PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    It was entertaining if anything i guess
    I love Radiata stories if anyone knows what it is

Peas on
    5myiokloks5d.png
    Dee Kaeel_vicio
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    I dunno, given the popularity of The Sims, Hitman, games like Dwarf Fortress and a plethora of titles in those genres, NPCs with schedules can be a pretty engaging mechanic for a lot of people, even if it's not for you. Like, in the original Gothic NPCs have their schedules and it really made the game come alive for me, even aside the gameplay perks it added (can't rob someone's hut if they're awake and in eyesight).

DepressperadoFencingsaxElvenshaeVeagleDee Kae
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I want to have to make an appointment to meet with an NPC and I want there to be some NPCs that are really fucking flaky about keeping to those appointments.

I'm just trying to return your goblin buttholes to you, GERALD, why are you never home??

never dieMagic Pinkwebguy20Crippl3FencingsaxElvenshaeDisruptedCapitalistMvrck
  • I am absolutely positive that in my initial argument I accounted for the player base who are invested in the pickled pepper proclivities of Skittles the Scullery Cat

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Just having schedules isn't a big deal, there were SNES games which had those and they were also fairly easy to create in RPGmaker

TES Radiant AI gave us moments like this

cB557PeasHermanoBionicPenguinJayKaosCouscousMetzger MeisterCrippl3KarozFencingsaxIoloH0b0manJacobkoshKetBraSorceElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuOlivawKetarHappy Little MachineHacksawironsizideVeldrinAl_wat
    Man that's really neat I have no idea this can happen

5myiokloks5d.png
    KetBra
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    I think that clip is a pretty good endorsement of the system tbh

Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

never diePeasShortyHermanoGlalBionicPenguinCouscousMetzger MeisterBrovid HasselsmofFencingsaxIoloMedium DaveMidniteH0b0manJacobkoshKetBrajungleroomxElvenshaeOlivawDisruptedCapitalistTheStigHappy Little MachineHacksawironsizideel_vicioAl_wat
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    One of my strongest Skyrim memories was a thieves guild radiant quest where I had to steal a thing that was like, on or right by someone's dinner table.

I got into the house right as the whole family was sitting down to eat, and while my stealth was good enough to generally not be noticed, I didn't have invis and couldn't get to the target without being spotted cause there was somebody looking at every approach.

So I just hopped on top of a cabinet by their table and crouched there for several in game hours watching them eat like a creeper vulture until they went to bed.

steam_sig.png
    DarkPrimusJedockimePeasHermanoDonnictonSnicketysnickwebguy20CouscousMetzger MeisterThe JudgeSporkAndrewPerrsundarunia106FencingsaxIoloKwoaruGvzbgulJacobkoshSorceElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuDee KaeOlivawMvrckWeaverKetarHappy Little MachineHacksawironsizidegodmode
  • I think that clip is pretty funny in a "deranged busted hilarious Bethesda shit" sort of way but not in a "good thing" sort of way

3clipseProlegomenaTHESPOOKYKarozcB557PoketpixieFencingsaxKristmas KthulhuNetscape
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I dunno, given the popularity of The Sims, Hitman, games like Dwarf Fortress and a plethora of titles in those genres, NPCs with schedules can be a pretty engaging mechanic for a lot of people, even if it's not for you. Like, in the original Gothic NPCs have their schedules and it really made the game come alive for me, even aside the gameplay perks it added (can't rob someone's hut if they're awake and in eyesight).

The game design has to specifically build around it as a core game mechanic though, just having NPCs doing their schedule Bethesda's style for ambience has never really done anything for me.

BahamutZERO.gif
    cB557Fencingsax
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT Fresh, straight from Pac-man's 🍒 Registered User regular
    For those in the EU, The Divison 2 is now 3€ in the EU Ubi store too:
    w6qt7bxccaqi.jpg

DixonKarozDee KaeNetscape
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    The game design has to specifically build around it as a core game mechanic though, just having NPCs doing their schedule Bethesda's style for ambience has never really done anything for me.
    I wouldn't really use Bethesda as a measuring stick for anything but jank.

