As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I love that Palps just never learned the first time, with the whole getting his force lighting yeeted right back into his own face thing

I have read the summary like 3 times just to stare at the paragraph about this and be like how is that how they do him

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I’m guessing as someone who thinks Palpatine is a great villain that I will be disappointed in this movie

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I’m guessing as someone who thinks Palpatine is a great villain that I will be disappointed in this movie

oh absolutely

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I do not have faith that JJ Abrams or the Batman versus Superman guy have a solid grip on the essential joi de vivre of Emperor Palpatine

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    palps doesn't even feel like he's having fun

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am surprised they didnt throw him down a shaft again, like fuck it dogg why not toss the old bastard back down the well

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I read the spoilers ahead of time but am still going to see the movie tonight. It sounds like complete madness, and how it reads in a synopsis ain't exactly how it plays out on screen. It may be the dumbest bullshit ever, but I'm sure as soon as Palps raises the roof and shows off his dark fleet while cackling madly I will be spoons in.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I love that Palps just never learned the first time, with the whole getting his force lighting yeeted right back into his own face thing

I have read the summary like 3 times just to stare at the paragraph about this and be like how is that how they do him

well he can't get done with a lightsaber because he does a whole big speech about how he is the personification of all the sith and if rey kills him all the sith will possess her etc

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Or the whole "let me tell you why giving into your hatred is good for my plans actually" thing.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

On the bright side, he does say "do it"

• Options
    Like maybe your plan would work better if you actually Briar Patched a little.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Does also set up a trap with a huge and fatal flaw?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

He is so far removed from what made him such a good villain in previous movies that I found it absurdly easy to divorce this representation of him completely. That said, yeah, you’re not gonna like what they do to him.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Or the whole "let me tell you why giving into your hatred is good for my plans actually" thing.

That entire sequence confused the shit out of me, actually, and I don’t really care to try to untangle it.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Does also set up a trap with a huge and fatal flaw?

ehhh? I guess?

it's only technically sort of a trap because it's a bit hard for people to get where he is, but it's not really an important thing to bring anyone there apart from rey and rey's already been told that he wants her to go there so ??

• Options
    it's all a bit half-arsed, really

• Options
    Literally the second sentence of the movie has me questioning some of the movie's decisions.

That's not a sentence that should make sence.

Am I talking about the movie's second sentence or the first sentence of this post?

Yes.

• Options
    Literally the second sentence of the movie has me questioning some of the movie's decisions.

Am I talking about the movie's second sentence or the first sentence of this post?

Yes.
    The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power.

The first sentence doesn't make much sense. The dead speaking is something that actually happens non-metaphorically in Star Wars.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I have to reluctantly commend the restraint involved in taking Keri Russell, one of the most ridiculously attractive women in existence, and hiding her face mostly under a helmet the entire time.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    this movie was sick and there's no way in hell they could have pulled it off without ian macdiarmid

billy dee williams, on the other hand...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Ugh why am I nervous going into the theater, I know it sucks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

don't be, the only reason to hate this movie is if you secretly hate star wars

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Yes.
    The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power.

The first sentence doesn't make much sense. The dead speaking is something that actually happens non-metaphorically in Star Wars.

huh, it's almost like there's some thematic framing going on with the first and last sequences of the film how curious

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    It's less "oh hey this seemingly dead character might not be" and more "why is that significant upheaval to our assumptions being revealed in the text scroll?"

• Options
    It's less "oh hey this seemingly dead character might not be" and more "why is that significant upheaval to our assumptions being revealed in the text scroll?"

Because they did not plan it out ahead of time and needed to keep the run time down.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

You gonna do this the whole thread?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019

since when has significant shit not been alluded to in the opening crawl?
    bsjezz wrote: »

You gonna do this the whole thread?

i literally came out of the cinema 20 minutes ago and have posted on this page only. i can assure you: no.

edit: but i'll do it for a bit because the movie is good

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I finally saw the Star War. All the leaks, obviously, check out. SOME of the nuances didn't, but 99%.

If you keep telling yourself, over and over again, KIDS MOVIE SPACE WIZARDS LASER SWORDS, it's....okay. Just keep repeating that like they did the Force mantra in Rogue One.

Don't think.

I about died laughing when they quickly explained why the Holdo maneuver wouldn't work....mainly because they acknowledged it. That and the spoilers didn't properly prepare me for how much they beat you over the head with LOOK REY'S TRAINING! LOOK! A LOT! SHE'S TRAINING!

First 1/3 to 1/2 of the movie was terrible, though.
    I have to reluctantly commend the restraint involved in taking Keri Russell, one of the most ridiculously attractive women in existence, and hiding her face mostly under a helmet the entire time.

