As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread to discuss [JRPGs]

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    1. Pretty close, but the thing you think is the boss battle is not the final boss. But you'll still be stuck with the same party, so make sure you got your favorites chosen before you start.
    2. Don't know, lol!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Nier Automata
    So I... beat all the arenas. And found the uh... hmm.
    Doll snuff film ending?
    https://youtu.be/hStcqGxn4xg (2:07)

That was the highest production value FMV in the game? But... really though...

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Nier Automata
    So I... beat all the arenas. And found the uh... hmm.
    Doll snuff film ending?
    https://youtu.be/hStcqGxn4xg (2:07)

That was the highest production value FMV in the game? But... really though...

It’s fine

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Yeah, that one weirded me out, too. It was...obtuse.

Also the only achievement I bought was the one where you 'learn 2b's secret' because ew.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Yeah, that one weirded me out, too. It was...obtuse.

Also the only achievement I bought was the one where you 'learn 2b's secret' because ew.

I'm reading this and having to think about it because there's actually an interesting secret she has.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Okay, that bit that completely threw me makes a tad more sense now. All the arenas are DLC content (the Xbox version has all the DLC included automatically to make up for delayed release date) so that was technically the ending of the DLC, not just a random cutscene at the end of a random quest chain. So the production value was their idea of a reward for actually going through with the DLC.

I thought that the weapon requirements were a tad more lenient than the hell that the original Nier became by the end but these Elaborate Gadgets are going to be the death of me. And Large Gears can eat me.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    yoko taro doesn't think you should be a completionist and his games are designed to make you feel that way too

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    P10 wrote: »
    yoko taro doesn't think you should be a completionist and his games are designed to make you feel that way too

If he doesn't want people to complete the game, he shouldn't hide the true ending content behind the longest thing. I think it's frankly untrue that he would want no one to see the crazy secret endings... that's what started the Nier series in the first place. I think the reason these games get annoying is some mix of:
    1) actual enjoyment out of trolling the audience
    2) bad game design sense

Like... Drakengard's combat wasn't terrible for any meta reason, they're just not the best at designing games. Platinum made this one way more mechanically sound, but we still have crap like "Get 5 of this thing that randomly spawns in 3 inconvenient places, VERY seldomly."

Yesterday's stuff should have been the MOST annoying stuff out of the way. I need to find a few more fish, get Emil to spawn in the right place for once, and luck into spawns (or do the hacking challenge mode) and then I can turn the corner on the E and Y endings. Compared to Nier's "speed run the whole game" (which was actually pretty fun) and "grow plants in real time", this game is still MASSIVELY less of a hassle.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Personally I think the combat is pretty boring in Automata

Like it's more functional than other games in the series/meta-series, but it's not good

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Finished Trails of Cold Steel 3. I liked that one. I liked 4/5 of the new cast. Good punchy ending. Cold Steel 2 had a punchy ending and then said here, play 3 more entire sections, just to wind down so you dont get a cramp or something.
    That was a lot of Trails games.

What uh...what am I gonna do now?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Personally I think the combat is pretty boring in Automata

Like it's more functional than other games in the series/meta-series, but it's not good

I don't think its bad just basic.

Like what you're doing at the start is more or less what you'll be doing towards the end.

• Options
    The absolute best thing I can say about it is that it's functional

Honestly, I was way into the playthrough B mechanic because I didn't have any fun fighting and it was often faster

• Options
    The original Nier had more going on with bullet hell stuff, they transferred most of that to the hacking this time around.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Wow, none of the guides on this game did their homework with the DLC, which sure wasted a LOT of my time. The level 50 robot controlling arena fight spits out Elaborate Gadgets as a COMMON reward. I wonder if Simple Gadgets are there too... I'm down to the last 3 or 4 simple tasks here, should round the bend on 100% tonight.

Edit: And that's finish line. Considered final messages:
    "Proposal: Don't make excuses, put your back into it, you $&*@#!" This is how Keine's theoretical Pod would say it.
    "I like 2B, but YOU need to know when to give up." Advice 9S needed to hear at some point.
    "Help isn't coming. If that's the truth, why not stop already?" This is how the writers of those fucking bleak weapon stories would 'help' out.

My actual message:
    "I saw this through to the end. And thus, I'm in your corner."

