also Do The Right Thing which means not letting him get away with many of his other crimes. If we could realistically get the caucus to support it then it should be in there.

This can also affect messaging, because if it wasn't in the articles of impeachment he was probably innocent of it, right? That was basically how the Mueller report was received by large parts of the media / public.

It's simpler than that.

If you're a Republican, Trump is innocent. If you're a Democrat, he's guilty.

That's it. That is the state of politics now.

We spend the next year making as much of a talking point as we can, and resign ourselves to the fact that, in the end, 2020 will still probably come down to health care and taxes. If we're lucky, we get a mini recession in October that revolves itself by January.

Basically, we trick the electorate into accidentally making the right choice.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

When is the right time?
    If this is too early, then when? Closer to the election so the media can jump on the Republican "it's a publicity stunt" bandwagon? During the election? After the election?

the right time is after they include the rest of his crimes

emoluments and obstruction of justice chief among them

• Options

It's simpler than that.

We spend the next year making as much of a talking point as we can, and resign ourselves to the fact that, in the end, 2020 will still probably come down to health care and taxes. If we're lucky, we get a mini recession in October that revolves itself by January.

I've started thinking that the part of 1984 Orwell got wrong was the idea that the party needs any coercive apparatus. Tribalism and media ranging from complicit to Fox already seems to be taking care of it.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

When is the right time? If this is too early, then when? Closer to the election so the media can jump on the Republican "it's a publicity stunt" bandwagon? During the election? After the election?

Weren’t people also gnashing their teeth a couple months back that this process wasn’t being done quickly enough?

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Weren’t people also gnashing their teeth a couple months back that this process wasn’t being done quickly enough?

Yes, people can have different opinions of how fast the process should go. This kind of comment always strikes me as disingenuous because it implies its the same people.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah let's have a big drawn out trial covering multiple disparate unconnected events that requires Senate attendance so that Warren and sanders can't fuckin campaign that's a good fucking plan. A bunch of confusing testimony about a bunch of different crimes won't muddy the waters and make everyone confused and exhausted to the point they just don't care about it anymore, especially given the fact that the Senate is pretty much no matter what going to vote against removal and everyone knows that's how it ends.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The messaging would be stronger if Pelosi hadn't literally scheduled showing support for Trump's trade deals (passing them would hand him a huge win he could campaign on) immediately after announcement of the articles of impeachment.

While I don’t like giving Trump a “win”, this does cut off any bitching that the House is focused on impeachment and not doing anything else.

• Options

You'll need to be more specific on "people".

Its amazing they follow this up immediately with the trade deal stuff.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yes, people can have different opinions of how fast the process should go. This kind of comment always strikes me as disingenuous because it implies its the same people.

If I thought it was the same people I would have said so.

The larger point I was getting at is that there is seemingly no approach to this that will please everyone.

I’m sure that many discussions were had about what to include, and I personally would prefer that some more of Trump’s obvious crimes be included, but I also think it’s a good idea to keep this focused on Ukraine as well because that’s the one topic that seemed to actually make the general public notice. It sucks that it’s come to this, but now it’s essentially a public relations campaign to get public pressure on Senators to vote for removal.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The right time is "before the media and the public get bored and move on".

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

If I thought it was the same people I would have said so.

The larger point I was getting at is that there is seemingly no approach to this that will please everyone.

I’m sure that many discussions were had about what to include, and I personally would prefer that some more of Trump’s obvious crimes be included, but I also think it’s a good idea to keep this focused on Ukraine as well because that’s the one topic that seemed to actually make the general public notice. It sucks that it’s come to this, but now it’s essentially a public relations campaign to get public pressure on Senators to vote for removal.

Dunno. I think that it would have been better to not include the Mueller report and just focus on the Ukraine stuff since that's the thing that seems to land hits, but I'm not particulary emotionally invested on this.

And there's a lot of very angry "We are going to impeach you for being Putin's cock holster Drumpf!!!" feelings around.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's simpler than that.

I mean, this has been obvious since the start. The Russians interfered in a US election and neither side's voters actually care enough about the issue to vote one way or the other because of it. The voting public just isn't committed to preserving the democratic system so you kinda gotta hope for the best.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    That we even have articles of impeachment is a huge deal. A year ago if you had told me we'd have articles before Christmas I would have called you a lunatic. Then 2018 happened, which may be the most important midterm in this country's history. The good guys and gals have taken a stand against evil. Take heart and be proud.

It's simpler than that.