Emerlmaster999Netscape
    Can you fight? 0:57

This is not related to the discussion I just want to post some oblivion stuff too

5myiokloks5d.png
    cB557Metzger MeisterBrovid HasselsmofBahamutZEROBionicPenguindurandal4532FencingsaxJacobkoshKristmas KthulhuAl_wat
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The eternal fight between the mages and guards at the magess guild headquarters in Oblivion that occasionally happened due to radiant AI as great.

I am still not sure how that bug happens.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    A day and night cycle in an RPG means that you can have the kind of moody night quests on empty streets that are a lot harder to do when everyone is out and about but the screen is a bit darker.

RPGs at their best are about stories. Day and night cycles, when done well, create new storytelling opportunities.

The same for NPCs with schedules. It’s just another design tool that can be used well or poorly.

Phillishere on
    Metzger MeisterJacobkoshGlaljungleroomxVeagleKristmas KthulhuDisruptedCapitalistHappy Little Machine
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This is my favorite Skyrim video:

Metzger MeisterPeasAistanBrovid HasselsmofShortyJedocKarozcB557BionicPenguinFishmandurandal4532FencingsaxIoloMidniteKetBraSorceElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuDee KaekimeOlivawHappy Little MachineHacksawironsizideVeldrinAl_wat
    Oblivion is always a laugh for bugs.

The door to Harborside Warehouse in Anvil has the wrong owner, which sometimes results in Wilhelm the Worm being killed for trespassing.

Metzger Meisterwebguy20TofystedethDonnictonElvenshaekimeHappy Little Machine
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think that clip is pretty funny in a "deranged busted hilarious Bethesda shit" sort of way but not in a "good thing" sort of way

Deranged busted hilarious Bethesda shit is exactly what I go to an Elder Scrolls game for and I never want them to change.

Metzger MeisterPeasTofystedethDixonJedocFishmanFencingsaxjungleroomxElvenshae
  • Emerlmaster999Emerlmaster999 Registered User regular
    The only good moment in Skyrim:

PeasKarozFencingsaxIoloKetBraGlalElvenshaeNetscapeHappy Little MachineironsizideAl_wat
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Crime
    NPCs capable of respawning, such as Mage Apprentices, Mage Scholars, and Battlehorn Men-at-Arms, will have their bounty restored when they respawn. This can result in guards always attacking them on sight, even if they never committed a crime since they came back to life. This can cause areas like the Arcane University (where Imperial Legion Battlemages are stationed) to be engulfed in combat every time the cell resets. However, the guards themselves don't seem to be affected by this glitch if they were to kill someone, even another guard, by accident.
    Oh, so that is why.
    Multiple unreported, zero-bounty crimes may cause instability in the game; to clear the list of unreported crimes, assault an NPC or take some other action that causes a reported crime, and pay the bounty.
    If you ask Ja'Fazir to yield after entering the Blackwood Company hall, he will accept. You will have to kill him or pickpocket him to obtain Jeetum-Ze's room key, resulting in a crime.

Metzger MeistercB557ElvenshaeHappy Little Machine
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    I played so much Skyrim. I reinstall every now and then but they keep updating and breaking mods and some people have all but abandoned their Skyrim mods for other games, which makes sense of course, and I'll be dead in the ground before I go back to playing vanilla.

Same thing keeps happening to fallout 4 grumble grumble.

Elvenshae
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think the only major questline I ever completed in Skyrim was the Companions, and I still got like 200 hours in it. Those games are just playgrounds for me.

FishmanElvenshae
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    I played Skyrim again a few weeks ago and it still owns.

Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

Metzger MeisterFishmanKetBraElvenshaeTamerBillel_vicio
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I loved Skyrim mage school so much

It's just a shame it was only like 6 quests long and then you're the arch mage.

Metzger MeisterCouscous3clipseBahamutZEROKetBraAl_wat
    edited February 14
    Brolo wrote: »
    I loved Skyrim mage school so much

It's just a shame it was only like 6 quests long and then you're the arch mage.

