As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] let's just stay here for a moment

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Maybe they can hand it off to another studio for the final three seasons :P

I expect they'll skip the time jump and have a very different ending than the books.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm completely okay with that. Honestly I felt everything post time skip, while cool, was another entire series.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Maybe they can hand it off to another studio for the final three seasons :P

I expect they'll skip the time jump

and have a very different ending than the books.

Waiting for the "AND NOW TWO FEATURE FILMS" announcement before s6.

• Options
    Also I really love Cas's performance of Alex and I hate that we lose that because he had to be an asshole.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm actually totally okay with the series ending on S6 instead of spinning out into all of the stuff I have zero interest in. They've already done an excellent job of fixing virtually everything from the books that turned me off from the books in the first place, so knowing that the series will have a defined end and they can write for that makes me a happy camper.

In fact, this may be the first ever good live-action TV series I've watched that gets to have a known stopping point instead of running so long it winds down into a shadow of itself, passed off, cancelled, cancelled/uncancelled in a way that ruins the last season, or forced to rely on making a movie to provide any kind of closure.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So I guess that means no
    Laconia
    at all?

I really thought Amazon had committed to see this through to the end.

Through current book spoilers re yours:
    I think that is right - I don't see how they introduce Laconia now. I don't even know that the Transport Union stuff will make an appearance either. Marcos now becomes the final big bad. This avoids the time skip plus figuring out how to display the protobuilder killers and that subsequent thread in book 9 which could admittedly get pretty weird.

Still hype for next season but I can't help but be dissapointed.

Edit: my brother just recommended they pick it back up in XX years to accurately reflect the time jump. I am totally on board with that and/or the movie option.

swaylow on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I'm actually totally okay with the series ending on S6 instead of spinning out into all of the stuff I have zero interest in. They've already done an excellent job of fixing virtually everything from the books that turned me off from the books in the first place, so knowing that the series will have a defined end and they can write for that makes me a happy camper.

In fact, this may be the first ever good live-action TV series I've watched that gets to have a known stopping point instead of running so long it winds down into a shadow of itself, passed off, cancelled, cancelled/uncancelled in a way that ruins the last season, or forced to rely on making a movie to provide any kind of closure.

Go watch Halt and Catch Fire, and try not to cringe at the "game of thrones but tech" sex stuff in the first episode. It's worth it.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    People ask, "why no robots like Star Wars in the Expanse?"

Answer, we have many smart robots, they just look like gun turrets.

There's lots of AI in our stories. Just none that acts like humans.

I had a moment of imaging that the PDC turrets were the only AI in the Expanse and it reminded me of Schlock's "smart" torpedoes.

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-07-21

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Edit: waay to slow.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm completely okay with that. Honestly I felt everything post time skip, while cool, was another entire series.

There's a loooot that's unresolved at the end of book 6. That being said, it's not a bad place to stop.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Season 6 of the show isn't really going to hew to book six at all; if they're ending it after 6 then it'll be a reasonable if not significant departure from the arc of the books by then. Hell, probably the middle of season 5 at worst is going to divert from book 5.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    If they're stopping at season 6, I bet they clean up the entire Free Navy arc in season 5 instead of spreading it out over 2 seasons like the books. Then that leaves the last season to clean up the protomolecule/protokillers and skip the time skip.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    If they're stopping before the Laconia arc... then what's the motivation for Duarte's mutiny, which equips the Free Navy?

sig.gif
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that the press release didn't mention the episode count. If we get, like, 16 or so, you could do both the Laconia arc and whatever the endgame ends up being.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    If they're stopping at season 6, I bet they clean up the entire Free Navy arc in season 5 instead of spreading it out over 2 seasons like the books. Then that leaves the last season to clean up the protomolecule/protokillers and skip the time skip.

They mentioned that season 5 is only going to cover Nemesis Games.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't think they're going to be condensing the last 3 books to fit the final season. I imagine it'll end pretty much as Book 6 did, which felt plenty final on its own.

S6 spoilers
    so I don't think the TV show is going to feature much in the way of a resolution to the Romans and Goths storyline at all, beyond it being the way they destroy the Free Navy. I bet the Laconian exodus will still happen, but the railgun defenses on Medina trained on their Gate will seem more absolute than they actually are. That storyline can feel resolved right up until it isn't.

Maybe in 2030 we'll see an Expanse movie trilogy for the rest. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

They mentioned that season 5 is only going to cover Nemesis Games.

Uh, they said it would also have some of Babylon's Ashes.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I don't think they're going to be condensing the last 3 books to fit the final season. I imagine it'll end pretty much as Book 6 did, which felt plenty final on its own.

S6 spoilers
    so I don't think the TV show is going to feature much in the way of a resolution to the Romans and Goths storyline at all, beyond it being the way they destroy the Free Navy. I bet the Laconian exodus will still happen, but the railgun defenses on Medina trained on their Gate will seem more absolute than they actually are. That storyline can feel resolved right up until it isn't.

