As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I see that Private Eye has changed its URL...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm not clicking on that because I estimate it has a 100% chance of having a picture of Farage, but is he the one making the complaint? Because that wouldn't even surprise me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm not clicking on that because I estimate it has a 100% chance of having a picture of Farage, but is he the one making the complaint? Because that wouldn't even surprise me.

No, June Mummery.

Twitter, of course, had thoughts about this post.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Didn't the Brexit Party MEPs paid money to Farage for their slots?

If so, then the fact they are absolute morons should not be a surprise.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is there no medical test for self-awareness?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Wait how do they control British waters exactly?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The "best" part about that complain is that Farage himself was part of the fisheries comitte. It's the one he never attended

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The Common Fisheries Policy still applies during the transition period (like everything else), so the UK is still bound to EU stewardship rules

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It’s just amazing
    Yes, who will be there? Exactly! It’s almost like just leaving doesn’t solve problems, and instead also creates new ones!

Like genuinely I want to know what her suggestion is?

Launch the fleet!?

Prohass on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Mind you, it worked out okay (briefly) for ones who got MEP salaries...

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s just amazing
    Yes, who will be there? Exactly! It’s almost like just leaving doesn’t solve problems, and instead also creates new ones!

Launch the fleet!?

This is what really gets my goat.

During the referendum debates, the leave team said that maybe the quota could be increased if Britain were to leave. Fisherman all over the country took that as a certainty that they would be. the remain team responded that the quotas were set to ensure sustainability and in any case the reall issue was the government handing over the majority of said quota to large corporations (some based in the EU). In probably the most surreal event of the debate, Bob Gedolf even got on a boat to get this point across.

You can guess which agruement was listened to. Of course it didn't take long after the vote for the authorities to say that quotas would not be changing.

Using the navy to protect fishing territory is not really viable as it is pretty large and fisherboats are small. The cost of during this would be vast.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

AFAIK, the MEP candiates were not open to the public. Only the MPs.

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

AFAIK, the MEP candiates were not open to the public. Only the MPs.

Ah yes, my mistake!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Political commentator on the Independent. Jess Phillips withdraws from the leadership race, probably figuring a) she won't win, b) anyone who was going to join to vote for her has now done so and c) those votes are probably more likely to go to someone she'd like to win than not so getting out of their way seems like the smart move.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Phillips was never going to win. Same with Thornberry, if you're struggling to get votes for a nomination just stop right there.

• Options
    A campaign can highlight issues, make a point, raise your profile and make a case for being included in the shadow cabinet. I imagine Phillips will get a decent role ongoing if Starmer wins.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Bogart wrote: »
    A campaign can highlight issues, make a point, raise your profile and make a case for being included in the shadow cabinet. I imagine Phillips will get a decent role ongoing if Starmer wins.

And she'll be a valuable asset there.

I'm 99% certain that was exactly what she ran for, too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Phillips is probably also wisely thinking "people who vote for me probably will vote for Starmer instead, rather than Long-Bailey" and Christ we can't have Long-Bailey

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    It’s just amazing

Launch the fleet!?

They have already forgotten about the Cod Wars, in which the Royal Navy, trying to protect fishermen who thought they had infinite rights to take all the fish in the oceans, lost to the Icelandic Coast Guard.

Thrice.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    It’s just amazing

Launch the fleet!?

They have already forgotten about the Cod Wars, in which the Royal Navy, trying to protect fishermen who thought they had infinite rights to take all the fish in the oceans, lost to the Icelandic Coast Guard.

Thrice.

oh a lot of communities remember - they just think the RN should have been ordered to fire on the icelandics and damn the consequences.

They also think the reasons the UK backed down (Iceland potentially leaving NATO) was a selling out of the fishermen for the benefit of the elites, and the right wing papers have lead a very successful campaign to blame the collapse in those towns on the standard boogeymen rather than the successive Tory governments not giving a toss.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    It’s just amazing

Launch the fleet!?

Thrice.

oh a lot of communities remember - they just think the RN should have been ordered to fire on the icelandics and damn the consequences.

Something that would have shocked the international community and would have led to far worse for Britain than what ended up happening.

• Options
    Labour Chairman and dickhead Ian Lavery has said that Starmer should stand aside for RLB as it's time Labour had a female leader.

