As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[New World] Where we ask the REAL questions! Like, "What is Launch?"

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Realizing there's nothing built in to cause the top two factions to fight each other rather than keep picking on the most beat up faction.

This is especially true early on when they can both simply expand into unclaimed zones. I don't think the number of guilds wanting to run an outpost will actually exceed the number of areas available on most servers. I don't even really pay attention to it.

All the faction chat crowdfunding to own a territory for no reason seems pretty stupid, but I'm glad someone is having fun with it. There's no resources scarcity or anything and the scheduled battles 'wars' or whatever don't harm my experience in any way.

Might even be fun to participate in someday. I'm the lowest population faction on my server and it means nothing.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Realizing there's nothing built in to cause the top two factions to fight each other rather than keep picking on the most beat up faction.

This is especially true early on when they can both simply expand into unclaimed zones. I don't think the number of guilds wanting to run an outpost will actually exceed the number of areas available on most servers. I don't even really pay attention to it.

given the server population cap, I'm willing to bet that it was exactly their goal to keep the servers small enough so that the demand for territory ownership wasn't so overwhelming that the map just gets locked out by X number of dominant groups

once the game cools off I imagine that each server might have a few solidly held territories that take all of the controlling groups key efforts to maintain... and the rest of the map will be in a constant state of churn from smaller actors...

this is how eve works when the game isn't broken, and if new world does this correctly then it should be a good goal to have and will keep groups of all sizes engaged and feeling like they have a stake in the game

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

All the faction chat crowdfunding to own a territory for no reason seems pretty stupid, but I'm glad someone is having fun with it. There's no resources scarcity or anything and the scheduled battles 'wars' or whatever don't harm my experience in any way.

Might even be fun to participate in someday. I'm the lowest population faction on my server and it means nothing.

On my server my faction is going to lose our last territory tomorrow.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Was anyone else in queue and then got unceremoniously booted out of it?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    3rd night in, i continue to be impressed. i finally got to go to some other zones and do some quests "far from home"

what i really need to do this weekend is figure out how to make the ice gauntlet fun, or drop it for something else

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It's kind of funny that AWS, the world's top provider of scalable infra, couldn't scale their MMO that fast.

Early on they really banged the big drum about AWS and cloud compute and scaling infrastructure and stuff. We'll see what they actually do with it.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    It's kind of funny that AWS, the world's top provider of scalable infra, couldn't scale their MMO that fast.

Early on they really banged the big drum about AWS and cloud compute and scaling infrastructure and stuff. We'll see what they actually do with it.

I mean, clearly nothing new. If there was any magic in doing this serverless somehow they'd have done it already.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Bought the game last night and have been having fun.

Playing a Healer and I have developed an opinion on something. I feel that Light Armor is a trap for Healers.

"I wanna be a healer! Oh video game history has taught me that I should wear Light Armor if I am a Healer!"

That is the trap.

I am firmly of the mind that you want to wear Heavy Armor. You are a healer, you are away from the fighting and rarely need to dodge, but when the fighting comes to you need to stay where you are until the Tank takes aggro again. Heavy Armor helps a ton with that. Even out of groups it is fabulous. I can drop Sacred Ground and face tank 3-4 enemies and literally heal faster than they can hurt me. Plus with various traits you can keep it up near indefinitely.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I think they need to either reimplement staggering of enemies, give enemies more windup, or keep them from tracking with their attacks. Preferably 2 of the 3.
    Axen wrote: »

Playing a Healer and I have developed an opinion on something. I feel that Light Armor is a trap for Healers.

"I wanna be a healer! Oh video game history has taught me that I should wear Light Armor if I am a Healer!"

That is the trap.

I am firmly of the mind that you want to wear Heavy Armor. You are a healer, you are away from the fighting and rarely need to dodge, but when the fighting comes to you need to stay where you are until the Tank takes aggro again. Heavy Armor helps a ton with that. Even out of groups it is fabulous. I can drop Sacred Ground and face tank 3-4 enemies and literally heal faster than they can hurt me. Plus with various traits you can keep it up near indefinitely.
    I've been going light armor with my character and I largely feel that, the way the game is currently set up, it's a trap in general. It is difficult to consistently dodge and evade enemy attacks, their attacks are often difficult to predict and/or track you when you move (unless you move at exactly the right time) even with light armor you can dodge precisely twice in a row then you need to wait for all of your stamina to build up to full before you can do it again, enemies can stagger you out of attacks and abilities but you can't do the same to them. Often even when I'm trying my best to do skirmish type gameplay, it comes down to a slugging match if I'm using any kind of melee weapon.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I think they need to either reimplement staggering of enemies, give enemies more windup, or keep them from tracking with their attacks. Preferably 2 of the 3.
    Axen wrote: »

That is the trap.

