As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Karl Geralt The Witcher (Enhanced Edition) Diary Part 2
    Just found out my mate Thaler is a spy and and now doing some spy stuff for him. So far this involves
    • Getting shitfaced drunk
    • Stealing someone's letter
    • Having sex with a princess.

I am currently repeatedly beating up people in a pub for cash. Soon I will have enough money to get a new steel sword forged with space metal.

Meta note: I am still very glad I picked to play this game on easy. The combat is just....not great. It's this odd rhythm-based combat system that is just a bit clunky. Same for the controls in general. Sometimes I click on things and nothing happens.

However I'm still really enjoying this, and currently would give this a solid 8/10.

witcher 1 combat is a weird thing, with some timing based rhythm stuff kinda bolted on to the aurora engine to make its MMO hotbar style combat more interesting

I don't think it ever really works well for the game, but it particularly falls apart during boss battles and larger fights, so just chug as many options as you can and hope for the best

I will eventually get round to Witcher 2 (I mean I'm enjoying it so much I might just jump into it straight after).

The combat looks more action like compared to Witcher 1. Is it actually enjoyable on say...normal difficulty and above?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Just found out my mate Thaler is a spy and and now doing some spy stuff for him. So far this involves

I am currently repeatedly beating up people in a pub for cash. Soon I will have enough money to get a new steel sword forged with space metal.

Meta note: I am still very glad I picked to play this game on easy. The combat is just....not great. It's this odd rhythm-based combat system that is just a bit clunky. Same for the controls in general. Sometimes I click on things and nothing happens.

However I'm still really enjoying this, and currently would give this a solid 8/10.

witcher 1 combat is a weird thing, with some timing based rhythm stuff kinda bolted on to the aurora engine to make its MMO hotbar style combat more interesting

I don't think it ever really works well for the game, but it particularly falls apart during boss battles and larger fights, so just chug as many options as you can and hope for the best

I will eventually get round to Witcher 2 (I mean I'm enjoying it so much I might just jump into it straight after).

The combat looks more action like compared to Witcher 1. Is it actually enjoyable on say...normal difficulty and above?

yeah the combat in witcher 2 is entirely different from 1

it's much more of a traditional action-rpg style fighting system, somewhere between a zelda and a dark souls in terms of how it feels,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SesHSYPBARE

I still feel it's a little stiff, and the very first fight (storm the castle, fight a bunch of normal dudes guarding a ballista) is probably the most brutal one in the game because of how little the game does to prepare you for it

once you level up a bit the difficulty flattens considerably, and the combat really only becomes annoying for very particular boss fights and special enemies

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Another free game for EGS got revealed, its Ape Out, and it can be grabbed until tommorow.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Ape Out is very good

I ate an engineer
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Tomorrow looks likely to be Celeste

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Celeste is also very good!

I ate an engineer
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have a problem with Steam failing to launch sometimes? I get the "Connecting account" message box but it doesn't go any further, and the only way to fix it is reboot my PC.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

yeah the combat in witcher 2 is entirely different from 1

it's much more of a traditional action-rpg style fighting system, somewhere between a zelda and a dark souls in terms of how it feels,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SesHSYPBARE

I still feel it's a little stiff, and the very first fight (storm the castle, fight a bunch of normal dudes guarding a ballista) is probably the most brutal one in the game because of how little the game does to prepare you for it

once you level up a bit the difficulty flattens considerably, and the combat really only becomes annoying for very particular boss fights and special enemies

The secret to Witcher 2 combat, at least in the early game when you're weak, is dodge, dodge, and dodge some more. Geralt ends up rolling around like a drunk clown with an inner ear dysfunction and it looks and feels ridiculous but maybe you don't instantly die.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    How's that Blacksad adventure game that came out last month?

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Outer Wilds is harder to pick back up after like half a year or whatever than I expected. I wonder if I should just watch a LP.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have a problem with Steam failing to launch sometimes? I get the "Connecting account" message box but it doesn't go any further, and the only way to fix it is reboot my PC.

I get this sometimes. Try ctrl-alt-del and shutting down the process. Might save you from having to reboot at least.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oh I have that problem too and I go to the task manager and shut down the bootstrapper like webguy does

You can just type steam and it jumps to it

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    How's that Blacksad adventure game that came out last month?

