Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

look at this here collage i made

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
link to big

Basically all I am looking for is your reaction to it. what do you think of when you look at it, what impressions do you get from it, etc.

It's meant to fit on one 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

a bit more detail about the assignment: (I'd appreciate if you read this after replying)
Assignment:

Your first journal assignment of the term asked the question “Who am I?” This week’s assignment is asking you the same question but in a different format.

Your assignment is to create an “identity collage.” The collage will have two sides. On one side you will address the question: “Who am I?” On the other side you will address the statement: “This is how others perceive me.” This is a collage—you can be as creative as you want: images, photos, words, colors, decorations. On one side of the collage you are representing yourself and on the other side of the collage you are projecting how you see others as perceiving you, be it positive impressions or negative stereotypes.
This particular image is only the "Who am I?" side. The other side is in progress.

whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
Jinnigan on
«1

Posts

  • vascyvascy Registered User
    edited May 2007
    The guy with headphones on...
    The cable from the headphones doesn't flow accurately?
    Perhaps.

    vascy on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    vascy wrote: »
    The guy with headphones on...
    The cable from the headphones doesn't flow accurately?
    Perhaps.

    What?

    Grifter on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Generic.

    Overplayed banksy images, communist stars.

    I really see no personality.

    Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes, what?

    Also, why is there a chinese flag there?

    MagicToaster on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Also, why is there a chinese flag there?

    He's obviously a commie.

    Grifter on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Being born in China will do that.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Generic.

    Overplayed banksy images, communist stars.

    I really see no personality.

    is it generic because it's, eh, nothing interesting, or generic because i used a banksy image?

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Generic.

    Overplayed banksy images, communist stars.

    I really see no personality.

    is it generic because it's, eh, nothing interesting, or generic because i used a banksy image?

    Most of the images in here are generic. Even the text brush that you've used. There's just no original ideas put forth here. The whole thing screams bland and ambiguous.

    Grifter on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ah, okay. So it looks like the base problem is that I loaded the piece with images that have a greater personal meaning, but are pretty meaningless/boring if you have no idea who I am.

    That's a pretty difficult problem to get around.

    Do you have any advice in regards to that, or is that just a natural problem with "self-identity" art?

    edit: how well-known is Langston Hughes' "Theme for English B," anyways?

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Ah, okay. So it looks like the base problem is that I loaded the piece with images that have a greater personal meaning, but are pretty meaningless/boring if you have no idea who I am.

    That's a pretty difficult problem to get around.

    Do you have any advice in regards to that, or is that just a natural problem with "self-identity" art?

    edit: how well-known is Langston Hughes' "Theme for English B," anyways?

    It should be well known - if you took a junior level...hell, sophomore level english class in high school it should have come up.

    Anyway _ i thought it was nice, but nothing in particular stood out immediately. I also don't get enough of the references to know where you are going with it.

    SkyGheNe on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Banksy?

    Meh, kind of over done

    Greatnation on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I'm not feeling any strong composition. I mean, I have to scroll so its hard to tell, but the images aren't interacting in any particularly interesting way, which makes it hard for me to take anything from it. its just blocks of stuff.

    Iruka on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mind if I ask what music you used?

    Sheri on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I guess?

    Is it a problem that I use a popular work of a person whose artwork has strongly influenced me?

    I mean, the whole thing is pretty abstract and Grifter's note that on a whole it's pretty generic is very valid, sure.

    But, you know, it's a collage, not a "how underground and hip to the scene are you?" contest.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    Mind if I ask what music you used?

    the main theme to the song, "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin' ta Fuck With."

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Generic.

    Overplayed banksy images, communist stars.

    I really see no personality.

    is it generic because it's, eh, nothing interesting, or generic because i used a banksy image?

    Most of the images in here are generic. Even the text brush that you've used. There's just no original ideas put forth here. The whole thing screams bland and ambiguous.


    Grifter is pro at answering my questions!


    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Ah, okay. So it looks like the base problem is that I loaded the piece with images that have a greater personal meaning, but are pretty meaningless/boring if you have no idea who I am.

    That's a pretty difficult problem to get around.

    Do you have any advice in regards to that, or is that just a natural problem with "self-identity" art?

    Well your self identity is completely unknown to us (unless someone here knows you on a personal level). I don't know what you're about. I don't know what you like.

    I don't have a problem with "self-identity art", but I have a problem with people using generic imagery to convey to me who they are.

    You like music? Well, thats dandy, so does everyone else. You aren't telling me anything about yourself. A Banksy image of a guy holding flowers, what is that supposed to mean in context with your piece? You're militant about peace? I'm positive you could have come up with better imagery.

    Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Well your self identity is completely unknown to us (unless someone here knows you on a personal level). I don't know what you're about. I don't know what you like.

    I don't have a problem with "self-identity art", but I have a problem with people using generic imagery to convey to me who they are.

    You like music? Well, thats dandy, so does everyone else. You aren't telling me anything about yourself. A Banksy image of a guy holding flowers, what is that supposed to mean in context with your piece? You're militant about peace? I'm positive you could have come up with better imagery.

    Fair enough. That being said, what do you get out of the image currently, as it is? Just so I have a better idea of what works or isn't working.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Fair enough. That being said, what do you get out of the image currently, as it is? Just so I have a better idea of what works or isn't working.
    What I'm currently getting out of it:

    x You like China
    x You listen to music a lot
    x You like Casper and Hobbes
    x You do graffiti art
    x You like gray-toned designs.

    I know shit about poetry so that one is lost to me, the sheet music is lost to me. I think the biggest thing that I can't place is the guy with flowers. No idea why that is defining for who you are.

    *edit: same for the bird and the map in the background, it looks like the contours of North America and Greenland. Why is that there?

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Casper and Hobbes?

    EDIT: Which I-Ching symbol is that?

    (I just keep asking questions)

    Sheri on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really don't get a whole lot from it. There are several images all without context. The flag of China takes center stage, possessing the most color and presence on the whole image. To me, as an American citizen, it is a symbol of Communism. The whole image looks like some skater-chic rebel collage. Spray paint, communism, the dirty concrete feel of the background. I really can't draw any strong conclusions, the message is confused.

    Mind you these are the things I associate with the images from the culture I live in, and the associations I have (over time) come to make with these images.

    Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    #7

    It's not a map of anything, just an accident of abstract brushes.

    The flag is an interesting point, because I'd wanted to express some idea of my struggle with Chinese/American identities, as an ethnically Chinese, but essentially American citizen. But I can't even begin to think of a good way to express that, especially in a non-cliche manner. It's not really meant to represent Communism, but that's just the way it goes. Not much I can do about that.

    The message is confused because there's no intended message, it's just an amalgation of stuff I love.

    But, much thanks for the feedback.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »

    The message is confused because there's no intended message, it's just an amalgation of stuff I love.


    Okay, so this is just a 'thing I like poster'? So it really can just be summed up by "you like...(list)"? In that case, it seems like instead of focusing on what we get out of the image (because it seems like just something for fun since it has no meaning), you could work on presenting what you like in a more interesting, aesthetically pleasing way?

    lyrium on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It almost seems more like a concept for a webpage (tons of space in the middle that would be perfect for web content) than a collage. I like the mood of it, the grunge feel is captured well, but the lack of any sort of focal point (besides maybe the flag because of the colors) and too much dead space really hurts the composition.

    NibCrom on
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User
    edited May 2007
    If this is just stuff you like, you're not really following the assignment. It's asking you to make a collage of who you are, not what you like, and there is a difference. Sure, who we are is shaped by our likes and dislikes, but what your collage essentially tells me is that there is nothing more to you except being chinese, liking calvin and hobbes, enjoying music, turntables, and guys throwing flowers. Which brings me to the conclusion that if I were to throw all of these generic elements into a blender, out would come an exact replica of yourself. There might be millions of people in the world who share these same interests as you, but they're all different people, and it doesn't seem like you're touching on anything deeply personal and human. It's just cold, generic imagery that could describe many different people. Warhol would have been proud.

    Also, I really dislike the "Hello, my name is... <headphones>" tag. That's pretty much telling me that all you are is some guy that really likes his music - and that's all there is to you.

    You also mentioned that the Chinese flag is supposed to symbolize your struggle with your ethnic Chinese identity and you being an American citizen, but it doesn't hint at anything like that at all. It's just a Chinese flag - and I personally interpreted like Forbe did that you have communist ideals, or that you were Chinese. I guess my point is - to someone that doesn't know you, this means nothing because I have no knowledge of your personality so my mind could fill in the huge gaps the collage leaves.

    bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Being born in China will do that.

