As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    They were very concerned that people would assume that Spock's pining for Chris

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Remember the ridiculous lengths they had to go to in Star Trek to establish that there's no gay fiddling on the Enterprise among the main cast

Wait for real? That's a shame, if there's any sci-fi setting where I just assume everyone's banging everyone, it's the utopian Star Trek

I mean, Deep Space Nine is right there.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I wouldn't know! I haven't watched nearly as much Star Trek as I would like

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Captain Kirk presided over a wedding of two of his crew one time

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I've been completely unable to get into any trek series except DS9, I really like that show

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I started with TOS, and I enjoyed what I watched of it! I just fell off it and haven't started it up again

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Platy wrote: »
    Remember the ridiculous lengths they had to go to in Star Trek to establish that there's no gay fiddling on the Enterprise among the main cast

Wait for real? That's a shame, if there's any sci-fi setting where I just assume everyone's banging everyone, it's the utopian Star Trek

I haven’t heard this story but there were a lot of really embarrassing fights the higher-ups picked when it came to representation. The famous one is in TNG an alien from a non-gender race decided she was a woman and starts dating Riker. Guinine talks with her about sexuality and love and originally it mentioned the possibility of being gay but someone on the chain nixed it. Whoopi apparently pushed back on it and was able to get a small concession of instead of saying “when a man loves a woman” instead saying “when two people love each other” or something. Star Trek: Progress is not actively excluding you.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options

I've been completely unable to get into any trek series except DS9, I really like that show

That’s pretty shocking! I’d have thought you’d be turned off by how relatively cynical it can get sometimes.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

That’s pretty shocking! I’d have thought you’d be turned off by how relatively cynical it can get sometimes.

I found ds9 to be largely optimistic with a dose of pragmatism

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    cursedking wrote: »
    palpatine is her grandpa palpatine is her pop pop

that's the big idea, that's what was on the whiteboard and someone said yeah great one there JJ, perfect

Yeah, I was hoping that, if they were gonna do something dumb, it would at least be ridiculous dumb. Like, Rey is a reverse gender clone of Palpatine who was created to 'awaken' in the event of the Emperor's death, and Snoke was a second, secret apprentice of Palpatine who was supposed to find Palpy's clone and train them, but then Snoke was like, fuck it, I get to be in charge now. And then at the end, after defeating another back-up emergency Palpy-clone, Rey time travels to the past and becomes the first Skywalker. That sort of bonkers, anime bullshit.

Ah well, what can ya do.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options

In many ways Nog is embracing the early TNG ideal of striving to better himself, and it pays off. Poor dumb Harry.

Back on topic, isn't it weird that the bombshell that "Hey Palpatine's alive" was dropped only in the opening text scroll? That feels like something you announce right after an opening action scene to set the stakes.

• Options

In many ways Nog is embracing the early TNG ideal of striving to better himself, and it pays off. Poor dumb Harry.

Back on topic, isn't it weird that the bombshell that "Hey Palpatine's alive" was dropped only in the opening text scroll? That feels like something you announce right after an opening action scene to set the stakes.

I think it’s weirder that they don’t seem to provide any explanation for his return or apparently why he has a granddaughter.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

I think it’s weirder that they don’t seem to provide any explanation for his return or apparently why he has a granddaughter.

Because his son loved someone, duh.

I'll let someone else post the Hermes clip.

• Options
    It's like JJ Abrams saw Rian Johnson kill Snoke without explaining who he was and went "Oh, phew, that gives me license to do whatever I want with no explanation"

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    It's like JJ Abrams saw Rian Johnson kill Snoke without explaining who he was and went "Oh, phew, that gives me license to do whatever I want with no explanation"

Yeah, but, like, Kylo immediately steps in and takes over while Hux is obviously unhappy about it and would totally have murdered Kylo if he thought he could get away with it.

There's absolutely some potential there for fun, perhaps even interesting, stories. But instead Palpatine's back. Apparently. Somehow.

• Options
    Oh you don't have to tell me twice, I was psyched about a Star Wars trilogy ending with "what if Vader had become the Emperor"

But, alas

• Options

Yeah, but, like, Kylo immediately steps in and takes over while Hux is obviously unhappy about it and would totally have murdered Kylo if he thought he could get away with it.

There's absolutely some potential there for fun, perhaps even interesting, stories. But instead Palpatine's back. Apparently. Somehow.