All Ive ever heard about it is that it was super duper bugged to fuck on release

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

I have had that happen occassionally, not very often though. I can usually fix it without restarting the whole computer by finding and ending the steam-looking processes in the task manager then launching steam again.

Ah we covered this already

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Making a Steam desktop shortcut to run as administrator may be needed as well.

I know Total Warhammer 2 mods will require me to do this when base Steam is being finicky.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I was just scrolling through my Recent Games in Steam and saw the Talos Principle.

"What the shit? I've never played the Talos Principle, I don't even own it!"

(Clicks on it)

"...well okay, I guess I do own it--and apparently also all of it's DLC--but I'm still pretty sure I never played it!"

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this the season for that.

I bought The Witcher 3 this sale despite vivid memories of playing the first third or so of that game, but I could not find it anywhere on any of my accounts.

I tried to buy the Elite Dangerous DLC at the same time, but couldn't because apparently I already own that.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Fallout 76 continues to be Fallout 76.

https://lifehacker.com/stay-off-public-servers-in-fallout-76-until-this-hack-i-1840613017
    Stay Off Public Servers in Fallout 76 Until This Hack Is Fixed
    The holidays aren’t so happy for Fallout 76 players playing on PC. A new hack in the MMORPG allows someone to steal everything in another player’s inventory, seemingly with the snap of a finger.

According to a video report from Juicehead, a YouTuber who tracks the communities of Fallout publisher Bethesda, the cheat works independently of Fallout 76’ player-to-player trading system, and hackers can target other players as soon as they get close enough to see you. Some players on Reddit and Bethesda’s Fallout 76 forums are already reporting that their stuff has been stolen.
    Many of the reports come from players in Adventure mode, the less PvP-focused set of public servers, though there’s also been word that players can also use the hack in Fallout 76’s new battle royale mode, nuclear winter.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Fallout 76 seems more and more like a real life vault tec style social experiment.

I'm just amazed people are apparently still playing it

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular

The dedication people have to their money might be the cause of this. I know a friend who's sunk over 100 bucks into it and won't be stopping any time soon. He's screwed himself over at this point. There's no "stopping" for him since he apparently enjoys the game with some friends of his but like, you can enjoy ANYTHING with friends.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    There are plenty of people - on these very forums, even! - who've discussed having a good time with the game, despite shortcomings/perceived shortcomings.

I'm more puzzled by the fact that after all the screw-ups, the countless news articles, and the rock-bottom public perception, Bethesda still isn't putting all resources towards making sure that every single action they take on this game is bulletproof.

Unless, of course, they are...

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

donald trump is president of the united states

we live in a fuckin' society

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I rented it for Xbox once or twice and had a decent time. Like, it's still a Fallout 4 spinoff, I enjoy the basic gameplay and the extended crafting stuff, also the setting and story bits you find about a labor uprising against a corrupt government trying to force automation is pretty damn relevant and cool.

Anyway, in news about a way better game (crossposting from the wrestling thread)
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://www.spike-chunsoft.com/news/fire-pro-wrestling-world-2020-roadmap/

Fire Pro World is still getting a bunch more DLC early next year.
    January has a new unannounced wrestler pack, along with another charity DLC to support injured wrestler Yoshihiro Takayama with his rehab costs. All of Spike-Chunsoft's revenue from it goes to TAKAYAMANIA, a charity for him and his family. February finally has the release of a new story mode, written by Suda51, who wrote the (CW: Suicide) infamously dark scenario of Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special. In the spring, we're getting the final content for the game, move creation mode and part creation mode, allowing you to animate moves and customize and create new costume and body parts.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

Bullet points from the steam page.

• Build your R’lyehtionship levels with friends and foes in the super-streamlined life sim segments!
    • More chickens than you would expect in a Christmas game.

steam_sig.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

• Build your R’lyehtionship levels with friends and foes in the super-streamlined life sim segments!
    R’lyehtionship

I'm so fucking angry about this

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Fire Pro World is still getting a bunch more DLC early next year.
    January has a new unannounced wrestler pack, along with another charity DLC to support injured wrestler Yoshihiro Takayama with his rehab costs. All of Spike-Chunsoft's revenue from it goes to TAKAYAMANIA, a charity for him and his family. February finally has the release of a new story mode, written by Suda51, who wrote the (CW: Suicide) infamously dark scenario of Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special. In the spring, we're getting the final content for the game, move creation mode and part creation mode, allowing you to animate moves and customize and create new costume and body parts.