Maybe in 2030 we'll see an Expanse movie trilogy for the rest. ;P

I don't know if this was from somewhere else, but my friend had an interesting theory (pure speculation about season 6 vs. end of books):
    We don't think that they will do the whole Laconian thing, except maybe drop a few hints that its out there. As its been said before book 6 has plenty in the way of "finale" in it so wrap up the series well.

My friend thought that it'd give the series creators more freedom if they do decide to finish the books to setup a spin-off/sequel series where instead of the rather ham-handed (imo) time-skip from the books, that we follow a different crew as they handle the Laconian threat. They'd still be able to put Holden, Naomi, Drummer, etc. in positions of power (e.g. head of the spacers guild for Drummer).

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Hopefully this shows the original intent of the books, as the developed story for a game, sees the success of the books and show, and realizes that intent should be revisited. Already have a table top book sitting in front of me that suggests there is potential for continuing this entertainment in game form:

Spoilered for image size? Didn't check, just being safe
    GRR6601_600_1024x1024.jpg?v=1551720277

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Yeah the end of six is honestly a great end point. That makes a lot of sense

• Options
    A S5E1 clip!

https://youtu.be/_NIUZl3kqC4
    that's some fresh exposition for something I kinda assumed wouldn't be getting much coverage if they're not adapting Books 7-9...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Here comes the juice: the first 3 episodes of S5 are now up on Prime! Go!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Very early E1spoilers:
    Amos stealing Murtry's old gear bag and crossing his name out is some of the most succinct visual storytelling I've seen in a while.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Here comes the juice: the first 3 episodes of S5 are now up on Prime! Go!

oh I do have something to do tonight.

Excellent!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Very early E1spoilers:
    Amos stealing Murtry's old gear bag and crossing his name out is some of the most succinct visual storytelling I've seen in a while.
    And then the look in his eyes as he smashes that belters head in the shower

Do. Not. Ever. EVER. Fuck with Amos

• Options
    This show is so pretty in HDR on an OLED

I didn't specifically consider The Expanse when I bought my new TV but as it turns out a show set in outer space featuring harsh edged light lines and stark black colors is a pretty great utilization of the tech

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I watched the first two epsiodes last night. So hyped. I'm a book reader, so I know whats coming and its lovely to see the slow burn.

Also, Amos and Avasarala was a great scene. That a smooth line! I think it almost worked.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Up to episode 3.

Man I love Drummer. Such a badass.

• Options
    Episode 3
    for fuck's sake Alex. I know he thinks it's impossible to repeat, but yo he just told Laconia how to make Laconia happen.

They altered the asteroid strike in the trailer! Had it streaking across the sky, and I didn't like it, felt too slow. That wasn't in the show itself, liked that much better. Just blink, boom.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I thought that would have burned a bit slower, but whew! Can't wait until next week!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shoot every single scene of Amos and Avarasala directly into my veins.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    S5E1
    Nice of them to show us her son is irredeemable right away.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Just finished episode 2. My favourite exchange was definitely
    Holden: There was a button, I pressed it.
    Fred: Jesus, that's really just how you go through life, isn't it?

Amos's stuff was excellent.

I'm so happy this show is back.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I rewatched season 4 and the start of season 5. (I've heard their are improvements for Bobby's story compared to the books, but she may be my favorite character as a result. That's a hard choice with Drummer and Ashford around.)

All the Season 5 plots seem great even though the story seems to have forked even more than season 4's occasional 6-way fork. S5 also continues to increase my dislike of Naomi.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Episode 3
    Naomi hasn't learned to lock doors it seems. They could have at least had her tricked.

And no real clue who Amos was going to see before the rock hit.

• Options
    They're probably going to start episode four with an Amos bit that should have been seen before the end of episode 3, but I guess they ran out of minutes

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Eeeep, I didn't notice this was back! Hooray!

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    They're probably going to start episode four with an Amos bit that should have been seen before the end of episode 3, but I guess they ran out of minutes

I felt like humming "never split the party" waching Ep1 and 2. I'm sure that played merry hell with figuring out how to film and fit it all in.

• Options
    S5E4
    fuck! That episode was relentless.

Killing Fred off early was unexpected.

They seem to have toned down the devastation of the asteroid strikes - each was 300 kilotons rather than a giga/teraton each.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    man this series is kind of going off the rails for me, I always hate it when villains win because everyone else adopts extreme incompetence, and on top of that, the villains get immense unexpected resources
    like, some stealth composites? sure. Weapons? why not.

A fleet of top of the line warships? And a genocidal conspiracy to take over the solar system that must have involved half the goddamn belt and nobody knew of it?

hahahahaha what? this is Star Wars Episode 9 level dumb

and Fred Johnson hiding a fuckin doomsday weapon IN HIS BEDROOM

override367 on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My brother and I came up with a drinking game last night, "drink every time Holden inserts himself into a situation unnecessarily" which ended up being every scene he's in.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART