Options

[CATS] the meowgical meowvie event of the meowllennium

wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated mediaRegistered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTDoOmc1OQ

This holiday season, you have a choice: J.J. Abrams, or Jellicle cats. Which to choose? Well

Was Rey blind when she's born? Can Poe see in the dark?
Would Finn look at a king? Would Luke sit on his throne?
Can Rose say of her bite that it's worse than her bark?
Is Hux the cock of the walk when he's walking alone?

Because Jellicles are and Jellicles do
Jellicles do and Jellicles would
Jellicles would and Jellicles can
Jellicles can and Jellicles do

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    GUNNA BE THERE OPENING NIGHT

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife hasn't partaken of the devil's lettuce in nearly a year. She will get high on Christmas and I will take her to this and it will be great.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    There's a part of me that would love to be absolutely wasted in an empty theatre with a few friends for this nightmare

Let it crash over me in waves

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I tried VERY hard to talk my Rise of Skywalker group into a double feature and was roundly rejected

I’ll show them

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Q2XoO1A.png?1

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/cats/critic-reviews

Noooo I was hoping Cats would edge out Skywalker

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I heard this movie is basically about a death cult.

Why are they marketing this as a happy family holiday film?

How you gonna explain your kids why the cat committed suicide?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Apparently in the 90s there was a cancelled mixed-media animated Cats movie that was going to be directed by the same people that did Fievel Goes West?!

CErrlWQ.jpg?1

mMP82PF.jpg?1

The concept art seems cool, tho apparently they tried to turn the musical into a traditional story (which the new film maybe does too?) I think that is probably a mistake. CATS should not have a plot

wandering on
  • Options
    i love that Macavity

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    this is my one and only plea about this: PLEASE don't go see this just because it's supposed to be a horror show. let's stop rewarding crap with our money

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    this is my one and only plea about this: PLEASE don't go see this just because it's supposed to be a horror show. let's stop rewarding crap with our money

I've seen Jupiter Ascending so many times and it hasn't boosted Hollywood's propensity to make entertainingly high budget bad movies, as hard as I've tried

I'd rather pay to see a stunning failure that tried than something comfortably mediocre

Steam
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Inspired crap should be rewarded. It is the generic crap that shouldn't be rewarded.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Sometimes people genuinely enjoy watching the horror show, though.

• Options
    I heard this movie is basically about a death cult.

Why are they marketing this as a happy family holiday film?

How you gonna explain your kids why the cat committed suicide?
    Being sacrificed to be reborn is pretty much a Christian metaphor

• Options
    Sometimes I watch a bad movie and love it because of all the earnest love that went into it like a big budget version of an earnest student play.

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

I've seen Jupiter Ascending so many times and it hasn't boosted Hollywood's propensity to make entertainingly high budget bad movies, as hard as I've tried

my experiences proves otherwise

• Options

Sometimes people genuinely enjoy watching the horror show, though.

oh absolutely

but you can do that without giving them money!

• Options
    I already have tickets for three viewings, considering a fourth

• Options
    I already have tickets for three viewings, considering a fourth

monster, history's greatest

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

my experiences proves otherwise

They finally made a sequel??

Steam
  • Options
    they never stopped making sequels

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Man, Jupiter Ascending was actually pretty disappointing as even a bad movie outside of like four or five scenes
    And one of those scenes is that Terry Gilliam cameo

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Well I was only going to go and see Cats once, but sure I guess I can budget to go and see it like five times instead.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Look, what else am I using my AMC A-List for if not to go see Cats three times a week for its entire run

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I'd give this movie 1000 dollars if it meant we get more weird failures and less safe boring ass blockbusters

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I'm afraid I've already asked my sister if she wanted to see this when she's down and she replied "yesssss".

I do actually hope to like it on a genuine, rather than ironic, level tho. I think there's at least a chance that this will happen. I like musicals! I like surrealism! I like movies that push at the edges of what Hollywood movies are supposed to do. I think I liked the CATS VHS when I was a kid (tho not as much as the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcast tape). I liked Tom Hooper's last musical adaptation that everyone else hated. I like Rocky Horror Picture Show, which some reviewers have been comparing CATS to, and I've never agreed with the notion that RHPS is "so bad it's good" (I think it succeeds perfectly well at what it sets out to do).

On the other hand, I almost never like photoreal mocap CG animation. The main exception I can think of is Gollum, whom I was enthralled by when Two Towers came out along with everyone else, but I imagine it's easier to pull off a creepy swamp monster than a sexy cat person

wandering on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Jupiter Ascending gave us Sean Bean saying "Bees don't lie" with complete sincerity which is worth its entire budget

• Options
    I will take a hundred bizarre and insane horror shows over another entry in a cinematic universe

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    god i havent been this fucking jazzed since shrek the musical

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    god i havent been this fucking jazzed since shrek the musical

I cant fuckin wait dude

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I wish I had the budget to see Cats five times

Someone give me the money to see Cats five times and I promise to spend it on tickets to Cats

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    I literally cannot envision a scenario where I would watch Cats.

I would have to be comatose or forcibly restrained.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

what if you wanted to have a good time

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I just love that the reviews aren't "this movie bad, pee pee poo poo bad movie"

they're all "this movie boiled my eyeballs and pulled my soul out of my butthole, my children will never know peace, humanity is lost for god has forsaken us, all of cinema was a mistake that has damned us, t-swift did alright"

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just love that the reviews aren't "this movie bad, pee pee poo poo bad movie"

they're all "this movie boiled my eyeballs and pulled my soul out of my butthole, my children will never know peace, humanity is lost for god has forsaken us, all of cinema was a mistake that has damned us, t-swift did alright"

Part of me is morbidly curious about how much of that is just hyperbole to stand out.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm secondhand excited for those of y'all that are jazzed for this. It is 100% a movie I will never see, but I am just delighted with how pumped y'all are for this weirdness.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »

what if you wanted to have a good time
    Then I would watch a good movie