As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Was off today. Should have done some homework, instead I've done nothing pretty much

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The one good thing about work today is that due to the holiday it was double-time & a half.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Just sent this email to my boss:

"After looking hundreds of pages of documents and their attendant memorandum, I can safely say with a great deal of confidence that I have no idea what anyone is doing or if they even know what they're doing."

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Just sent this email to my boss:

"After looking hundreds of pages of documents and their attendant memorandum, I can safely say with a great deal of confidence that I have no idea what anyone is doing or if they even know what they're doing."

See Fig 1

"Is...is that a pile of poop that's on fire?"

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I just fucking love how quickly government payroll can deliver me, written and electronically, three simultaneous debt letters for $3700 in overpayment
    Yet I've been waiting two fucking months since they told me I had an important tax form on the way that I need to receive before I can file for my return and there's no goddamn sign of it, and no electronic delivery

Just fucking love it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Got called in to serve on the hiring committee for the head of a back-of-the-house but public-oriented department. When I got there, the rest of the committee was three other branch managers, one of the deputy directors and an HR rep. We have two candidates, and it turns out this is the second round of interviews. Fine.

Anyway, we interview them both and then at the end we all share scores. All four of the branch managers strongly preferred the first candidate, and we went around the table explaining why, one at a time. The HR rep gave a slightly higher score to the second one, but only on the intangible page at the end for stuff like "Verbal Communications" and "Energy."

Then the director starts talking. He strongly preferred the second candidate, and took a long time to explain why. An exceedingly long time. Oh, god. This was supposed to be a tie-breaker, and we picked the wrong one.

None of us flip, we all just politely reaffirm our concerns about the second candidate based on our front-line experience. The director continues to try and get somebody to agree with him, and finally lets us go just before 6 PM with a "I'm not going to make a decision right now, but I'll take your feedback into account."

Reader, if that motherfucker hires our preferred candidate, I will go to my nearest haberdasher, purchase a hat, and eat it. And on the way home, I realize that he also must have been outvoted during the first round of interviews, otherwise there wouldn't have been any need for a second round given his strong preference and the fact that he'll be this hire's direct supervisor.

It's not even that I minded the second candidate that much. It's just that I clocked an hour of unpaid overtime to almost certainly have my ass ignored. Feels bad, man.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Back on the day job: part of my job is overseeing the sales and support teams, and part of that job is checking up on the agent review scores -- those little "rate our response: great - okay - not good" feedback questions at the end of live chats and in email/help desk signatures.

We're generally nearly 100% "great", but today I found a rare "not good" with an added comment that said (quote) "bitch talking me", so I had to check into it and see the ticket that caused this less than stellar rating.

One of my guys had responded to a customer who just wrote in and said (another direct quote): "fuck u bitches an ur overprised shit u shoud feel bad...take it and shove it up ur assholes"

With: "Thank you for your constructive and well written feedback. I've opened a ticket to have your suggestion implemented. You will only hear back from us if our team needs more information from you."

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It's interesting to hear about the interview process on the other side of the table.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Our interview stuff isn't quite like that, thankfully. I'd typed out quite a bit, but given my employer is known, I trimmed this down.

HR pre-screens based off various metrics, and when we're looking for someone, we get a stack of resumes. From those, management chooses some for phone interviews. For on-site, we split into specific areas for a series of 1:1 technical interviews. So doing poor on one area isn't the end if you do well in another. At the end of the day, all the interviewers confer and we make a decision. Because it's all done on a per-team basis, it tends to be above board. I'm sure there's ways VPs can force things or whatnot, but I've not experienced that.

Now, when I was hired... Things were a bit different. A recruiter came to my campus, and a friend of mine got an interview (I did not). After it, we were curious about some of the answers he didn't know (some Linux commands, etc), so we hit up Google... And hit the full questionnaire he was asked, with answers.

Two days later, I got a phone interview with effectively the same questions (some numbers changed). I didn't look again, but we'd gone through the whole thing. Suffice to say, I got an on-site :v

Still had to pass the second round, but it's kinda hilarious how I got through the first round. I'm explicitly instructed to write my own interview questions now, so folks can't get a pass that way anymore :p

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Managers at work who love the smell of their own farts:

"oh that's why we all work here, we are passionate about our jobs, we really care about blah blah blah blah blah"

Me: I'm here for money, money alone, and if I won the lottery you would never fucking see my face again

Managers who love the smell of their own farts:

"no, that can't be true, think about all the *corporate buzzwords*"

me: "cash fucking money and nothing else"

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My bosses have a poster on the wall in the office they use to yell at everyone that says "be human." and that really speaks to me yknow

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My bosses have a poster on the wall in the office they use to yell at everyone that says "be human." and that really speaks to me yknow

"Be Human" has become a motto for our company. Right around the time that bonuses were slashed and positions were cut.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Our interview stuff isn't quite like that, thankfully. I'd typed out quite a bit, but given my employer is known, I trimmed this down.

