As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Kevin is an editor of policticshome.com and previous political editor at various papers.

Glad to see Labour have their priorities in order and will definitely learn the right lessons.

I love how point e is contradicted by point d

List of Gen elections this century
    2001 - Blair Labour 167 seat majority
    2005 - Blair/Gordon Labour 66 seat majority
    2010 - Gordon Labour 258 seats Cameron led coalition Gov
    2015 - Miliband Labour 232 seats Conservative with a 12 seat majority
    2017 - Corbyn Labour 262 seats Conservative minority government
    2019 - Corbyn Labour 202 seats Conservative with 80 seat majority

2019 is pretty clearly the worst result. That is probably followed by 2015, and then 2010 and 2017 are pretty close. Hard to say the at best3rd and 6th out of 6 can be described as "two of the best" out of that set.

in terms of percentage of the vote

which doesn't matter but

is technically correct!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    It's like citing possession in a football game, rather than the scoreline.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    im not too worried about what happens now - this is all just corpse contraction stuff - we need to see what leadership election digs up. i think nandy/starmer will do quite well, thornberry will vanish

i think rlb wont actually do that well but i might be wrong

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    im not too worried about what happens now - this is all just corpse contraction stuff - we need to see what leadership election digs up. i think nandy/starmer will do quite well, thornberry will vanish

i think rlb wont actually do that well but i might be wrong

Agreed, RLB doesn't seem to have built much of a profile outside of twitter and its Starmer's race to lose.

Its worth repeating that in 2015 every other candidate was running to the right of Ed Miliband, this time even Jess Philips is to the left of the 2015 manifesto and RLB will have a difficult time selling herself as the left's only hope.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I see a lot of buzz about Lavery on Twitter which is... interesting.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I see a lot of buzz about Lavery on Twitter which is... interesting.

there is always a segment of the labour party that is convinced, despite their devastating middle-classness, that they are working class hard men and what the labour party really needs is ian lavery who will come in and BASH the wet liberals BASH the blairites BASH the remainers and show everybody the True Meaning of Working Class Values

the same people who think secret ballots for union action were an imposition on unions because knowing whose house to send the kneebreakers round to was Good, Actually

obF2Wuw.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lavery took money from a union and bought a house. He’s a corrupt union fuck of the old school and if he thinks he’ll win he’s insane. Or Labour is.

Bogart wrote: »
    Lavery took money from a union and bought a house. He’s a corrupt union fuck of the old school and if he thinks he’ll win he’s insane. Or Labour is.

yes and deeply personally unpleasant by all accounts too - unable to control his temper, yells in shadow cabinet meetings, etc

obF2Wuw.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    So Jess Phillips is making friends

The response is mostly incredulity, because really this isn't difficult to understand at all, which is making some Scottish Labour types a bit nervous

edited January 2020
    rule 1 of online politics: never piss off the cybernats

ft reporting the uk is simply not going to go for a deal on services at all, and just do goods

this 1) makes a deal much easier but 2) is massively.... not in our interest....

the idea is probably that they can say "ok deal done were safe" no chaos at ports etc because this handles goods, and then nobody notices the sectors of the economy that get boned. this was hinted at in a change to the w/a where they went from saying "deal" to "deals" but eh, not great

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    ENrWPA0WsAEI4ea.jpg

In short, the EU treats Scotland as a valued, equal member, while the UK treats Scotland as an uppity colony that should STFU. And of course, the worst part is that is a Labour member saying this.

TryCatcher on
    Labour leadership candidate

• eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    The response is mostly incredulity, because really this isn't difficult to understand at all, which is making some Scottish Labour types a bit nervous
    My understanding is that Scottish Labour is made up of delusional unionists, so this may please some of them, although it's not gonna do anything to help Labour's appeal to Scottish voters

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The only play for Labor is to be Unionist. Being for IndyRef2 would cost them English votes in exchange for Scottish votes that would soon disappear should they go their own way.

I'm pro IndyRef2. A large part of the dialogue was how hard it would be for Scotland to rejoin the EU. Well now that's gone. But if you think losing seats in the House of Commons to SNP is bad for Labor, having those seats disappear entirely would be worse.

Also darn your love affair with unnecessary U's.

eEK! wrote: »
    My understanding is that Scottish Labour is made up of delusional unionists, so this may please some of them, although it's not gonna do anything to help Labour's appeal to Scottish voters

The unionist lockstep is starting to fragment a bit within Scottish Labour

There have been a few relatively high profile figures (but not current MSPs) who have started to publicly question the current position, although generally this takes the form of pushing for the party to acknowledge that some form of constitutional offer is necessary to start winning votes back, or getting into the weeds of committing to a position on what would actually be considered an acceptable mandate for second indyref

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Labour leadership candidate

Sudden fear that Jess Phillips is one of those MPs who does an excellent job representing her constituency and a very-much-not-excellent job going beyond that

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Jess Phillips is great and has done good work in her lane, but she always said she probably isn't Party Leader material and I always admired that kind of self-awareness

So

Yeah sad to see she isn't really sticking with that. I mean, definitely I want more women in the leadership contest, and more Northern voices in the leadership contest, but I don't really see Phillips winning an election.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I actually quite like Jess Phillips and in recent years especially she's been a refreshing "saying what we're thinking" voice but not in the racist dog whistle kind of way that usually ends up happening when politicians try to "say what we're thinking". Maybe that's why its a bit jarring to see her suddenly employ the old "intentionally misunderstanding/misrepresenting a fairly simple position because you don't agree with it" shtick.

