As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited February 2020 in Social Entropy++

Dec 19 - DJMAX respect V EA

Dec 17 - Wattam

Dec 17 - Periodic Deliveries

Dec 17 - Potata Chapter One

Dec 16 - Melbits World (Indie, Local Multiplayer, Family Friendly)

Dec 13 - Dead End Job (Action, Top-Down, Shooter, Local Co-Op)

Dec 12 - Detroit Become Human (david cage)

Dec 11- Raccoo Adventure (Adventure, Action, Platformer, Colorful)

Dec 11- Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York (Vampire, Interactive Fiction, Visual Novel)

Dec 10 - Last Year (Action, Violent, Gore, Survival, Horror, Co-op)

Dec 10 - Shovel Knight King of Cards (Platformer, Deck bulder, Adventure, Action, 2D)

Dec 10 - Hades (Steam EA) (Action, Indie, RPG, Rogue-lite)

Dec 10 - Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek (narrative, Adventure, Action, Horror, Singleplayer)

Dec 10 - Dragon Quest Builders 2 (RPG, Action, Adventure, Building, Sandbox)

Dec 10 - AVICII Invector (Arcade, Rhythm, Music)

Dec 10 - Terminator: Resistance (Action, Adventure, Violent, RPG, First-Person) <-- Apparently this came out in November for Steam, delays were console only!

Dec 10 - Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries (Epic Games Store, Mechs, Simulation, Single Player, Multiplayer)

Dec 10 - Boneworks (VR, Action, Simulation, Physics, Adventure)

Dec 9 - Frog Detective 2 (Adventure, Indie, Detective, Short, Singleplayer, frog)

Dec 9 - GTFO Early Access (Early Access, Action, Horror, FPS, Co-op)

Dec 9 - Ashen - steam release (Adventure, RPG, Action, Souls-likeCo-op)

Dec 5 - Mosaic (Adventure, Atmospheric, Dystopian, Dark)

Dec 5 - Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory (Epic Game Store, RPG, CRPG, Humor)

Dec 5 - Darksiders Genesis (Diablo-like, Twin stick, RPG, Adventure, Action, Hack and Slash)

Dec 5 - Heroland (RPG, Casual, Retro, Pixel Graphics, Story Rich)

Dec 4 - Everreach: Project Eden (RPG, Action, Sci-fi, Story Rich, Space)

Dec 3 - Tools up! (couch co-op, funny, multiplayer, party)

Dec 3 - Phoenix Point (Epic Game Store)

Dec 3 - Halo Reach (PC)

Dec 3 - SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS (JRPG, Squenix)

remember remember the Games of December

Brolo on

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Anyway what was YOUR favorite game of 2010-2019?

I heard some good ones came out!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thank you so much for putting so much effort into these threads, Rolo. You're not just a rad dude, but also a community leader.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    what's a videogame

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    what's a videogame

stop all the downloadin

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    what's a videogame

electronic telegames, bringing the fun right to your screen at home!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    what's a videogame

It's fun

It's art

It's fart

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    what's a videogame

You mean a gilm?

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Disco Elysium! But haven't played Hades yet.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Brolo wrote: »

Alpha protocol. Gott every year for a decade

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    There are too many games.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Please eliminate 3.

PS I am not a crank

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My favorite game is watching whatever the weekly nerd outrage is.

No single video game stood out to me in 2019 that was far above everything else. I think what is most telling though is a lot of games I enjoyed were those pesky EGS exclusives.
    • Outer Worlds (Gamepass)
    • Outer Wilds (EGS)
    • Borderlands 3 (EGS)
    • Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (EGS)
    • Satisfactory (EGS)
    • Genesis Alpha One (EGS)
    • Risk of Rain 2 (Steam)
    • Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (Gamepass)
    • Age of Wonders: Planetfall (Steam)
    • Planet Zoo (Steam)

Note: I did not play several of the big releases this year and only play PC games (Three Kingdoms, Metro, Gears 5, Disco Elysium, and more).

Dirtyboy on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My gotd is probably the Witcher 3.

At the time, it felt amazing. It looked really good, and was well scale-able. But it's mostly the narrative/quest design that is still seldomly replicated.
    It's one of the few open world games where very few quests are one dimensional. Everything has a few complications, a minor twists, a small choice. Or sometimes goes wildly out of control. It feels... unpredictable.
    I also really like that in a series that started out the adolescent kind of 'mature' content, they pivoted to a main story-line about growing old, and about having to let go.
    There's also a real balance on the impact Geralt has. He is important, he can make lives better or worse, he can make decisions with terrible consequences, but he is not an overwhelming force.

End game spoilers
    Almost nothing you do matters in the grand scheme of things, except for how you treat your protege. The final scene is you racing a horse across an impending apocalypse, arriving 10 minutes after your protege makes final decisions about the fate of the world. Which she does based on what you taught her.

I don't love the economics, the weight management and the busywork in the open world. You can probably cheat past that and have a 33% shorter game that is way less annoying.
    The combat is decent, but not more than that.

I also think it showed a narrative path forward that a lot of big studios have taken note of. Particularly the late generation PS4 trio (Spider-man, Horizon ZD & God of War), that all play in a similar space, and in many ways improve. But the leap at the beginning of the generation made me real excited.

Other considerations:

L4D2 - came out nov2009, but dominated 2010-2012 multiplayer for me. VS - Realism is an amazing time with 8 people.
    FTL - The modern start of runbased games. Its gamedesign dominated the indie space the whole decade. Also a real example of what made the last 10 years great: You can do a lot with having a few strong gameplay elements, a limited but well implemented scope.
    Hades - My current favorite of runbased games, it plays and combos upgrades so well, and has a ton of personality
    Apex - Dominated this entire year for me. A 5% chance of winning feels like beating the odds like few other game wins do. It shoots wells, fights are interesting.
    HZ:D - My favorite of the current crop of open world CAGs. (waves a little Dutch flag)
    Dark Souls - It's the Dark Souls of Dark Souls. The fact that the game openly is a dick and tells you to getgud, while also giving you tons of tools to cheese the fuck out of it. And it has amazing level design. (Which they never really replicated again)
    Mass Effect 2 - A really unique approach where it felt like a TV season: A bunch of big meaty storydriven quests that take 45-90mins each, mostly focusing on 1 character or to advance the main plot. Interesting characters and good voice work. ME3 multi gets a mention.
    Crusader Kings 2 - What Civ IV was in the decade before it, CK2 got an ungodly amount of play, with huge patches, big DLC and an endless amount of mods. Probably the most hours of the decade. There was even a time when I ran in it 0player mode for hours just to see where the AI was at.
    Hitman 2016 - This game is only good because of how meticilously crafted it is. How all the guards are just the right amount of dumb. It's an incredible clockworld that you can poke at in a million different ways. It has a dry sense of humor that works so well.
    PUBG - I won't play it again, but the year it came out I spent so much time on incredibly dangerous motorcycles, sniping fools. The long lull - short intense fight adds incredible tension.
    MGS:V - The best unfinished game ever made. There are a hundred things wrong with it, but the solution space is enormous and the score-attack replayability was a great way to get me to try a ton of things.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so for shits and giggles, I jumped back into smite recently and it's wild how much has been added and changed over the last few years, to the point that it's a bit overwhelming

like now I don't know half of the characters and also the item shop is all different

how the hell do you even get into a moba as a new player, I'm an old player and I'm totally lost

itch io doesn't have client huh
    hmm

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I dunno that I could choose a single favorite or even properly rank games, but in terms of games from the last 10 years that had a big impact on me, I'd say my top 5 would be:

-Hollow Knight

-Ori and the Blind Forest

-Prey (2018)

-Dark Souls 3

-Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

That's not even to mention the host of smaller titles like INSIDE or GRIS, or more open-ended games like Destiny.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    I went to update my wishlist and it's been so long I don't even know where to begin.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I love this so much

FYI, if you have not played Hypnospace Outlaw yet, you absolutely should. It's a truly delightful game.

