As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plasmodium [Chat]

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Vivax
    VishNub wrote: »
    I don't see how I can interpret this polling as anything other than a ringing endorsement of more fish content

I voted for Vivax but I still want more fish content tho

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Vivax
    Right now I am waiting for a salmon poke bowl yum

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ooh I wanna see that dashboard.

There are a few cool tableau dashboards at this bullshit data hell of a company

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Guess who is on SNL next?
    https://youtu.be/qgQxAlijpwo

Man finally SNL can do all those minority skits because they got a true person of every color.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Poke bowls are low effort chipotle-sushi. Change my mind.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Can I choose neither?
    Ugh

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Falciparum
    rsqthao3g9421.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Vivax
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Poke bowls are low effort sushi don’t @ me

@Deebaser >:(

MrMister on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vivax
    @cptrugged I tried to find the long post I made about the FC5 ending, but it's under spoilers and I couldn't locate it.

Basically, the ending is a repudiation of the entire game. Not only is it bad in an ingame, in-character sense, it's also bad because it disrespects player choice within the context of the game. By choosing to play it, you're required to carry out actions which drive you to the inevitable conclusion that in the end, the only winning move was not to play. Spoilers for ingame content below, though I will still leave things somewhat ambiguous if you want to give it a whirl.
    Within the context of the game, the ending springs an event out of nowhere that suggests your character was completely wrong to enforce the law or try to help people in the first place. You're given the "joke ending" option that's now standard in these Ubisoft games where you actually do elect not continue after the first cutscene sequence, the game is over in about 10 minutes, and that, incredibly, is the best possible ending both for you as a person and for the characters within the story. If you continue, your actions lead you to get a lot of people killed, behead the most effective group available to do disaster response after the surprise nonsense ending happens, and get the actual hero of the game (an NPC who has done enormous positive good within the region before you arrive) unceremoniously killed off-camera as a final fuck you from the developers.

Overall I had an absolute blast playing FC5 but I suggest that if you want the game to remain good in your head, rather than embarking on the final mission you should imagine that you finally call in the feds and then go fishing or something, all's well, end of problem. There's so much good to like, the multi was a blast, the guns, flying, challenges, all really fun. Many of the missions are also great!

The end just takes an enormous steaming dump on the whole thing.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The fish option
    Poke bowls are low effort chipotle-sushi. Change my mind.

If it's organized like a subway you are eating the subway version of that food.

Good poke exists and is not like that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

There is a place down the street that does $15 salmon poke bowls that are very good

I am feeling good about eating a lot of fish but also my wallet is crying

• Options
    @spool32 , can you even get good fresh fish in Charlotte? It’s like 2 hours from the coast.

• Options
    Vivax
    MrMister wrote: »

There is a place down the street that does $15 salmon poke bowls that are very good

I am feeling good about eating a lot of fish but also my wallet is crying

This place is right next to my house

only $11 but still same feels

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Poke bowls are ok as long as the Snorlax tails are collected ethically

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    The fish option
    There's a Poke-place near me and I got one once and it was just... too much fish. Even for me.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vivax
    @spool32 , can you even get good fresh fish in Charlotte? It’s like 2 hours from the coast.

yes actually the fresh fish game is on fucking point here. There are three good fishmongers that I know of including one place that will cook it for you right there, all cheap as fuuuuuck, and a 4th that was 1) Vietnamese judging by the amount of cajun spices and also the indecipherable glyphs on products I'd never seen, 2) in a sketchy warehouse that made me fear for my gut bacteria, and 3) had fuckin great seafood that was delish.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Can I choose neither?
    Poke which uses very strong flavors and ingredients (especially sauces) to mask the taste of the protein is unfortunate.

• Options
    Vivax
    I don't like rice, so sushi is fine but I'd rather have sashimi or, really, a sashimi salad. Poke places will sub the rice for greens and then I am eating the best thing, a sashimi salad.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Poke bowls rule and I would move to Hawaii and eat them every day if I could.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

yes actually the fresh fish game is on fucking point here. There are three good fishmongers that I know of including one place that will cook it for you right there, all cheap as fuuuuuck, and a 4th that was 1) Vietnamese judging by the amount of cajun spices and also the indecipherable glyphs on products I'd never seen, 2) in a sketchy warehouse that made me fear for my gut bacteria, and 3) had fuckin great seafood that was delish.

Awesome. We have a broker now and I filled out all my on boarding stuff today. Also, I peed in cup. It was 3 blocks from my house. Such convenience.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Eevee is my favorite poke

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Poke which uses very strong flavors and ingredients (especially sauces) to mask the taste of the protein is unfortunate.