I didn't delete my data, I do have some interest in a few tasks that didn't hit max percent. If this game is ever to be removed from Gamepass, I'll definitely do it right away, though

Re-edit: slept on it. I'm deleting after all. I can use the other (Ps4) version if I really want to revisit.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I finished Suikoden. It's a nice little game! Definitely some 1995 JRPG jank, inventory and party management is a pain, spells and crystals are pretty mysterious. But the story was nice and collecting the 108 stars was very satsifying.

I understand Suikoden II is widely regarded as "the good one". Does it play much different from 1? I could use some quality of life upgrades. Do I stop there? My understanding is:
    Suikoden 3: Not Good
    Suikoden 4: Very Good
    Suikoden 5: Very bad

I will probably stop with 2 in any case, but I'm curious what people think.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    captaink wrote: »
    I finished Suikoden. It's a nice little game! Definitely some 1995 JRPG jank, inventory and party management is a pain, spells and crystals are pretty mysterious. But the story was nice and collecting the 108 stars was very satsifying.

I understand Suikoden II is widely regarded as "the good one". Does it play much different from 1? I could use some quality of life upgrades. Do I stop there? My understanding is:
    Suikoden 3: Not Good
    Suikoden 4: Very Good
    Suikoden 5: Very bad

I will probably stop with 2 in any case, but I'm curious what people think.

4 and 5 should be swapped. 4 is terrible with terrible ship combat that is terrible, and 5 tries to be a return to form but in a 3d setting, but while decent, is very much 'too little too late'

2 is good and looks/plays a lot like 1. 3 and 5 are both decent but for different reasons, with 3 being a pretty big departure but decent characters. 4 is just bad.

Javen on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Suiko2 is the closest to the original, there are improvements overall from gameplay to presentation but you'll probably notice the most change in the army battles. There's also a save file transfer option for some additional connections to the first game, make sure you use that.

3 is decent but takes some wild departures from the first two, it's also the last one the original creator/writer worked on before parting ways with konami, so the story kind of sets itself up for a resolution that will never come :cry:

Because of that everything that's come after has either been set way earlier in the timeline or been a tenuously related spinoff (the DS one)
    imo 4 was The Bad One and 5 started to get better, but i never finished either. All of the later ones fall short in comparison since II is one of the greatest jrpgs ever made and all

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    man, the final dungeon in TiTS 1 keeps going, huh?

just keeps on going with no goddamn map

• Options
    My personal Suikoden feelings are that 1 is pretty good but very rudimentary

2 is a refinement on 1 in virtually every way and is excellent

3 is kind of bad even though I like a lot of the cast, mechanically everything about it is just not fun

4 is bad in virtually every way that it possibly could be, it is excrement

5 is really good, harkens back to a lot of what made those first two games good, adds enough to be a refinement of the formula on top of that, probably my second favorit after 2

• Options
    My hot take is that the ship battles in 4, which were so simplistic they may as well not have even been in the game, were better than the large scale battles in 3

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I enjoyed Suikoden 5 a lot until I accidentally missed a character permanently because I visited him like 4 times instead of 5 which kinda bummed me out and made me fell off the game, it reminded me a lot of 2, which kinda bummed me out because I reached the late game without knowing how important collecting every pokemon is to the ending and I couldn't accept that event happening so I stopped playing. That was a long ass time ago though.

Peas on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    S3 has some baffling design choices. The protags each have their own stories that somewhat, but never quite, meet up. While this allows the story to cover way more ground, and also very effectively uses these different viewpoints to offer differing perspectives on the same events, it ultimately fails to produce a cohesive narrative. They also shunted all of the castle building and recruitment stuff to a single character who never quite escapes from being an ascended extra. Just doesn't really feel like a Suikoden game, which is weird to play after finishing the hype train that is S2.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I enjoyed Suikoden 5 a lot until I accidentally missed a character permanently because I visited him like 4 times instead of 5 which kinda bummed me out and made me fell off the game, it reminded me a lot of 2, which kinda bummed me out because I reached the late game without knowing how important collecting every pokemon is to the ending and I couldn't accept that event happening so I stopped playing. That was a long ass time ago though.

oh yeah @captaink if you're going for all 108 stars in your first run (and for suikoden II collecting them all is very worth it), i'm appending this spoiler-free gamefaqs forum post which details only the few missable characters
    What I can offer you right now is a "DO NOT MISS THESE" limited-chance recruitments, and I can do this in as spoiler-free a way as possible.

NOTE: While I am TRYING to keep them in order, I might have 2 and 3 mixed up.

