As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    There were some leaks a while ago from an ex employee showing the royals making their own breakfast from tupperware jars. If they do that in the privacy of their own home I doubt the story is true.

The royal familyt has always has a problem in that people born into the family get complete and utter protection while people who marry into it are left for themselves. The press know this, and they Megan was a two for one special in that she is foreign and she married into the family. This meant they could take pot shots at the royal family (but not really) with no consquences.

I don't blame Harry for doing this, he saw what the taboids did to his mother and decided he didn't want history to repeat itself.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Charles used to have a personal harpist, so I think it's difficult to gauge the true level of entitlement some royals possess. Some are no doubt less horrific than others, but asking servants to move things closer doesn't seem unlikely for some of those who are more towards the arsehole end of the spectrum.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Be honest, though. If all the mods here were given a personal harpist, would you say no?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    When forming opinions about the pressing matters of the day, I often ask myself: How has Piers Morgan responded?

In the case of Meghan and Harry, the answer is clear: pure fury. Therefore, I can only conclude that I must support their decision wholeheartedly. Congrats to them both.

• Options
    Morgan is nursing a hurt ego after she had a drink with him and then ignored him forever after.

Not even kidding.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Morgan is nursing a hurt ego after she had a drink with him and then ignored him forever after.

Not even kidding.

Amusing, since he knows so much about ignorance

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Not to mention that the tabloids and the incels have hated his wife since Day 1 for her race and for being an actress so can imagine that it came to a head and he had to pick between his wife and his title.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    If I do stand it will be because I stand the best chance of winning a general election that can bring in a Labour government that gives hope to people.

I know people in a scrap have to back themselves but the level of delusion here is incredible. This is Homer taking on Drederick Tatum and thinking he's got a pretty good shot territory.

EDIT: I am reminded that each nominee needs 22 MPs to back them initially, which will absolutely scupper his chances of even making it to the ballot. Lewis and Thornberry also look a tad unlikely to make the cut.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Not even kidding.

He’s always had an ego. He set a whole bunch of people to investigate Ian Hislop (going through bins etc) because hey got made to look like a tit on Have I Got News For You.

I don’t know why people don’t bring up him being the Editor of a paper that printed fake pictures of British soldiers abusing prisoners, how he made a chunk of money not inside trading or how he was involved in dead children’s phones being hacked for the sake of a story.

He’s an odious shitheel and I can’t understand how he still gets jobs.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Not even kidding.

He’s always had an ego. He set a whole bunch of people to investigate Ian Hislop (going through bins etc) because hey got made to look like a tit on Have I Got News For You.

I don’t know why people don’t bring up him being the Editor of a paper that printed fake pictures of British soldiers abusing prisoners, how he made a chunk of money not inside trading or how he was involved in dead children’s phones being hacked for the sake of a story.

Because "odious shitheel" is actually a pretty large demographic and there's money to be made catering to them. It's as simple as that.

• Options

Not even kidding.

He makes fun of vegan sausage rolls on Good Morning Britain which apparently is enough to make the Great British Public overlook his hideous acts as a tabloid editor.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Not even kidding.

He makes fun of vegan sausage rolls on Good Morning Britain which apparently is enough to make the Great British Public overlook his hideous acts as a tabloid editor.

Ironically, those vegan sausage rolls did really well and every Greggs employee is getting a bonus

• Options
    edited January 2020
    People watch him because he's a loudmouth dickhead who yells at people. At least as many and probably more people hate his guts for a wide variety of reasons. His job is (as Stewart Lee put it) saying controversial things every week to a deadline for money. There's an appetite for it if not an affection for people that do it.

If his ranting about Greggs was indicative of the way most people think they wouldn't have just posted massive sales results and widened the vegan line of goods.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Casual wrote: »

Because "odious shitheel" is actually a pretty large demographic and there's money to be made catering to them. It's as simple as that.

As I noted just now when blind-quoting this to someone, this can be said of quite a few public figures.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Jess Phillips with a stonking lack of imagination here

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Karl wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Not even kidding.