To Alchohol the electorate! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I mean your best case scenario is always to impeach on 2019 and force the Senate to deal with the optics of timing and the election.

If you can do it right before Senators go home as well, that's awesome. I consider this timing ideal, if your only hope is that the electorate will scare the hell out of a few senators.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Stop worrying about what the Republicans will say

The right time would be when we have collected all of the pending evidence, and after bringing out witnesses about Russia, and his golf course/secret service, and his property deals

override367 on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

While I don’t like giving Trump a “win”, this does cut off any bitching that the House is focused on impeachment and not doing anything else.

It absolutely does not. McCarthy was at the podium this morning bitching out the Democrats for taking so long to acquiesce. There is no point at which this GOP will give the Democrats credit for anything.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The right time would be when we have collected all of the pending evidence, and after bringing out witnesses about Russia, and his golf course/secret service, and his property deals

2023?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    moniker wrote: »

2023?

The SCOTUS decision is literally a few days away, for starters I'd say that a time frame at least something like what Nixon had

It was always going to be this way, because this impeachment WAS nakedly political. It was about weighing focus groups and polls and not about actually laying forth the crimes of the greatest monster we've elected in modern history. We're going to die on the concerns of moderates while the base's enthusiasm rots, I just hope the presidential candidate can carry things.

I look forward to having to convince Democrats that Trump really did collude with Russia, since the party has all but announced that he didn't with this.

override367 on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

2023?

Cute, but the SCOTUS decision is literally a few days away

It was always going to be this way, because this impeachment WAS nakedly political. It was about weighing focus groups and polls and not about actually laying forth the crimes of the greatest monster we've elected in modern history. We're going to die on the concerns of moderates while the base's enthusiasm rots, I just hope the presidential candidate can carry things.

I look forward to having to convince Democrats that Trump really did collude with Russia, since the party has all but announced that he didn't with this.

Just cause we only got Capone on tax evasion doesn't mean we forgot he was an all around shit bag.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

It absolutely does not. McCarthy was at the podium this morning bitching out the Democrats for taking so long to acquiesce. There is no point at which this GOP will give the Democrats credit for anything.

Again, they're always gonna find something to complain about. But this is something more tangible than a pile of bills sitting in the Senate.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I think they made a mistake making the articles too focused. Every crime committed not in those articles (emoluments, obstruction of justice several times, misuse of government funds for personal gain, misuse of government contracts for personal gain, etc) are now dead as talking points. The investigations ultimately went nowhere and they weren't even included in the articles of impeachment.

I guess if you truely believe we are in a post fact word (for politics) then it doesn't matter. Dems vote impeach, republicans vote against, and voters don't care either way and continue to vote personal matters (healthcare, taxes, etc). But if we were ever going to return from this shitshow of destruction of norms and consolidation of power in the executive, we were going to need to highlight all of the problems that have come up, not just the easier to explain ones. How much support will there be going forward to say enforce the requirement that presidents divest themselves? I mean Trump didn't and that was apparently fine, no crimes committed there, he was impeached for the Ukraine stuff not financial crimes.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If you put in too many things then it just looks like Democrats whining about everything Trump does because they hate everything he does. It's better to focus on his one easily provable thing where his guilt is so obvious and not get into the weeds of a million things no one has ever heard of, doesn't care about, or doesn't understand.

It's better to do it sooner than later for the same reason. So it doesn't look like you're dragging it out just for show.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    I think they made a mistake making the articles too focused. Every crime committed not in those articles (emoluments, obstruction of justice several times, misuse of government funds for personal gain, misuse of government contracts for personal gain, etc) are now dead as talking points. The investigations ultimately went nowhere and they weren't even included in the articles of impeachment.

I guess if you truely believe we are in a post fact word (for politics) then it doesn't matter. Dems vote impeach, republicans vote against, and voters don't care either way and continue to vote personal matters (healthcare, taxes, etc). But if we were ever going to return from this shitshow of destruction of norms and consolidation of power in the executive, we were going to need to highlight all of the problems that have come up, not just the easier to explain ones. How much support will there be going forward to say enforce the requirement that presidents divest themselves? I mean Trump didn't and that was apparently fine, no crimes committed there, he was impeached for the Ukraine stuff not financial crimes.

I think that's why I'm so upset, this might as well be my party admitting that the Republicans can just create reality as they go. They have given up even saying what is real and what is not real.

This isn't the first time too, in 2010 the same people that created and passed the ACA pretended to have never heard of it or ran away from it so hard they tried to pretend Obama wasn't president. It didn't go well then.

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.