NOTE 2: The nicknames I use may not be perfect matches to their character, but are the best I can come up with.

1: "Animal companion" - before leaving the hero's hometown, in the backyard of his house, there is a tree. Circle around it three full times (I don't remember if it has to be a specific direction), and someone will tag along. (This one technically can be obtained later, with no closing to its window of opportunity, but the method is much more obscure and relies on RNG. Better to get it now, guaranteed easy.)

2: "Mercenary captain" - in a relatively early War Battle, one of your allies will recognize someone working for the other team. This battle is the ONLY chance to recruit this person, and you must follow these steps:
    - Inflict enough damage to the mercenary's unit to show a "sword" on his battle icon.
    - After dialog between your ally and this person, he will switch to your side.
    - Make sure his unit is not killed during the remainder of the battle (he's down half his troops, after all!).

3: "Hunter" - In what I believe is your second-ever visit to Muse city (you'll know it's the right visit because you need a permit to get in at that time), be sure to thoroughly explore various back alleys. When you go through one, an event will occur. If (and only if) it does, then when you eventually have to leave the city, another event will occur. Significantly later, one of the involved characters will be available to recruit, but only if you saw these events.

4: "Two Old Friends" - During a segment of the game that takes you to a region known as "Matilda Knightdom", make it a point to visit an optional village en route to the main city there. After fiddling around in that village enough, you will trigger a sidequest that gets you two recruits. After the story events in this region, however, you will be locked out until AFTER the point where the game "checks for 108 Stars". (Technically, there is a glitch that can be used to access the area even when it is locked out, but better to just get them when the getting's good.)

5: "Beasts". There will come a point where you are given two special items which you can use to recruit special monster recruits. However, there are four such beasts, and one of them is actually not a Star of Destiny. That one is of the same monster type as one that is, so just remember this: Make sure your Beast Stars are different beast types. (One of the other beasts makes getting a certain recruit much easier than it would otherwise be, but only a few years ago, players found that the game left an alternate method for that recruit. Unless you wish to know more, I will only say that said other recruit joins with that Beast recruit.)

..... I think that's all the Truly Missables (plus one that can be a pain to get if you miss the early chance), spoiling no more than is critically necessary to identify the opportunities involved. For everyone else, they either join during the story (if any give you the option to refuse, don't take it - or it will be YOUR fault for missing out), or can be gained any time after they first become available.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    My hot take is that the ship battles in 4, which were so simplistic they may as well not have even been in the game, were better than the large scale battles in 3

A big problem 2 and 3 have with their war battles is that almost all of them are scripted so you don't really get to play with the mechanics much.

Also, 5>1>2>>4>>>>>3.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »

oh yeah @captaink if you're going for all 108 stars in your first run (and for suikoden II collecting them all is very worth it), i'm appending this spoiler-free gamefaqs forum post which details only the few missable characters
    What I can offer you right now is a "DO NOT MISS THESE" limited-chance recruitments, and I can do this in as spoiler-free a way as possible.

NOTE: While I am TRYING to keep them in order, I might have 2 and 3 mixed up.

NOTE 2: The nicknames I use may not be perfect matches to their character, but are the best I can come up with.

1: "Animal companion" - before leaving the hero's hometown, in the backyard of his house, there is a tree. Circle around it three full times (I don't remember if it has to be a specific direction), and someone will tag along. (This one technically can be obtained later, with no closing to its window of opportunity, but the method is much more obscure and relies on RNG. Better to get it now, guaranteed easy.)

2: "Mercenary captain" - in a relatively early War Battle, one of your allies will recognize someone working for the other team. This battle is the ONLY chance to recruit this person, and you must follow these steps:
    - Inflict enough damage to the mercenary's unit to show a "sword" on his battle icon.
    - After dialog between your ally and this person, he will switch to your side.
    - Make sure his unit is not killed during the remainder of the battle (he's down half his troops, after all!).

3: "Hunter" - In what I believe is your second-ever visit to Muse city (you'll know it's the right visit because you need a permit to get in at that time), be sure to thoroughly explore various back alleys. When you go through one, an event will occur. If (and only if) it does, then when you eventually have to leave the city, another event will occur. Significantly later, one of the involved characters will be available to recruit, but only if you saw these events.