Ironically, those vegan sausage rolls did really well and every Greggs employee is getting a bonus

Which for every employee on Universal Credit (there's a lot of them as it's a minum wage job) means they lose 62p of credit for every pound of bonus. So the Bonus is worth 38% of the headline figure.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options

Seems she's decided to make blinkered unionism her USP for her leadership bid. I have no idea why as no English votes are decided on the basis of Scottish issues. She's making herself look like a bit of a tit for no real pay off.

I say this as someone who is genuinely 50/50 on independence, the quickest way to turn people like me into yes voters is for the union side to build their case on blind, unthinking nationalism. I'd say the same thing to the independence parties, make the positive case for your position, acknowledge the pros and cons of your side, in short don't treat me like a fucking idiot.

I'm not trying to claim the Scottish electorate is so much smarter and superior to the English one but I do think the kind of disinformation/appeal to emotion over fact campaign aimed at low information voters that proved so successful in the brexit referendum is not going to work as well in Scotland. It didn't in 2016 so Unionist politicians thinking it's the unbeatable election strategy du jour may be in for a learning curve.

• Options

Seems she's decided to make blinkered unionism her USP for her leadership bid. I have no idea why as no English votes are decided on the basis of Scottish issues. She's making herself look like a bit of a tit for no real pay off.

I say this as someone who is genuinely 50/50 on independence, the quickest way to turn people like me into yes voters is for the union side to build their case on blind, unthinking nationalism. I'd say the same thing to the independence parties, make the positive case for your position, acknowledge the pros and cons of your side, in short don't treat me like a fucking idiot.

I'm not trying to claim the Scottish electorate is so much smarter and superior to the English one but I do think the kind of disinformation/appeal to emotion over fact campaign aimed at low information voters that proved so successful in the brexit referendum is not going to work as well in Scotland. It didn't in 2016 so Unionist politicians thinking it's the unbeatable election strategy du jour may be in for a learning curve.

Rebecca Long Bailey dissing the Better Together campaign during header leadership bid launch made my Twitter feed an exciting place for the day. SLab politicians and operatives falling over themselves to proclaim that Better Together had been a total unmitigated success, possibly the greatest political campaign of all time, and the fact they now only had a single MP was pure coincidence.

• Options
    Which is a dumb thing to claim because I remember even in 2014 people were saying the union side won the referendum in spite of their campaign not because of it.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    To be fair, the SNP is pulling from their own Scottish Nationalism, not the British one. So, it makes sense that they are voting for different parties. So, is not about being that more "smarter and superior", but about the two rivers being separate on the first place.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    I think Phillips said something because Clive Lewis said something on the same subject and she wanted to respond. Drawing distinctions between each other is what the leadership race will be about, so Phillips wasn't just piping up for no reason (whether you think what she said was dumb or not).

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Rebecca Long Bailey dissing the Better Together campaign during header leadership bid launch made my Twitter feed an exciting place for the day. SLab politicians and operatives falling over themselves to proclaim that Better Together had been a total unmitigated success, possibly the greatest political campaign of all time, and the fact they now only had a single MP was pure coincidence.

as this thread's subject put it not so long ago, "'winning the argument' looks a lot like losing."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Harry and Meghan put up a really basic squarespace-ish website about 'their new role' and such. https://sussexroyal.com/media/

The relevant portion:
    How does this new media policy relate to the UK’s Royal Correspondents?
    Britain’s Royal Correspondents are regarded internationally as credible sources of both the work of members of The Royal Family as well as of their private lives.
    This misconception propels coverage that is often carried by other outlets around the world, amplifying frequent misreporting. Regrettably, stories that may have
    been filed accurately by Royal Correspondents are, also, often edited or rewritten by media editorial teams to present false impressions.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    That site has more shade than a sequoia tree aimed straight at the tabloids:
    What is The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s stance on media in general?

The Duke and Duchess believe in a free, strong and open media industry, which upholds accuracy and fosters inclusivity, diversity and tolerance. Both The Duke and Duchess have collaborated with media organisations including: Time Magazine, National Geographic, The Daily Telegraph, British Vogue, and various others. Their Royal Highnesses recognise that their roles as members of the Royal Family are subject to interest, and they welcome accurate and honest media reporting as well as being held to account if appropriate. Equally, like every member of society, they also value privacy as individuals and as a family.

Was wrong early, this is Harry and Meghan saying "fuck it" and dropping the bombs. More gossip at People Magazine:
    It is understood that:
    • Harry originally contacted Prince Charles about spending more time in Canada and America just before Christmas, but was told he needed to come up with a thought-out plan.
    • Harry sent a draft proposal about his future role to his father early in the New Year but was again informed that more time was needed to think through the complex implications, particularly over funding.
    • Harry asked for a summit with the Queen at Sandringham as soon as he, Meghan and their son Archie, arrived back from their long Christmas break in Canada at the weekend.
    • He was told that while the Queen was happy to meet him, she would not discuss his wishlist before he had discussed it in detail with his father.
    • The planned meeting was blocked by courtiers, but the Queen made it clear to Harry that he should not go public about his future plans at this time.
    • Prince Charles and Prince William, the next two in the line of succession, were only sent a copy of Harry and Meghan’s statement “10 minutes” before it was released and without any further consultation.
    • Senior courtiers have warned that “Harry and Meghan will be punished for this”.

Trying to slow roll an untenable situation didn't go too well, and the tabloids leaking it was the last straw.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Imagine you want to tell your Boss you want to quit.

Imagine your Boss being the Queen.

Then imagine your Boss and Queen being your Grandmother.

Shit's crazy.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Something quite gross about "Harry and Meghan" will be punished for this....

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Something quite gross about "Harry and Meghan" will be punished for this....

"The Queen will remember that"

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    The more I hear about the royal family the more it straight up sounds like a fucking cult.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    good lord, fuck 'em.
    You want freedom? it's right there.
    tell the queen and the rest of your entitled family to go shove it and get a job like everyone else.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    The more I hear about the royal family the more it straight up sounds like a fucking cult.

I imagine Markle took her husband on a world tour of "Here's what it's like to just be rich and famous without all the other bullshit", and he realized that that seemed a whole lot more wholesome for him and his family than the royal gig. Doesn't matter what the UK tabloids and talking heads are screaming from an ocean away, and Canada and the U.S. would send journalists to prison for half the illegal shenanigans the press gets away with in the UK.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Eh, sounds just like every other family business to me.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    tbloxham wrote: »

Eh, sounds just like every other family business to me.

I'd be willing to ammend my comment from "cult" to "incredibly toxic family you've been told you must rely on for all financial and social support."

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So remember the constitutional policy proposals that Kezia Dugdale made before being bounced out of Scottish Labour? Well

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The tabloids are taking the news about Harry and Meghan as well as you might expect. From The Guardian:
    The Daily Mail devotes its first 17 pages to “the Rogue Royals”.

They are livid that Harry picked a black, progressive woman over "his duty".

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    japan wrote: »
    So remember the constitutional policy proposals that Kezia Dugdale made before being bounced out of Scottish Labour? Well

It's progress but assuming it ever came to pass it's going to be awkward if we fall for that pish again and England goes "NOOOOOOPPPPPPPEEE"! Will the proposal be ranked choice?

The talk of a split from UK Labour is more interesting. I wonder if it has a shot. It's over due.

danx on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Wrong thread. That's about the Harry in the Canadian royal family.

• Options
    danx wrote: »

It's progress but assuming it ever came to pass it's going to be awkward if we fall for that pish again and England goes "NOOOOOOPPPPPPPEEE"! Will the proposal be ranked choice?

The talk of a split from UK Labour is more interesting. I wonder if it has a shot. It's over due.

As much as I would prefer a federal UK to outright independence I trust Westminster to enact it in good faith about as much as I trust my dog with an unguarded plate of sausages.

Labour promising federalism at the 11th hour looks too much like deja vu to me.

• Options

Lauren O'Neil is a reporter for blogTO, a Toronto newspaper.

And here I thought that all the rants about blood purity on Harry Potter were slightly exaggerated. Nope.

• Options

Scotland can't force a Federal Solution on the rest of the UK. It would have to be a UK wide referendum.

This discussion has been closed.