As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    I remember the worst times at TRU.

Just seeing kids wreak havoc everywhere with no adult supervision what so ever, and I have to stare blankly at the carnage they've unleased and pick it all up / reshelve everything over and over and over again.

Fun job, but like, even as a kid myself, I always put stuff back where I got it from. It's just being KIND! Gosh.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I don't wanna grow up
    I'm gonna be justifiably brained by Dee Kae

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    At Lowe's we refused to do something ridiculous for a customer. It took about fifteen minutes for the garden center manager to convince him that we would not do this ridiculous thing, and he got angrier and angrier every time she repeated her extremely reasonable position.

We had all made our way to the loading gate to load someone else's mulch when the dude roared up in his pickup, screeched to a halt, and bellowed out his window, "I GO TO HOME DEPOT" in the most redneck way possible. Then he peeled out and drove off, presumably to Home Depot. May the lord protect and keep the poor souls at Home Depot.

I don't remember what he wanted us to do, but "I GO TO HOME DEPOT" became shorthand for the entire store for that moment when a customer's demands stop being worth the money they are likely to spend.

Not my Lowes story, but one of the better ones I've heard from a family friend, was when he was working at Lowes they were loading lots of stone via forklift into the back of the customer's truck. They were being careful about it, slowly lowering the load, and informed the customer this was not gonna work because it was too heavy for his vehicle. He ordered them to shut up and drop it in. So they complied.

Let's just say the truck was going nowhere in a hurry after that, because you not only need four wheels to make it move but it also generally helps for them to actually be attached to the vehicle.

I got this all the time working the garden center at Lowe's. People who'd buy a half pallet of pavers, we'd start loading them against the cab, they'd get super indignant about this being a work truck and how much extra work they'd have to do if the pavers are next to the cab so just put them by the tailgate. Invariably we'd get a quarter of the way loaded and they'd start yelling about how low the bed was that we'd need to put them back up against the cab.

The worst for this though was sod. Everybody wildly miscalculates how heavy a pallet of sod is. The one that really sticks out in my memory is a guy trying to convince me to just load a pallet into the back of his 1980 Datsun truck. I was only to talk him out of it when the pallet ended up being too wide to fit in the bed. Ended up taking him 5 loads to get the whole thing.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I've finally decided on a long term career.

My current job has no promotion prospect and whilst it pays well a large amount of the pay is tied to a horrible shift pattern that includes nights.

No we have a kid I really want a Monday to Friday job.

So I've decided I'll be apply to teacher training. I'll be going for primary school which is roughly 5 to 11 years old.

The training scheme pays £18k which is quite a cut but after a year it'll jump quite a bit once I'm qualified.

Also in the UK there are some incentives for men to get in to primary school teaching which is neat.

SharpyVII on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    At Lowe's we refused to do something ridiculous for a customer. It took about fifteen minutes for the garden center manager to convince him that we would not do this ridiculous thing, and he got angrier and angrier every time she repeated her extremely reasonable position.

We had all made our way to the loading gate to load someone else's mulch when the dude roared up in his pickup, screeched to a halt, and bellowed out his window, "I GO TO HOME DEPOT" in the most redneck way possible. Then he peeled out and drove off, presumably to Home Depot. May the lord protect and keep the poor souls at Home Depot.

I don't remember what he wanted us to do, but "I GO TO HOME DEPOT" became shorthand for the entire store for that moment when a customer's demands stop being worth the money they are likely to spend.

Not my Lowes story, but one of the better ones I've heard from a family friend, was when he was working at Lowes they were loading lots of stone via forklift into the back of the customer's truck. They were being careful about it, slowly lowering the load, and informed the customer this was not gonna work because it was too heavy for his vehicle. He ordered them to shut up and drop it in. So they complied.

Let's just say the truck was going nowhere in a hurry after that, because you not only need four wheels to make it move but it also generally helps for them to actually be attached to the vehicle.

I got this all the time working the garden center at Lowe's. People who'd buy a half pallet of pavers, we'd start loading them against the cab, they'd get super indignant about this being a work truck and how much extra work they'd have to do if the pavers are next to the cab so just put them by the tailgate. Invariably we'd get a quarter of the way loaded and they'd start yelling about how low the bed was that we'd need to put them back up against the cab.

The worst for this though was sod. Everybody wildly miscalculates how heavy a pallet of sod is. The one that really sticks out in my memory is a guy trying to convince me to just load a pallet into the back of his 1980 Datsun truck. I was only to talk him out of it when the pallet ended up being too wide to fit in the bed. Ended up taking him 5 loads to get the whole thing.