HR pre-screens based off various metrics, and when we're looking for someone, we get a stack of resumes. From those, management chooses some for phone interviews. For on-site, we split into specific areas for a series of 1:1 technical interviews. So doing poor on one area isn't the end if you do well in another. At the end of the day, all the interviewers confer and we make a decision. Because it's all done on a per-team basis, it tends to be above board. I'm sure there's ways VPs can force things or whatnot, but I've not experienced that.

Now, when I was hired... Things were a bit different. A recruiter came to my campus, and a friend of mine got an interview (I did not). After it, we were curious about some of the answers he didn't know (some Linux commands, etc), so we hit up Google... And hit the full questionnaire he was asked, with answers.

Two days later, I got a phone interview with effectively the same questions (some numbers changed). I didn't look again, but we'd gone through the whole thing. Suffice to say, I got an on-site :v

Still had to pass the second round, but it's kinda hilarious how I got through the first round. I'm explicitly instructed to write my own interview questions now, so folks can't get a pass that way anymore :p

Ours usually isn't like this, which is why this whole interview was so jarring.

Hiring frontline staff is super straightforward. The hiring committee is usually the two levels of supervision above the new hire plus the regional manager and one or two managers from other libraries to sanity check us.

Hiring supervisory positions is more complicated, but it's usually at least a conversation. I've fought for candidates I believed in before, but I've never experienced such a wrong-side blowout like this.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

"Be Human" has become a motto for our company. Right around the time that bonuses were slashed and positions were cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBvm9b9sPkY

• Options
    In the grand scheme of things my day job's alright. Good coworkers, pretty varied work. And the bad is usually balanced by good.

For example...

Bad: the hours kind of suck.

Good: today I got to send this gif to a customer: https://66.media.tumblr.com/57692d1404dbd30c6fc94e7d808b15de/tumblr_p8togawP0m1s29ptoo1_540.gifv

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Managers at work who love the smell of their own farts:

"oh that's why we all work here, we are passionate about our jobs, we really care about blah blah blah blah blah"

Me: I'm here for money, money alone, and if I won the lottery you would never fucking see my face again

Managers who love the smell of their own farts:

"no, that can't be true, think about all the *corporate buzzwords*"

me: "cash fucking money and nothing else"

We occasionally play the lottery as an office, and one day I asked my CEO (who also kicks in) if he was worried about most of the company immediately quitting if we actually won.

He said "hell no, you'd never see me again either if we won."

I've never really related to him more.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Many companies actually buy lottery insurance! It's a dirt cheap policy that works out well for both the insured and the insurers. The insurers get an income stream that they will almost certainly never have to pay out on. The insured get enough money to restaff in a hurry if a lottery pool ever pays out and all their workers quit, at a premium that doesn't cost very much at all in the grand scheme of things.

It's kind of the platonic ideal of what insurance should be, and hardly ever is.

It's also kind of a way for whole companies to buy lottery tickets for themselves.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Many companies actually buy lottery insurance! It's a dirt cheap policy that works out well for both the insured and the insurers. The insurers get an income stream that they will almost certainly never have to pay out on. The insured get enough money to restaff in a hurry if a lottery pool ever pays out and all their workers quit, at a premium that doesn't cost very much at all in the grand scheme of things.

It's kind of the platonic ideal of what insurance should be, and hardly ever is.

It's also kind of a way for whole companies to buy lottery tickets for themselves.

Insurance is basically just betting on bad things to happen. Also, when you hear Lloyd's, think "institutionalized gambling on bad things using quants", because that's basically what it is since most of the stuff there is small syndicates and investment houses with cash to burn for a small return.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

Insurance is basically just betting on bad things to happen. Also, when you hear Lloyd's, think "institutionalized gambling on bad things using quants", because that's basically what it is since most of the stuff there is small syndicates and investment houses with cash to burn for a small return.

It somewhat depends on what's being insured against I think. A lot of insurance is basically just inefficiently socializing costs. Inefficiently because the money's getting skimmed for profit, mainly. Without touching on health insurance, consider something like auto. Cars getting damaged in accidents is frequent enough that insurers pay out daily. But it's infrequent enough that someone never making a claim is plausible, if unlikely (probably very unlikely, but it's not like health insurance that you'll pretty much use yearly).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I don't buy lottery tickets on my own but i definitely participate in group lotteries at work. Last thing you want is to be the poor bastard who didn't buy in and has to keep working

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    At least you'd probably be able to name almost whatever price you want when over half the office walks out

right?

You wouldn't be forced to do multiple times your workload for the same salary, surely

damn

Psykoma on
  • Options
    My work would actually be screwed if a whole shift crew won the lottery. It takes years to get people qualified to operate the place and they are too short staffed to just spontaneously staff a whole crew.