    Zhongren ma?

    EDIT:

    Why do I always get these wierd top of pages?

    MagicToaster on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A big problem here is you're taking all the obvious and cliche answers.

    Your'e chinese? You picked a chinese flag to show that. Its a loaded image (its got a whole shitload of baggage attached to it, like communism). Then you say "there isnt much I can do about that"

    Then pick something else. All of your chinese heritige is summed up in a flag? Comon. Thats just fucking lazy. Symbols of china right off the top of my head: chinese lettering, chinese art, chinese dragons, those funky paper laterns, chinese buildings/temples, those flower things you see in chinese art (lotus? iunno), etc etc. I'm sure if you sat down for 5 minuets, you could come up with a hundred better things to use then a stupid flag.

    All your images are like that. Music? record player and headphones. Grafiti? Spraycan. See what I'm getting at? Its all so straightforward that it has no subtlety or interest value at all.

    McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    who is the artist that did the stencil of the guy with the flower? i had to deconstruct that stencil in a QCS practice test, im just curious as to see what i wrote and what the intended reading was.

    cheers.

    r-jasper on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    IT WAS BANKSY! yay! :D

    r-jasper on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McGibs wrote: »
    A big problem here is you're taking all the obvious and cliche answers.

    Your'e chinese? You picked a chinese flag to show that. Its a loaded image (its got a whole shitload of baggage attached to it, like communism). Then you say "there isnt much I can do about that"

    Then pick something else. All of your chinese heritige is summed up in a flag? Comon. Thats just fucking lazy. Symbols of china right off the top of my head: chinese lettering, chinese art, chinese dragons, those funky paper laterns, chinese buildings/temples, those flower things you see in chinese art (lotus? iunno), etc etc. I'm sure if you sat down for 5 minuets, you could come up with a hundred better things to use then a stupid flag.

    All your images are like that. Music? record player and headphones. Grafiti? Spraycan. See what I'm getting at? Its all so straightforward that it has no subtlety or interest value at all.

    I'm sorry to be necro-posting, but this is just fucking offensive. Here, let me change it up for you:
    Your'e American? You picked an American flag to show that. Its a loaded image (its got a whole shitload of baggage attached to it, like a historical tendency of invading smaller countries like iran, guatemala, cuba, congo, brazil, indonesia, vietnam, laos, cambodia, greece, chile, afghanistan, el salvador, guatemala (again), nicaragua, iraq. ). Then you say "there isnt much I can do about that"

    Then pick something else. All of your american heritige is summed up in a flag? Comon. Thats just fucking lazy. Prominent Symbols of America right off the top of my head: the KKK, McDonald's, Hooters and "Red Cup" parties, guitars, 9/11, old white politicians, etc etc. I'm sure if you sat down for 5 minuets, you could come up with a hundred better things to use then a stupid flag.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • The One 52The One 52 Registered User
    edited May 2007
    ...I'm trying to understand what you're doing there by reediting that post, but I just can't.

    The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flags sum up countries. That's what they're there for. Symbols of nations. The idea that I should stop using the flag of my country of origin, simply because some people interpret it as communism? It's just stupid. I mean, it sucks that some people are stupid. but why should I work around them? Why should I trade in stereotypes of China, when that's not what I identify with? I don't identify with a Chinese dragon or a Chinese martial art or a "funky paper lantern." I identify with China - which, incidentally, is most commonly represented with a flag. A Chinese flag.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Flags sum up countries. That's what they're there for. Symbols of nations. The idea that I should stop using the flag of my country of origin, simply because some people interpret it as communism? It's just stupid. I mean, it sucks that some people are stupid. but why should I work around them? Why should I trade in stereotypes of China, when that's not what I identify with? I don't identify with a Chinese dragon or a Chinese martial art or a "funky paper lantern." I identify with China - which, incidentally, is most commonly represented with a flag. A Chinese flag.

    That's not really how images work. People aren't stupid because they read them a different way. That's like you writing "UNICORNS" on your image and screaming at people for not understanding why they don't read it as "shoe". Don't get upset with other people because they read your highly ambiguous images wrong.

    You know what's more representative of China than a flag? Its shape.

    That's the start of brainstorming more precise imagery.

    Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So wait, now you're telling me that using the flag of China is highly ambiguous, as well as being entirely the wrong way to go about representing China? As if the flag of China shouldn't have to be interpreted as anything other than "Communism," ever?



    I mean, clearly, these two images provoke the same emotional impact:

    891549-American_flag-United_States_of_America.gif

    usa_color.gif


    I guess part of it is simply that I'm going to be around to answer questions, and I do want to provoke discussion.

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you serious?

    Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ........and the bar is lowered.

    Godfather on
    0WBv0.png
  • Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My thoughts:

    At first my eyes are drawn to the right hand side, I find it hard to navigate the image, it has a lot of things going on in it so I don't really know what is the main focus...

    Hello my name is... "music"? The theme seem to be music and youth culture.

    The flag indicates that it has to do with music and youth culture in China (at first I thought I was looking at the old Soviet flag for some reason).

    The fact it's Communist China, indicates some will to "break free" and express yourself thru art, or something like that. Too bad the art itself is pretty bland.

    The character in the upper left corner seem to have no connection to the rest of the image.
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    So wait, now you're telling me that using the flag of China is highly ambiguous, as well as being entirely the wrong way to go about representing China? As if the flag of China shouldn't have to be interpreted as anything other than "Communism," ever?

    To some people the flag of the USA can represent such things as "patriotism" or "home sweet home". To some it may represent "the enemy" or even "terrorists". It all depends on the individual. The map of USA does not represent the same feelings as the flag. To me any image of a map immediately takes me back to geography class. God I hated geography.

    The flag of China represent different things to different people. To most people in the west it is likely to represent communism (now that Soviet doesn't exist anymore, more so than before). That said, however, I can see that China is moving closer towards the west, and the projected image will probably change in the future.
    Your assignment is to create an “identity collage.”

    aha... I figured it was something like that.

    In that case - you like music, grafitti and comics. That is all I can read from the collage.

    Sam :) on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you serious?

    Well, I don't know, you're the one that used a ridiculous analogy.

    I mean, I'm not challenging the criticism that my image isn't very specific or meaningful or unique at all, but the notion that I shouldn't use the flag of the nation that I come from to represent the nation I come from is kind of silly, especially when the basis of the argument is "WELL IT CAN ALSO MEAN COMMUNISM." Finally, the only original point I was trying to make was that telling someone to stop using the flag of China and instead use "dragons or funky paper lanterns or some shit" is directly equivalent to me saying, "Stop using the flag of the USA and use McDonald's or Red+White+Blue Fireworks or some shit."
    Godfather wrote: »
    ........and the bar is lowered.

    Thanks! Your condescending attitude and elite airs have brought so much to this thread! I should take lessons from you. What's your going rate?

    Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Are you serious?

    Well, I don't know, you're the one that used a ridiculous analogy.

    I mean, I'm not challenging the criticism that my image isn't very specific or meaningful or unique at all, but the notion that I shouldn't use the flag of the nation that I come from to represent the nation I come from is kind of silly, especially when the basis of the argument is "WELL IT CAN ALSO MEAN COMMUNISM." Finally, the only original point I was trying to make was that telling someone to stop using the flag of China and instead use "dragons or funky paper lanterns or some shit" is directly equivalent to me saying, "Stop using the flag of the USA and use McDonald's or Red+White+Blue Fireworks or some shit."

    Right. It's a ridiculous analogy because a whole bunch of people read your image a completely different way than you intended. It's ridiciulous because it fits perfectly?

    Look, if you're going to use an image you have to be prepared to accept what people come to the table with. You can't make people see what you want them to see if you're not willing to understand your audience. You seem so angry that people are taking your thing wrong that it has to be a problem with the viewers, and not your art.

