As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Game Awards: K is for my friendship with Kojima...

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    But seriously though, how could people actually make that Dark Alliance trailer and not realize how stupid and funny it looked?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well presumably they work in marketing

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Re Drizzt: Did I also mention that he is a good dark elf as opposed to every other dark elf, who are predisposed to evil?? Don't think about the racial politics of that too much though!!!

Or the gender politics, since the dark elves are an evil matriarchy and The One Good Drow is a dude!

For better or worse, I guess Drizzt is the closest D&D has to a recognizable "main character" with brand recognition so if you want to make a story thing with predefined characters I guess using him makes sense. Nobody's going to recognize, like, Robilar or Elminster or whoeverthefuck. Take away Drizzt from that trailer and it's basically just Generic Fantasy Game #27.

Oh Elminster, or Grandpa What Likes To Fuck

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    But seriously though, how could people actually make that Dark Alliance trailer and not realize how stupid and funny it looked?

My hope is that whoever made that trailer tried to make something that would have been sick as fuck in 2001.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Re Drizzt: Did I also mention that he is a good dark elf as opposed to every other dark elf, who are predisposed to evil?? Don't think about the racial politics of that too much though!!!

Or the gender politics, since the dark elves are an evil matriarchy and The One Good Drow is a dude!

For better or worse, I guess Drizzt is the closest D&D has to a recognizable "main character" with brand recognition so if you want to make a story thing with predefined characters I guess using him makes sense. Nobody's going to recognize, like, Robilar or Elminster or whoeverthefuck. Take away Drizzt from that trailer and it's basically just Generic Fantasy Game #27.

Oh Elminster, or Grandpa What Likes To Fuck

Grandpa What Likes To Fuck And Secretly Vacations On Earth And Writes Books About His Adventures

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is it better or worse that, so far at least, it seems like the island in New World doesn't actually have anyone native to that island living there

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hades should win

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Out of that list? Definitely

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Doom Eternal and Ghosts of Tsushima feel like "we have to have six options" picks that have no chance, but I couldn't say which of the remaining four is most likely to win this year. Normally I'd say TLOU2, but there might have been enough negative press to keep it from winning.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup snubbed once again that's fine though Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup will bury all you fuckers Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup will be there when your graves have been forgotten

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Hades gets my vote but also it's the only one I've played other than Animal Crossing, which is my wife's emphatic vote.
    I didn't think Doom Eternal really landed for folks as well as the first one did.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Having somehow not played any of the nominees this year...

I'm just going to predict VIIR wins because its VII.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I adore ff7r but yes Hades managed to pull off a story based rogue like while also being basically perfect mechanically. Hades should win.

Which is why they will select The Last of Us 2.

• Options
    It'll be either 7r or last of us 2 because those games had the biggest budgets.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would be so embarrassed if i made an indie game and it was nominated for game of the year

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup snubbed once again that's fine though Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup will bury all you fuckers Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup will be there when your graves have been forgotten

Have they finally gotten rid of Hydras? Hydras are the last bastion of the weird edge cases they have been sanding off towards creating the ultimate Pure Theory Anti-Nethack Roguelike.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Honestly it would be cool for animal crossing to win

Because a cute non violent relaxing little island game beating mostly hyper violent big budget action stuff is hilarious.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I...don't know...now that you mention it I don't think I've seen one for awhile

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hades rules, FFVIIR was a blast, and Animal Crossing has arguably had the biggest cultural impact of any game this year. I'd be okay with any of those three winning

I played like ten minutes of Doom Eternal before I turned it off, TLOU2 is actively repellant to me, and lmao at Ghosts of Tsushima making the cut.

• Options
    Game Awards were largely pretty good last year, aside from shutting out all timer Outer Wilds.

Sekiro was a fine choice for goty and Disco Elysium got a lot of recognition.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    given the length of this year i think every game is a winner

except for the war crimes games, those are bad.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Unfortunately I feel like 7R’s release timing will largely keep it out of the conversation.

Too many people will only remember wall market and enjoying it overall by this point since it’s been 15 years since March.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    god I forgot how unpopular Doom Eternal was until the nominations came out, it's kinda shocking honestly
    That game fucking rules and honestly it's a tossup for me between that and Hades (of course, those are also the only two on the list I played...), I'd probably give it to Hades due to the strength of it's narrative though.

• Options
    Doom Eternal is the game equivalent of an album bricked at maximum volume the whole time. It’s not bad, but it isn’t dynamic

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I would be pleasantly surprised if Hades wins, but I know deep down in my bones that TLoU2 is gonna win cause 2020 be like that.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Doom Eternal is a company making a fantastic game, thinking they're hot shit because of it, and then making a sequel with it's head ALL THE WAY up it's own ass as a result. I love Doom Eternal, but it's a very uncompromising game.

ID tripling down on the ridiculous lore stuff set up in 2016 and building a combat system that was a logical extension of the previous one, but tuned in such a way that you really have to play by id's rules or the game just does not work.

It's easy to see why it turned off so many, especially in comparison to 2016, where you could really fuck around and still progress, especially in the second half of the game.

Doom Eternal DID finally make me realize why people like super hard games, though. The game sings when you're firing on all cylinders.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i played sunset overdrive this year so that should win game of the year

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    hades yes i agree but really graveyard keeper

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    graveyard keeper released in 2018

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm playing ghost of tsushima right now and it's pretty good

if it's the best game that came out this year that says to me that everyone was saving all their best ideas for the next console generation

personally I liked doom eternal a lot more

Shorty on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    graveyard keeper released in 2018

don't you step to me young man

it wins every year

every. year.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Not sure why anyone would want to win 'Game of the Year 2020'

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm playing ghosts of tsushima right now and it's pretty good

if it's the best game that came out this year that says to me that everyone was saving all their best ideas for the next console generation

Ghosts of Tsushima is a perfectly serviceable Assassin’s Creedlike yeah

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I will say that it avoids a lot of the worst impulses of the genre, like too much junk on the map, but it's got a boring protagonist and only one of the side stories is at all interesting

the ishikawa story in particular is utter nonsense

also it continues to be weird that they hyped up the historicity of the game but just ignored that whenever it messed with people's expectations for the theme and setting

Shorty on
  • Options
    I will say that it avoids a lot of the worst impulses of the genre, like too much junk on the map, but it's got a boring protagonist and only one of the side stories is at all interesting

the ishikawa story in particular is utter nonsense

also it continues to be weird that they hyped up the historicity of the game but just ignored that whenever it messed with people's expectations for the theme and setting

I do wish that more collectathon type games had Super Mario Odyssey’s impulse towards limiting the non-gameplay time spent on objectives, because the biggest issue I had with Ghost of Tsushima was that the collectible items/objectives often took an excessive amount of tedious faux-platforming to reach

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    yeah the climbing in this game is Not Good

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    milski wrote: »
    I'm playing ghosts of tsushima right now and it's pretty good

Ghosts of Tsushima is a perfectly serviceable Assassin’s Creedlike yeah

Ghost of Tsushima should absolutely win an award for 'Game I Spent The Least Time Looking At a Loading Screen'. Seriously, that game was a technical marvel for data streaming. As a preview for next gen load times, it's a strong one.

Doom Eternal's biggest flaw is the god damned purple goo. It's an anti-fun design choice.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I'd probably go with Animal Crossing from that list, even if I burned out on it really hard. Hades should be winning everything else it's nominated in though and it's not even close.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm a little surprised that Logan Cunningham got a best performance nomination for Hades, but Darren Korb didn't get one for Zagreus.