everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Yesterday was super Fridax, today I'm wandering around a town I'm not familiar with, trying out coffees and beer. My flight to Oslo is an hour delayed, so I'm getting food, more beer and coffee. I'd rather be home. I need a vacation.

E: This would be more fun if my social anxiety didn't act up like woha at entering unfamiliar stores.

MrGrimoire on
    BucketmanElvenshae
    So the restaurant I'm in is a chain of the rather casual variety. Wearing a shirt of any kind is dressing up. And there's a guy here in a full suit, with flowers and stuff. Who's apparently here an hour early.

On the one hand, I'm really interested in staying around to see how that plays out. On the other hand, it's bloody Valentine's day, the place is crowded and I want out.

I think I'll head up to the airport early, pray they've finished renovating the departures pub and keep this buzz right on going. Valentine's is the worst.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    Happy Fridax, ya'll!

LaOsThe Escape GoatLocal H JayElvenshae
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    It's my boss's last day today. No word on when we are getting a new boss much less who it is going to be. The rumor mill is going crazy.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    We have a big milestone for one of our biggest projects due this afternoon, in the form of a first draft - which translates from office speak to fourth or fifth draft quality. My boss assigned this to me Wednesday afternoon, and made me move the day off I had scheduled for today as she was planning on being out of the office.

She is out of the office, but before she took off this morning she did manage to open the document off the intranet and left it open so I can make no edits.

What a day. What a great day.

Narbus on
    Kayne Red RobeLaOsMrGrimoireL Ron HowardDevoutlyApatheticToxTofystedethBucketmanThe Escape GoatMoridin889TNTrooper3clipsePolaritieThegreatcowJragghenIloveslimesDisruptedCapitalistPeenexpendableCarpySorceElvenshaeGnizmoJaysonFourSkeithTonkkaLord_Asmodeusstopgapchrishallett83godmodeSporkAndrewGnome-InterruptusRoyceSraphim
    The airport pub is open, I have beer.

L Ron HowardKayne Red RobeLaOsToxTynnanJansonAtaxrxesBucketmanThe Escape GoatTNTrooper3clipseJragghenIloveslimesN1tSt4lkerKetBraCarpySorceElvenshaeJaysonFourSkeithTonkkathatassemblyguyLord_Asmodeuschrishallett83FishmanRoyceSraphim
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Contracts drafted by lawyers that are sloppy, amateur-level messes really bum me out.

You're an in-house attorney! Getting this right is your entire job! BE BETTER.

Makes my job fun more though because I get to use redlines to dunk on these idiots.

Elvenshaestopgapchrishallett83DoctorArchGnome-Interruptus
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Still haven't heard anything back from that potential government posting (though they did say first round picks went out and I didn't get anything so I have to assume I am hopefully a second round pick). In the meantime getting my shit together as I reach the finish line at school and starting to look at needing certifications.

Well they just posted a job for an administrative assistant for my department. Problem is, they are a pay grade above me, and its a big leap. My review is coming up and I think I'm going to ask why I am the only one who does/knows how to do several aspects of our work, I have more education then all but 1 one of my co-workers, and yet I am the lowest paid person in the department, including the soon to be hired administrative assistance, which while a difficult and busy job that I know takes skill and knowledge, has no education requirements on the job description except high school diploma or equivalent when mine required a bachelors degree. Its weird because I don't want to say I should make more money then X person or Y job but with 2 years of experience in this, 2 years experience at my previous job doing similar, and soon a masters degree, I do think I should be getting a bump and this job posting might be the easiest way for me to go about that.

RadiationElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusBhow
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    @Weaver should your store's broadway doors be open at this time?

Yeah, should be open at 5am.

hCpR4ri.jpg
    Steam: weavermatic xbox: weavermatico
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The learned helplessness of my coworkers is driving me nuts.