I don't know how that'll work, but I'm here for it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »

R’lyehtionship

I'm so fucking angry about this

I think it's perfect.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i am glad that zeboyd games is out there making it, it's always a feelgood moment when community members go on to have success, and also their sense of humour makes me want to punch a dog

liEt3nH.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bethesda jank and persistent online game do not go well together, turns out

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I’d say they had a good run but we all know the truth

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

If you've never played it Cosmic Star Heroine is really good.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

If you've never played it Cosmic Star Heroine is really good.

I was looking at buying CSH on its own so this is a pretty good deal if I remember to push button after I'm done traveling.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dead Cells is adding the ability to roll the game back to any of it's major updates if you want to play them: https://steamcommunity.com/games/588650/announcements/detail/1696100248017690442
    The Legacy Update is something that we’ve been wanting to do for a long time. As we moved towards regular updates and iterations on the game, we were always bugged by the fact that we were drastically changing the experience that a lot of people had come to love (something that you all have vocaly reminded us of on occasion).

From here we always wondered whether it would be possible to dig up the old versions of the game and store them somewhere, so that interested players and future generations of developers could look back at how our little game developed and grew into the Action Game of the Year 2018.

So, now you can load up every major iteration of the game from the first build of Early Access right up to present, and we will of course make sure that we stock all of our future major updates in there too. This way, the nostalgic, the ragers and the “it was better before” crowd will always have the option of playing the version of the game that they loved.

How do I access these mythical branches?
    - Go to your Steam game library.
    - Right click on Dead Cells and click "properties".
    - Select the tab "Betas".
    - In the first dropdown box select the version you'd like to play.
    - Click close and wait for the upload to finish downloading.
    - Start playing.

This is huge for both speedrunning, as different versions of games tend to have unique glitches or strategies that get patched out or change over time, and also game preservation, as constantly updated and Early Access games change so much that being able to see the overall development of a game is really cool and important for game history.
    Also in this update, they're adding 2 new weapons, a couple weapon reworks, 2 new mutations, and a Santa skin for the holidays.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

it's a christmas miracle!

zkHcp.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Dead Cells is adding the ability to roll the game back to any of it's major updates if you want to play them: https://steamcommunity.com/games/588650/announcements/detail/1696100248017690442
    The Legacy Update is something that we’ve been wanting to do for a long time. As we moved towards regular updates and iterations on the game, we were always bugged by the fact that we were drastically changing the experience that a lot of people had come to love (something that you all have vocaly reminded us of on occasion).

From here we always wondered whether it would be possible to dig up the old versions of the game and store them somewhere, so that interested players and future generations of developers could look back at how our little game developed and grew into the Action Game of the Year 2018.

So, now you can load up every major iteration of the game from the first build of Early Access right up to present, and we will of course make sure that we stock all of our future major updates in there too. This way, the nostalgic, the ragers and the “it was better before” crowd will always have the option of playing the version of the game that they loved.

How do I access these mythical branches?
    - Go to your Steam game library.
    - Right click on Dead Cells and click "properties".
    - Select the tab "Betas".
    - In the first dropdown box select the version you'd like to play.
    - Click close and wait for the upload to finish downloading.
    - Start playing.

This is huge for both speedrunning, as different versions of games tend to have unique glitches or strategies that get patched out or change over time, and also game preservation, as constantly updated and Early Access games change so much that being able to see the overall development of a game is really cool and important for game history.
    Also in this update, they're adding 2 new weapons, a couple weapon reworks, 2 new mutations, and a Santa skin for the holidays.

All games should do this

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tarkov Update.

This game has hard swings.

I go to the Customs map to mark some fuel trucks for a quest. On spawn I run towards a nearby truck and see a duo of players shooting scavs. I helpfully shoot one in the head while they are distracted and then shoot the other, and a scav, quickly after than.

A little while later, in another raid, as a scav I get executed by another player scav who snuck up behind me while I was looting and kindly waited till I turned around to end me. I can’t even be mad at that guy.

Next raid I get killed almost immediately by a player with a sniper rifle from really far away.

Finally I spawn late into the mall as a scav. First random jacket I check had a 400,000 ruble key in the pocket.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The full Black Mesa experience is now out in Early Access

This discussion has been closed.