As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread to discuss [JRPGs]

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    If you're looking for a JRPG that's full of timed hits and a weird ass story, but also a good soundtrack, then I shall again recommend Virgo vs. The Zodiacs, which came out a couple weeks ago.

It's pretty solid, only about 15ish hours long, and has 3 distinct endings, none of which is the "true ending" just 3 different ways things could go.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My problem with Berseria is that I just cannot remember and execute button sequences. Anything more than this button to light attack and this button to heavy attack doesn't stay in my brain.

• Options
    atmaatma Deep RiverRegistered User regular
    I see Flying Fairy Fencer PS4 edition is $4 at the moment . That's... probably worth it, right? Even if the game isn't necessarily up my alley?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    if the game is not up your alley it is worth $0 to you

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Not technically a J rpg as the dev is Western but I also really need to mention Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass on Steam. it was my GOTY when it came out and I’ve 100%’d it multiple times.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    That sounds fantastic!
    The trailer gives off a pretty great vibe, I'll give it a shot.

• Options
    mageormike wrote: »
    That sounds fantastic!
    The trailer gives off a pretty great vibe, I'll give it a shot.

An excellent choice! One recommendation: don’t be afraid to put it on easy mode. I don’t think it even changes enemy stats. It just gives you more experience and money.

Also explore everywhere! There are tons of side dungeons and optional content. Some of it is “just” extra story and character building and some of it will give you excellent equipment and items!

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Honestly, I am over the anime tropes of your typical JRPGs.
    In the future I'm probably going to only go for JRPG-inspired games like this or Undertale.

• Options
    A good JRPG-inspired game is Battle Chasers Nightwar.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    The thing about Berseria's combat is it isn't like, super deep or challenging or anything, but it does all the things that I find important in an action game. At the most basic level, hitting stuff feels good. Each character gets a ton of different moves that all look really cool, and each character gets a fun unique gimmick to make them play differently. Rokurou's being a parry that also doubled as a cancel was really interesting, so you could simply use it to extend combos or land a parry mid-combo and feel like a huge badass. Eizen was pretty much my favorite though, with his gimmick being "are there any enemies currently stunned on the field? If so, teleport to them and turn into a smoke-dragon-man and blow them up and then dive on them and blow up some more. The further you were in the game the more things blew up.

I was also pleasantly surprised when character started unlocking supers and they were all really hype. Even playing for like 60 or 70 hours or whatever I didn't even get tired of the level 1 supers, and it was really satisfying unlocking all the level 3 supers near the end of the game and figuring out how to land them. Still never managed to land Magilou's though.

I also have a weakness for characters yelling out their big dumb move names in anime and video games and the Berseria cast kills it.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    The voice acting in Berseria is so goddamn good. Like, “performance of their career” level.

Especially Christina Vee as Velvet

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You're making me want to put aside my platinuming of Zestiria to go back to platinuming Berseria.

My issue with Berseria was I couldn't find a great Grade farming trick that worked for me.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    atma wrote: »
    I see Flying Fairy Fencer PS4 edition is $4 at the moment . That's... probably worth it, right? Even if the game isn't necessarily up my alley?

It's pretty enjoyable but make sure you're getting Advent Dark Force and not the original version. There's no reason to play the non-remake/director's cut.

It's one of those few RPGs that has wildly different story paths depending on your choices in the game, where your enemies and allies differ and the plot goes in different directions.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

It's pretty enjoyable but make sure you're getting Advent Dark Force and not the original version. There's no reason to play the non-remake/director's cut.

It's one of those few RPGs that has wildly different story paths depending on your choices in the game, where your enemies and allies differ and the plot goes in different directions.

But are the characters or plots actually good?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The protagonist of DQ XI must get quite a bit of satisfaction from smashing people's pots and barrels in front of them.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I liked them, Harley especially. It's very, very anime though. Check your own tolerance levels.

MC wants no part in this shit he got roped into by pulling out a legendary sword, yada yada.

Has a very amusing secret character recruitment done by grinding enough to kick their ass and force them into your party.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I liked them, Harley especially. It's very, very anime though. Check your own tolerance levels.

MC wants no part in this shit he got roped into by pulling out a legendary sword, yada yada.

Has a very amusing secret character recruitment done by grinding enough to kick their ass and force them into your party.

The second part was definitely fun but then
    He morphed into generic shounen anime guy who wants to save the world and that's not what I found fun about the game. Though I played the original and not Dark Force because it wasn't out.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

The second part was definitely fun but then
    He morphed into generic shounen anime guy who wants to save the world and that's not what I found fun about the game. Though I played the original and not Dark Force because it wasn't out.