Yup. We once sent a very confident young man off with enough pavers in the trunk of his Mustang that his rear bumper was practically scraping the ground.

Sure hope he didn't encounter any bumps in the road more than an inch or two high.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Once a woman wanted to buy a whole pallet of bottled water. I told her showing her the pallet it's 36 units weighting over a ton total there is NO way you will fit this in a car or truck
    It took her 4 trips with a freind helping to get all the units

For some dumb reason we got a whole trailer of fireplace logs and the bags of sawdust for fireplaces? In hauling it from the trailer {at the time none of us had the linence for the forklift} We had to haul it across the store to the garden center patio. WE broke 3 jacks.
    I have many more I half remember like a person buying two cart loads of 2L [I thought I was silly buying 20 and hauling it home in a backpack 6 a gym bag 6 to 7 and the rest in bags in my hands walking over a mile} That the door greeter had to watch the carts because they made 3 trips to get it all

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Always got a kick out of the customers who have "Been shopping here for thirty years..." and I'm like motherfucker we'd card you for alcohol the fuck you talking about thirty years.

Also the store not even being that old.
    There haven't been cell phones for 30 years??

You're right. They're closer to 40 years old.

oh h*ck
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Always got a kick out of the customers who have "Been shopping here for thirty years..." and I'm like motherfucker we'd card you for alcohol the fuck you talking about thirty years.

There haven't been cell phones for 30 years??

You're right. They're closer to 40 years old.

Yeah my dad had a cell phone for work in 1988. It was the size of his Buick, but it was a cell phone.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Well fucknuggets, either they are racist for calling the cops on my subordinate or the previous guards never followed procedure

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just got into work to see an email from my boss telling me not to come in because HR was having an issue with my appointment past the one year mark of me dropping to part time so I can attend the university I work for.

A phone call or even text would have been nice. What joy, a surprise job hunt Sunday.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Just got into work to see an email from my boss telling me not to come in because HR was having an issue with my appointment past the one year mark of me dropping to part time so I can attend the university I work for.

A phone call or even text would have been nice. What joy, a surprise job hunt Sunday.

Was it a "you're done" or a "we are having trouble with the system and you can't technically work until it is sorted" ?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I should not have done this OT. I really don't feel like going to work today. At least it is just a 9 hour shift.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

Was it a "you're done" or a "we are having trouble with the system and you can't technically work until it is sorted" ?

Its supposedly the latter, but I have a terrible feeling the fix will be "We had to re-classify you as a student-employee. Enjoy your pay cut and loss of benefits."

• see317see317 Registered User regular

I literally had a customer today who didn't know their account info, blamed their phone service provider they claimed to be with for... You guessed it, thirty years. There haven't been cell phones for 30 years??

A quick search suggests that the first commercially available cell phone was released in 1983, nearly 40 years ago.
    The 1990s saw the 2g networks showing up, allowing digital connections as opposed to older analog connections.
    And 93 saw the launch of the IBM Simon, arguably the first smart phone.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be over here in the corner slowly turning to dust and blowing away with the inexorable passing of time.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I literally had a customer today who didn't know their account info, blamed their phone service provider they claimed to be with for... You guessed it, thirty years. There haven't been cell phones for 30 years??

A quick search suggests that the first commercially available cell phone was released in 1983, nearly 40 years ago.
    The 1990s saw the 2g networks showing up, allowing digital connections as opposed to older analog connections.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be over here in the corner slowly turning to dust and blowing away with the inexorable passing of time.

Yea, but I'm pretty sure those early cell phones were prohibitively expensive and only worked in some areas due to lack of cell towers. I would imagine most people didn't get a cell phone untill the 2000s, which is often the oldest legacy accounts you'll find in our system. Basically, yes there have been cell phones for a while, but only until the last 10-15 years did they become affordable for the average joe.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Setting up a new printer is the worst.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I woke up today feeling rested and ready for work.

Two hours in, I'm ready to collapse from exhaustion. At least there's only four days left before a five day weekend. And it's all evening and night shifts, so I can sleep!

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    From now on instead of taking the last 2 hours off of work if I have a thing I want to go to, I'm just going to have to take the whole day off. Everything is falling apart and it's going to take me at least the rest of the shift if not some overtime to get everything back up to speed because of course it is.

This happens every time I want to leave early. Every fucking time. I could just fuck off but I'd be leaving some serious shit for the next guy coming in and I can't do somebody dirty like that.

Edit: as a counter to my continuous bitching in this thread, I am currently getting to use an angle grinder to cut out a tangle of about 50lbs of steel wire, which somewhat feels like the violent revenge I want to met out against these machines so I'm enjoying that at least.