Oblivion's was kind of just there in comparison. Same with the fighter's guild.

I couldn't even join the necromancers or lead them after taking out their leader. The necromancers seem like the sort that would go with killing the old head making you the new head.

Black soul gems are just convenient and necromancy should totally be legal.

Couscous on
    So if I don't hand over this big glowy ball, the entire place will be destroyed? I kind of want to see it. Can I just let it happen? No? Awwww.

• ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    I like the thieves guild a lot but it's a real slog and I've still never become the master thief (or whatever it's called) because of how the last part works

mage college is like...almost good, a lot of the pieces are there, but it's still weird that you wind up being the archmage

• JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Hah, the new factory cart in Satisfactory is extremely dumb and good. And it works with jump pads! I look forward to the inevitable obstacle course racing scene with great interest.

o37cimwspm8x.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I ZimbraKnight_PlatyFishmanFencingsaxKamirowebguy20MrGrimoireElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuSporkAndrewHappy Little Machineel_vicio
    I'm 80 hours into Witcher 3 now. With all the sidequests I have left and then both the DLCs I would guess I could get another 80 more out of it. And the whole time I'm playing I keep thinking "I can't wait to replay this."

Metzger MeisterKarozFishmanFencingsaxSnicketysnickKetBraDizzy DjungleroomxVeaglePhillishereKristmas KthulhukimeMaddocOlivawDisruptedCapitalistHacksawAl_wat
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Urtuk: The Deolation Out today.

Looks like an art style similar to Darkest Dungeon with grid based combat.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    NPCs fighting each other happened to me in Skyrim when I killed a dragon in Riften and was looting it. I ran out of space so I dropped some heavy Dwemer stuff to make room. The beggar picks it up and the priestess just goes absolutely berserk about taking it from him.

She had fire magic. He had fists. She took that nearly worthless Dwemer cog off his charred corpse.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    KarozCouscousnever dieIolowebguy20JedocMrGrimoirePeasjungleroomxElvenshaeKristmas KthulhukimeOlivaw
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a Goose Game expansion

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    cB557IoloTynnandurandal4532Emerlmaster999DisruptedCapitalist3clipse
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular

We will never be free of this song.

Last week's episode of 99% Invisible was a surprisingly deep dive into trying to find the origins of that song. It's a really interesting episode, but it completely ruined my brain for the rest of the day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Stilts
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    I've been playing Wolcen and so far it's been pretty disappointing.
    • The skill system, despite letting you customize your skills to a pretty wild extent as you level them up, still doesn't even seem to come close to a single skill mod in Diablo 3. Like, the weirdest shit you can wind up crafting is like, "Your fireballs are lightning and shoot two piercing shots instead of exploding", and that's super deep into having skill customization points.
    • The controls feel pretty clunky; enemies and items have bad hitboxes to click on, basic magic attacks are click-to-fire instead of aimed and you need them to restore mana in a reasonable timeframe, dodge rolls are very limited and don't cancel stuff well, and most of your spells and your basic attacks have a large windup. There have been plenty of situations where my play pattern when out of mana is something like "roll away, turn around to attempt to hit the enemy, fail to hit their bad hitbox, instead run at the enemy, start swinging, tank an attack because I can't cancel it with a roll", and that's just the price of even trying to cast magic.
    • This is exacerbated by the fact that holy shit is the game laggy. This is probably their servers getting hammered on launch, but the fact that it's not a Diablo-Like instance where only key things are checked and instead appears to keep track of everything server side means that potions fail to drink in a reasonable timeframe, attacks hit you when you dodge, the enemy attack hitboxes (which are already bad) rarely match up to what's going on, and it literally takes like three seconds per item to sell things to shops.
    • On the other hand, the game is generally a cakewalk; almost no enemies are difficult, the occasional elite enemies need to roll two damaging abilities to threaten even glass cannons.
    • The exception are the bosses. Holy shit are the bosses all terrible. There's the knockoff butcher demon with hookshots, except that getting hooked and his telegraphed slams and roars aren't that threatening. What is threatening is an attack where he slams and sends out a (weak) linear shockwave, followed up by a circular shockwave from nowhere that near instantly kills you if you get hit, necessitating you always use a dodge roll on it. Then there's the actual demon you're chasing after, who is mostly fine with some cool beam attacks and projectiles, but whose basic melee attack does 5x the damage of all his other skills for some reason. So if you get hit by the giant beam of death, you have a second to roll out of it, but if you try to hit him with a close range spell and he swings in the correct direction (he usually doesn't) he just instakills you.
    • Then there's Edric, the final boss of Act 1. He's three stages long, almost all of his attacks one shot you, except for the ones that look like they should, which do nothing. My favorite of these is his giant telegraphed charge in Act 2, which does basically no damage, but is followed up by projectiles which don't hit you if you got hit by the charge, but do hit and instagib you if you aren't directly behind him. He's constantly attacking and very beefy, making the mana regen woes mentioned before worse, and in his final stage he literally just follows up a massive leap with fast, OHKO projectiles spewing from him in a random orientation with a charging slash that hits 50% of the arena, with no break and faster than your dodges respawn. Combine this with the lag and the fact that there are just random summons that only exist to facetank your spells, and he's an absolute nightmare.