    I never said you had to use a buck-toothed yellowface character to represent your asianness. I just suggested something not so intertwined with communism in people's minds (red flag). Flags mean a lot more than land-masses because they represent governments and agendas. The "basis of the argument" is not that "it can also mean communism". The "basis of the argument" is that "no one understands what you're trying to say". You can't wish away the cultural baggage by complaining to us on the internet about how it's not what you intended. Honestly, you don't get to say what you intended when you present a final piece of art to the rest of us. At that point, it is what it is, and we have as much power over what it means as viewers as you do as the person who made it. It's your job to manipulate us into believing what you want us to believe about yourself. If we wanted to sit through a lengthy Q&A about what the image, and by extension, you mean, you could save us the time and effort and just write some stupid "who I am" essay. What's the point of the visual piece if it's totally worthless at conveying any message?

    I'd love to help you work through the visualization issues (and I'm sure the rest of the forum would, too, since that's what we're here for), but you're going to have to stop being so dismissive and reactionary.

    And totally Post Script here, Gibs suggested "Chinese lettering", which sounds to me like language. How is language not a better representation of who you are as a Chinese-American than a flag? It's pretty much devoid of the Communism reference.

    Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And totally Post Script here, Gibs suggested "Chinese lettering", which sounds to me like language. How is language not a better representation of who you are as a Chinese-American than a flag? It's pretty much devoid of the Communism reference.
    Hm, gonna use traditional Chinese or Mandarin or one of the other languages? And what are you gonna write then? "Hello, I am a Chinese guy" or something? I dunno. :?

    Also: Jinnigan, you said you were between two cultures, American and Chinese, that doesn't really show up in your collage. There ought to be a way to present who you are without resorting to horrible clichés.

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    As much as I am usually loath to embroil myself in the issues of "bullshit Fine Arts wankery":

    This whole thing probably would be much less of an issue if it gave any indication as to why you think your relation to China is worth mentioning in relation to your identity.

    I mean, you're from China, great. What about it? Is this a wholly tangental, random fact, a piece of trivia? If it is, why bother brining it up? And if it isn't, (and I am certain it is not) and you have something to say about being from China, and can show how that fact has shaped your identity, why aren't you showing that? That's the interesting part. All I am getting is a fact, without context. All I am getting is "I am from China", not, "I am from China, and therefore _______________________________." Where's the rest of the story?

    No matter what kind of generic image you throw at me to portray that single fact, it's still going to be a dull, single fact. It feels like you're answering an essay topic with a Jeopardy answer.



    I mean, if I were doing this assignment, what would I do? What are the relevant facts regarding myself here?


    Fact 1)
    I'm a white, 23 year old American male.

    Is that interesting to you?

    Of course not. It's a fucking boring, dry fact, and other than giving you a start on being able to point me out in a police lineup, it tells you nothing about me as a person.

    Let's try something else.

    Fact 2)
    Growing up, I had two older siblings who were constantly at the forefront of their classes, gradewise- all A's, went to Ivy League schools. I, on the other hand, never manifested any such extreme adeptness for schoolwork, and, if I wanted to get the same sort of grades in order to please my parents, would have had to have worked twice as hard for them, and even if I did so would still appear to only be the 3rd best in a series. Therefore, in order to gain some measure of success in my life, I threw myself headlong into doing art, the one thing I knew that I could succeed at where they could not, because it was a kind of success not measured in grades and schoolwork. That sort of petty competetiveness is something that remains with me to this day, for better or worse.

    That's a story. It's still facts, yes. But those facts tell you something fairly specific about me, as a person- who I am, not what I am. How I would portray that visually, I'm not sure. It would take a great deal of difficult thought, I am certain; but I have no doubt it could be done, and would end up being far more interesting than a big old slab of white, a "HAPPY 23rd BIRTHDAY!" balloon, an American flag and a wiener slapped next to each other.

    Now, certainly, I read the assignment and yes, I realize a potion of it is portraying how you think you are seen by others, and it is easy to say, "I look Chinese, when people see me they think 'Chinese'", right? And, Chinese flag = Chinese. But, I have no idea in the piece how you feel about that reaction: is it a positive thing for you, or do you fear being stereotyped, or does it not matter to you at all? I have no idea here- I have no idea what the image of the Chinese flag means to you or says about you. If the flag served to tell the viewer something about you, I doubt anyone would have even mentioned it in the first place.

    As it is, it's just a boring signifier of a boring fact, and not something that tells a deeper story, and that's where the complaints come in.




    Ugh, I hate this fine arts shit. I'm going back to drawing stupid cartoons and robots and shit.

    Angel_of_Bacon on
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.