That story's still in there. Advent Dark Force just adds two other story route splits you can go on as well.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'll crosspost this over here since it applies to both threads..

But Y7 is out in Japan now so everything about the game and japanese reviews/impressions will but up. Famitsu gave 10/10/9/9 but it's famitsu so whatever.

Also looks like it may be getting dubbed by the Judgment dub team which is HUGE news for dub folks like me that hate subs.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I got the digimon story cyber sleuth collection for the switch, anyone have sweet digitips and digitricks, this evo/devo stat growth system is underexplained

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »
    I got the digimon story cyber sleuth collection for the switch, anyone have sweet digitips and digitricks, this evo/devo stat growth system is underexplained

believe in the heart of the cards

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

believe in the heart of the cards

Digimon are digital monsters. Digimon may, potentially, be the champions.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    listen if this was a card game I would grok it immediately

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my advice is to make sure you don't evolve all your team at once because then you'll have a team of level 1 digimon, go "ugh. fuck. right." and quit the game instead of spending two hours grinding to be able to play the game again

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah I should play more of that digimon game

• Options
    my advice is to make sure you don't evolve all your team at once because then you'll have a team of level 1 digimon, go "ugh. fuck. right." and quit the game instead of spending two hours grinding to be able to play the game again

this sounds like a speaking from experience story

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Another digi-tip:

If you want a particular digi caught up because you just got a baby you need/just digivolved them just leave them on the farm training their xp overnight.

Saves you a bunch of grinding while still letting you set-up the digis you want.

• Options

That and their team cost change on evo may screw you over, so just keep an eye on it.

When they evolve they do have higher stats so you're not completely boned.

Also it's a Vita port, so just...know that and calibrate expectations around that. It's not a ps4 game ported to PC/Switch. It's a Vita game ported to PS4 and then Ported to Switch.

• Options

That and their team cost change on evo may screw you over, so just keep an eye on it.

When they evolve they do have higher stats so you're not completely boned.

Also it's a Vita port, so just...know that and calibrate expectations around that. It's not a ps4 game ported to PC/Switch. It's a Vita game ported to PS4 and then Ported to Switch.

Still looks and runs like high art compared to it's competition in the genre that actually came out for the Switch natively. And still looks good compared to the indy games in the genre on PC.

• Options
    I found those digi games way more fun than they had any right to be.

Relatively simple but just had all the right bits of team building and customization that I just had a blast building my digi-team of doom and destruction.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

You can Digivolve up when you meet conditions and down whenever you want. Each time you Digivolve it resets to Level 1 and grants a varying amount of Ability (ABI), with more for going down than up. Since some evolution paths require more ABI you'll need to get in the habit of using Digivolve a lot and going back and forth. Don't be worried about Level 1 either, they gain those levels again very quickly.

ABI gives bonus points that can be allocated when training a Digimon in the Farm, which is how you meet stat requirements for later evolutions.

CAM is sometimes needed for evolutions and can be gained by having the Digimon participate in combat or feeding them meat in the Farm

• Options
    I found those digi games way more fun than they had any right to be.

Relatively simple but just had all the right bits of team building and customization that I just had a blast building my digi-team of doom and destruction.

Yeah I like the few hours I’ve put in so far. It’s hitting all the same pokemon dopamine receptors, which is both, duh, and also surprise at them succeeding

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Cybersleuth is better than most Pokémon games IMO

• Options
    What the Pokemon games have is endgame PvP with a huge community. That's gonna be in their favor.

They haven't been greatly improving their singleplayer in a while, which is depressing.

• Options
    Jurps are never subtle so i'm going to assume Flayn is actually secretly 1000 years old from what she's been saying.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8SoGxfH3E&feature=emb_title

Even they are joking that this is just Persona 5-2 now.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8SoGxfH3E&feature=emb_title

Even they are joking that this is just Persona 5-2 now.

I really hope the Switch version of this is good, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be 1:1 with the PS4 version unfortunately.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Jurps are never subtle so i'm going to assume Flayn is actually secretly 1000 years old from what she's been saying.

To be fair, Flayn not being subtle is definitely a character trait of hers

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

To be fair, Flayn not being subtle is definitely a character trait of hers

What do you mean? She's just a regular little girl!

• Options
    Edelgard is also probably this masked knight person, not the death knight but his boss, because she conveniently "had to tell the knights" about the two unconscious people and so couldn't be present for that battle.

I've played Trails of Cold Steel I know how this nonsense works.

This discussion has been closed.