I mean, nice try, but no. Attempting to use diversity and feminism to shut down the rival of your preferred candidate is some low grade bullshit but I guess they're worried they're about to lose control.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It’s just amazing

Launch the fleet!?

Thrice.

Favourite part of the wiki article:
    One consequence of the lack of fish was the exploration of other items to sell in fish and chip shops. This notably resulted in the development of a sausage which could be cooked in the deep fat fryer with a collagen skin which did not split unlike traditional ones. This became a standard product.[98]

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Labour Chairman and dickhead Ian Lavery has said that Starmer should stand aside for RLB as it's time Labour had a female leader.

I mean, nice try, but no. Attempting to use diversity and feminism to shut down the rival of your preferred candidate is some low grade bullshit but I guess they're worried they're about to lose control.

I am genuinely surprised Starmer got backing before RLB did. Not that it means he has it in the bag, isn't it general precident that's the front runner rarely wins?

• Options
    I don't think it's been consistent enough to bet how things will go yet. Ed beat his brother, which was a surprise, but he had big union backing when he did. Corbyn came from nowehere, but then beat his only challenger handily. Brown won easily, as did Blair (once Brown agreed not to stand).

Starmer was always going to get more MPs backing him than RLB, but lots of unions have yet to back someone at all (some are waiting on member votes). Momentum are backing RLB after a hilarious poll in which they asked members whether they should back her and Rayner or not, but didn't give anyone the choice of another candidate to back.

So far RLB hasn't really been very impressive or done much to come across as anything more than the Corbyn approved candidate, which may not be enough. Lisa Nandy, in contrast, is looking more reasonable every time she gets in front of a microphone.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It's worth considering that Nandy's profile in Scotland hasn't really recovered from the two train wreck interviews where she suggested, and then doubled down on, looking to Catalonia for lessons of how to counter independence campaigns

This is in the context of Labour desperately wanting to win back Scottish seats, and Scottish labour starting to push for a more nuanced position on constitutional matters

• Options
    I don't think any Labour leadership candidate has a plan of how to win back Scottish support.

• Options
    I don't think any Labour leadership candidate has a plan of how to win back Scottish support.

That's not entirely true. Their plan is to steadfastly deny the legitimacy of the independence movement and hope it all blows over.

• Options

While this is true, having no plan is at least better than having implied that your plan is to arrest nationalist politicians and break up pro-indy demonstrations by force

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    japan wrote: »
    It's worth considering that Nandy's profile in Scotland hasn't really recovered from the two train wreck interviews where she suggested, and then doubled down on, looking to Catalonia for lessons of how to counter independence campaigns

This is in the context of Labour desperately wanting to win back Scottish seats, and Scottish labour starting to push for a more nuanced position on constitutional matters

But important to remember Nandy is appealing to Scottish Labour members, not the general public.

SLab members think Better Together was a roaring success and would eagerly jail the SNP leadership if they had the chance.

So in that regards Nandy is playing a blinder in Scotland.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I know lots of hardcore unionist folks and I've never even heard someone joking about jailing SNP members. People legitimately suggesting that have to be a hell of a fringe.

Casual on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I know lots of hardcore unionist folks and I've never even heard someone joking about jailing SNP members. People legitimately suggesting that have to be a hell of a fringe.

Split enders?

• Options
    To be totally fair to Nandy, I don't think she intended to imply that she thought police violence and jailing politicians was a good idea

It's more that she is totally unaware of the discussions within Scotland or the way in which Catalonia's relationship with Madrid is viewed by those that have been paying more attention than she has

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

You need a few more We Are The People types in your twitter feed.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options

You need a few more We Are The People Sevco types in your twitter feed.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So when are you guys brexiting? Is it a set thing now with a date or still in limbo?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    So when are you guys brexiting? Is it a set thing now with a date or still in limbo?

Officially the 31st of January with a transition period operable up until the end of 2020, during which nothing practical will change but UK representation in Brussels ceases.

The transition period can be extended by 12 or 24 months, although Johnson has said that the government won't do this. If there is to be an extension it must be agreed by the end of July 2020.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh wow looks like it's really happening then?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Yes. Hard.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    No lube.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
This discussion has been closed.