4: "Two Old Friends" - During a segment of the game that takes you to a region known as "Matilda Knightdom", make it a point to visit an optional village en route to the main city there. After fiddling around in that village enough, you will trigger a sidequest that gets you two recruits. After the story events in this region, however, you will be locked out until AFTER the point where the game "checks for 108 Stars". (Technically, there is a glitch that can be used to access the area even when it is locked out, but better to just get them when the getting's good.)

5: "Beasts". There will come a point where you are given two special items which you can use to recruit special monster recruits. However, there are four such beasts, and one of them is actually not a Star of Destiny. That one is of the same monster type as one that is, so just remember this: Make sure your Beast Stars are different beast types. (One of the other beasts makes getting a certain recruit much easier than it would otherwise be, but only a few years ago, players found that the game left an alternate method for that recruit. Unless you wish to know more, I will only say that said other recruit joins with that Beast recruit.)

..... I think that's all the Truly Missables (plus one that can be a pain to get if you miss the early chance), spoiling no more than is critically necessary to identify the opportunities involved. For everyone else, they either join during the story (if any give you the option to refuse, don't take it - or it will be YOUR fault for missing out), or can be gained any time after they first become available.

I think I will do just this, thanks.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    i finished playing cold steel 3 and am now declaring that Cold Steel 3 is my most hated game, and am on a mountaintop swearing eternal enmity toward Nihon Falcom

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    All this Suikotalk makes me want to replay the first two again...

Man you know what? S2 has a baller opening though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4eGQ9MIWM

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    I managed to beat xenoblade 2 just in time for xenoblade DE though I still got Torna to get through

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The worst JRPG I ever played, without question, is Koudelka.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ok so TiTS 1
    I just entered
    the dungeon under Grancel castle after saving the queen

and I have 2 questions:
    1. how close to the end am I
    2. why the fuck do I have like 400k mira and nothing to spend it on? what was the point of winning money in the arena
    1. That's the last dungeon in the game, depending on how thoroughly you explore it you have anywhere between 1 and 3 hours left of playtime.

2. Talk to Professor Russell and stock up on full heal and revive items. Don't worry about healing magic at this point, just use items.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »
    I managed to beat xenoblade 2 just in time for xenoblade DE though I still got Torna k get through

I'm still torn on whether to grab XCDE. I had it on the Wii and I remember really liking it up until I suddenly stopped playing. I think it was in the area after you get the weird swamp creature in your party.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    simulacrum wrote: »
    I managed to beat xenoblade 2 just in time for xenoblade DE though I still got Torna k get through

I'm still torn on whether to grab XCDE. I had it on the Wii and I remember really liking it up until I suddenly stopped playing. I think it was in the area after you get the weird swamp creature in your party.

Hey, Heropon is not weird swamp creature! Heropon is weird jungle creature!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I don't know what made you stop playing, unless it was just one of those "I dunno, I just forgot" things (lord knows I've got a bunch of games like that), but the new version should have a fair number of quality-of-life improvements to the UI and stuff. Plus, being on the Switch means it'll be easier to pick it up and put it down than it was on the Wii.

• Options
    I stopped around that point too, I feel like that's when it kinda registers how big this game is, and as far as I remember no big plot twists have happened so far at that point. You get to this other big city with 40 more sidequests and I too went well there's other things I'd like to play.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    All I'm going to say is that if I'm remembering the layout of Bionis correctly there was some foreshadowing you may have missed.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    I mean yeah I remember the big event at the end of the first area, there were some cool sequences, it's definitely good

what I remember of the plot at that point is "Gotta get to the head", gotta fight the Mechons, gotta activate the Bionis to fight the Mechonis

Definitely got the feeling the Big Twist was gonna happen at the head, which I wasn't up to yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That's a part of the game where twists do start happening, but it's understandable if it wasn't grabbing you by that point.

• Options
    I think the switch remake mentioned better quest tracking, which would be a major selling point.

The build-up town (can't remember the name) had tons of shit going on, and it was hard to keep track of it all.

I also remember wasting a bunch of time chasing shinies to try and get a full set, which was stupid of me, but also stupid of the game.

• Options
    It wasn't even not grabbing me, I liked it and like I'll definitely go back someday. Just I guess some other game must've come out that took my attention away.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    That's a part of the game where twists do start happening, but it's understandable if it wasn't grabbing you by that point.

It hints at some of them before you get to the head but it's entirely possible to miss the hints. Some of them are just random NPC conversations (named NPCs, but)

This discussion has been closed.