Disagree. The ones I've had have had very delicious tuna.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Can I choose neither?
    wandering wrote: »

Wait snorlax don’t have tails

• Options

Wait snorlax don’t have tails

Well not anymore...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Can I choose neither?
    So an idea I was reading about yesterday that I find interesting is that the way we think about fish in the west (freshness above all else) is only half of the game. If you handle the fish correctly*, you can keep it and effectively dry age it in the same way you would a steak, and get a similar effect (more concentrated flavor, increased depth). It is, as I understand it, almost dogmatic in Japan, for instance, that some species of fish are best served several days after being caught.

It's not necessarily practical for most folks to do this, according to the fellow, as you have no control over the supply chain and the storage conditions are relatively onerous and specific.

*there are several things that are generally done badly

https://www.saintpeter.com.au/about

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    (Apparently Slowpokes are the ones with delectable tails. All fat Pokémon look the same to me)

• Options
    Can I choose neither?
    JebusUD wrote: »

Disagree. The ones I've had have had very delicious tuna.

To clarify, I meant the subset of poke places which do this. I didn't mean all poke places.

Moreover, for the places that do do this I'm not even saying they're covering bad fish. I'm saying that that there was no point in using good fish in the first place, since you can't taste it.

• Options
    Can I choose neither?
    I love poke, for the record.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    the only staple I don't fuck with is sunchoke, which I am shocked was even on the list of world staple crops

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    (Apparently Slowpokes are the ones with delectable tails. All fat Pokémon look the same to me)

Pokeracist.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The fish option
    The best poke is some version of "gets scooped out of a bucket", usually at the back of a grocery store or farmers market*.

*only true on the southern Hawaii and maybe the california coast

I like to ART
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    poke bowls are ok but like, they do not do anything special for me beyond be exactly the sum of their ingredients.

they also tend to be a lot pricier that just getting a sashimi meal aka deconstructed poke

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Can I choose neither?
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The best poke is some version of "gets scooped out of a bucket", usually at the back of a grocery store or farmers market*.

The uh... Bear Flag fish co in Newport/Huntington is probably my favorite out there.

• Options
    The fish option
    Doodmann wrote: »

The uh... Bear Flag fish co in Newport/Huntington is probably my favorite out there.

I'd rank Jus' Poke in Redondo above most places I tried in Hawaii proper. It's top tier shit.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Can I choose neither?
    A point the fellow referenced in my post above made is:

in cutting a steak you would never ever ever wash it in water to clean off the blood. Because you would ruin it. But this is how fish are done almost always. I do it that way. That's how you're taught.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Can I choose neither?
    j5ki5uwt5h46.jpg

I kinda wanna see The 8 Knights of Hanukkah.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Vivax
    VI-VAX

VI-VAX

VI-VAX

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So an idea I was reading about yesterday that I find interesting is that the way we think about fish in the west (freshness above all else) is only half of the game. If you handle the fish correctly*, you can keep it and effectively dry age it in the same way you would a steak, and get a similar effect (more concentrated flavor, increased depth). It is, as I understand it, almost dogmatic in Japan, for instance, that some species of fish are best served several days after being caught.

It's not necessarily practical for most folks to do this, according to the fellow, as you have no control over the supply chain and the storage conditions are relatively onerous and specific.

The Observer interviewed that guy not long ago

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/nov/17/josh-niland-whole-fish-cookbook-pioneer-chef-nose-to-tail-fish
    An especially influential placement was two stints at Fish Face. There, chef Stephen Hodges was obsessive about the handling of fish, convinced that any contact with water should be minimised. Partly this was for the taste – it’s much harder to get the skin on wet fish to crisp – but mainly it was for longevity. Wet fish, both Hodges and Niland believe, typically has more bacteria and will also spoil more quickly.

“I feel like the fish shop that has fillets of fish draped over ice is just the most ludicrous thing ever,” says Niland. “I don’t get it. I don’t understand why someone is standing with a fire hose and re-spritzes the fish to make it look wet, because somehow that makes it feel more like its fresh and it’s out of the water. It’s absurd.”

• Options
    Can I choose neither?
    japan wrote: »

The Observer interviewed that guy not long ago

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/nov/17/josh-niland-whole-fish-cookbook-pioneer-chef-nose-to-tail-fish
    An especially influential placement was two stints at Fish Face. There, chef Stephen Hodges was obsessive about the handling of fish, convinced that any contact with water should be minimised. Partly this was for the taste – it’s much harder to get the skin on wet fish to crisp – but mainly it was for longevity. Wet fish, both Hodges and Niland believe, typically has more bacteria and will also spoil more quickly.

“I feel like the fish shop that has fillets of fish draped over ice is just the most ludicrous thing ever,” says Niland. “I don’t get it. I don’t understand why someone is standing with a fire hose and re-spritzes the fish to make it look wet, because somehow that makes it feel more like its fresh and it’s out of the water. It’s absurd.”

His book just came out a couple months ago. But yeah. It's interesting to think about it for me especially, because often I can control the supply chain.

This discussion has been closed.