IKknkhU.gif
    I am way too olde and played too many games to even pick any game of the decade or decades.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Bets paying out to anyone who guessed Little Inferno for today's Epic freebie: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/little-inferno/home
    Tomorrow looks to be APE OUT

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My Game(s) of the Decade list after taking 2 minutes to peruse my Steam library is:

Trails in the Sky trilogy as my favorite game (series) after Skies of Arcadia
    Hollow Knight
    Celeste
    EVE Online (blissfully retired)
    Overwatch
    Crosscode
    Steamworld series

Edit: Maybe add Valkyria Chronicles 4 for delightful stupid anime bullshit

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Dark souls is my real GotD

Dark Souls and Minecraft are probably the big ones, yea

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It kind of worries me that I hate Dark Souls as much as I do. It makes me suspect that I am Bad At Games.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I'm not into Souls-type games either but I appreciate what they've accomplished.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nah, Dark Souls does a very specific thing that's definitely not going to be for everyone.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am a basic dumbo so my GotD, if I'm judging just on sheer satisfaction and quantity of entertainment, would be Skyrim.

If I'm being more sophisticated it would probably be Obra Dinn.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Holy shit people were not kidding about FFXIII combat being slow to become interesting. I have been through a decent number of fights and literally the most I ever needed to do was hit the autobattle button and very rarely use a potion.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It kind of worries me that I hate Dark Souls as much as I do. It makes me suspect that I am Bad At Games.

I am not sure if the trend is going to continue but more and more recent games having been starting to put quite a bit of souls into their games
    You will probably find something with the right amount of souls for you

Also on a unrelated note I found out that I am not really a masochist after playing Hollow knight

edit:
    Couscous wrote: »
    Holy shit people were not kidding about FFXIII combat being slow to become interesting. I have been through a decent number of fights and literally the most I ever needed to do was hit the autobattle button and very rarely use a potion.

Man a mmo with warframe combat would be very exciting

Peas on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Oh boy, probably minecraft. I don't play it so much now but I played it a lot in the first half of the decade.

More recently, PUBG. Actually, if I'm gonna give an award, it's to Insurgency. It's not an open world or whatever but a good simple shooting game with great shooting goes a very long way.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    off the top of my head my games of the decade would be dark souls, ghost trick, pathologic 2, undertale, and nier automata

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Bets paying out to anyone who guessed Little Inferno for today's Epic freebie: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/little-inferno/home
    Tomorrow looks to be APE OUT

ALWAYS BET ON OLD

liEt3nH.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    off the top of my head my games of the decade would be dark souls, ghost trick, pathologic 2, undertale, and nier automata

you done did pacman championship edition dx+ dirty

liEt3nH.png
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Man i just wikied 2010 games on a whim and my head kinda hurts now because I was pretty sure some of those games came out just a couple of years ago, what is time man

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Time is a fake concept everything that has ever happened or will happen is happening right now forever

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Please eliminate 3.

PS I am not a crank

Somewhere, Gaben nods. He snaps his fingers and says, "Done."

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Ghost Trick is great and until now I kinda forgot that there were DS games released this decade. Obviously there was, the 3DS launched 2011 and there was still a few DS games after that, but to me it feels like a lifetime ago.

Doom 2016 would be near the top of my list.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    80 Days made me cry so thats on there, Disco Elysium seems like it might permanently alter my brain if I play it incautiously or while on the wrong drugs so thats on the list

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't think Disco Elysium has an option to play it cautiously

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Dark Souls, Crusader Kings II, DayZ and PUBG

This discussion has been closed.