Come on Jess you're supposed to be better than that.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Always interesting to watch the spread of political ambition brainworms in real time.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Should IndyRef2 happen, and should it succeed, what would happen to ScotLabour? Obviously they couldn't be bound to the main branch of the English Labor party anymore. Would this hypothetically free them up to take different, perhaps more popular stances, and possibly split the SNP?

Should IndyRef2 happen, and should it succeed, what would happen to ScotLabour? Obviously they couldn't be bound to the main branch of the English Labor party anymore. Would this hypothetically free them up to take different, perhaps more popular stances, and possibly split the SNP?

If independence happens the SNP will split itself. It's actually a loose coalition of various interests that have shelved their differences to pursue independence. Once that happens it'll fracture and we will probably see a reforming of the Scottish political landscape. Whether that will include labour or not remains to be seen as their support seems broken and their name is dirt.

Unison have backed Starmer in the Labour leadership contest. I'm guessing RLB and Starmer will be the final two. Phillips won't make it but will have raised her profile enough to be given a decent shadow cabinet role.

Unless RLB wins and she just keeps all the useless arseholes in Corbyn's cabinet like Burgon and Gardiner, of course. I know part of the reason Corbyn's cabinet was so shit was the number of Labour MPs who refused to serve in it was pretty high but Christ what an absolute shower.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Sorry if I missed this, but did Corbyn actually step down? I don't know how these contests/elections work.

VishNub wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed this, but did Corbyn actually step down? I don't know how these contests/elections work.

He hasn't stepped down and won't until the leadership contest is decided. It'll probably be April I think I read somewhere.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

He hasn't stepped down and won't until the leadership contest is decided. It'll probably be April I think I read somewhere.

But he's definitely not staying (in leadership) long term? I assume he holds his seat in parliament afterwards.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

But he's definitely not staying (in leadership) long term? I assume he holds his seat in parliament afterwards.

Yes, you can't resign your seat. which is why get statements that say "not standing in the next election". The only person I'm aware of who managed recently it was Blair, who the government gave a title to so he could leave.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

Yes, you can't resign your seat. which is why get statements that say "not standing in the next election". The only person I'm aware of who managed recently it was Blair, who the government gave a title to so he could leave.

I thought it was tradition to give a title to PM's that want to retire? Not that it applies to Corbyn, obviously, but that it was just sort of standard.

• PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    You absolutely can stand down, but it's rare for someone to choose to.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I thought it was tradition to give a title to PM's that want to retire? Not that it applies to Corbyn, obviously, but that it was just sort of standard.

I mean it was tradition that retiring Speakers be given a title as well but not for Bercow apparently.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    You absolutely can stand down, but it's rare for someone to choose to.

It's happened a few times recently. All that happens is they hold a by-election for a replacement.

Newsnight editor.

Apparently Big Len has told him to do it as he’s not sure RLB can win. Gardiner is, I believe, fucking awful in every way and an absolute joke of a candidate. If he wins Labour will have swan-dived into a bin.

• TubeTube Registered User admin

It’s not just Blair. Resigning mps are given the title Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds and Steward of the Manor of Northstead so that they’re disqualified from sitting.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

It’s not just Blair. Resigning mps are given the title Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds and Steward of the Manor of Northstead so that they’re disqualified from sitting.

So just quickly read the wiki page for that, and it is delightfully bizzare.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Paul Kelso is a Sky News correspodent.

Looks like someone got kicked out.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Newsnight editor.

Apparently Big Len has told him to do it as he’s not sure RLB can win. Gardiner is, I believe, fucking awful in every way and an absolute joke of a candidate. If he wins Labour will have swan-dived into a bin.

Barry Gardiner is a substitute teacher of a politician.

But he's one of those substitutes that are so bad, the kids feel sorry for him and actually behave.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Why would you assume kicked out? They've been vocal for quite some time about how bad the negative press about them has been.

I don't blame them personally, having the gutter press assassinate your character on a daily basis must be exhausting.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Is that like how Trump is "financially independent" because his dad gave him a million dollars?

• AnsagoAnsago Formerly QuarterMaster Registered User regular

Is that like how Trump is "financially independent" because his dad gave him a million dollars?

I mean, Meghan already was before she married into the RF.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Why would you assume kicked out? They've been vocal for quite some time about how bad the negative press about them has been.

I don't blame them personally, having the gutter press assassinate your character on a daily basis must be exhausting.

Yeah, my assumption is that they don't want to have to do that shit any more.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

He's far enough from the throne now that it makes sense for them to be doing less official work. Especially now that William has a family of his own, and isn't just one half of "William and Harry".
    He's the next generation's Prince Andrew/Princess Anne.

Tastyfish on
This discussion has been closed.