Her and Poe had great chemistry. Disney+ series with the two of them ASAP por favor.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed it a lot. Had all the cool laser sword fights and pew-pew space battles I want from a star war.

Threepio's sass got cranked up, must be a natural occurence of going too long without a memory wipe.

Palpatine being back was pretty dumb, but was it worth it to hear more super evil Ian McDiarmid dialogue? Obviously yes.

Lots of Return of the Jedi echoes in this one: opening in the villains, speeder bike chase, throne room scenes, Endor, post-victory celebration scenes, etc. Always liked RotJ, so I dug it.

The one thing that actually really bothered me about TLJ was that Red Five never got lifted out of the water. I was unaccountably glad to see that paid off here.

On the one hand I feel kind of bad for the Reylos. On the other hand this was the farthest this ship could have ever possibly gone in canon, so arguably this is the best of all possible worlds for them.

tl;dr It had a big fleet battle 10/10.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I enjoyed it a lot. Had all the cool laser sword fights and pew-pew space battles I want from a star war.

Threepio's sass got cranked up, must be a natural occurence of going too long without a memory wipe.

Palpatine being back was pretty dumb, but was it worth it to hear more super evil Ian McDiarmid dialogue? Obviously yes.

Lots of Return of the Jedi echoes in this one: opening in the villains, speeder bike chase, throne room scenes, Endor, post-victory celebration scenes, etc. Always liked RotJ, so I dug it.

The one thing that actually really bothered me about TLJ was that Red Five never got lifted out of the water. I was unaccountably glad to see that paid off here.

On the one hand I feel kind of bad for the Reylos. On the other hand this was the farthest this ship could have ever possibly gone in canon, so arguably this is the best of all possible worlds for them.

Big fleet battle would've been great if they showed more of it, and it wasn't like 4000 ships curbstomping a fleet which can't tell which way is up.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    What a dumb glorious mess. Enjoyed it overall, everything from water splash death star onward was pretty darned keen. Adam Driver killed it. I'll watch it again.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Because they did not plan it out ahead of time and needed to keep the run time down.

A startling amount of it felt rushed-bad, not just inept-bad

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The little "ok lads now it's on" shrug that Kylo does when he outs with the surprise lightsaber...

Chef kiss

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The air battle in this felt like I was watching a Jason Bourne fight scene.

• Options
    at the risk of, yeah, being that pithy presence in the thread i will quickly lay out a couple of the reasons i think this was a good film.

there was a stretch in the centre there - on passanna and kimiji - where the movie really did some interesting things. rey healing the serpent - as much as it was also necessarily establishing her abilities - was just short of directly referencing nausicaa, valley of the wind, and really brought into what is the movie's heart, a feminine version of the force. coincidentally, that's also immediately prior to the moment where rey's dark side feels most brutally dangerous: with the transport hanging in the balance of her power and kylo's. that scene never stops feeling tense, and its climax is rightfully explosive and visually establishes in a flash the whole truth of rey's story. yeah, the film feels like the menagerie of planets comes too thick and fast but kimiji deserves credit for its design. it was a rare place where i really felt a beautiful world utterly suppressed by a dystopian force. a lot of planets in star wars go on as normal despite the stormtroopers etc (or are just abstractly exploded). kimiji is a rare one - maybe second only to cloud city - where the the audience, through the residents, feel the empire acutely. that representation is necessary in 2019.

rey as a palpatine is just great. the sequel trilogy's burden has always been nostalgia, and it rightly always knew it had to lean in. i don't really care that much if it doesn't make sense. it makes this movie make sense, and it makes rey make sense. it also puts a threat in rey that means a large part of the movie about rey fighting herself. kylo is always the weaker half of the two. it's narratively satisfying to see the power in the hero so strong, but not strong enough to beat the bad guy because the hero's always fighting herself, too. anyway, the sequel series made a promise that we'd see ben skywalker and it came good on it in a way that didn't diminish the series as rey's. they pulled it off. i loved it.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The air battle in this felt like I was watching a Jason Bourne fight scene.

I am so glad I wasn't the only one who felt the "fleet" battle at the end was bad.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Big fleet battle would've been great if they showed more of it, and it wasn't like 4000 ships curbstomping a fleet which can't tell which way is up.

I wouldn't have objected to a bit more screentime, but the nature of the battle flowed inevitably from the threat level of the Sith fleet and the galactic status quo.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Rey absolutely doesn't need to be a Palpatine to "make sense"

All she needs to be is a person

• Options
    the fleet of 'people' felt naff and beyond belief at first but it visually reminded me of dunkirk, which is a true story so that's cool

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Going back on one of the best things about TLJ and making Rey a special family member of *important character* is such a lazy and boring move