Palpantine could have worked. They just seem to have steered away from anything that arguably could have already been set up. It’s maddening.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the palpatine thing is still infuriating to me and i can't put my finger on it

it's just so transparently "this is the toy i wanted to play with"

i don't even have a huge like for star wars

this shouldn't bother me so much!!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    The fucked up thing is that they kind of did set up some weird Emperor shit, back in the run-up to TFA

A lot of the books and things that came out around then talked about the Emperor finding that there was some weird shit in the Unknown Regions, which at the time everyone thought was a hint as to who/what Snoke was

I seem to remember there also being some talk of Jakku being important to the Empire, like they were protecting something there? But that could be me misremembering something

It seems like at some point there was some very open ended setup for the Emperor being obsessed with some secret thing, but instead of doing anything interesting with that it was just "He found a way to be immortal or something"

• Options
    Like I said earlier if you want to go that route there is plenty in the last 8 movies to give us Palpantine returned give Rey a direct connection to him. Its infuriating because the obvious route would also have let Rey be a nobody in most of the ways that matter.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    It really feels like JJ Abrams said "Fuck The Last Jedi, that one didn't happen" and no one stopped him

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Part of me hopes JJ had a variation of the Fyre Festival "Fuck it, let's be legends" moment.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Is Hux even in this?

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    It really feels like JJ Abrams said "Fuck The Last Jedi, that one didn't happen" and no one stopped him

I want to say "it feels less like he's rejecting TLJ and more like he's ignoring it", but that doesn't feel right either. Words are hard.

• Options
    Is Hux even in this?

My understanding is yes, and he ends up turning traitor to take down Kylo Ren and gets executed for it

Which is one of the few things I think actually totally works

• Options
    Attributing any singular decision to Abrams in this movie is probably a mistake. Im sure he fucked up enough things alone but I bet people were breathing down his throat for a lot of it. For example even if he didn't vibe with TLJ I doubt it was his choice to de-emphasize Rose like that. I'd bet that was a higher up decision. Im also going to guess that he decided not to put Rey and Finn together but someone probably demanded Finn have a new love interest to try to put a stop to the PoexFinn ship.

Ha like that would work.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Is Hux even in this?

My understanding is yes, and he ends up turning traitor to take down Kylo Ren and gets executed for it

Which is one of the few things I think actually totally works

Yeah, it was a genuine surprise at first, but then "oh yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense".

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    He's got a couple of alright scenes.

But, he's also pretty superfluous because of Richard E. Grant / would't work for what they needed Grant for, so they give him an okay, if somewhat cliché, exit.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can’t believe the only character story I’ve heard that sounds interesting is for the nazi

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StempyStempy Registered User regular
    About three quarters into the film, I couldn’t shake the feeling that the movie it most reminded me of was Superman v Batman. Just a handful of great moments held together buy some of the laziest writing I can recall.

When the started playing the actual theme music I thought it might just pull off the ending, but everything with Rey and grampa Sheev fell flat. I find myself hating film this more and more. Is this what TLJ haters feel like?

I will say though, Adam Driver is just phenomenal in this. He totally sells what he’s going though. Mostly without dialogue as well.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Stempy wrote: »
    About three quarters into the film, I couldn’t shake the feeling that the movie it most reminded me of was Superman v Batman. Just a handful of great moments held together buy some of the laziest writing I can recall.

Chris Terrio cowrote both films

• Options
    Stempy wrote: »

Chris Terrio cowrote both films

And Argo And basically nothing else? I don’t understand how screenwriting works man.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I can’t believe the only character story I’ve heard that sounds interesting is for the nazi

It's really not.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    so in order of how much I liked them
    1. rogue one
    2. empire strikes back
    3. a new hope
    4. the force awakens
    5. return of the jedi
    6. revenge of the sith
    7. attack of the clones
    8. rise of skywalker
    9. the last jedi
    10. the phantom menace

haven't seen solo

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I’ve slept on this and my next day take is that Hux’s plot arc was the most hilarious thing in this movie.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Haha! I forgot the Batman versus Superman guy co wrote this! That is very funny and seems like it should be hard to forget!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I’ve slept on this and my next day take is that Hux’s plot arc was the most hilarious thing in this movie.

Hux's final arc across the room was also very good

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    the progression of kylo and rey's force skype calls to what they are in this film was pretty good

pity it's not in a better film

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I love that Palps just never learned the first time, with the whole getting his force lighting yeeted right back into his own face thing