There's definitely a glimmer of a good game in there somewhere, but like 99% of my thought was just "I think I'd rather be playing Diablo 3 using a laptop pad as a mouse, it'd control better."

You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
    Magic PinkNetscape
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

We will never be free of this song.

Last week's episode of 99% Invisible was a surprisingly deep dive into trying to find the origins of that song. It's a really interesting episode, but it completely ruined my brain for the rest of the day.

The name of that episode is very good. "Whomst Among Us Let the Dogs Out?"

JedocKnight_StraightzicursedkingStiltsDarkPrimusElvenshaekime3clipseSporkAndrewnever die
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 14
    It seems like "every NPC has their own schedule and desires and complicated social life" has been some weird goal for a long long time, I recall Bethesda banging on about it for Oblivion and Skyrim and man I just do not care that Skittles the Scullery Cat eats a pickled pepper in the basement of the tavern at midnight every night

the thing I like about this is the kind of storytelling and quests it makes possible

like in Ultima V there's a village somewhere where the villagers go way out into the fields at night to have a secret cult meeting and oftentimes the way you discover this is that you're trying to get a room at the inn and notice some townsfolk heading way off toward the edge of the map and maybe you get curious and follow them.

that's so much more elegant, to me, than encountering someone who just tells you that there are cult meetings at midnight, or not having the cult meeting trigger until you reach that point in the quest, or whatever. I like being able to uncover secrets by shadowing people, I like how much more...necessary game conventions like inns feel when towns just shut down at night instead of every merchant being perpetually available (or the games where if you're not in town by sundown, you're locked out of the gate and have to survive the night on your own outside the walls! That's a cool situation that feels like something from a story!).

I'm not saying this is the only or the right way to do RPGs but I think the weird kind of halfass hybrid that a lot of games use is unnecessarily disconcerting. Like in the Witcher games where some characters have a schedule but other shopkeeps just stay on their feet nailed to the same spot 24/7. At that point, if you're going to do that, why even have a day/night cycle? Just do everything cinematically the way a Final Fantasy game does and decide what time of day it is based on the needs of the story or what looks prettiest in the cutscene.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    durandal4532KamiroGlalElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuDee Kae3clipseProlegomenaHappy Little Machineironsizide
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Schedules for NPCs is nice, but I generally prefer it when they have a schedule that's not totally rigid. Because when it's the same thing they do every day it becomes less of a schedule and more like the entire world is stuck in the Groundhog Day movie except you.

Madican on
    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm 80 hours into Witcher 3 now. With all the sidequests I have left and then both the DLCs I would guess I could get another 80 more out of it. And the whole time I'm playing I keep thinking "I can't wait to replay this."

No joke some of the best stuff in the game is still to come.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    VeagleHacksaw
This discussion has been closed.