Maybe they could just barely pull it off. It would be very tight.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    yeah my work would be fuuuuucked if like half the staff won a lottery pool. They could get travelers and open the floodgates for hiring but orientation alone is 14 weeks. They'd be paying out a ton of OT.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The only tangible effect on my workplace of a lottery win is that everybody would suddenly have substantially nicer bicycles.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Got a new boss at work today. Technically last week, but I wasn't here then. He is also an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing, and even my direct supervisor said "don't get written up for insubordination, so just do what he says and watch it burn".

Oh did I say new? I meant additional; there is one more person in the chain of command now. Awesome.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and nothing of value was added.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I don't buy lottery tickets on my own but i definitely participate in group lotteries at work. Last thing you want is to be the poor bastard who didn't buy in and has to keep working

The last time there was a big payout and my office was buying tickets as a group, I chose not to participate.
    The day after the big payout was won and the whole office had to come in because they weren't the winners, I asked how it was possible. Before they could answer, I hit sadtrombone.com

I feel it worked out for everyone.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Got a new boss at work today. Technically last week, but I wasn't here then. He is also an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing, and even my direct supervisor said "don't get written up for insubordination, so just do what he says and watch it burn".

Oh did I say new? I meant additional; there is one more person in the chain of command now. Awesome.

Oh more bosses is always great for moral.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    One upside of this custom made software and its eccentricities is that I can quickly identify fuckmuppetry at a glance.

For example, the fellow doing two buildings in 9 minutes while his comrades start at 13 and go up to 20, that fellow is a muppet. A fuck muppet.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I do feel bad that I had to go back to Walmart seeing I had no other choice
    It's just sad to see the state of cap 2 and what it's like now compared to what I had it at when I got fired. Because I am back to overnights I now have to stay up all night but it's not warm enough to paint and my other choice to clean I can only do so much
    Still I found it odd two days in I was upgraded from part time to full because of the turnover and sadly I am a far better worker than most of that crew
    Just two more days till I can afford things once more it will be odd. I know when my federal return comes in I will buy a new bike but sadly I because I am back to working overnights I will have to plan out my trip far in advance when I go to the store

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

Oh more bosses is always great for moral.
    It's also worth noting that this is almost a direct response to my supervisor and his counterpart on the afternoon shift saying "hey we need more people that's why we're not running as well as you want us to".

Gotta love Corporate.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ok, started early again today due to some tasks I have to do this week but today has already started off way better than yesterday.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I’ve written about this before, but our offshore team is maddeningly, time-wastingly polite.

I’m also polite but I don’t need to hear or to say “hi, how are you? Hope all is well” every single time we message each other every single time we talk. You can be polite without trading pleasantries every time.

It usually doesn’t matter but sometimes it just gets to be too much.

I’d be more okay with it if they actually answered the question I messaged them specifically to ask them. Like now. I ping one of the offshore team to ask them the status of something. The only thing I know is that they enjoyed the long weekend but they had to take a family member of theirs to the doctor on Friday.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

The real fun times is when the "group" wins and the person who bought the tickets basically ghosts the group and you have to sue them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    If we won the lottery an entire department would go dark literally overnight. It would no longer be functional.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

The real fun times is when the "group" wins and the person who bought the tickets basically ghosts the group and you have to sue them.

When I was working at a casino fresh from the Corps
    One of the pit bosses ran a group lotto group, She would pay out X if they won {x being how many paid into it and divided} One day she comes in I see her pay 3 people in the lunch room $20 saying it was a good week
    She then quits later that day, Weeks later a rumor pops up that instead of $500 it was $250k they won but no one can find her

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    When my office did lottery pools, the guy who bought the tickets would scan all the tickets into a few pages of PDF and send it to everyone who bought in. Wouldn't exactly stop them from fleeing the country overnight, but you would at least know exactly how much was won.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think my workplace is more bosses than workers. Like for real.

And its the least efficiently run place you could possibly imagine
    bowen wrote: »

Im not sure exactly how it works in the states but here in Canada we could go to the lotto corp itself if we needed to. The key is to have proof that there was a group lotto and that you were all involved.

The guy who runs the one im in is very good about emailing us regularly saying who is in, how much money we owe, etc etc

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The NYS lotto commission doesn't usually get involved and it becomes a civil matter which has to be sued in court I think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My headphones broke today, I'm only getting sound through one ear now. Which happens with every set of headphones I ever own, eventually. I guess I'll try and fix the wiring, but if I can't does anyone have a recommendation for a set of blutooth headphones? I've always put off buying them because I don't like the idea of having to keep them charged, but I think it's time for me to give up on wired ones.

I only like proper headphones though, not in-ear ones.

This discussion has been closed.