I've been going light armor with my character and I largely feel that, the way the game is currently set up, it's a trap in general. It is difficult to consistently dodge and evade enemy attacks, their attacks are often difficult to predict and/or track you when you move (unless you move at exactly the right time) even with light armor you can dodge precisely twice in a row then you need to wait for all of your stamina to build up to full before you can do it again, enemies can stagger you out of attacks and abilities but you can't do the same to them. Often even when I'm trying my best to do skirmish type gameplay, it comes down to a slugging match if I'm using any kind of melee weapon.

Now that I think about it, yeah, I agree. At first I was like, "Well you can dodge more often with Light Armor" but no. You can dodge the same amount as Heavy Armor. Sure you dodge further in Light Armor, but so far anyway, the dodge in Heavy Armor has been far enough for me. When it works.

Wait, is there any reason to not be wearing Heavy Armor? The only thing I can think of is that it is heavier, but inventory weight hasn't been an issue for me. I've been doing a lot of mining (and making mad money) and I've not yet been overweight.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Equipment you are wearing doesn't contribute to inventory weight I don't think.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Equipment you are wearing doesn't contribute to inventory weight I don't think.

You are correct!

The game tells me that;

Light Armor: 20% bonus to Damage and Healing
    Medium Armor: 10% bonus to Damage and Healing and Crowd Control last 10% longer.
    Heavy Armor: 15% bonus to Block Stability and Crowd Control last 20% longer.

Which sounds like it would be worth it. Personally I haven't seen it.

My options from what little (totally not scientific) tests I've done is "Wear Heavy Armor and take 12 dmg from regular attacks or wear Light Armor and take 61 dmg from regular attacks." My Healing would be better, but so far it has been perfectly fine in keeping myself and others alive.

With Heavy Armor and my Life Staff Mastery I literally can't die unless I really get dogpiled by enemies in PvE. PvP is likely a different beast, but again I think Heavy Armor would be the way to go considering you are fighting other Players with robust abilities that almost certainly will hit you regardless of what you do.

• Options
    Annnnd the Syndicate has officially lost all territory on my server. D'oh.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I mean, clearly nothing new. If there was any magic in doing this serverless somehow they'd have done it already.

I think it’s hilariously backwards in server tech actually. Which is even more fun given AWS.

Really low client cap for the genre. Zero sharding, the houses are instances but nothing else right. And then 200+ discrete servers.

Their scaling is starting up and manually adding more discrete servers to the server list.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    w
    Honk wrote: »

I think it’s hilariously backwards in server tech actually. Which is even more fun given AWS.

Really low client cap for the genre. Zero sharding, the houses are instances but nothing else right. And then 200+ discrete servers.

Their scaling is starting up and manually adding more discrete servers to the server list.

Agreed. It's frankly embarrassing for AWS.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Starting new servers helps full servers not at all. I need them to add capacity to mine, not try to get me to start all goddamn over again on a new server. Especially not when the new one will get full too.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    My entire guild are gutted that we've lost our last territory and have no wars to take more. It's fascinating that there's no balance mechanics for underdog factions

Seems simple enough to do things like deprecate the benefit of taking more territories than X and making it very expensive to attack the last territory of a faction or something.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

I feel like sharding would be catastrophically bad for what you want from New World.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    We had a guild claim the first territory for Syndicate. They then hiked the price of creating items in their territory to the max (300% or 3x normal). When people complained they told them to fuck off, the taxes were paying for our stuff and we should be honored they're helping add stuff to the city. The rest of the syndicate then said its bullshit taxes and stopped crafting in the city and stopped defending it. The guild that owned it then told everyone else to fuck off, they could defend the city by themselves and they didnt need us.

Needless to say they were the first guild to claim territory, and the first guild to lose a war and lose territory. Badly. Now they're yelling at the rest of the faction calling them all scared, and random offensive names.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    We had a guild claim the first territory for Syndicate. They then hiked the price of creating items in their territory to the max (300% or 3x normal). When people complained they told them to fuck off, the taxes were paying for our stuff and we should be honored they're helping add stuff to the city. The rest of the syndicate then said its bullshit taxes and stopped crafting in the city and stopped defending it. The guild that owned it then told everyone else to fuck off, they could defend the city by themselves and they didnt need us.

Needless to say they were the first guild to claim territory, and the first guild to lose a war and lose territory. Badly. Now they're yelling at the rest of the faction calling them all scared, and random offensive names.
    This sort of stuff was, to me, the most interesting part of the game.

It really depends on very generous server populations - which is very obviously the current condition - and a general lack of "balance" - which, is also true because the game is still very "new" and most players haven't figured out the optimal paths yet. It will be interesting to see how sustainable it is, and how long it takes to collapse into a static state.

26904.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

This is honestly the most interesting thing anyone's said about this game yet.

(Aside from the offensive names. Amazon needs to shut that shit down, but they won't.)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    From what I was seeing watching some streamers who were controlling territory, even low taxes with sufficient territory activity generates a significant cash flow for the controlling guild (as well as pressure to "attract" people to certain territories by focusing on upgrading certain crafting stations that might not be prevalent elsewhere). So there does seem to be some element of economic consideration that comes with territory flipping.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    is the gathering and crafting kind of separate from the combat in this? is it more like ff14 where you level job classes for crafting, or more like wow where you just have professions but everything is primarily based on combat? because from watching streams, the combat looks boring af.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    ok actually got to play the release version of the game
    joined some random low pop no queue server (dindymon). seems like it was probably recently created, possibly today. when i started no territory had been claimed by any factions/companies. decided to run around flagged since i hadn't done any pvp in the open beta
    not a ton of people around and very few were flagged for pvp.
    just running away seems like a very strong option. if you don't have a DoT on you you can heal, basically lose no speed, and heal incredibly quickly because you get full heal from food. i had people run away from me and i was chasing throwing spears and it felt like even when i hit the spear throw and it knocked them down, i didn't actually gain on them at all. but its probable this is a fixable problem because i was running double melee (rapier/spear) and the answer is just run a ranged weapon with a slow, or possibly to do faction pvp quests where people won't want to run.

pvp felt very bursty (i basically 100%-0'd a couple people, because spear can vault kick (stun, which goes through grit), sweep knockdown and throw spear knockdown) and also not very good. part of this is i'm using rapier's grace tree, evade and riposte, so i actually want to see what my opponents are doing. its a little rough in pve because enemy light attacks have basically no tell, and even some of their grit attacks are basically instant, and in pvp it feels worse because there's more desync between your opponent's animations and what they are actually doing, and all of the player attacks are very fast because slow attacks would make the game feel sluggish and unresponsive. i am pretty surprised people seem so enthused about the pvp - i guess i enjoyed it, and i've never been one to pvp before, but idk people are salivating over it in a way i don't understand

i had no problem clowning on people a few levels above me, and i had basically no idea what any of the numbers meant at any time (and while most of the ability tooltips list weapon damage% dealt, not all of them do...). what is block stability? some kind of modifier to how much stamina per damage blocking costs? what is armor rating actually because i ran light armor and did not feel squishier than my opponents, but there's huge variance between the armor ratings on light and heavy armor so is the armor rating heavy armor gains in line with the 20% damage buff that light armor gets? what is gear score and why does it seem to just look at the raw damage numbers and not account for any stats listed on the gear when those stats can straight forwardly increase the damage?

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    is the gathering and crafting kind of separate from the combat in this? is it more like ff14 where you level job classes for crafting, or more like wow where you just have professions but everything is primarily based on combat? because from watching streams, the combat looks boring af.

You gather/craft something, relevant skill goes up. Various resources require a minimum amount of skill to gather.

So it's tied to combat as much as resources vary between zones so you'd need to at least be relevantly strong enough for the particular zone.

Characters
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Apparently lots more reports of this bricking high end 3000 series video cards again, with the same crazy ramp the fans up to 100% FPS spike. Some people are tying it to the menus and changing graphics settings but nothing confirmed yet. It's not just EVGA this time either, and not just 3090's.

Sooooo as a 3090 owner I'm probably out until Amazon or Nvidia address this in some way. No game is worth risking my nearly impossible to replace card over.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Is it only the 3000 series? I have a 2000 series that I was a bit worried about, but was unsure if it's only affecting specific lines of cards.

Characters
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yes, only 3000 series that I am aware of, and mostly only the very high end ones (mostly 3090's and 3080 Tis). Apparently some 3080's and lower have had the 100% fan/black screen issue, but they aren't bricking.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    made a new character and went hammers and... yes... the hammer is amazing and this is what i am doing now.

• Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    ok actually got to play the release version of the game
    joined some random low pop no queue server (dindymon). seems like it was probably recently created, possibly today. when i started no territory had been claimed by any factions/companies. decided to run around flagged since i hadn't done any pvp in the open beta
    not a ton of people around and very few were flagged for pvp.
    just running away seems like a very strong option. if you don't have a DoT on you you can heal, basically lose no speed, and heal incredibly quickly because you get full heal from food. i had people run away from me and i was chasing throwing spears and it felt like even when i hit the spear throw and it knocked them down, i didn't actually gain on them at all. but its probable this is a fixable problem because i was running double melee (rapier/spear) and the answer is just run a ranged weapon with a slow, or possibly to do faction pvp quests where people won't want to run.

FWIW, Dindymon was launched thursday (9/30) but didn't really start to get populated until late friday/early saturday. I've been playing on it since it launched just cause there was no queue. It looks like the top Marauders and Syndicates companies held a summit of some sort and divvied up the map, with an agreement that only Covies would be warred on. The last 2 days has been nothing but faction spam begging for "donations" to help the lead company afford buying a town. As of last night Green and Purple had each claimed one town, but dropped taxes to minimum.

Also, for those nearing on 20, just a heads up. The "upgrade to rank 2 faction" quest has a bug. The journal says 20 but you can't actually do it till 24.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Having not played the game during the week and getting some time in on the weekends, I love that there is no incentive for me to dedicate daily time to the game and that I can play it at my own leisure. One of the things I hate about FF (and other MMO's of it's ilk) is that feeling of wasting money if you don't jump in at least once a day for an hour or so and do something. I'm sure dailies will come in (if they aren't already, still only level 15) but at the moment it is a nice relaxing experience. . .chopping down young trees and occasionally killing a zombie.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Having not played the game during the week and getting some time in on the weekends, I love that there is no incentive for me to dedicate daily time to the game and that I can play it at my own leisure. One of the things I hate about FF (and other MMO's of it's ilk) is that feeling of wasting money if you don't jump in at least once a day for an hour or so and do something. I'm sure dailies will come in (if they aren't already, still only level 15) but at the moment it is a nice relaxing experience. . .chopping down young trees and occasionally killing a zombie.

The only daily stuff I know is that three quests are worth double XP a day (meh) and if your faction owns a town then once a day you can get a paltry free resource pull. Neither is really worth planning you're day around.

• Options
    I've been travelling the land making money on some very nice trade routes.

I find myself being concerned with tax rates and crafting fees and watching the markets to see what level resources are in demand.

So imagine my surprise when I found out this game has combat of all things!

The market is interesting to me. I've found that selling (at least green gear) is, eeeh, not that worth it. Resources are where it is at but the value of those resources can vary wildly depending on the region. I've been through some settlements where the markets were all but empty. Others where things that are dirt cheap just next door sell for five to six times more.

• Options
    Got to the first town in my must be newly spun up server. No territories claimed.

Was encumbered halfway to town after all of the gathering.

This game is great.

Characters
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So apparently I got the deluxe version for free. I got an email with my Steam key last week. Apparently, I "preordered" this for $0.00 from Amazon back in 2016 and forgot about it. What's funny is I thought about buying it before it came out on Steam and then took a pass.

Did anyone else experience that?

Anyway, what server are you all on?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    So apparently I got the deluxe version for free. I got an email with my Steam key last week. Apparently, I "preordered" this for $0.00 from Amazon back in 2016 and forgot about it. What's funny is I thought about buying it before it came out on Steam and then took a pass.

Did anyone else experience that?

Anyway, what server are you all on?

Pick one with no queues. The server transfers are in a week or so and everyone is probably gonna mix it up after.

• Options
    I'm not particularly wedded to my server and would have no problem transferring to a different one.

I don't think there is enough of us to really form a solid Company and that's fine. Just getting those of us fellow PAers who don't care what server they're on on the same server would still be fun. Regardless of Company or Faction.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing the hell out of this game. I’m on the SEA server, so probably not going to get in with you fine folks. We had an excellent ~200 vs ~200 brawl on Sunday night for our city. It was only the first the stage of the invasion, but both sides were eager to pvp so we showed up in force. It was hilariously good fun

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Any tips on making the sword and shield skill 'Leaping Strike' hit? It seems it misses around 80% of the time for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    First serious cheating has been spotted. Factions have had access to some sort of exploit that allows them to glitch influence bars to declare war ~5x faster than normal.