Juggernut on
    Juggernut wrote: »
    From now on instead of taking the last 2 hours off of work if I have a thing I want to go to, I'm just going to have to take the whole day off. Everything is falling apart and it's going to take me at least the rest of the shift if not some overtime to get everything back up to speed because of course it is.

This happens every time I want to leave early. Every fucking time. I could just fuck off but I'd be leaving some serious shit for the next guy coming in and I can't do somebody dirty like that.

If it's not your fault, you absolutely can.

I have no real control over how these machines decide to break but leaving somebody who's coming in for 12 hours a solid 2 or 3 hours of work is pretty shitty. I've had it happen to me and it's a guaranteed way to have a bad night. On top of that the guy coming in behind me is new and probably not really equipped to fix this shit. And it is some shit because I am a lightening rod for hilariously bad luck and things constantly go horribly wrong for me.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If this is a failure of management then it is not something you should feel personally responsible for. You say you don't want to do the next person dirty, but right now you're the one being done dirty. It doesn't suddenly become your fault.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

You can tell the technology has existed since the 1800's

and hasn't been improved since then.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I wish it was any one particular person's fault. These things just go to pieces. That's the nature of the beast down here. Basically you're dealing with increasingly smaller steel wire being jerked through a series of increasingly smaller dies by motorized caps at very high speeds. All of this is being controlled by ancient logic cards wired into even more ancient machines or a brand new automation system wired into the ancient machine. It's like somewhat controlled chaos and it doesn't take a whole lot for it to blow up. So whenever it falls apart at the end of the shift the best you can do is sling your pliers half way across the shop, go get them, then try and get as much fixed as you can for the next guy.

Also I'm a masochist and I'll be good and goddamned if I let these machines beat me.

Honestly it does sound like management's fault. Why are you still using tech from the 60s?

70's.

And money, dawg money. Massive pieces of industrial machinery cost mad dollars. Its hells of cheaper to incrementally upgrade and maintain than to flat out buy all new stuff.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Found the issue. For some reason (probably related to upgrading to Win10?) it was defaulting to letter size paper which requires the single page feeder. The lights flashing to tell you this are not listed in the manual. The dell help forums had multiple people with the exact same issue but the dell help guys only ever suggested resetting the printer or reinstalling tge drivers, which never helped.

So far as installing a new printer, it wasnt the worst. It only took an hour instead of three.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    70's.

And money, dawg money. Massive pieces of industrial machinery cost mad dollars. Its hells of cheaper to incrementally upgrade and maintain than to flat out buy all new stuff.

Well yes, in the quest over profits over all else Management limps along ancient machinery while paying the human cost to keep it running. It's still managements fault.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Best mayo is Japanese mayo

Mayo with a weird little baby on 'em are the best, according to my girlfriend.

Kewpie is indeed the gold standard, it is known.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Dudes, just make your own mayo. It's easy and will be so much better than everything listed recently.

DrZiplock wrote: »
    Dudes, just make your own mayo. It's easy and will be so much better than everything listed recently.

As someone who has made my own mayo, and has like 8 jars of homemade pickles in the fridge right now, yea... But sometimes you want that Japanese baby mayo and that's ok too

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Japan mayo isn't even comparable to American mayo from what I've heard, and not just in flavor

I assure you I am not gonna be able to make better mayo than Kewpie.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Is it better than Miracle Whip?

I would choose it over Miracle Whip at every given opportunity, yes.

Y'know what, I'm gonna say it

Miracle Whip is only really good in potato salad and ruins sandwhiches

Wait are miracle whip and cool whip related at all

They're both so like, Kentucky

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really only have mayo in tuna. I have 5 cans of tuna I bought a little before I was fired but no mayo

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Japan mayo isn't even comparable to American mayo from what I've heard, and not just in flavor

nah, it's pretty different but it's still fundamentally mayo. similar flavor, similar texture/consistency

Houk the Namebringer on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wait are miracle whip and cool whip related at all

They're both so like, Kentucky

Cool Whip is just hydrogenated vegetable oil, so technically it's vegan! Stuff I learn when several members of extended family keep flip-flopping between diets.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Yea, but I'm pretty sure those early cell phones were prohibitively expensive and only worked in some areas due to lack of cell towers. I would imagine most people didn't get a cell phone untill the 2000s, which is often the oldest legacy accounts you'll find in our system. Basically, yes there have been cell phones for a while, but only until the last 10-15 years did they become affordable for the average joe.

Kind of. Back when I was in high school a lot of kids were madly spending all their after-school job money on texting each other, and that was over 20 years ago in Australia in a fairly rural town.

This discussion has been closed.