Coworker: I'm getting an error, can you see what's wrong?
    (sends error message that spells out clearly how the file is malformed.)
    Hedgie: (headdesk until the hurting stops)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    DisruptedCapitalistwebguy20Gnome-Interruptus
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The wife called out from work today and gets to call hr next, then working on STI and maybe long term. I'm glad my boss is taking care of things with clients on my schedule but holy shit I'm losing my mind.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Damn Shadow, I'm sorry you and your wife and going through this

The Escape Goat3clipseKayne Red RobeCommander ZoomIloveslimesTynnanani_game_bumDavid_TDisruptedCapitalistwebguy20ThegreatcowTNTrooperJedocschussDevoutlyApatheticchromdomElvenshaeFlarnesarukunJaysonFourLindsay LohanSkeithLord_AsmodeusToxCalicastopgapSlacker71chrishallett83godmodeL Ron HowardGnome-InterruptusRoyceSraphim
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    My kinda-day off yesterday turned into a normal workday, my actual day off today turned into 1/3 of a day off, I just about managed to get away for three hours in the middle of the day.

What's the word for not having hit the wall yet, but clearly being able to see the wall from where you are? There must be something in German.

steam_sig.png
  • KetBraKetBra FISTS OF JUSTICE! Registered User regular
    Feels good to hit a fridax where I don't feel compelled to work all weekend

ohKiGmg.png
    Steam Bnet:KetBra#1692 Yo Satan
    DidgeridooLaOsBucketmanThegreatcowDouglasDangerElvenshaeIloveslimes
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    Hey

I got that promotion I interviewed for. :D

Switch Friend Code: SW-0999-1072-9696
    KetBraLaOsRadiation3clipseTofystedethKamirorhylithexpendableJragghenLocal H JayBucketmanMorivethCarpyNaphtaliStraginthonoverewebguy20ThegreatcowDavid_TCormacMadicanTNTrooperani_game_bumJedocCommander ZoomschussmightyjongyoDevoutlyApatheticPolaritieDouglasDangerMrGrimoireAngelHedgieSnicketysnickchromdomDrZiplockShadowfirePeenSolarAldoBrovid HasselsmofKayne Red RobeThe Escape Goatminor incidentDarkPrimusSorceElvenshaeMulysaSemproniusGnizmosarukunPsykomaTurksonJaysonFourDisruptedCapitalistkimetynicLindsay LohanSkeithTonkkathatassemblyguyKetarLord_AsmodeusToxbalerbowerN1tSt4lkerCalicastopgapSlacker71chrishallett83DrezgodmodeSatanic JesusIloveslimesFishmanEncSporkAndrewAustinP0027L Ron HowardDoctorArchPenumbraGnome-InterruptusKadithRoyceSraphimBhow
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist ኢትዮጵያRegistered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Yesterday was super Fridax, today I'm wandering around a town I'm not familiar with, trying out coffees and beer. My flight to Oslo is an hour delayed, so I'm getting food, more beer and coffee. I'd rather be home. I need a vacation.

E: This would be more fun if my social anxiety didn't act up like woha at entering unfamiliar stores.

Wait, this is the [job] thread.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    "Do you want my lunch leftovers? I don't want them to go to waste"
    No, I'm good
    "Seriously, it's really good! Try some!"
    What is it?
    "Soup!"

Carpywebguy20ThegreatcowTNTrooperOghulkCommander ZoomDevoutlyApatheticPolaritieTofystedethAldoThe Escape Goatminor incidentMoridin889ElvenshaeJaysonFourSkeithTonkkaToxIloveslimesKruiteL Ron HowardGnome-Interruptus
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I should probably start applying to new jobs at some point if I actually want to cut down my commute. I just feel weird about it!

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Ugh, I should probably start applying to new jobs at some point if I actually want to cut down my commute. I just feel weird about it!

No need to feel weird about it. It's just you looking for positions that will be better for you, just like companies look for better employees if the ones they have aren't working out. You are not betraying anyone.

MulysaSemproniuskime
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'm betraying anyone, I just feel weird about looking for a new job when the only issue I have with my current one is the commute. I feel like it may be kind of hard to justify that in an interview.

Moriveth wrote: »
    I don't think I'm betraying anyone, I just feel weird about looking for a new job when the only issue I have with my current one is the commute. I feel like it may be kind of hard to justify that in an interview.

