As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If I only read one single book for this year (2019)

2»

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Wizard's First Rule

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm finally reading Gentleman in Moscow and I sort of recommend it?

It's a complicated book. The main character is not the best, but the antagonist (Stalinist Communism) is kind of the worst, so it's sort of a wash? It is at least the most self-aware novels I've seen in a while, even if it still has a very high opinion of itself.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Red Shirts, by John Scalzi

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Wizard's First Rule

Nooo

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is he not meant to talk about it?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Is a wizard not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

"No," says the man in Altur'Rang. "It belongs to everyone."

"No," says the man in D'Hara. "It belongs to the psycho-sexual kink witches."

"Jesus fuck," says the man in the Wilds. "Watch out for that fucking chicken."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    No, says the man in Ankh-Morpork, it belongs to the Thieves' Guild

sig.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fucking nerds

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    the fuck is a "book"

I think it's like a little baby river

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Please, Bro, you're babbling.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I think it's like a little baby river

You're thinking of a brook.
    I'm pretty sure it's a favor or request.

steam_sig.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    what about Frank Herbert's literary classic, MZCU

G7AMHP7h.png

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    the fuck is a "book"

A miserable pile of secrets?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Here's something a bit off beat: Carter Beats the Devil, by Glen David Gold. It's about a stage magician in the 1920s who finds himself involved in the possible murder of President Warren G. Harding. It's a fascinating read.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Soon I will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman is an excellent fantasy novel. The primary narrator (it alternates between two) is an evil genius plotting a doomsday scenario in a comic-book-esque world that sometimes mocks but mostly pays homage to a variety of superhero comic tropes. It's well written, a lot of fun, and the only book I've ever purchased the kindle edition for, then loved so much that I also bought a physical copy to loan out to friends.

Guess I will start with a genre I am vaguely familar with. Thanks for the recommendations folks, if I managed to get into the habit of reading I will try to check out the rest of the stuff you all recommended!

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Because of this thread I bought Factfulness, Small Gods, and JRR Tolkien’s essays and work on Beowulf.

Our capitalist economy remains strong.

edited December 2019
    Wrong thread

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    3clipse wrote: »
    the fuck is a "book"

INT. LIVING ROOM
    Camera, stationary, viewing an empty room.

Man enters Stage Left, carrying a hardcover copy of The Hobbit, expressionless, silent. He then tosses the book across the room, its arcing trajectory captured entirely within the frame of the camera. A thud off camera, stage right.

MAN
    "This is the REAL Hobbit movie, motherfucker."

FIN.

I should write a bookmovie.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    @Peas

Did you like it?