Nah, that's a totally reasonable explanation, and actually speaks well for you. It means you're generally in good standing where you work and are just looking to improve your position vs. jump out before you're fired etc. If they push, just say "I don't enjoy spending x hours of my day commuting when I could be doing something more productive".

ShadowfireJansonAldoBucketmanJragghenKayne Red RobeThe Escape Goatminor incidentMoridin889MorivethSorceElvenshaeMulysaSempronius3clipseSkeithTonkkaLaOsKetarLord_AsmodeusIloveslimesani_game_bumThegreatcowAustinP0027L Ron Howard
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about that- it allows you to be honestly positive about your current position. Plus I think commute time is an extremely solid reason to be looking for a new job which most employers will understand and relate to.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0999-1072-9696
    TofystedethWeaverAldoBucketmanThe Escape GoatMoridin889MorivethElvenshae3clipseSkeithLord_AsmodeusFishmanGnome-Interruptus
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    My kinda-day off yesterday turned into a normal workday, my actual day off today turned into 1/3 of a day off, I just about managed to get away for three hours in the middle of the day.

What's the word for not having hit the wall yet, but clearly being able to see the wall from where you are? There must be something in German.

Prexhausted.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    AldoBucketmanBrovid HasselsmofElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusRoyceSraphim
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    At this time last year I had a commute of 45-60 minutes one way. I now have a commute of 10-20 minutes one way. And more than 90% of the time the traffic is actually flowing (though going home it's usually slower than the speed limit), it's very rare that I'm in stop-and-go or standstill traffic. Last year that was an every day occurrence. If it weren't for a couple really annoyingly timed lights/intersections my commute would be even faster.

I feel so much better each day when I get home and not getting up so early is great as well. I don't collapse and take a nap as soon as I get home from work anymore. My outlook on weekends is better.

Shorter commute is a legit reason to look for a new job.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    OrcaAngelHedgieShadowfireTofystedethAldoCommander ZoomBucketmanwebguy20Brovid HasselsmofJragghenKayne Red RobeschussThe Escape GoatMoridin889minor incidentMorivethElvenshaeJedocGnizmosarukunJaysonFourDisruptedCapitalist3clipseLindsay LohanSkeiththatassemblyguyTNTrooperLord_AsmodeusbalerbowerN1tSt4lkerstopgapchrishallett83Fishmanani_game_bumThegreatcowL Ron HowardDoctorArchRoyceSraphim
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Car trouble
    Surprise illness on the job
    And two callouts
    Not to mention car servicing bullshit.
    Lovely march to the weekend

Last few hours before a 3 day weekend. I have like no motivation left to do much of anything.

webguy20KetBra
  • webguy20webguy20 I Spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    my engineering team has given me 16 total packets of work to process all week as of yesterday. Each packet takes about 15 minutes to process in our system so we can purchase things and the shop can work on them. Its one of a myriad of duties i have.

Today they've given me 11 new packets, 10 of them being submitted after noon. I am annoyed to say the least.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Commander ZoomBucketmanKayne Red RobeJansonElvenshaeThegreatcow
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There was a time when adding the lime hue to one's own post was a bit of a faux pas

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    Solvent
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    What's north of South Carolina?

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

schussKayne Red RobeJansonElvenshaeJaysonFourSkeithTNTrooperSlacker71IloveslimesL Ron HowardGnome-Interruptus
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    There was a time when adding the lime hue to one's own post was a bit of a faux pas

Those times are gone, much like the subject specific ban that used to exist.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    Commander ZoomDouglasDangerBucketmanwebguy20DisruptedCapitalistchrishallett83
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

Wait, wait, I've got this one...
    is it Ar-Kansas?

steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

Those times are gone, much like the subject specific ban that used to exist.

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    ShadowfireexpendableLocal H JayBucketmanOrcawebguy20OghulksarukunDisruptedCapitalistDevoutlyApatheticSlacker71chrishallett83

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

In general or directly? Because he could be right in a roundabout manner....

ElvenshaeTofystedeth
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Technically none of those aren't north of South Carolina.

Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
    ElvenshaeTofystedethKayne Red RobeMoridin889SorceSlacker71godmodeBucketman
  • webguy20webguy20 I Spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Up to 16 packets! Glad i wasnt planning on leaving early.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Alright well... I'll start looking at my resume soon, I suppose.

I think part of my guilt is also that I just started in this new position. I guess if I do get a closer job I can just emphasize that it's literally just about the commute.

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular

A. Virginia
    B. West Virginia
    C. Tennessee

The new guy needs a map.

I don't trust geography ever since that the city directly south of Detroit is Canadian.

steam_sig.png
    The Escape GoatGnome-Interruptus
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    Flarne wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, if I ever go to any sort of forum meetup it better include 45 minutes of Zonugal teaching us all about history. That sounds rad.

If a history lesson is what you want I heartily recommend a 4-hour train trip with Platy

@Flarne

I met six Norwegians today and they were all very tall and had bushy beards and from the way they piled in through the door it might as well have been the Varangian Guard

Platy on
    SkeithCommander ZoomElvenshaeFlarneJansonLord_AsmodeusMrGrimoireTofystedethCalicaSlacker71IloveslimesBucketmanTurksonSporkAndrewGnome-Interruptus
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I took my current job (well, the job that led to my current job) largely because it shaved a mid-commute train line change and 30 minutes off my commute and it has made all the difference. Just to add further weight to the argument that it's an okay reason to want new digs.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm back to work tomorrow for a relatively straightforward day. The wife's brother is taking her in for her infusion tomorrow, then I'll do it again Sunday, and Monday she's on her own. Which is not amazing. So it'll be good to get back to some normalcy tomorrow for a little while, but I'm just going to be sitting there annoyed that I should be there with her.

I'm going to spoil the rest because I need to get this out somewhere but please skip if you don't want to go down a diagnosis rabbit hole or whatever.
    She has been having something going on with her right eye over the past few weeks. She's lost the ability to see a lot of detail through the eye with things being more blurry, and she can't really see warm colors. So like when a monitor is off, she can't see the red LED with her right eye. At night if she closes her left eye, she can't see the headlights of nearby cars. So she went to her doctor who sent her to an urgent appointment with their opthamology department. The doctor there basically brushed her off, told her to use liquid tears, and about walked away from her when she tried to ask more questions. Things didn't get better over the next two weeks, she called the local eye doctor and scheduled an appointment for yesterday morning.

The opthlamologist there did some tests and found significant swelling of her optic nerve and optic neuropathy. She was furious at the doctor my wife had seen before, printed out two copies of the reports and test results, sent my wife to the ER for an MRI, and gave my wife her personal cell phone number in case anyone questioned her further. Now, the hospital and ER are attached, but unlike the doc that saw her earlier, the doctors in the ER were fantastic. They were comforting to her, and just kept checking on us. One was the spitting image of Chris Hemsworth and I was like "hey bud, I'm also freaking out, please touch me gently and reassure me too." She had an ultrasound on her eyes (I didn't know that was a thing) which found that actually both retina were inflamed. She failed a reflex test. Then she was brought in for a brain and eye MRI. And they want to start working down her spine doing MRIs.

Ultimately according to the doctors they're looking at an MS diagnosis which... holy shit. I mean, the things she's been dealing with over the years, the weird numbness and tingling, the fatigue, depression, her vision problems, it all kind of falls into that, and she's been without answers for years other than "yeah, you have depression. Yeah you're anxiety prime. Good luck." Which, because she's both a woman, and has a mental illness diagnosis, means any other symptoms are waved away as part of the effects of mental illness and that pesky extra X chromosome. She's been out of work a lot, especially over the last six months, and it's put us into a bad financial place. None of that is her fault, but now she'll be out of work for even longer, plus having medical bills building up. And I'm here knowing that the work and a lot of the care for my daughter is all going to be on my shoulders and that the financial side is going to just get worse. And I just want to explode.

So yeah, getting to drill a few holes in walls tomorrow will be a nice relief. But I'm just lost right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter